Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What are your favorite discontinued food items?

I know this is a weird one, but Campbell's Golden Corn Soup. I may be romanticizing something from my childhood, but Campbell's debuted this soup when I was a kid in the early 90s and it was so good. My parents always had some in the pantry. It had a wonderfully rich, creamy sweet golden corn flavor and while I've had great corn chowders and chicken corn soups at fine restaurants over the years, none has approached this surprisingly excellent condensed soup flavor from Campbell's. I guess it didn't sell, because it was discontinued sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s. Shame, as Campbell's certainly has some "niche" flavors they still make that I'm surprised sell that much. I mean, they still have Cream of Celery (ugh), but no Golden Corn. And, no, their "Chunky" brand of Chicken Corn Chowder is not the same thing. Trust me.

What discontinued food products do you miss?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295August 16, 2020 7:11 PM

Cream of celery is used in many recipes similar to the golden mushroom

by Anonymousreply 1November 6, 2015 5:37 AM

I miss the large cans of Cabbage Soup by Habitant. I know the product was discontinued maybe 20 years ago but I still look for it.

by Anonymousreply 2November 6, 2015 5:44 AM

In Eastern Canada, not one store carries Chicken Liver Pate. Nowhere to be found. But if you live in Halifax, you can trot over to the Newfoundland Store and get your fill of ...unmentionable products.

by Anonymousreply 3November 6, 2015 5:58 AM

Mickey Mouse Ice Cream

Jell-o Pudding Pops - the banana ones

by Anonymousreply 4November 6, 2015 6:06 AM

Apple Slice...my favorite soda in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 5November 6, 2015 6:13 AM

PorkUmms

by Anonymousreply 6November 6, 2015 6:14 AM

doo dads

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 6, 2015 6:16 AM

Trader Joe's Spa Salad

by Anonymousreply 8November 6, 2015 6:25 AM

R8, yes! I remember that salad. I actually prefer prepping my own salads for work, but if I was having a busy week, that salad was a reliable backup. In the early 2000s, they also used to sell these mango flavored hard candies near the checkout at Trader Joe's. Not the gummy mango/yogurt candies they still sell. These were hard candies and they were made with real Indian Alphonso mangoes - known as the king of mangoes for their incredibly rich, densely flavored and fragrant fruit. I'm not a candy junkie, but I LOVED those candies. A much greater depth of flavor than in something like a revolting Jolly Rancher. Anyone else remember those candies? Don't remember if they were sold under the TJ's brand. If not, perhaps I can track them down online!

by Anonymousreply 9November 6, 2015 6:53 AM

Banana Quick

Noodles Romanoff

by Anonymousreply 10November 6, 2015 10:18 AM

Aunt Jemima Easy-Bake Coffee Cake and Corn Bread. These were the ones with the mixing bag full of mix and a baking pan. So good, so very gone.

by Anonymousreply 11November 6, 2015 10:52 AM

Golden corn? When did I eat golden corn?

by Anonymousreply 12November 6, 2015 11:22 AM

Carnation Instant Breakfast Bars. Much better than all the tasteless bars they peddle these days.

by Anonymousreply 13November 6, 2015 11:38 AM

Uneeda Biscuts

by Anonymousreply 14November 6, 2015 11:41 AM

A decent $20 blow job. What's happened to America?

by Anonymousreply 15November 6, 2015 11:48 AM

15 replies and no one has mentioned Entemanns Celebration Cakes yet ? You're slipping DL.

by Anonymousreply 16November 6, 2015 11:52 AM

The correct answer to this is, and will forever be, Dutch Apple Pop-Tarts.

by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2015 11:59 AM

I was just thinking about this... Dunkaroos

by Anonymousreply 18November 6, 2015 12:03 PM

OP take consolation in the fact that they would be using GMO corn by now and it would be damaging to your health.

by Anonymousreply 19November 6, 2015 12:24 PM

FOODS are not discontinued, products may no longer be manufactured but food is not something that is "discontinued". real food that is

by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2015 12:32 PM

Metrecal cookies!

by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2015 12:34 PM

There should be a rule on these threads to link the products that you list.

by Anonymousreply 22November 6, 2015 1:11 PM

When I was a kid, Swanson's did a Hungry Man frozen dinner with barbeque fried chicken that I loved. They now have a spicy fried chicken frozen dinner but I haven't seen the BBQ one since the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 23November 6, 2015 1:19 PM

Banquet Boilin' Bags

There were still truth in advertising laws in those days, so instead of being called Roast Beef and Gravy or Turkey and Gravy, they were called Gravy and Roast Beef and Gravy and Turkey

They also had Chicken a la King and Pepper Steak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 6, 2015 1:32 PM

Jello- Three in one. I almost took to the bed when Jello stopped making it. I always loved the 'chiffon' layer the most.

by Anonymousreply 25November 6, 2015 1:40 PM

^^^took to the bed.

by Anonymousreply 26November 6, 2015 1:42 PM

I'm sorry, OP, but that corn slop looks like vomit. No wonder it didn't sell.

by Anonymousreply 27November 6, 2015 1:49 PM

R20, the OP used a compound noun: "food items". Items can be discontinued.

by Anonymousreply 28November 6, 2015 1:57 PM

I'm fascinated with that Kellogg's Concentrate cereal mentioned on another thread. I read reviews about it and now I really just want to taste it one time. Surely somebody made a knockoff of it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 6, 2015 2:01 PM

Team Flakes A breakfast staple in the 70's where the flakes actual stayed crunchy to the bottom of the bowl. I miss this cerealšŸ˜¢

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 6, 2015 2:02 PM

Viennetta. One slice is never enough!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 6, 2015 2:09 PM

Another missed cereal would be the maple goodness of Buc Wheats. It did not stay as crunchy as Team but the flavor was unique and delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 6, 2015 2:11 PM

Frito-Lay made a type of white corn chips in the early 1990s. They were either Tostitos or Doritos, and you had the choice of Salsa or Plain Flavors. The Salsa flavor was so good, I could eat a bag in a day. Then they disappeared. I can't find a picture of them, so maybe they were being test-marketed where I live.

by Anonymousreply 33November 6, 2015 2:28 PM

Callard and Bowser Butterscotch

by Anonymousreply 34November 6, 2015 2:29 PM

It was Jell-O 1.2.3.

I miss AYDS diet candies and cleaning my clothes with Tide XK

by Anonymousreply 35November 6, 2015 2:31 PM

Haagen-Dazs Strawberry Cheesecake Frozen Yogurt.

by Anonymousreply 36November 6, 2015 2:31 PM

This has become a repeat of my thread last week, what food can't you get?

by Anonymousreply 37November 6, 2015 2:31 PM

Jell-O Gelatin Pops. They had a very thin, icy layer on the outside, and a custard-like texture within. The only "retro" food I really miss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 6, 2015 2:36 PM

Unfrosted Pop Tarts. Used to love the Brown Sugar and Cinnamon ones. Pop them in the toaster and then spread a little butter on top! Also, the blueberry ones.

Burry chocolate cookies with the sugar crystals on top.

Sunshine Chocolate Nugget cookies. They had chocolate chips AND nuts!

Nabisco German Chocolate Cookies. They weren't sweet and had real German chocolate cake icing on them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 6, 2015 2:45 PM

R30, their ad slogan, "Now You Can Relax While You Eat," was not, in any way, an exaggeration. I haven't had a peaceful, stress-free breakfast in the 20 years Team hasn't been available.

by Anonymousreply 40November 6, 2015 2:58 PM

[quote]Burry chocolate cookies with the sugar crystals on top.

Can't get any Burry cookies. I liked the chocolate-stuffed chocolate cookies. Remember when they made Girl Scout Cookies?

Also, Brown Edge Wafers from Nabisco.

by Anonymousreply 41November 6, 2015 3:20 PM

[quote] Pop them in the toaster and then spread a little butter on top!

Marry me!

by Anonymousreply 42November 6, 2015 3:25 PM

Birds-Eye used to make New Orleans-Style frozen vegetables: limas, green beans, onions(?) red peppers in a tomato-y sauce. They used to be fantastic when paired with Shake 'n Bake Bar-B-Q for pork chops and mashed potatoes. Nummy-nums, but alas, no longer available.

Never bought the Kellogg's Concentrate, but was a fan of Pep Flakes. It was discontinued in grocery stores, but seemingly available for a few years after at diners.

Burry's cookies WERE good. The round, chocolate ones with the concentric ridges(and center hole) actually tasted of chocolate. You could pop one on the end of each finger, and nibble away, making them last as long as possible.

And those flat, shiny, plank-like raisin-filled cookies that Hydrox made, oh man..... And they had the first and best version of what was to became Oreos by Nabisco.

Are the Hostess fruit pies still available? Fried, I'm assuming, roughly semi-circular,and they were sugar-glazed. Ooh, the cherry and apple ones were SO good.

by Anonymousreply 43November 6, 2015 4:11 PM

Stouffer's Beef Stroganoff.

You can get Vienetta-type treats all over the place in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 44November 6, 2015 4:18 PM

Team flakes were my grandfather's cereal. Whenever we visited, that's what we got. Good memories.

Though back then I would have preferred Quisp or Freakies cereal.

by Anonymousreply 45November 6, 2015 4:48 PM

R43 ā€” Ys, I remember those raisin-filled plank-like cookies. I think they might have been called ā€œfruit barsā€ or some such, but I canā€™t remember for sure. Funny you should mention those, because I just flashed on them a week or so ago after not thinking about them for years.

Other missed foods include:

Amazo instant pudding, which had a unique flavor that was borderline awful at first, but then you got used to it.

Sierra Mints, a cookie similar to Girl Scout thin mints, but way, way better.

Ore-Ida shredded potato patties (not the square ones sold today).

Bosco chocolate syrup.

7-Up Gold.

Campbellā€™s Scotch broth.

Franco-American canned macaroni & cheese (it was only good if you added a few tablespoons of grated cheese to it).

Banquet Italian TV dinners.

Rosarita Mexican TV dinners.

Body Buddies cereal.

And the latest wonderfulness thatā€™s been discontinued nationwide is (drum roll, please): Gingeroos from Trader Joeā€™s. Yes, these chewy ginger cookies with bits of real ginger inside them have been permanently discontinued. When I wrote to TJā€™s to bitch about this tragedy, I was told that sales of Gingeroos were way down, so they stopped making them. Bastards.

by Anonymousreply 46November 6, 2015 4:52 PM

R39, here. YES, R41!! Brown Edged Wafers - just a hint of lemon.

Kisses, R42.

by Anonymousreply 47November 6, 2015 4:59 PM

Late 1980s Dove Delights frozen treats. Not the candies they have now, these were a combination of ice cream with a thin crisp cookie on the bottom, and then the whole thing had a crunchy dark chocolate shell. If I remember correctly, there were 3 flavors: vanilla /raspberry, vanilla/caramel, and peppermint. The mint flavor was divine. You could buy them at the supermarket and for a brief time they were also available at Arby's. Yes, I do feel shame.

by Anonymousreply 48November 6, 2015 5:11 PM

r46 Great minds think alike. Vermont Country Store offers a facsimile called Garibaldi Bars. They're a great treat with a glass of cold milk.

by Anonymousreply 49November 6, 2015 5:30 PM

R48 Have you tried the Magnum bars? They come in smaller sizes now, too.

by Anonymousreply 50November 6, 2015 5:33 PM

Choco'Lite candy bars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 6, 2015 5:37 PM

Bigg Mixx

Its advertising claimed it was all the spilled cereal swept up off the floor after a day of production. It was DELICIOUS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 6, 2015 5:45 PM

Space Food Sticks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 6, 2015 5:57 PM

r45 I remember Freakies cereal. Remember this commercial?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 6, 2015 6:11 PM

As long as they still make Mary Janes and wrap them in the same wrapper as always...then everything's alright with the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 6, 2015 6:26 PM

Peek Freans Playbox Cookies. Small cookies in various shapes with hard icing on the top, decorated with designs of things like drums and trains (my personal favourite) and teddy bears. When I was a child they came in metal tins. I used to get two of these wrapped up in tin foil for my Friday school lunch as a dessert. I haven't seen them since the seventies but at night sometimes I dream of eating them, scraping off the icing and then eating the cookie.

by Anonymousreply 56November 6, 2015 6:26 PM

R56: that sounds like those Mothers circus animals with the pink & white frosting

by Anonymousreply 57November 6, 2015 6:28 PM

r55, Mary Janes led the list of the most despised candies on the recent Halloween thread.

by Anonymousreply 58November 6, 2015 6:28 PM

I thought it was "circus" peanuts, R58.

by Anonymousreply 59November 6, 2015 6:29 PM

R43:

[quote]Birds-Eye used to make New Orleans-Style frozen vegetables: limas, green beans, onions(?) red peppers in a tomato-y sauce. They used to be fantastic when paired with Shake 'n Bake Bar-B-Q for pork chops and mashed potatoes...

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 60November 6, 2015 6:30 PM

Do they still make those Chico sticks that were like the inside of a butterfinger without the chocolate?

by Anonymousreply 61November 6, 2015 6:30 PM

R45 - - Bosco chocolate syrup is still made. I have a bottle of it in my fridge right now.

by Anonymousreply 62November 6, 2015 6:33 PM

[quote]Choco'Lite candy bars

R51 - had no idea such a product had been made in the US. Are you familiar with Aero chocolate bars from the UK? I think they were the pioneers of that aerated chocolate (chocolate with all of this little bubbles that gives you a light, fluffy mouth feel). You can get the bars in any Brit food store or at international markets like Cost Plus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63November 6, 2015 6:36 PM

Kellogg's Danish Go-Round's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 6, 2015 6:37 PM

R51 I loved these!

by Anonymousreply 65November 6, 2015 6:44 PM

R39, I thought they did away with the unfrosted Pop Tarts, but I found them at Walmart. Lesson learned, if your regular store doesn't carry it it doesn't mean the item has been discontinued.

by Anonymousreply 66November 6, 2015 6:44 PM

Stouffers Ham & Asparagus Bake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 6, 2015 6:47 PM

R67 I was going to add that they probably discontinued it because for the crust to bake properly, you had to make it in a regular oven, not a microwave.

by Anonymousreply 68November 6, 2015 6:51 PM

Ghost from the Past in terms of 60s Desserts:

About 2 years ago, President's Choice (a CanadiaƱ food marketing brand) started shipping Pineapple Upside Down Cake with a caramel flavor. I remember my grandmother whipping up those gooey cake desserts in the blink of an eye!!

Even the packaging was designed to bring the 'older' consumer 'back in time' with the Robin egg blue box colouring and photo of the pineapple cake right side up.

by Anonymousreply 69November 6, 2015 7:12 PM

Thank You brand pudding

by Anonymousreply 70November 6, 2015 7:29 PM

r63 Apparently Aero bars were sold here in the US in the late '80s. The wrapper doesn't look familiar, but I will give them a try. The linked article talks about them and compares them to Choco'Lites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 6, 2015 7:56 PM

Summit bars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 6, 2015 8:15 PM

On-cor's Swedish meatballs, they were so good I use to eat the whole family size by myself. Haven't seen them since about 2000 or so.

by Anonymousreply 73November 6, 2015 8:19 PM

Brach's Neopolitans--those tri colored, chewy, caramel and coconut candies

And Hostess Sno-Balls--when going to the convenience store around the way I'd eye them every time--but only buy about 10-20% of the time. If I'd only known!

by Anonymousreply 74November 6, 2015 8:51 PM

R74, I've seen the Neapolitan's in Philly. Apparently they still make them.

by Anonymousreply 75November 6, 2015 8:53 PM

You can hop across the border and buy Aero bars anywhere here in Canada. I have an Aero bar wrapper in my lap as I type.

by Anonymousreply 76November 6, 2015 9:35 PM

R71 - you might also like Wispa, a classic UK chocolate bar that was brought back from the dead after an intense grassroots campaign of British chocolate lovers. It has a similar aerated chocolate experience, but I think it's flavor and texture is much more appealing than Aero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 6, 2015 9:35 PM

Human

by Anonymousreply 78November 6, 2015 10:30 PM

Sunshine Lemon Coolers

Other companies have brought them back over the years but they're not even close to the original. None of them have those little lemon bursts in the cookie that made them so tart and and full of flavor.

by Anonymousreply 79November 6, 2015 10:36 PM

Does Nabisco still make the Chocolate Snaps and Chocolate Chip Snaps cookies? I have great memories of them because my parents would give a box to me and my siblings on our vacation car trips. (Probably because it would shut us up, but I didn't care, I loved the cookies.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 6, 2015 10:39 PM

Jello Puddin Pops.

by Anonymousreply 81November 6, 2015 10:42 PM

Oooh, hold up! I never knew Nabisco made the mini boxes of Vanilla Snaps and Ginger Snaps too! Although their boxes weren't as cute as the Chocolate Chip Kitty and the Chocolate Bear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 6, 2015 10:44 PM

Zima

by Anonymousreply 83November 6, 2015 10:46 PM

I miss Alpha-Bits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84November 6, 2015 10:46 PM

Danish-Go-Rounds rocked. I used to love the Brown Sugar Cinnamon flavor.

by Anonymousreply 85November 6, 2015 10:48 PM

R64, I remember those. I remember my mom bought them ONCE when I was six. I was taking tiny nibbles because it was such a rare treat. My little cousin Stephanie was over and I offered her a bite thinking she'd take a tiny nibble but NO. I remember her bigass five year old horse teeth taking a big chomp out of it. I was so pissed!

by Anonymousreply 86November 6, 2015 10:52 PM

Yes, r31! I forgot about that dee-licious frozen treat!

by Anonymousreply 87November 6, 2015 10:58 PM

Ice cream cake roll. Maybe it's still around somewhere, but it used to be readily available at the supermarket, and now it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 88November 6, 2015 11:00 PM

My great aunt would always show up for the holidays with a Friendly's Jubilee Roll. (Let's just say she wasn't a whiz in the kitchen.) it always looked better than it tasted. Not sure if they still make them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 6, 2015 11:07 PM

O'Grady's Au Gratin potato chips. Loved them.

by Anonymousreply 90November 6, 2015 11:25 PM

Viennetta is discontinued in the USA? You still find it anywhere in most european countries... the classic one, and a few new flavors

by Anonymousreply 91November 6, 2015 11:31 PM

Ben and Jerry's Ooey Gooey Cake. I think it went to the graveyard about 10 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 6, 2015 11:34 PM

r63 , lucky for me Aero bars are available locally at Wegman's. I don't know if the Wispa bars are still available after the great UK Cadbury purge here (thanks a lot, Hershey). The UK version of Cadbury's Dairy Milk was much better that what Hershey's tries to pass off here as Cadbury Dairy Milk. I also miss Crystal Pepsi.

by Anonymousreply 93November 6, 2015 11:48 PM

While scrolling through this thread, one of the ads was for bariatric surgery! Wish I could post a screen cap of that.

by Anonymousreply 94November 6, 2015 11:52 PM

Cereal: waffalos and smurf berry crunch

by Anonymousreply 95November 6, 2015 11:53 PM

Maypo cereal. (ā€œI want my Maypo.ā€)

Molasses cookies by ANY manufacturer.

5th Avenue candy bars.

3V cola (I think this was only in Southern California).

by Anonymousreply 96November 6, 2015 11:56 PM

R93 - I've seen Wispa bars recently at British food stores, 99 Ranch Market (CA chain of international - mostly Asian - items) and Cost Plus World Market. Of course, you can get it online, too. I don't think bars like Wispa - for which there's no US equivalent or Hershey/Cadbury version - would be banned. That would only apply to Cadbury products that Hershey produces US versions of.

by Anonymousreply 97November 6, 2015 11:58 PM

Ben & Jerry's Wavy Gravy

Tuna Twist

by Anonymousreply 98November 7, 2015 12:07 AM

Asberger's Cake. (For half the posters here.)

by Anonymousreply 99November 7, 2015 12:09 AM

[quote]I'm fascinated with that Kellogg's Concentrate cereal mentioned on another thread. I read reviews about it and now I really just want to taste it one time. Surely somebody made a knockoff of it?

No, never...and worse, Kelloggs actively discourages any suggestion that they make it again. Probably comes down to the fact that it was expensive to make, and was expensive even then to buy a tiny box. It also was largely wheat gluten, and that would possibly get the negative attention of the no-gluten people. Sheesh!

It was delicious, however, and extra high in protein. Mildly sweet with subtle nut, malt, dairy and grain notes. I know of no other cereal like it, although Special K is a remote cousin.

by Anonymousreply 100November 7, 2015 12:14 AM

I second the Carnation breakfast bars. They were fantastic. I also miss Wacky Wafers, especially the banana flavor. You could get them in a long roll like Sprees or silver dollar size in a plastic strip.

Anyone remember a candy bar called Ultimate Good Stuff? It was in a blue wrapper and had, well, all good stuff like peanut butter, caramel, chocolate chips and maybe Rice Krispies...? I can't remember what else but I loved them in the 80s

by Anonymousreply 101November 7, 2015 12:15 AM

R96 Maypo is still available.

by Anonymousreply 102November 7, 2015 12:30 AM

I've searched in vain for Opera Cream (Creme?) cookies by either Keebler or Nabisco.

by Anonymousreply 103November 7, 2015 12:53 AM

Franco American Spaghetti in a can. Campbell's bought them and I swear changed the recipe and it now sucks.

by Anonymousreply 104November 7, 2015 1:00 AM

Orowheat wheat berry bread. The obje one that was a smaller dense loaf. My pops used to buy it in the 80s when I was a kid. Made the BEST toast.

Can't find it anywhere

by Anonymousreply 105November 7, 2015 1:02 AM

Thanks for the info, r97 . I'll check on my next trip to Wegman's to see if they still sell it.

by Anonymousreply 106November 7, 2015 1:04 AM

[quote] Burry's cookies WERE good. The round, chocolate ones with the concentric ridges(and center hole) actually tasted of chocolate. You could pop one on the end of each finger, and nibble away, making them last as long as possible.

You are TEN cookies at a time?

Hooooooooly shit

by Anonymousreply 107November 7, 2015 1:19 AM

When I was little, we occasionally had a light fluffy pudding called Chiffon. It came in chocolate and lemon.

by Anonymousreply 108November 7, 2015 1:20 AM

That was good bread, R105. I guess it wasn't fluffy enough for most consumers.

by Anonymousreply 109November 7, 2015 1:21 AM

Wnen I was a kid (70s) they use to make these delicious snack cakes made from sponge cake and the most incredible icing in flavors of orange, lemon and chocolate. They were sold in convenience stores and were way better than Hostess or Little Debbie. I don't remember the name of the company but over the years the cakes became harder to find and ultimately disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 110November 7, 2015 1:28 AM

I think you're right R109. The wonder bread crowd would freak out if served that style.

by Anonymousreply 111November 7, 2015 1:28 AM

Alpha Bits cereal is still around.

by Anonymousreply 112November 7, 2015 2:46 AM

The garden veggie pita that they used to sell at Wendy's in the 90s. I still hold out hope that they'll bring it back one day.

by Anonymousreply 113November 7, 2015 2:55 AM

R74 I believe the company that purchased the license to make Sno-Balls is up and running, as they're currently for sale at WalMart (at least the white ones are). It appears they're getting mixed reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114November 7, 2015 2:55 AM

The Hostess Fruit Pies someone mentioned up-thread are also back in production but don't taste at all the same as they used to.

by Anonymousreply 115November 7, 2015 2:59 AM

Wendy's pitas were so good! I wonder why they stopped making them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116November 7, 2015 3:03 AM

I wish I knew R116! I used to eat them all the time when I was in college. I remember one day I rolled up and they said they didn't make them anymore. Saddest food day ever for me!

by Anonymousreply 117November 7, 2015 3:06 AM

Carl's Jr. California Roast Beef Sandwich

by Anonymousreply 118November 7, 2015 3:11 AM

Freshen up gum that used to squirt.

Cerelac hot breakfast cereal.

Crazy cow cereal

by Anonymousreply 119November 7, 2015 3:23 AM

PB Max candy bars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120November 7, 2015 4:02 AM

Vanilly Crunch cereal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121November 7, 2015 4:04 AM

[quote]Freshen up gum that used to squirt.

Better known as cum gum.

by Anonymousreply 122November 7, 2015 2:51 PM

Product 19. I don't care that it sounds like the name of something scary from "The X-Files," I want it back.

by Anonymousreply 123November 7, 2015 2:58 PM

Moon Pies

Can still get them at IGA stores in south.

by Anonymousreply 124November 7, 2015 3:08 PM

r105 This may be the bread you were talking about. It used to be available in my area, but not since Arnold Baking bought out Brownberry (I think the Orowheat brand was part of Brownberry, but used in certain areas of the country, like Hellmann's/Best Foods mayo). The web link claims its available in my area, but I haven't seen it in stores in a few years now. It was really good bread, and you're right, it made excellent toast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 7, 2015 3:11 PM

The bags of assorted Russell - Stover, sugar free bite size pieces. Walmart used to have them in the candy section, but have not seen them in over two years.

by Anonymousreply 126November 7, 2015 3:14 PM

Enjoyed Bryers ice cream when it was made thick, creamy, not overly sweet, and basically tasted great, any variety.

Last couple of decades, their ice cream has digressed, with some price lowering. I refuse to buy it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 127November 7, 2015 3:23 PM

r127 also the product shrinkage. What used to be 64 fl oz is now 48 fl oz, plus more air

by Anonymousreply 128November 7, 2015 3:30 PM

SMurf berry crunch

by Anonymousreply 129November 7, 2015 4:15 PM

Jack-In-The-Box mini-chimichangas. Crack when dipped in their ranch sauce.

Ben & Jerry's Cool Britannia and Holy Cannoli.

by Anonymousreply 130November 7, 2015 4:16 PM

Ben & Jerry's White Russian and Rainforest Crunch. I miss them both so much. Why can't they bring back old flavors for a year or two?

by Anonymousreply 131November 7, 2015 10:30 PM

Two things are wrong with Breyers, R127 R128:

(1) tara gum

(2) it is so lacking in anything but chemicals, they are no longer allowed to call it "ice cream."

by Anonymousreply 132November 7, 2015 10:34 PM

[quote](1) tara gum

Is that what Scarlett O'Hara grew?

by Anonymousreply 133November 7, 2015 10:35 PM

Yes, R133. That's exactly where it comes from. They scrape it off the ceilings in both the mansion and the slave quarters after it rains.

by Anonymousreply 134November 7, 2015 10:38 PM

I know this is a nostalgia thread, but fuck Breyers and whatever they might have been like. Time to move on. Get a tub of gorgeous McConnell's ice cream. Yeah, they're a bit pricy, but if I'm gonna use up calories on something "naughty", I'd rather it be really good. I think they have the highest milk fat % of any major ice cream brands, hence their incredibly rich, creamy, densely packed flavors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 7, 2015 11:02 PM

I cannot donate money to Mitch McConnell no matter low luscious the ice cream

by Anonymousreply 136November 7, 2015 11:07 PM

Oh, Youuuu.

by Anonymousreply 137November 7, 2015 11:10 PM

I would be thrilled to buy McConnell's ice cream -- it's from CA, R136, not KY -- but it's not sold where I live.

by Anonymousreply 138November 7, 2015 11:11 PM

I think it may have came out in the late 1970s or early 1980s, but does anyone remember a brand of flavored peanut butters. One was chocolate, but I think there was also strawberry, possibly vanilla or butterscotch flavor too. I wasn't the Smucker's peanut butter and jelly combo which also came out at around the same time.

by Anonymousreply 139November 7, 2015 11:49 PM

^ Koogle!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 8, 2015 12:03 AM

R135 looks good, but have not noticed it in the Mid-Atlantic states.

by Anonymousreply 141November 8, 2015 12:21 AM

It would probably make my teeth ache and cause at least three types of cancer, but I used to love Funny Face drink mixes when I was growing up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142November 8, 2015 1:17 AM

I remember that, R142. Kind of like Kool-Aid.

by Anonymousreply 143November 8, 2015 1:31 AM

Does anyone else remember Country Morning cereal? It had a wonderful malty, nutty, wheaty flavour.

by Anonymousreply 144November 8, 2015 2:45 PM

Crystal Blue Persuasion

by Anonymousreply 145November 8, 2015 4:20 PM

R110, I think you mean Zingers, and they were delicious. I've actually seen them recently in vending machines in Philly, but I haven't tasted them. They were from Dolly Madison, and they had pictures of the Peanuts characters on the package in the seventies.

by Anonymousreply 146November 8, 2015 5:09 PM

Since Christmas is coming, here's one place where you can get a lot of old fashioned candies:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147November 8, 2015 5:58 PM

Here's another:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148November 8, 2015 6:01 PM

Here's another:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149November 8, 2015 6:02 PM

r107 Oh yes, dear. We did all sorts of things without passing it by media and social censors. It was a free-spirited time. You DO understand the meaning of the word COULD, right?

by Anonymousreply 150November 8, 2015 6:13 PM

The Ben & Jerry's Flavor Graveyard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151November 8, 2015 6:54 PM

The Burry cookies that you could put on your fingers were called Fudgetown cookies. There was a little guy on the box - was it a cowboy? I used to eat them off my fingers too.

I also liked Cookie Break, which were vanilla sandwich cookies. I think those were by Nabisco, or maybe Sunshine? The logo was a guy in a hot air balloon. I also liked Hydrox, which I don't think are made anymore.

Remember when there used to be a selection of cookies to buy? Now all my supermarket seems to carry are Keebler, Pepperidge Farm, and fourteen disgusting flavors of Nabisco Oreos. Who the fuck wants to eat Watermelon or Pumpkin Spice flavored Oreos? Puke.

by Anonymousreply 152November 8, 2015 7:24 PM

R18 You read my mimd, that's what I was going to post!

by Anonymousreply 153November 8, 2015 7:29 PM

The real Famous Amos cookies were great, when Wally Amos was in control of the brand. When they were bought out by a corporation, they went downhill, and now I believe Keebler owns the rights.

by Anonymousreply 154November 8, 2015 7:40 PM

[quote] Fudgetown cookies

That sounds pretty dirty to me!

by Anonymousreply 155November 8, 2015 8:26 PM

Funny Face drink mix in "goofy grape".

by Anonymousreply 156November 8, 2015 8:31 PM

Yum-Yums. A chocolate / coconut / carmel cookie from Sunshine bakery. Gawd, I LOVED those----washed down with "Hillbilly Joose", which was a budget bin Mountain Dew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157November 8, 2015 9:14 PM

The afore mentioned "Hillbilly Joose." I suppose now in today's PC climate, it would be called "Appalachian American high fructose corn syrup drink"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158November 8, 2015 9:20 PM

McDonald's French Fries. What they have now are not anything like they used to be. They used to fry them in beef tallow and they tasted wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 159November 8, 2015 9:29 PM

[quote]Aunt Jemima Easy-Bake Coffee Cake and Corn Bread. These were the ones with the mixing bag full of mix and a baking pan. So good, so very gone.

R11, my father loved having us kids mix up the coffee cake by squishing the eggs with the dry ingredients in the plastic bag. He was heart broken when they stopped making it a few years ago, even though we're all past retirement age & quite capable of mixing stuff in a bowl with a fork (or even baking from scratch) -- just not the same.

by Anonymousreply 160November 8, 2015 10:08 PM

Dino Pebbles.

by Anonymousreply 161November 8, 2015 10:30 PM

I remember Sunshine Yum-Yums, R157. These days, we can look to our lovely friends, the Girl Scouts...for Samoas! Not identical, but close (and lots more expensive)!

I bought 12 of the Aunt Jemima Coffee Cake mixes from Amazon a few years ago...lasted a year around here with a lot of self-control. I guess I got some from the last batch, R160. Sure sorry to see those go.

by Anonymousreply 162November 9, 2015 1:01 AM

[quote]I also liked Hydrox, which I don't think are made anymore.

They've just returned, with the original recipe, but slightly more creme (I think), to Amazon. Wide disrtibution in 2016. They're really, really good.

by Anonymousreply 163November 9, 2015 2:27 AM

Funyuns.

Doritos

Cheetos

Fritos

by Anonymousreply 164November 9, 2015 2:28 AM

R164 In what universe is any of those items discontinued?

by Anonymousreply 165November 9, 2015 2:40 AM

I'm going to be VERY generous here and ask if maybe R164 lives in a part of the world where those products were once sold and have since been discontinued? Or, maybe it's just an ESL thing. In which case, R164...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166November 9, 2015 4:57 AM

Ry Krisp and Health Nut Bread.

by Anonymousreply 167November 9, 2015 5:28 AM

For you, R160 / R162:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168November 9, 2015 7:59 PM

The new Hydrox is great. I also like Newman O's. Both are much better than Oreos. Not only do they have a deeper chocolate flavor, the filling is better.

by Anonymousreply 169November 9, 2015 8:01 PM

Starburst made these absolutely amazing things called Fruit Twists in the late 90s/early 00s. They were basically Twizzlers with fruity flavors (Cherry, Lemon, Orange, Grape, Strawberry, instead of nasty ass licorice.

by Anonymousreply 170November 9, 2015 8:12 PM

R169 - You're absolutely right. Those Newman's O's are really delicious and, as you say, have a much greater depth of flavor than Oreo's. I haven't wanted a Newman in my mouth this much since Cool Hand Luke.

by Anonymousreply 171November 9, 2015 8:52 PM

wendys super bar. Loved it as a teen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172November 9, 2015 9:16 PM

[quote] Ben & Jerry's Cool Britannia

Dear god, yes. Also their Black & Tan

by Anonymousreply 173November 9, 2015 9:38 PM

R51, I was just thinking of Chocolite the other day!

I wouldn't eat any of these anymore, but I LOVED:

Aunt Jemina liquid batter (came in a little container like half and half)

Chocodiles

Trader Joe's walnut gorgonzola tortellini

Banana Suzy-Qs

Toast R Cakes (corn muffin flavored)

Hershey's chocolate marshmallow ice cream

Reggie candy bar

Butterscotch pudding (the kind that needed to be cooked, not instant)

by Anonymousreply 174November 9, 2015 9:41 PM

[quote]Ry Krisp and Health Nut Bread.

I was recently at a restaurant and they brought out one of those little baskets with all kinds of old-timey crackers with the soup-- including Ry-Krisp, Waverly Wafers (or some generic version thereof), miniature cellophane-wrapped breadsticks, etc.

by Anonymousreply 175November 9, 2015 9:46 PM

Reece's

Snickers

Milky Way

Frito Lay Ruffles

Hershey Kisses

by Anonymousreply 176November 9, 2015 9:47 PM

Yeah, my brother bought some Ry Krisp for a party within the last couple years. Maybe it's only available in certain regions?

by Anonymousreply 177November 9, 2015 9:56 PM

R176: please see R166.

by Anonymousreply 178November 9, 2015 10:09 PM

Dolly Madison used to make a snack cake called "French pastry"--it was an oval yellow cake covered in darkish chocolate, with this fantastic white creamy filling on the top. Fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 179November 9, 2015 10:22 PM

Road Kill Soup

by Anonymousreply 180November 9, 2015 10:46 PM

My favorite candy bar ever was the Scrunch Bar.

I would kill for them to bring it back.

by Anonymousreply 181November 9, 2015 10:58 PM

The ZingerĀ® Zapper!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 9, 2015 11:31 PM

Thanks very much, R168, I didnt know there was a recipe for the coffeecake.

My dad doesn't make things from scratch (he's over 90 & kind of tired) but I can make it for him & we can have a taste test to see how it compares -- maybe I can combine the ingredients in a plastic bag & smoosh it all together with my fingers like we used to. Easier to use a whisk in a bowl, but where's the fun (or the memories) in that?

by Anonymousreply 183November 10, 2015 12:29 AM

Dino Peebles cereal

Strawberry Shortcake cereal

Cream Savers Yogurt (Blueberry, Strawberry, Orange, Peach & Raspberry flavors)

Smurf Berry Crunch cereal

Cookie Crisp cereal (Vanilla & Oatmeal flavors)

French Toast Crunch cereal

Oreo O's cereal

Banana Frosted Flakes cereal

Cupcake Peebles cereal

Dunkin Donuts cereal

Captain Crunch Christmas Crunch cereal

Life Savers Soda

Hubba Bubba Soda

Planters Cheese Balls

Root Beer Kool-Aid

Fudgsicle Soda

Jell-O (Apple, Blackberry, Bubble Gum, Celery, Tomato, Watermelon, Passion Fruit, Raspberry Mango, Cotton Candy, Root Beer & Coffee flavors)

Jell-O Pudding Pops

Keebler Soft Batch Cookies (Sugar & Oatmeal flavors)

by Anonymousreply 184November 10, 2015 1:16 AM

My dad was in the wholesale food industry when I was a kid and was always bringing home samples of products for us to try at home. He brought a case of the previously mentioned Koogle peanut butter once and another I remember was Figurines diet bars. I was a skinny 12-year old but ate them as a snack after school for months.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185November 10, 2015 2:31 AM

How's that diabetes working out for you, r184?

by Anonymousreply 186November 10, 2015 2:36 AM

R186 How can I get diabetes when everything I want has discontinued over the years LOL!

by Anonymousreply 187November 10, 2015 2:39 AM

R184 They brought back French Toast Crunch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188November 10, 2015 2:58 AM

Thanks R188.I wasn't aware of that Amazon deal. I'll look into that.

Also thank you Op for starting this thread. You might help out some other empty stomachs like mine.

by Anonymousreply 189November 10, 2015 3:17 AM

R175 & R177

Thanks. It looks like they are back in production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190November 10, 2015 6:29 AM

Fruity Butlers

by Anonymousreply 191November 10, 2015 12:53 PM

R183, you could mix together all of the dry ingredients and put them in a bag or even a jar. It's the same concept as those mix in a jar food gifts.

It's a very simple kind of coffeecake that's been around for a long time. It's an older version of the crumb coffeecakes that became very popular, but with less crumb topping.

by Anonymousreply 192November 10, 2015 1:04 PM

Stroh's Beer - once a favorite of mine ------------------------ A couple of other once popular brands that were discontinued:

Old Milwaukee Beer

Falstaff Beer - heard once had an exclusive contract with the Army/military

Pabst Brewing Company bought out several of these breweries around 2000 and other times, before and perhaps after

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193November 10, 2015 2:06 PM

Callard & Bowsers Licorice. Very creamy with a strong licorice flavour. The Vermont Country Store licorice caramels are pretty similar.

by Anonymousreply 194November 10, 2015 3:34 PM

R189 I've bought French Toast Crunch in a store recently, so it's not just an Amazon thing.

by Anonymousreply 195November 10, 2015 4:09 PM

[quote]Callard & Bowsers Licorice.

Is that the brand from Oz?

by Anonymousreply 196November 10, 2015 4:09 PM

Along with R159, McDonald's fried apple pies. McDonald's was my first job in HS at 16 years old. If you worked a shift long enough for meal break, you could have anything you wanted. I always had a fried apple pie when I worked lunch or dinner. Those fuckers were FABULOUS!!

by Anonymousreply 197November 10, 2015 7:38 PM

R195 Yeah, they have it at Vons in Southern California. Just saw it.

by Anonymousreply 198November 10, 2015 9:15 PM

I loved figurines diet snack bars as a child.

by Anonymousreply 199November 10, 2015 9:24 PM

Do you have anorexia today, R199?

by Anonymousreply 200November 10, 2015 9:30 PM

Regal Crown Sour Cherry candies. Long gone, but apparently some company is making them again! Unfortunately, the reviews are less than stellar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201November 10, 2015 10:08 PM

As much as I love Trader Joe's, they're notorious for constantly introducing new items and eliminating old ones. Their stores are small and they only have a limited amount of shelf space, so I guess they have to make sure every square inch is occupied by something that sells well.

by Anonymousreply 202November 10, 2015 10:14 PM

Entennmann's chocolate chip cream filled cake. God, that was so good!

Also the festive cupcakes they had for each holiday.

by Anonymousreply 203November 10, 2015 11:01 PM

[quote]As much as I love Trader Joe's, they're notorious for constantly introducing new items and eliminating old ones. Their stores are small and they only have a limited amount of shelf space, so I guess they have to make sure every square inch is occupied by something that sells well.

Marketing 101. Sometimes you can find their discontinued items on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 204November 10, 2015 11:04 PM

R203

Lord, that Entenman's cake sounds delicious.

I love cream.

by Anonymousreply 205November 11, 2015 11:42 AM

Caramac candy bars

by Anonymousreply 206November 11, 2015 11:57 AM

The only thing I have ever, ever wanted to eat at McDonalds in the past 20 years are the shaker fries they have in Australia every blue moon. Simply, fries, served with a sachet of seasoned salt and a waxed bag to shake the spices onto the fries. So, so good.

by Anonymousreply 207November 11, 2015 10:42 PM

Another vote for Zingers! I think they still make them, though they look kind of gross these days. Raspberry Zingers were the best.

I'd add to the list Chocolate Cream of Wheat. I think you can still get instant cream of wheat, but it's not nearly as good as the original Cream of Wheat.

by Anonymousreply 208November 12, 2015 12:06 AM

Candy Corn Hershey Bars that just came out in 2014. I hate candy corn but these bars taste so good! I just discovered them this year & grabbed all three they had on clearance with just one left to eat. They're hard to find after Halloween where I live so they might be seasonal in some places. I hope they make them again for 2016. Fingers crossed.

by Anonymousreply 209November 12, 2015 1:40 PM

Betty Crocker used to make a box mix called "Snackin' Cake", a chocolate-chip concoction that only required water and a tablespoon of white vinegar. You mixed it directly in the ungreased pan you baked it in. That cake was AMAZING....so moist and tasty!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 210November 12, 2015 5:50 PM

R210, there are many recipes for those cakes. They're called crazy cakes, wacky cakes or more rarely depression cakes. My sister who is a shortcut baker used to take a cake mix and pour it into a baking pan, then make wells for oil and vinegar. Somehow it all blended together in the oven.

Vinegar is a great ingredient for moist and tender cakes and it was used as a substitute for eggs in cakes during WWII.

by Anonymousreply 211November 12, 2015 6:32 PM

R205, it was the best! The cream was like a mocha ganache, in between two layers of chocolate chip vanilla cake! And then dusted with confectioner's sugar.

by Anonymousreply 212November 12, 2015 8:54 PM

R210, I remember that cake! It was good!

Do you all remember Jiffy cakes in the little blue box? My Sicilian nan used to have a closet full of them, including the yummy popover mix. She refused to drive but needed some kind of cake EVERY morning to go with her black coffee, a breakfast she'd had daily since the age of 16.

For frosting, she'd make a glaze of butter and confectioner's sugar. They were great! And she kept them under a cut glass cake dome.

by Anonymousreply 213November 12, 2015 8:59 PM

Roy Rogers' Fast Food restaurants. They had the best roast beef sandwiches! They would slice the roast beef for you, drop the meat in the au jus and then put the sopping wet meat on the bun. If you were taking it to go, it was a fucking mess to eat when you got home but if you ate it there, it was messy heaven on a bun. RR also had the better fried chicken. Screw Colonel Sanders!

by Anonymousreply 214November 17, 2015 6:00 PM

Ragu's Mama's Meat Sauce. Best Spaghetti Sauce ever. It was great for Lasagna as well. Haven't found anything else as good since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215November 17, 2015 6:34 PM

'Danish' chocolate bars. Had them up in Canada when I was a kid. Not sure if anyone else remembers them.

by Anonymousreply 216November 17, 2015 6:39 PM

Kellogg's SW Graham cereal, late 80's-early 90's. One of the few cereals from my youth that I would eat today, if I could.

by Anonymousreply 217November 17, 2015 6:39 PM

[quote]RR also had the better fried chicken. Screw Colonel Sanders!

R214=Pappy Parker

by Anonymousreply 218November 17, 2015 6:47 PM

R14, I used to love Roy Rogers' Double R burgers.

by Anonymousreply 219November 18, 2015 1:29 AM

[quote]miniature cellophane-wrapped breadsticks

I loved those the BEST when we'd go to dinner when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 220November 18, 2015 1:33 AM

In the 70s, Snickers had a version of their candy bar without peanuts. It was so good. Candy bars in general were better years ago than they are now.

by Anonymousreply 221November 18, 2015 3:01 AM

I miss Canfield's Strawberry Supreme Soda. And Canfield's 50/50.

Yes, I am from Chicago. No, I don't have diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 222November 18, 2015 3:19 AM

R221, isn't a Milky Way a Snickers without peanuts?

by Anonymousreply 223November 18, 2015 3:21 AM

R223: I thought the same thing

by Anonymousreply 224November 18, 2015 3:29 AM

Besides the lack of peanuts, the biggest difference between Snicker's and Milky Way is that the nougat in Milky Way is malt flavored.

by Anonymousreply 225November 18, 2015 3:53 AM

Microwave yellow cake

by Anonymousreply 226November 18, 2015 4:07 AM

The new version of Regal Crown Sour Cherry candy tastes more like cough drops than the candy I used to love. I also miss tangerine Lifesavers and Callard and Bowser butterscotch.

by Anonymousreply 227November 18, 2015 4:08 AM

This is one that seems to come and go, but I love Reeese's nutrageous bar and I can't always find it

by Anonymousreply 228November 18, 2015 4:15 AM

[quote]drop the meat in the au jus

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 229November 19, 2015 7:59 AM

I'm from the South and they didn't have them here, but I fell in love with Hot Shoppes' Mighty Mo burger on a trip to Washington, DC when I was in seventh grade. Like a homemade Big Mac, with a special sauce way better than McD's version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230December 13, 2015 1:48 AM

Do they still make 40% Bran Flakes? When I was a kid and we'd visit my grandparents this was the only cereal they had I actually liked.

by Anonymousreply 231December 13, 2015 2:00 AM

I miss Stronmann's Applesauce cupcakes(frozen in the freezer in the garage) And I really miss "real poppers" from the late 80's-early 90's. You can't buy them in the US

by Anonymousreply 232December 13, 2015 2:11 AM

Anyone remember the Howard Johnsons Toasties? The came in Corn, Blueberry and Orange. It was so popular during my junior high and high school snack on the way to school during the late 80s and 90s. Would put butter on them and they were DEELICIOUS!

by Anonymousreply 233December 13, 2015 2:37 AM

Stax Cereal by General Mills from 1966, I loved that cereal but almost no one else did, don't think it lasted a year. I blame the advertising campaign, "Now there is a cereal you can stack" when did that become a need? Who needs to stack their cereal?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234December 13, 2015 3:03 AM

Whoever keeps saying Smurfberry Crunch, no, just no.

This is just as nasty and I probably wouldn't like it now, but I loved Ice Cream Cones cereal.

I also had a weak spot for the shrimp salad at McDonald's.

by Anonymousreply 235December 13, 2015 3:26 AM

Trader Joe's Peppermint Joe Joe's Cheesecake.

I think they still have a larger one in a red box that's "peppermint chocolate" during the holidays, but it ain't the same. This smaller one in the green box was far superior all around.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236December 13, 2015 3:45 AM

Aren't real poppers from the late '70s, R232?

by Anonymousreply 237December 13, 2015 3:46 AM

Mystic Mint cookies.

by Anonymousreply 238December 13, 2015 4:13 AM

Gino's hamburgers, especially the Gino Giant which was much better than the Big Mac.

by Anonymousreply 239December 13, 2015 4:36 AM

Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Capn' Crunch

Oreos

Cool Ranch Dorritos

by Anonymousreply 240December 13, 2015 5:16 AM

Columbo yogurt. Yoplait bought Columbo, then shut them down.

by Anonymousreply 241December 13, 2015 5:18 AM

Heinz red label Mugletawny soup. I used to buy it in the UK and ship it home to the US, but it's been dicontinued for quite some time. With a few generous squirts of hot sauce it was superb.

by Anonymousreply 242December 13, 2015 6:48 AM

R242, I have seen Acme Supermarkets carry that and other food products from the UK. I always get a chuckle over the spotted dick in a can!!!

by Anonymousreply 243December 13, 2015 7:35 AM

Danish go Round (1970's poptart)

Twigs (snack cracker)

Nacho Cheese Tostitos

by Anonymousreply 244December 13, 2015 7:39 AM

r215 I used to make lasagna with it too, I could have wrote that post

by Anonymousreply 245December 13, 2015 7:43 AM

Flaky Flix! I LOVED these. Could eat a whole box as a little kid.

I also loved Zingers and was delighted to find them as an adult.

The modern version is disgusting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246December 13, 2015 9:05 AM

R105, I'm another Orowheat lover. It was one of the 1st widely available whole wheat or health bread. The wheat berries made it tastier.

I miss old-fashioned candy corn. No, not the artificially flavored decorations not made for eating they now sell. The original cornstarch candy was made of natural ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 247December 13, 2015 9:43 AM

r243 If the dick in your can is spotted, I'd advise you to get to a doctor posthaste.

So, where'd you run across an Acme? Are you a nearby Philly guy?

by Anonymousreply 248December 13, 2015 12:14 PM

R240 seems to be confused. All of those things are still widely available.

by Anonymousreply 249December 13, 2015 7:03 PM

aunt martha's old fashioned salad dressing and aunt sally's pecan pralines

by Anonymousreply 250April 6, 2017 2:58 PM

R105 R247 I know I've seen an Oroweat Honey Wheat Berry Bread at Vons in Southern California. I've never bought it due to it's price (over $5). Oroweat classifies it at their website as one of their "specialty breads."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251April 7, 2017 8:50 PM

When Famous Amos cookies first came to NYC the only place you could get them was Bloomingdale's and by the pound, not in a bag. They were amazing. Now they taste like shit. Everything corporate America touches turns to shit.

by Anonymousreply 252April 7, 2017 9:38 PM

Trader Joe's chipotle chicken skewers. Very low fat and low calorie

by Anonymousreply 253April 7, 2017 10:21 PM

Stout ferns potatoes au gratin. They just weren't the same when they went from oven made to microwave.

by Anonymousreply 254April 7, 2017 10:31 PM

A very recent discovery: Archer Farms (Target brand) hot sauces. They had five or six different flavors; of which looked great among my 20+ other hot sauces and I ended used on a daily basis.. Well, as quickly as I discovered this particular brand (I never really shopped Target until I moved across the street) within two months they stopped stocking it.

Every time I hit up Target (on the weekly) I venture down that isle hoping it's back on the shelves (the empty space is still there 5 months later) and every time I am disappointed. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 255April 7, 2017 11:02 PM

R255 See if they have it online, or at a nearby store.

by Anonymousreply 256April 7, 2017 11:16 PM

Trader Joe's used to have a Spa Salad that I could eat for lunch almost every day (and sometimes did, when dieting.) Cold pasta noodles, chicken breast, grapes, romano cheese, mandarin oranges, walnuts, romaine lettuce, and a nice sweet-ish dressing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257April 7, 2017 11:19 PM

Those Nabisco chocolate snaps were so good because they used a touch of coconut in them, at least way back a million years ago when I was a kid. Everyone loved them. I wonder why they stopped making them. I guess they couldn't find a way to make them with the cheap chemical shit that's in what's left of anything Nabisco.

I loved Funny Face drinks, well the cherry one anyway, much better than Kool-Aid.

Swanson used to make the most delicious fried shrimp TV dinners and Mexican ones with enchiladas. SO good and the Mexican one was not hot or spicy. It came with refried beans. The shrimp one came with cocktail sauce and it might sound weird to have hot cocktail sauce but it was very good. They were so much better than the fried chicken or turkey or Salisbury steak ones. Speaking of Salisbury steak, in the 1970s they had these Weight Watcher TV dinners and their Salisbury steak was the very best I ever had. It came with cauliflower and string beans, no potato as I think in those days carbs, except a slice or two of bread a day, weren't allowed. I don't know. I wasn't on the program. I just tried their frozen meals. Oh and their protein portions were HUGE! 8 oz which I guess was what the diet said to have. They did make a lunch one of cannelloni (sp?) hmm, then I guess they did allow small portions of pasta, filled with ground veal and with the most delicious sauce. I don't know if WW makes any kind of frozen meals anymore. And that too reminds me that Swanson had a veal parm dinner that was really good.

God, we live in such a shit world now. Other than buying things and making them from scratch there is so little out there that is good anymore. There isn't even any good cookies or candy or prepared food that is any good. It's all a science experiment of chemicals. Then again so are many of the cook from scratch items that are Monsanto GMO Frankenfoods like most non organic produce, meat, poultry, eggs, dairy grains and just about everything.

by Anonymousreply 258April 8, 2017 12:20 AM

R257 I remember that one. My favorite that went missing at Trader Joe's as well It was their Lemon Chicken Salad. As I recall, the stock person told me they went through something of a purge where they got rid of about half the salads they made.

The Lemon Chicken Salad came with a little tub of flavorful chicken salad on a bed of seasonal greens. There was a good portion of flame grapes and apple slices with cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber and red onion and some sweet candied walnuts. The dressing was a light and tangy champagne vinaigrette.

It was a real meal for under $4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259April 8, 2017 12:26 AM

Franco-American--always made by Campbell's

Chiffon pudding--ages and ages ago, in lemon or chocolate

Stax--tasted burnt and too whole wheat-ish. I suspect that's why they didn't catch-on

Burry was owned by Quaker and largely neglected for years

A&P's Jane Parker made delicious large donut holes.

by Anonymousreply 260April 8, 2017 12:50 AM

I can't remember the name but it was jarred pasta with pasta sauce... mid 80s?

Any help?

by Anonymousreply 261April 8, 2017 2:23 AM

(-font=verdana)Leftover mutton...meal after meal after mean....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262April 8, 2017 3:08 AM

I think the pasta in a jar was Mama Leone's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263April 8, 2017 3:36 AM

r263

Thanks but I don't think that was it. When I did a quick google search, I found Mama Leone's as well but I don't think that's it. I thought it was Ragu since they had chicken tonight but I didn't find anything

by Anonymousreply 264April 8, 2017 11:45 AM

Northridge raisin bread. I think it might have been an Orowheat product. It had exactly the right balance of raisins, nuts and cinnamon.

by Anonymousreply 265April 8, 2017 5:04 PM

Mama Celeste Pizza

by Anonymousreply 266June 21, 2018 4:28 PM

Campbell's Mock Turtle Soup. I emailed Campbell's about this and got a curt reply merely saying it was discontinued which of course I already knew. I also said that Campbell's should produce, at least once in a while, all the soups in Andy Warhol's "Campbell's Soup Cans"--it was as if I had spoken to a brick wall. Campbell's needs all the gimmicks it can think of because its sales have gone down lately. I also emailed Wise Potato Chips to tell them that the Wise chips I knew in the '60s are nothing like the inferior product they churn out now. Does anyone remember the distinctive flavor Wise chips once had? Anyway, they emailed back saying Wise chips were always made the way they are now which is an outright lie.

by Anonymousreply 267June 21, 2018 4:53 PM

Del Monte hamburger relish. GodDAMN, that shit was tasty! It's very similar (identical?) to the relish used on burgers from Bob's/Shoney's/RJ's, etc. Big Boy restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 268June 21, 2018 5:33 PM

Callard & Bowser butterscotch

by Anonymousreply 269June 21, 2018 5:51 PM

Chocolate mint Kit Kat bars

by Anonymousreply 270June 21, 2018 5:52 PM

Aqua Libra

by Anonymousreply 271June 21, 2018 5:56 PM

Big fan of milk desserts. Not that they have been discontinued, but one can buy then ready made such as Birds Eye custard. Nothing like getting a can of custard powder and making it with boiled milk and sugar. Same for Semolina. Angel's Delight also mo longer requires added milk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272June 21, 2018 6:07 PM

I loved candy cigarettes as a kid. Those are probably not PC now.

by Anonymousreply 273June 21, 2018 6:24 PM

Discontinued/hard to find now:

I miss Hostess Ding Dongs from the 70's/80's that came 12 in a box and each was individually wrapped in foil that easily pulled off. Hostess still makes them, but they're each sealed in clear plastic wrappers and the taste and texture isn't the same. So bland, and the cream doesn't have that sugar "crunch." Plus they're smaller.

Corn Nuts. I rarely ever see them. Usually only in gas station and dollar stores snack isles.

Craklin' Oat Bran. Only occasionally see this in a cereal isle now. When I do I grab it. In the 80's it was like crack. So fattening and bad for you! Mmm...

Jack in the Box tacos. I used to devour these in the 80's when I lived in Texas and the chain was everywhere. They're just meat and cheese in a shell that's deep fried and kind of flat. Back then they were less than a dollar each. They also make a distinctive hot sauce that comes in packets. Apparently they still make them, but very rare to find a Jack in the Box now, especially up north.

by Anonymousreply 274June 21, 2018 6:45 PM

Frusen Gladje. It was so much better than Haagen Dazs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275June 21, 2018 7:07 PM

^ Also, Twix had a limited edition cookies and cream version in the late 80s. It was so delish but I think they might've continued it because it melted so easily.

by Anonymousreply 276June 21, 2018 7:09 PM

Pizza Hut used to have a creamy Italian dressing that I practically drank. They replaced it with a cheap version that is nowhere near as good. Imagine that.

by Anonymousreply 277June 21, 2018 7:33 PM

Cadbury's Contrast Chocoates

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278June 22, 2018 1:04 AM

Buitoni canned Cheese Ravioli. Buitoni also sold frozen pizza made for toasters. The cheese and the tomato sauce was in side and the outside was all crust. It was disc shaped. Does anyone remember Buitoni?

by Anonymousreply 279June 22, 2018 1:13 AM

I can't remember the brand name but it was ginger beer. It had no alcohol, but was real spicy with lots of ginger flavor. It would have been in the late 60's if any one remembers the name

by Anonymousreply 280June 22, 2018 2:04 AM

R280 Could what you're thinking of be one of the ginger beers still being sold at Galco's famous soda pop store in Highland Park, California? They sell a lot of vintage stuff that is actually still being made, just not in great quantity or in limited annual production. They've got 3 pages of ginger ales and beers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281June 22, 2018 4:01 AM

Altoids Sours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282June 22, 2018 4:13 AM

I don't think I ever had that, OP, but it sounds kinda nasty.

by Anonymousreply 283April 15, 2020 5:39 AM

Jello puddin pops. Jesus H Christ, those things were tasty. I used to hide in the closet...(I know, I know) and eat them all sneaky like, so my mom wouldnā€™t get pissed at me for ruining my dinner. I always blamed my brother when she figured out some were missing.

by Anonymousreply 284April 15, 2020 5:55 AM

Soylent Green. But I suspect it may come roaring back soon.

by Anonymousreply 285April 15, 2020 5:39 PM

Mother's Iced Raisin cookies!

by Anonymousreply 286April 15, 2020 6:48 PM

Pepperidge Farm Capri cookies. The best.

by Anonymousreply 287April 15, 2020 10:36 PM

R287 I don't remember those. What were they?

by Anonymousreply 288July 29, 2020 2:11 AM

Kaboom cereal. It was amazing. All cereal tastes horrible now. Booberry and Frankenberry used to taste so good, now they are awful. Don't know what they did to them.

by Anonymousreply 289July 29, 2020 3:03 AM

Aqua Libra.

by Anonymousreply 290July 29, 2020 3:05 AM

[quote] ... I think it may have came out in the late 1970s or early 1980s ...

[quote] ... I venture down that isle hoping it's back on the shelves ...

R139 and R255, respectively: you both seem to be able to use the English language properly in the rest of your post, so what happened here?

by Anonymousreply 291August 16, 2020 6:08 PM

McDonald's Jalapeno McChicken Sandwhich. It was legitimately spicy.

by Anonymousreply 292August 16, 2020 6:40 PM

There was a type of chip called Munch 'Ems in the 90's and they had a great sour cream and onion flavor. I miss those a lot as well as those peanut butter chocolate Kudos bars.

by Anonymousreply 293August 16, 2020 7:01 PM

Jello- Three in one. I almost took to the bed when Jello stopped making it. I always loved the 'chiffon' layer the most.

Oh, I remember this as a kid; it was always a treat to eat the "fancy jello"

I don't know if it's discontinued, but it's hard to find: Chocolate Cream of Wheat. I think Amazon sells it in the individual instant packets, but that was one of the few things my mom would buy that kids wanted (all the rest of the crap was the stuff my dad wanted).

I agree about the unfrosted pop tarts - why don't they make them anymore?. Heaven forbid manufacturers should produced food that isn't lacquered with as much sugar as possible.

by Anonymousreply 294August 16, 2020 7:09 PM

When Fritos flavor twists came out, they originally had two flavors: Honey BBQ and a Ranch flavor. They discontinued the ranch years & years ago but it was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 295August 16, 2020 7:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!