Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone remember the TV show 'Julia' from the late '60s?

Wasn't it considered ground breaking?

I've never seen it repeated, so I only have very vague memories of it.

My strongest memory is of the little boy wanting steak for his dinner and Julia saying it was too expensive. To this day if I see an over-priced steak I think of Julia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2020 6:01 AM

'I'm a negro!'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2015 9:20 PM

[quote]My strongest memory is of the little boy wanting steak for his dinner and Julia saying it was too expensive.

Did you watch I'LL FLY AWAY in the early '90s? Remember the episode in which Lily takes her daughter Adelaide along when she goes to a store with (employer's son) John Morgan to buy him a Halloween costume? Adelaide tried on a princess costume, and everyone is heartbroken when she has to tell Adelaide to put the costume back, because they can't afford it. That's something I think of at Halloween ever since.

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2015 9:26 PM

I had the lunchbox.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2015 9:29 PM

Julia was just too perfect -- we liked the family downstairs, who better reflected chaotic family life.

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2015 9:32 PM

The little boy, Marc Copage, released a pop song....Michael Jackson had nothing to worry about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2015 9:34 PM

LOL @ R3

by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2015 9:35 PM

The kid on the lunchbox looks like Corey Feldman.

The show wasn't groundbreaking it was just boring.

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2015 9:50 PM

Lionel J Waggoner

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2015 9:54 PM

Earl J. Waggedorn.

Julia was about what it's like to be a light-skinned, white-acting black woman in an otherwise all-white world. Apparently, it's pretty fucking sweet. You get to wear all sorts of nice clothes and all the white people fall all over themselves to please you to prove that they're not racist.

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2015 9:59 PM

There were Julia dolls at the time. My racist parents flipped out when my sister asked for one for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2015 10:16 PM

Her love interests were two gay men.

by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2015 10:18 PM

I'll bet they were relieved you didn't ask for one, r10.

by Anonymousreply 12November 5, 2015 10:19 PM

OH, cram it, R9. God, some people and their soapboxes.

FOR THE TIME, it was groundbreaking.

And if by white-acting, you mean Julia spoke proper English and had a white-collar job, so fucking what? Maybe you should try it, shuffle'along.

by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2015 10:23 PM

She's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 14November 5, 2015 10:23 PM

That clip @ R1...she really felt it necessary to WARN the doctor over the phone that she's 'a negro' before she turns up to her appointment?

SURELY not!?!

by Anonymousreply 15November 5, 2015 10:24 PM

[quote]FOR THE TIME, it was groundbreaking.

Groundbreaking enough for white people to congratulate themselves over it. Most black people preferred Amos 'n' Andy, a comedy that was actually funny.

by Anonymousreply 16November 5, 2015 10:25 PM

Just goes to show you weren't there, R16. Nobody was airing old Amos 'n' Andy radio of TV shows in the '60s.

by Anonymousreply 17November 5, 2015 10:31 PM

Like too much of "black tv" and "black cinema", Julia suffered by feeling low budget and B quality level. I mean the eye adjusts, but I get a little angry when its 100% first degree (no irony) mixed with low budget. Low budget is better when its underground or radical or extremely pulpy. Julia was always "good taste". Feels like a dinner at the "classy" restaurant of that era, kind all the blue collar and lower middle class dress up to go to.

by Anonymousreply 18November 5, 2015 10:45 PM

This was the era when The Black Crusaders got [italic]Amos 'n' Andy[/italic] reruns off the air and made Bill Cosby a star, thinking he would be better for the African-Americans' image. Guess again!

R18: Fox hasn't lifted a finger to remaster any of their non-sci-fi shows in high definition, so any time this or any Fox show prior to [italic]The Simpsons[/italic] airs, all they have to go with are old video masters. The negatives exist, at least I assume they do, they just haven't been pulled out of storage in decades.

by Anonymousreply 19November 5, 2015 10:50 PM

It featured two of my favorite character actors -- Lloyd Nolan and Lurene Tuttle.

by Anonymousreply 20November 5, 2015 11:16 PM

They have whole episodes on Dailymotion.

Freaky seeing that intro after all these years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 5, 2015 11:18 PM

Julia was exactly what's being screamed about today, a color blind comedy. She was a black Doris Day and that's what irritated everyone. She was expected to be more black. It was a completely pleasant, inoffensive sitcom but the times felt it should have been more.

by Anonymousreply 22November 5, 2015 11:28 PM

Thats such a time warp. Julia leaves her boy and his friend alone to deal with the spookily friendly and faggy telephone man.

by Anonymousreply 23November 5, 2015 11:52 PM

[quote]Thats such a time warp. Julia leaves her boy and his friend alone to deal with the spookily friendly and faggy telephone man.

Everyone's so pathetically sweet and hard done by, plus that cloyingly sentimental music..."where's your Dad?"..."he got broke"...while the little fellow tries to repair the broken photo frame of his dead father.

by Anonymousreply 24November 6, 2015 12:04 AM

I think Julia was the first TV show whose STAR was both black and female. It was groundbreaking.. or so my faded memory seems to recall.

by Anonymousreply 25November 6, 2015 12:10 AM

I was young but I remember the show, I liked it, I think.

by Anonymousreply 26November 6, 2015 12:16 AM

I have no idea how black people felt about it but old Jews did think black people should only work in the back...not with the customers.

by Anonymousreply 27November 6, 2015 12:19 AM

Here wardrobe was by Travilla.

by Anonymousreply 28November 6, 2015 12:21 AM

What we don't see in that clip at r1 is that when Julia got to Lloyd Nolan's office he tried to serve her burnt champagne and beluga caviar, which was of course unacceptable.

by Anonymousreply 29November 6, 2015 12:43 AM

I love you, r29.

by Anonymousreply 30November 6, 2015 12:45 AM

Yes, I remember it - watched it when it first aired.

I remember the discussion at the time where some black people complained about how perfect she was and claimed that they would only be successful when blacks were cast as "bad guys".

Yes, ... for real.

Be careful what you wish for.

by Anonymousreply 31November 6, 2015 1:06 AM

[quote]I think Julia was the first TV show whose STAR was both black and female.

Nope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 6, 2015 1:18 AM

Julia's designer wardrobe on a nurse's salary.

by Anonymousreply 33November 6, 2015 1:31 AM

Give it a rest R23. Do us a favor and go whack off to Mein Kampf.

by Anonymousreply 34November 6, 2015 1:45 AM

The Julia doll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 6, 2015 2:03 AM

[quote]Nobody was airing old Amos 'n' Andy radio of TV shows in the '60s.

Yes, they had already been knocked off the air by then. But Amos and Andy were far funnier than Julia, and many black people missed them when they weren't allowed to watch them any more. Nobody missed watered-down Julia when she was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 36November 6, 2015 2:13 AM

[quote]Nobody missed watered-down Julia when she was canceled.

I bet the kid with the lunchbox did.

by Anonymousreply 37November 6, 2015 2:37 AM

God that child is dreadful. And it's not even slightly funny, though I did like the nurse and doctor, I'd watch more of them.

by Anonymousreply 38November 6, 2015 3:06 AM

[quote]I had the lunchbox.

Me too! I had no idea who Julia was-my mom bought me the lunch box.

by Anonymousreply 39November 6, 2015 4:01 AM

From "All In the Family". Archie is meeting Louise and thinks she's the cleaning lady next door and is searching for something to say.

Archie: So how'd you like the "Julia" show last night?

Louise: Fine, how did you like "Doris Day?"

by Anonymousreply 40November 6, 2015 2:15 PM

RIP Diahann Carroll.

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2020 4:43 AM

Was it any worse than [italic]The Doris Day Show[/italic]?

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2020 6:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!