Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anthony Newley

The comments about him on the Dr Dolittle thread got me googling about him.

One thing that stuck out was an article by Joan Collins his then wife who said that when they had Barbra Streisand over to their Beverly Hills home for a party...as usual, they gathered around the piano and Newley sang People to the gathered partygoers, changing the word People to Newley.

This probably says much about him.

Then I saw this clip from his 1969 MEGA-BOMB AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL movie 'Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?' I mean how fucking dated was this song and style of singing, back in 1969?

There must be so much more about him.

What about his mega-hit Broadway show of the earlier '60s, 'Stop the World – I Want to Get Off', what was that like?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 31, 2019 4:30 PM

STOP THE WORLD... hasn't been revived in any major form (not even at ENCORES), so that should tell you something.

by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2015 5:44 PM

Responsible for DL face Carol Channing's show-stopping "JAM!" from the Alice In Wonderland mini-series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2015 5:45 PM

I remember Bowie saying he loved Newley back in the early-mid '70s and you could hear the influence in Bowie's singing.

by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2015 5:46 PM

My father used to play his insufferable records when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2015 5:47 PM

You can almost hear him choking on cock in R4's video

by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2015 5:49 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2015 5:51 PM

He made a disparaging comment about Joan and a bowel movement.

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2015 5:52 PM

[quote]You can almost hear him choking on cock in [R4]'s video

except R4 doesn't have a video???

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2015 5:53 PM

[quote]Then I saw this clip from his 1969 MEGA-BOMB AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL movie 'Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?' I mean how fucking dated was this song and style of singing, back in 1969?

There was a memorable spread in Playboy about this movie that I remember jacking off to as a high schooler. I was (and still am) into hairy chests.

by Anonymousreply 9November 3, 2015 5:55 PM

OMG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 3, 2015 6:03 PM

[quote]There was a memorable spread in Playboy about this movie that I remember jacking off to as a high schooler. I was (and still am) into hairy chests.

He liked taking his clothes off.

Ass shot @ link...NSFW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2015 6:06 PM

[quote]He liked taking his clothes off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2015 6:07 PM

I recall at the height of the "Dynasty" craze, Newly went on the Tonight Show with Joan Rivers and complained that all people wanted to know from him was what was it like to fuck Joan Collins?

by Anonymousreply 13November 3, 2015 6:08 PM

[quote]STOP THE WORLD... hasn't been revived in any major form (not even at ENCORES), so that should tell you something.

Are you SURE?

[quote] Throughout the 1980s and 1990s he worked to achieve a comeback. He staged a successful American tour of his Stop The World – I Want To Get Off in 1986–87. The production co-starred a then unknown Suzie Plakson, whom Newley had discovered. The tour yielded her some strong notices and led to a steady career on stage and television.

by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2015 6:12 PM

You couldn't make this shit up >>

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2015 6:16 PM

He's the ma-eya-eya-eya-eyan who ma-eyay-eyay-eyay-eyakes DL la-eya-eya-eya-eya-eyaph.

Well, he is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2015 6:19 PM

I love Joan's memoir for the Mail:

[quote] I was riding high with my role in Dynasty, but I had three children and an ex-husband to support and was still paying off Ron’s debts. In addition, I had business managers, lawyers, accountants, a live-in housekeeper, a press agent, a secretary and a secretary for the secretary! So although I was earning about $40,000 an episode, money was haemorrhaging out as fast as it came in.

This will have the Darfur orphan crying all night. Why did she need this enormous staff? She talks about it as if it was visited upon her, not something of her own choosing and hiring.

by Anonymousreply 17November 3, 2015 6:21 PM

I can;t see him without thinking of the French & Saunders parody of the Collins sisters "Luckybitches"--see 4:18 and following.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 3, 2015 6:26 PM

There is a thing on the internet that states Newley was a "kept boy" when he was young and breaking into show biz.

by Anonymousreply 19November 3, 2015 6:28 PM

Beside "Stop the World ..." there was also "The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd." I don't think it's ever been revived either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 3, 2015 6:29 PM

He had a decent voice, but he was so hammy and overwrought. The very definition of "mannered." He makes Patti LuPone seem like Claudine Longet.

by Anonymousreply 21November 3, 2015 6:32 PM

As the co-lyricist for Willy Wonka, Newley wanted to play the candy shop owner who sings "The Candy Man" in the opening scene. The producer and director nixed the idea, feeling that his over-the-top charisma would upset the balance of the scene, which wasn't meant to be a star turn. When discussing this tidbit on the DVD commentary track of the film, the grown actors who played the kids take turns humorously imitating Newley's quirky song-styling.

by Anonymousreply 22November 3, 2015 6:48 PM

[quote]He had a decent voice, but he was so hammy and overwrought. The very definition of "mannered."

Hammy & overwrought are perfect. But 'mannered' is too gentle a word. Camp would be appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 23November 3, 2015 7:52 PM

"He had a decent voice, but he was so hammy and overwrought."

I know just what you mean. It's amazing he got away with it,

by Anonymousreply 24November 3, 2015 8:39 PM

That's enough ham to feed ALL the Darfur orphans.

I see a resemblance to Elliot Gould, which may explain the Streisand thing.

by Anonymousreply 25November 3, 2015 8:52 PM

Newley and The Merm were friendly. She sang two of his songs on her 1975 album "Ethel's Ridin' High": 'What Kind of Fool Am I?' and 'Nothing Can Stop Me Now'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 3, 2015 9:03 PM

I have loved the original cast album of ROAR OF THE GREASEPAINT...since it first appeared in the mid-60s.

There are so many songs from that score: Who Can I Turn To?, Feelin' Good, Look at That Face, On a Wonderful Day Like Today, Where Would You Be Without Me?, The Joker Is Me and Nothing Can Stop Me Now.....that were standards on all of the TV variety shows throughout the decade. The titles may not sound familiar, but believe me, you've heard them!

by Anonymousreply 27November 3, 2015 9:04 PM

I used to have to put up with Bernice singin' "What Kinda Fool Am I" while she rode up and down the escalators at Neiman Marcus!

by Anonymousreply 28November 3, 2015 9:04 PM

God I hate Ethel Merman.

by Anonymousreply 29November 3, 2015 9:05 PM

He was very sexy cute in his way. Was he Jewish/ Is Joan Collins Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 30November 3, 2015 9:05 PM

Kate Smith covers "What Kind of Fool Am I?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 3, 2015 9:06 PM

Anthony Newley was impossible to watch but still...the guy was a HUGE talent.

He co-wrote (sometimes writing music, sometimes lyrics) a string of songs in the 1960s that became standards.

"Goldfinger". "Gonna Build a Mountain", "Once in a Lifetime", "On a Wonderful Day Like Today", 'Nothing Can Stop Me Now"...

My favorite is the haunting and timeless "Feeling Good". An all time classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 3, 2015 9:20 PM

"Feelin' Good" has been popping up a LOT lately. Jennifer Hudson did it on one of her albums and I think she used it in a Weight Watchers ad, too.

by Anonymousreply 33November 3, 2015 9:22 PM

And one of the most beautiful songs ever written: "What Kind of Fool Am I"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 3, 2015 9:23 PM

[quote]He was very sexy cute in his way. Was he Jewish/ Is Joan Collins Jewish?

She's half Jewish, on her father's side.

by Anonymousreply 35November 3, 2015 9:31 PM

[quote]There are so many songs from that score: Who Can I Turn To?, Feelin' Good, Look at That Face, On a Wonderful Day Like Today, Where Would You Be Without Me?, The Joker Is Me and Nothing Can Stop Me Now.....that were standards on all of the TV variety shows throughout the decade.

Along with Call Me & The Shadow Of Your Smile.

by Anonymousreply 36November 3, 2015 9:32 PM

What might have been. Eat your heart out Shirley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 3, 2015 9:53 PM

I couldn't make it the whole way through R37's link.

by Anonymousreply 38November 3, 2015 10:01 PM

[quote] 'Newley, people who need Newley'

Sounds like another hit for you, Tony.

by Anonymousreply 39November 3, 2015 10:05 PM

Gonna Build a Mountain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 3, 2015 10:06 PM

Did Joan Colins not get any alimony from Newley? She was the mother of his 2 kids and he must have had a fortune in royalties from al those song titles. Why was she screaming poverty when she was doing Dynasty? Did Newley marry again?

by Anonymousreply 41November 3, 2015 10:10 PM

If Newley had been a woman he'd TOTALLY be a gay icon.

I mean MAJOR!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 3, 2015 10:10 PM

[quote] Did Joan Colins not get any alimony from Newley? She was the mother of his 2 kids and he must have had a fortune in royalties from al those song titles. Why was she screaming poverty when she was doing Dynasty? Did Newley marry again?

Before DINNA-DYNA-STEE, all she got was Cinzano poured down her twice a year.

by Anonymousreply 43November 3, 2015 10:12 PM

Didn't the Newley/Collins son write a Mommie Dearest type book?

by Anonymousreply 44November 3, 2015 10:20 PM

[quote]Did Joan Colins not get any alimony from Newley? She was the mother of his 2 kids and he must have had a fortune in royalties from al those song titles.

She remarried very quickly to a guy who blew all their money.

She's always talking about it....and it's in that earlier link.

by Anonymousreply 45November 3, 2015 10:25 PM

R44, you apparently do not know that there were adult pop singers that worked the still popular night club circuit in 1969.

This Anthony Newley song is covered beautifully by the great Carmen McRae in 1972, There's no such thing as Love. A familiar Newley theme.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 3, 2015 10:26 PM

Newley's version:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 3, 2015 10:27 PM

Sorry, R44, I mean OP.

by Anonymousreply 48November 3, 2015 10:30 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 3, 2015 10:31 PM

They got the age wrong at that link. It's "Sacha, 4"

by Anonymousreply 50November 3, 2015 10:33 PM

Is there a video of him doing Quiet Please There's a Lady on Stage?

by Anonymousreply 51November 3, 2015 10:36 PM

Tara was born before Sacha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 3, 2015 10:36 PM

Joan & Tony at the Polanski wedding, 1968.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 3, 2015 10:41 PM

R46 Thanks for that link. Carmen McCrae puts today's singers to shame. How far we've fallen...

by Anonymousreply 54November 3, 2015 10:43 PM

They play Newley's version of "Gonna Build a Mountain" from the OBC album on the SiriusXM Broadway channel from time to time. It's so annoying how he says MOUN-TANE, instead of MOUN-ton. Makes me cringe.

On the other hand, Cyril Ritchard's "On a Wonderful Day Like Today" is loads of fun. I love the way his voice goes way down for "on a ... "

BTW, I know he was married, but Ritchard definitely pings. Any rumors?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 3, 2015 10:55 PM

DL fave Cilla Black also sings "mountane" on her version of "What the World Needs Now Is Love". Was it an old-timey Brit thing. I've never encountered the pronunciation in present day Britain.

by Anonymousreply 56November 3, 2015 11:06 PM

Is it just me or are threads about people of this era far more campy and fun than current stars?

by Anonymousreply 57November 3, 2015 11:08 PM

Newley and Collins on What´s My Line.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 3, 2015 11:12 PM

Dudley Moore got the midlife career Anthony Newley could have had. But Newley's self-indulgences (including drinking and whoring) fucked him up and got in the way of his talent

by Anonymousreply 59November 3, 2015 11:16 PM

Newley before nose job. Guess he thought a smaller nose would make him a big movie star in the late 1960s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 3, 2015 11:17 PM

[quote]Dudley Moore got the midlife career Anthony Newley could have had. But Newley's self-indulgences (including drinking and whoring) fucked him up and got in the way of his talent

Newley was too peculiar for a long career in movies. It's amazing he was given as many chances as he was.

He was an awful actor and his own projects ALL ABOUT HIMSELF also flopped.

by Anonymousreply 61November 3, 2015 11:21 PM

Newley's West End/Broadway shows were bizarre: though they had great songs (particularly The Roar of the Greasepaint and the Smell of the Crowd), they had weird allegorical plots that were usually very autobiographical and all about Newley's anxieties regarding monogamy and class. I can't imagine them being revived today (even though he deserves a lot of respect for the songs he wrote with Leslie Bricusse).

Extreme narcissists just can't write good plays or novels: they don't have enough empathy to create realistic characters who are not themselves.

by Anonymousreply 62November 3, 2015 11:25 PM

Yes, R62, but several of the Newley songs were good and made for good covers. Singers were desperate for good material in the 1960s and three or four of his songs were used by over and over = they were needed.

by Anonymousreply 63November 4, 2015 2:35 AM

[quote] Singers were desperate for good material in the 1960s and three or four of his songs were used by over and over = they were needed.

& how often were they hits?

by Anonymousreply 64November 4, 2015 2:45 AM

[quote]Singers were desperate for good material in the 1960s

Not now. 'Good' material isn't the criteria anymore.

by Anonymousreply 65November 4, 2015 2:53 AM

[quote]& how often were they hits?

His songs were huge and they're still being recorded today.

"Who Can I Turn To?" of which he wrote the music, is one of the greatest pop songs ever written.

It's mostly associated with Tony Bennett' but It was recorded by singers as varied as Brenda Lee, James Brown, Harry Connick and Queen Latifah. Even the Temptations recorded it.. Various instrumental jazz version have been recorded over the years too: Woody Herman, Dexter Gordon, Oscar Peterson.

Van Morrison's version:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 4, 2015 9:38 AM

Was he gay? Was he really East End?

by Anonymousreply 67November 4, 2015 10:12 AM

[quote]Was he gay?

Most definitely NOT.

[quote]Was he really East End?

Yes, he was.

by Anonymousreply 68November 4, 2015 1:11 PM

R64, singers covered his songs for TV performances and night club performances such as in the Carmen McRae link above. Not all music was geared as potential Top 40 "hits" for teenie boppers. Some of it was directed toward the older (over 30) audience that went out to see a show and drink. I realize this will be over your head.

by Anonymousreply 69November 4, 2015 1:51 PM

Mid-1960s Lena Horne cover of Who Can I Turn to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 4, 2015 1:55 PM

Just read the history of a song like "Feeling Good", it's place in popular culture and the long list of people who have recorded it around the world since 1965.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 4, 2015 2:26 PM

Has Joan Collins ever commented on Newley's penchant for underage girls?

by Anonymousreply 72November 4, 2015 2:54 PM

In that Heironymous Merkin movie, was there really a scene where Newley went down on his own young daughter in a swimming pool?

by Anonymousreply 73November 4, 2015 9:43 PM

[quote] singers covered his songs for TV performances and night club performances such as in the Carmen McRae link above. Not all music was geared as potential Top 40 "hits" for teenie boppers. Some of it was directed toward the older (over 30) audience that went out to see a show and drink. I realize this will be over your head.

You could have made your point without being a cunty queen.

by Anonymousreply 74November 4, 2015 10:18 PM

R73 Why? Is there something wrong with doing that?

by Anonymousreply 75November 4, 2015 10:18 PM

[quote]In that Heironymous Merkin movie, was there really a scene where Newley went down on his own young daughter in a swimming pool?

Considering she was 6 at the time I should think this is unlikely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 4, 2015 10:21 PM

R37

I thought that NEWLEY knew BASSEY & was instrumental in having her sing the tune which became her signature song.

by Anonymousreply 77November 4, 2015 11:36 PM

I thought that Cyril Ritchard being gay was common knowledge at this point.

by Anonymousreply 78November 4, 2015 11:40 PM

[quote] I thought that NEWLEY knew BASSEY & was instrumental in having her sing the tune which became her signature song.

I've never heard that Newley was passed over for Bassey. I don't think she'd have needed him to get the gig, though. She had long been one of Britain's top charting singers. Her first "cold" period in the pop charts was in the aftermath of Goldfinger, before an early 70s chart comeback.

by Anonymousreply 79November 4, 2015 11:49 PM

[quote] Her first "cold" period in the pop charts was in the aftermath of Goldfinger,

What's strange is I remember her 1967 version of this song so well, but it wasn't a big chart hit.

Actually, this clip is worth looking at!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 5, 2015 12:03 AM

R30, Newley was Jewish by Jewish law as his mother's mother was Jewish. Collin's father was of Jewish descent. I wonder if he identified as Jewish or practiced and if had been nonetheless been baptized C of E, which is sort of a default in England especially with people of mixed background.

by Anonymousreply 81November 5, 2015 12:19 AM

[quote] What's strange

What's even stranger is that Cilla Black was having a lot of big hits in the same period, the majority of which could have easily been Bassey numbers (Bassey even recorded the likes of "Where Is Tomorrow"). I guess Cilla had youth on her side - Bassey wasn't old but was probably seen as belonging to a prior era to many 45 buyers of the time.

by Anonymousreply 82November 5, 2015 12:23 AM

That's just the point, R-76. I recall Rex Reed being disgusted by the film and chiding Joan Collins in his review for allowing their young daughter to be exploited in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 83November 5, 2015 12:31 AM

Puting a dash between the r and the number stops it linking to the previous comment in question.

by Anonymousreply 84November 5, 2015 12:32 AM

[quote]What's even stranger is that Cilla Black was having a lot of big hits in the same period, the majority of which could have easily been Bassey numbers (Bassey even recorded the likes of "Where Is Tomorrow"). I guess Cilla had youth on her side - Bassey wasn't old but was probably seen as belonging to a prior era to many 45 buyers of the time.

Yes. Bassey had no hip credentials, but in the 60s in England, there was a huge elder record buying public and yes, that includes 45s...

Anyway, she broke her jinx with her cover of Something in 1970. It was pretty awful though.

by Anonymousreply 85November 5, 2015 1:59 AM

R74 = challenged and ashamed

by Anonymousreply 86November 5, 2015 2:45 AM

I think one of tests for a great song is if it can last the decades and adapt to new and varied interpretations and sound of-the-moment.

Feeling Good (is one such song.

Muse's version:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 5, 2015 1:06 PM

Now compare Muse's version with the Jack Jones version done in the 1960s.

It sounds like it could have been written by the Gershwins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 5, 2015 1:12 PM

Carmen's version:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 5, 2015 10:45 PM

Audi uses Feeling Good in one of their new car commercials. They changed "scent of the pine" to "scent of the lime". Why?

by Anonymousreply 90November 5, 2015 10:55 PM

"Sweet November" with Newley and Sandy Dennis was on TV this morning -- I can't imagine sitting through an entire movie with those two-- they're both so "affected" and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 91November 5, 2015 11:12 PM

[quote]"Sweet November" with Newley and Sandy Dennis was on TV this morning -- I can't imagine sitting through an entire movie with those two-- they're both so "affected" and annoying.

It's one of those movies I saw as a kid and liked and saw as an adult and wondered why.

by Anonymousreply 92November 5, 2015 11:25 PM

I think it's David Bowie's "Rubber Band" video that shows him at his Brian Jones Meets Anthony Newley finest. I can't find a video of it that will play in the US. It's been shut behind a copyright.

Xavier Hollander's book The Happy Hooker described a lot of her sexcapades as a madam. She talks about a celebrity couple who used her services. She would send girls over and a big black guy. The celebrity husband would wear a blindfold and be eating the pussy of a woman standing up at the foot of the bed, when the black guy would go behind the woman and shove his dick through her legs. The husband would then gobble his dick.

It was really obvious that it was Joan Collins and Anthony Newley?

Years later Newley wrote a biography where he talked about being kept by an older man. He'd had gay experiences as a teen actor -- probably casting couch stuff. When he was in between careers in the 50s, he allowed himself to be kept. He was completely surprised by the furor this caused a,OMG his middle aged fans. He thought bisexuality was cool when he wrote the book. His publisher might have removed it from later printings.

He was very highly sexed and casual about it, which was off putting to the average person when he got to be middle aged. He liked orgies.

by Anonymousreply 93November 5, 2015 11:28 PM

[quote] furor this caused a,OMG his middle aged fans.

That's supposed to be among his middle aged fans

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time keyboarding these days. I hope I don't have ALS or something.

by Anonymousreply 94November 5, 2015 11:31 PM

Joan also wrote a very honest autobiography in the '70s before her Dynasty fame, in which she was very frank about her sexuality (pretty tame by today's standards) and it also got people's fingers wagging.

She had it edited down for the American market.

It's actually an excellent autobiography and I read a lot of them.

But I strongly doubt she did orgies. I don't get a kinky vibe from her at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95November 5, 2015 11:35 PM

[quote] Xavier Hollander's book The Happy Hooker described a lot of her sexcapades as a madam. She talks about a celebrity couple who used her services. She would send girls over and a big black guy. The celebrity husband would wear a blindfold and be eating the pussy of a woman standing up at the foot of the bed, when the black guy would go behind the woman and shove his dick through her legs. The husband would then gobble his dick.

I assumed you were going to finish with Angie and David Bowie as the reveal.

by Anonymousreply 96November 5, 2015 11:36 PM

One thing I remember from the book, when her marriage to Newley was on the wane...after he'd fucked her, he'd thank her and she'd say you don't have to thank me, I didn't make you a cup of tea.

He was furious about the book.

& she now says it's the one thing she truly regrets.

by Anonymousreply 97November 5, 2015 11:39 PM

[quote]Years later Newley wrote a biography where he talked about being kept by an older man.

That's odd, because there's no record of an autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 98November 5, 2015 11:49 PM

I'm still sniggering at the OP's dribbling over the word, "mega."

by Anonymousreply 99November 6, 2015 12:03 AM

"Newley wrote a biography"

WTF? a biography of who?

by Anonymousreply 100November 6, 2015 12:29 AM

[quote] WTF? a biography of who?

Emiliano Zapata, Rose!!!

by Anonymousreply 101November 6, 2015 12:33 AM

[quote]I'm still sniggering at the OP's dribbling over the word, "mega."

You're what?

by Anonymousreply 102November 6, 2015 12:53 AM

Joan threatened to sue Shirley Jones because Shirley wrote in her autobiography that Joan approached her about having an orgy with Joan, Anthony Newley, Shirley and Jack Cassidy.

Shirley's publisher removed it from the book.

I guess the publisher figured since Shirley had no proof of the incident, he'd better delete it

by Anonymousreply 103November 6, 2015 12:54 AM

Garth Bardsley (sounds like a Harry Schearer character) wrote Newley's biography. Newley was open about having been a kept man in Lindon in between jobs. He (Newley) really didn't think there was anything odd or wrong about it. He considered himself free of sexual hang ups, so it was just matter-if-fact to him.

But when the bio was published, Newley fans were outraged on his behalf about this "allegation." Newley was advised not to talk about this in public, as it could be very detrimental to any career comeback he attempted.

Many of his dowdy middle-aged lady fans didn't know he was an exhibitionist.

by Anonymousreply 104November 6, 2015 1:18 AM

I saw Newley onstage in London, early 70's. I had no idea who he was going in, but never before or since have I seen charisma fill a huge theater like that. He was very off hand about it, like it was just a given that it would happen. Even in this middle of the week, middle of the run show.

I think a point that is being missed is that he was very much part of a writing team. Leslie Bricusse wrote the music, Newley the words and book.

by Anonymousreply 105November 6, 2015 1:47 AM

[quote] I saw Newley onstage in London, early 70's

What was the show?

by Anonymousreply 106November 6, 2015 2:58 AM

'Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?'

It's hard to think of a title that would make one wish to avoid a cinema more than that. You can watch the film version of Stop the World, I Want to Get Off on YouTube for $2.99. They filmed it in London with Newley's understudy. Dare I say it makes you wish for Newley's charisma to put it over. It's simply the stage musical set to film. You'll see why it isn't revived much any more. It's good material but its presentational style is twee and badly dated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107November 6, 2015 3:19 AM

I remember a playboy spread on that movie 'Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?' and I was fascinated by the glimpses of male nudity

by Anonymousreply 108November 6, 2015 3:53 AM

R108 see R9

by Anonymousreply 109November 6, 2015 6:43 AM

Wikipedia says that Newley mostly wrote the music and Bricusse the words.

by Anonymousreply 110November 6, 2015 7:43 AM

R106, it was "Roar." I remember there was series of missed cues with moving stage furniture and a row of ropes that were supposed to drop down that would be used to chime bells. There was a but of confusion but the cast moved right through and mimed pulling the rope handles. And then a couple of huge counter weights fell on the stage just missing the lined up cast. They did not miss a beat and wove the surprise and looking around right into the number.

Newley stayed totally relaxed but shared a "of course this would happen to me" look with the cast and audience. In character.

by Anonymousreply 111November 6, 2015 1:44 PM

Twee was rampant in the sixties and seventies.

People let me tell ya 'bout my best friend

by Anonymousreply 112November 6, 2015 9:15 PM

[quote] Peopke let me tell ya 'bout my best friend

I just found out that Jimmy Komack, the producer of that show and a lot of other twee crap, was Milton Berle's illegitimate son

by Anonymousreply 113November 6, 2015 10:01 PM

[quote] was Milton Berle's illegitimate son

Was he, eh, a chip off the old block?

by Anonymousreply 114November 6, 2015 10:24 PM

Was he in anything I'd know?

by Anonymousreply 115November 6, 2015 10:30 PM

[quote] Was he in anything I'd know?

YOU DON'T KNOW JOAN COLLINS?!

by Anonymousreply 116November 7, 2015 2:37 AM

Milton Berle's illegitimate son

EWWWWWW

by Anonymousreply 117November 8, 2015 12:19 AM

That would have made Milton Berle 16 years old when Jimmie Komack was born. Seems unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 118November 8, 2015 1:37 AM

Turned to TCM just now on see they're playing "Sweet November" with Sandy Dennis, and him. Could never stand him--hammy and annoying, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 119March 24, 2019 3:07 AM

I believe Sweet November was a big BOMB and the beginning of his demise as a Hollywood movie star.

by Anonymousreply 120March 24, 2019 3:46 AM

R15 that's really Eugene Levy on SCTV, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 121March 24, 2019 4:03 AM

No mention that Sammy Davis Jr. had two smash hits with Newley songs? Davis' version of What Kind of Fool Am I? is the definitive version and became his signature hit. Later, he also made The Candy Man, a huge hit. Let's face it Newley was a better songwriter than performer, even though his style isn't that different from Robert Goulet and he remained active in the business for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 24, 2019 4:04 AM

R19 kept beyond his expiration date, to judge from his aromatic performance at R15.

by Anonymousreply 123March 24, 2019 4:08 AM

Kate Smith did a great cover of "What Kind of Fool Am I?" for her London concert special.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 24, 2019 4:12 AM

[quote] Barbra Streisand was one of the many who were fascinated by his talent and charisma.

Has she spoken about Sacha?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 24, 2019 4:14 AM

Sacha is a very good artist.

by Anonymousreply 126March 24, 2019 4:22 AM

Sweet November is ludicrous as a romantic comedy because Newley comes across as being, dare I say gay, playing a great hetero lover, and to Sandy Dennis of all people. He's ready to fly right out of the room and she'll open the window for him.

by Anonymousreply 127March 24, 2019 7:39 AM

And remade with Keanu and Charlize...

by Anonymousreply 128March 24, 2019 7:52 AM

Never liked this guy but his version of Feeling Good does not make me nauseous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129March 24, 2019 9:10 AM

R122, I also like Life Is a Woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 24, 2019 12:05 PM

Anthony Newley was the Arful Dodger in the 1948 film version of OLIVER TWIST, with Alec Guinness as Fagin. He was not a bad child actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 24, 2019 1:01 PM

His lack of a top lip ruins his face.

He looks like a real perv.

Didn’t his son write a book and say something about abuse related to AN?

by Anonymousreply 132March 24, 2019 3:26 PM

I read his book. He doesn't actually call his father a pedophile, just says he liked young girls.

by Anonymousreply 133March 24, 2019 10:14 PM

R133, is the book good? Lot of gossip? I thought the son had someone who abused him.

by Anonymousreply 134March 31, 2019 4:23 PM

No, none of that, (the abuse) R134.

It's a pretty good book.

Though someone should have told him that detailed chapters about his fucking FISHING TRIPS probably weren't going to interest many people.

But he's a character and has an original perspective on life.

by Anonymousreply 135March 31, 2019 4:26 PM

THe son fishes? Lol

Thanks for the info- I’ll get it to read for the summer.

by Anonymousreply 136March 31, 2019 4:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!