Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Barbara Mandrell

Do you think she was a good singer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2020 10:15 PM

Depends on your point of reference.

Compared to Patsy, Loretta, Dolly, Tammy and Emmylou?

Meh.

Compared to the losers you hear on today's so-called "country" radio?

Genius.

by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2015 3:51 AM

She had a lovely, warm voice that only occasionally had any edge to it. It was perfect for something sentimental like "Years."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2015 3:59 AM

FAB!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2015 3:59 AM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2015 4:01 AM

I remember reading this allegedly true story years ago, back when the Mandrell Sisters had their TV show:

A young couple was watching the show with their toddler, who was mesmerized when the sisters began performing together. She slipped from the couch and walked slowly to the TV staring intently until her nose was against the screen. Then she turned and said,

"Are those puppets?"

by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2015 4:08 AM

I agree with r1, but I would add Dottie West and Tanya to his accurate list of superior singers. Still, Mandrell is heads and shoulders above the singers that you hear on today's country radio stations. "Sleeping Single in a Double Bed", "Fooled By a Feeling", along with "Years" are country gems.

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2015 2:19 PM

This is the first I saw of her the other day and thought it was pretty good. I looked up her age and was surprised she was in her early 20s here. Supposedly she's Oprah's best, non submissive friend. In other words I guess Oprah idolizes her. She just sound really original here. Not so cookie cutter. Weirdest wig I've ever seen though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2015 2:31 PM

If Barbara Mandrell had married Howie Mandel, divorced him and married Lana Cantrell...

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2015 2:36 PM

R7 Maybe it's not a wig R8 That would be a funny thread if it hasn't already been done..I almost hear a hint of Karen Carpenter..

by Anonymousreply 9November 3, 2015 2:54 PM

My fave:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 3, 2015 3:01 PM

My aunt's friend was Barbara's long time maid.

She had nothing nice to say about her.

She was overly demanding, bitchy beyond belief and above all else cheap.

On the other hand, Mandrell's husband was easy going and always apologizing for Barbara's bad behavior.

by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2015 3:40 PM

Country music purists hate her but she was big in her day.

by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2015 6:33 PM

Irlene and her daughters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 3, 2015 6:40 PM

[quote]Country music purists hate her but she was big in her day.

But she was country when country wasn't cool!

by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2015 6:44 PM

R10, I love Barbara's version so much more than the original.

by Anonymousreply 15November 8, 2015 4:02 AM

Where is the Crystal Gayle appreciation thread?

Her voice is molten gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 8, 2015 4:22 AM

I love a very young Crystal. Before they classed her up with the gowns and elocution lessons. A teenage Crystal was a marvel to look at.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 8, 2015 4:26 AM

A 17 year old Crystal. I love the fearlessness of young singers before handlers get a hold of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 8, 2015 4:30 AM

the last two clips are Classic Crystal.

by Anonymousreply 19November 8, 2015 4:49 AM

Didn't Barbara play the accordian?

by Anonymousreply 20November 8, 2015 5:20 AM

She played just about every instrument under the Sun. Including Reba's vag.

by Anonymousreply 21November 9, 2015 10:32 PM

Lol r21

by Anonymousreply 22November 9, 2015 10:43 PM

IDK, OP. Maybe post an example of a song you liked by her?

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2020 10:10 PM

Medium sized talent, was I believe a lot of consensus when she was popular and her tv series. But I don't think Beyonce is any better frankly, just more PR.

by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2020 10:12 PM

Has Crystal Gayle ever cut her hair? It mustn't be very sanitary to have one's hair be a self-attached broom.

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2020 10:13 PM

Sorry, never heard of these people.

by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2020 10:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!