Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Recent movies that no one remembers

What are some relatively recent (let's say anything released after 1990 or so) that seem to have vanished from the public conscience despite not being all that old? I'm not talking about art movies or indie films, but mainstream Hollywood movies that received a wide release.

I nominate this one (see link). Unfortunately, I actually paid to see this shit in the theaters....when I tell people about they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115April 26, 2020 7:47 PM

This one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2015 12:36 AM

This one is from 1988, I saw it in the theater, and liked it. No one I ever knew heard about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2015 12:44 AM

I am so glad that I saw "Birth" in a local ol' fashioned real theater, which is a few months away from its 100th anniversary of existence. I really found it exasperating and at the same time there were some spellbinding scenes. So, of course i purchased the dvd, too. I know Nicole Kidman is DL-poison around here. I have only seen her in a few movies and for me it was the exact opposite of it being forgettable or hate-able, this one. I will put it on my to- do list to find some hate for a film that meets the OP's criteria.

by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2015 12:44 AM

I was the poster who nominated "Birth" but as flawed as that movie was, it did contain some of the best acting Nicole Kidman supplied this side of "The Others." In better hands, this could've been a major critical success.

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2015 12:47 AM

I saw this one in the cinema, but don't remember a single moment from it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2015 12:49 AM

Huge meh .......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2015 12:51 AM

I saw Birth, too - fished the DVD out of a dollar bin somewhere. It was flawed but interesting

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2015 12:53 AM

War Horse

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2015 12:57 AM

The only reason I remember this movie is that it was the first movie my partner and I went to see together when we started dating:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 3, 2015 1:01 AM

Here's another one I actually paid to see - I was the only person in the theater

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 3, 2015 1:04 AM

Contact is not in any way, shape or form a film that no one remembers.

by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2015 1:21 AM

This one for sure:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2015 1:24 AM

Bobby falls into the "laughable attempt at Oscar Bait" category

by Anonymousreply 13November 3, 2015 1:25 AM

I actually like this film, but it seems to have faded out of the cultural memory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2015 1:27 AM

Quiz Show is the only movie I remember so far.

by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2015 1:28 AM

The Legend of Bagger Vance

The Cider House Rules

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2015 1:29 AM

Sadly, I am the fan of "Birth" that found it to be a memorable film. and dammit if i don't find "Contact" to be the same, a lot of it boils down to the connection between the daughter and the father that is , to me, nicely portrayed. the stuff with Matthew Mc, well i know, they tried but that, to me, was forgettable the first 5 times i watched the movie. Never saw it in a theater, but it was in that crazy late 90's window of having a pirated "box" that allowed me to watch movies being broadcast on cable at the time. This is an intriguing thread, I commend the OP, and am still thinking about a film that i find forgettable and sad that I saw in the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 17November 3, 2015 1:29 AM

I saw this on a date during high school, but I don't remember anything about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 3, 2015 1:31 AM

Changing Lanes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 3, 2015 1:32 AM

Except for "Bobby," I've seen every single one of the movies mentioned.

You can't quite say that nobody remembers "Avatar," considering it's the highest-grossing movie of all time, but does anyone think about it anymore? I'm sure Sigourney Weaver occasionally has to be reminded, "Oh, yeah, I was in that" before her mind drifts back to "Aliens" and "Ghostbusters."

by Anonymousreply 20November 3, 2015 1:37 AM

The Matt Dillon thread reminded me of this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 3, 2015 1:46 AM

"Inception" ... I saw it in a theater but was I was so slow on the uptake trying to follow it. I know it is probably remembered and revered, but for me it was very forgettable due to my difficulty following it. Some great cgi scenes, though. I am the guy who remembers "Birth" and "Contact" and I also admire the balls of whoever mentioned "Avatar", cuz i do agree.

by Anonymousreply 22November 3, 2015 1:47 AM

This Jennifer Aniston mess

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 3, 2015 1:59 AM

Contact is one of the biggest sci-fi films from the past few decades. It's silly to say no one remembers it.

by Anonymousreply 24November 3, 2015 2:09 AM

Very recently 'Mr. Holmes' with Ian McKellen. Decent reviews and good press---sank without a trace. I am the only person I know who saw or even heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 25November 3, 2015 2:13 AM

Sorry, but I thought Birth was a really good film, and Kidmen was great in it. Though, Nichole gave her best performance in The Others.

by Anonymousreply 26November 3, 2015 2:19 AM

Once upon a time, they tried to make Anne Heche a thing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 3, 2015 2:39 AM

And how about A Kiss before Dying, R21, in which he marries Sean Young? Talk about movies best left forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 3, 2015 2:47 AM

This one!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 3, 2015 2:48 AM

Sorry, R23, but that mess is impossible to avoid. It seems to be on TV more days of the year than it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 30November 3, 2015 2:48 AM

Was intrigued by Birth.

America's Sweetheart, a lazy piece of work baited with multiple 1990s stars in dull, hasty cameos, flopped at the box office. It felt good.

by Anonymousreply 31November 3, 2015 2:50 AM

Full Frontal (2002).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 3, 2015 2:52 AM

R30, that film is actually pretty underrated and has its own following.

by Anonymousreply 33November 3, 2015 2:54 AM

[quote] Contact is not in any way, shape or form a film that no one remembers.

I don't remember it.

by Anonymousreply 34November 3, 2015 2:58 AM

The recent movie about Brian Wilson. Excellent. Not good with names. Young Brian was played by a brilliant uoung actor. He played one of the shooters in the movie based on Columbine. In Little Miss Sunshine he plays the older brother of the girl. Brooding, depressed, intuitive . Handsomr as anything. Why do movies fly faster then bullshit out of Trump's lips. They don't stand a chance against these moronic alleged blockbusters. Rant over

by Anonymousreply 35November 3, 2015 3:00 AM

What was the name of the movie, r35?

by Anonymousreply 36November 3, 2015 3:08 AM

Love and Mercy.... you are right, it will be forgotten but it should not be. Paul Dano was outstanding as young Brian Wilson, agreed.

by Anonymousreply 37November 3, 2015 3:11 AM

Matchstick Men

by Anonymousreply 38November 3, 2015 3:13 AM

"Contact" belongs in "Movies that are always on cable" thread.

by Anonymousreply 39November 3, 2015 3:25 AM

hmmm, guess Contact is not a big DL favorite, can we try ....anything with Adam Sandler in it in the last 20 years, and damn buddy i used to like Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore back in the day. but yes i still love The Wedding Singer.

by Anonymousreply 40November 3, 2015 3:46 AM

Flyboys

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

North

by Anonymousreply 41November 3, 2015 4:06 AM

The Wedding Singer is the only Adam Sandler movie that I like, and it's currently on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 42November 3, 2015 4:52 AM

[quote]Contact is not in any way, shape or form a film that no one remembers.

[quote]I don't remember it. that was easily disproved

[italic]Not a film that no one remembers[/italic] does not mean [italic]a film that everyone remembers.[/italic] So no, it was not easily disproved to those who understand logic.

by Anonymousreply 43November 3, 2015 11:29 AM

Oh God, yes, R1! I saw that with my sister, and what a borefest! This left me in no mood to see his subsequent effort, UNDER THE SKIN. And I don't even like the video for Karma Police (great song btw).

by Anonymousreply 44November 3, 2015 11:32 AM

UNDER THE SKIN was fantastic. One of the best films of 2014.

by Anonymousreply 45November 3, 2015 11:34 AM

There must be a curse. There are at least 3 films I've seen with my sister so far (all meh if not outright megaboring). And these are films I've ONLY seen with my sister. We don't get along so I guess we're programmed not to have fun.

by Anonymousreply 46November 3, 2015 11:35 AM

Quiz Show is one of my favourite films. Even if it's not the greatest of films, it's still immensely likeable. I loved seeing it at the cinema (I was 16), we have it at home and watch it at least once or twice a year, maybe more. My girlfriend is enamoured with the look and the story, and we call Ralph Fiennes "Quiz Show".

by Anonymousreply 47November 3, 2015 11:38 AM

R25, my gf and I are currently streaming Mr Holmes. The only reason we stopped was because there was a bug with the stream. I really like Bill Condon as a filmmaker.

by Anonymousreply 48November 3, 2015 11:40 AM

Full Frontal is the shittiest shit that ever shat. Community theatre doing improv is better than this.

by Anonymousreply 49November 3, 2015 11:41 AM

I might have tried Love and Mercy, which got a rave from The New York Times, but it has two actors I try to avoid in it - John Cusack and Elizabeth Banks. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 50November 3, 2015 11:45 AM

John Cusack could own this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 3, 2015 11:51 AM

John Cusack could own this thread #2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 3, 2015 11:51 AM

John Cusack could own this thread #3

And I've seen all these shitty movies, and I don't even like John Cusack. I did like Bridget Fonda at some point, ditto Molly Parker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 3, 2015 11:54 AM

Another Cusack shitfest, literally. I've not seen this one, has anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54November 3, 2015 11:55 AM

I'll see your BIRTH and raise you THE HUMAN STAIN.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 3, 2015 12:14 PM

Somehow The Human Stain has been all over this thread from the beginning. Must have been the Anthony Hopkins connection (who wisely decided to stay off movies some decades ago).

by Anonymousreply 56November 3, 2015 12:35 PM

The "James Franco Flops That No One Cared About" trilogy - Annapolis, Flyboys, and Tristan and Isolde. Because I had a crush on him (why?) and saw all three of these awful movies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 3, 2015 8:51 PM

At least Franco was a lot better looking back then. Since he decided he's a serious artist, you could now fill this thread with "James Franco indie flops meant to raise doubt over his heterosexuality" like "Interior Leather Bar" and "Howl."

by Anonymousreply 58November 3, 2015 8:56 PM

Two Spielberg efforts: "The Terminal" and "Memoirs Of A Geisha". The former was on local L.A. television this past weekend- -on one of those off-channels that air mostly straight-to-DVD movies.

by Anonymousreply 59November 3, 2015 9:10 PM

R59, I think Rob Marshall directed "Geisha".

Third vote for "Full Frontal" being the shittiest, most instantly forgettable movie by an often great director.

I want to see "Mr. Holmes" and "Love and Mercy". They came and went very quickly from the cinemas.

I love "Quiz Show".

It is interesting which movies just fade away and aren't even remembered. "Blow" and "Big Fish" were huge releases at the time and were too boring to be remembered. This is what happens to MEH movies.

"Suffragette" will soon be tossed into this category.

by Anonymousreply 60November 3, 2015 9:16 PM

So will THE IRON LADY.

by Anonymousreply 61November 3, 2015 9:19 PM

Premium Rush

by Anonymousreply 62November 3, 2015 9:19 PM

I loved Under the Skin, can't wait to watch Birth. I remember it being panned at the time of its first release, but i read that in the past 10 years it's become a critics' fave, and i like Nicole Kidman in almost anything (sue me)

by Anonymousreply 63November 3, 2015 9:29 PM

Some good films that no-one talks about:

25th Hour

A Serious Man (the most under-rated of the Coen brother movies)

Master & Commander: Far Side of the World

Shadow of the Vampire

Wonder Boys

by Anonymousreply 64November 3, 2015 9:40 PM

I watched Shadow of the Vampire a few weeks ago, R64. It's a very good movie, but it's not the kind of thing that will fill a multiplex(unfortunately).

by Anonymousreply 65November 3, 2015 9:46 PM

well, i'm finally watching Birth, so far it's great. can't imagine how anyone who's seen it could forget it. it's quite haunting.

by Anonymousreply 66November 3, 2015 10:54 PM

Does even Oliver Stone remember making this? It came out at the point when people were just glad that the nightmare the movie was dealing with was ending and didn't care to dwell too much on what was basically preaching to the choir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 3, 2015 11:05 PM

Stone's World Trade Center is another film that no one talks about. People still talk about Alexander though, but for all the wrong reasons.

by Anonymousreply 68November 3, 2015 11:10 PM

A few movies that got a lot of press but no one can really remember watching would be "The Changling" "Cold Mountain" and "The Hours".

by Anonymousreply 69November 3, 2015 11:11 PM

[quote] "The Hours"

Are you kidding me?? It's mentioned in every undeserved Oscar discussion here.

by Anonymousreply 70November 3, 2015 11:14 PM

Gods and Monsters and Love and Death on Long Island. I don't know anyone who's seen these--outside of Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 71November 3, 2015 11:18 PM

The Crying Game

by Anonymousreply 72November 3, 2015 11:41 PM

The Road to Perdition -- very serious Oscar bait that I forgot about before the sunlight even hit my face outside the theater exit.

Like Crash, had a suffocating sense of self-importance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 3, 2015 11:44 PM

The Crying Game's supposed plot twist had a good shelf life in popular culture.

by Anonymousreply 74November 3, 2015 11:45 PM

Glazer's movies are an acquired taste, to put it mildly. People who dislike them tend to insanely loathe them. I thought Under the Skin was utterly brilliant but I know people who look at me like I'm out of my mind when I say that.

by Anonymousreply 75November 3, 2015 11:52 PM

I saw Strange Days in the cinema, and remember it being a big thing at the time. Seems completely forgotten now.

Ed Norton was all the rage with "Primal Fear" but it's now forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 76November 3, 2015 11:53 PM

Million Dollar Baby. People wouldn't shut up about that now it's just as punchline in jokes.

by Anonymousreply 77November 3, 2015 11:58 PM

I thought "Primal Fear" was one of those movies that always showed up on basic cable, like so many of those mid-to-late nineties legal thrillers.

by Anonymousreply 78November 4, 2015 12:14 AM

Sky Captain's mention above reminded me of a few other movies I saw back on original release with my group of friends who were more into blockbuster movies than me - the drama and indie kid: Van Helsing, Chicken Run, From Hell, and Clash of the Titans.

by Anonymousreply 79November 4, 2015 12:20 AM

Brando and Broderick! Two of the greats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80November 4, 2015 12:21 AM

Gladiator

by Anonymousreply 81November 4, 2015 12:25 AM

25 mainly forgotten US number 1 movies from the 2000s

I actually had forgotten most of these

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 4, 2015 12:25 AM

The "Let's Make Kevin Spacey a Leading Man" flops: K-Pax, The Shipping News, etc.

by Anonymousreply 83November 4, 2015 12:29 AM

The 90s version looked even worse

by Anonymousreply 84November 4, 2015 12:30 AM

I have a soft spot for JOHN Q. I loved it as a kid, probably watched it 10+ times. I haven't seen it in years though.

by Anonymousreply 85November 4, 2015 12:47 AM

I Love Trouble

by Anonymousreply 86November 4, 2015 1:01 AM

Dante's Peak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 4, 2015 1:09 AM

Saw this one on cable at 1 am

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88November 4, 2015 1:36 AM

1997 and 1998 were twin disaster movie years. '97 with Dante's Peak and Volcano (Anne Heche was really busy around that time) and '98 with Armageddon and Deep Impact.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89November 4, 2015 1:55 AM

R89: cashing in on all the impeding millennium doom anxiety

by Anonymousreply 90November 4, 2015 1:57 AM

^impending

by Anonymousreply 91November 4, 2015 1:57 AM

12 Years a Zero Dark Blue Valentine, True Grit remake, A Serious Man, The Master, Inception, Oyhood, Birdmenses, Poxcatcher, Silver Jennifer Hustle, etc. ugh, so many of them never deliver their shining promise even though they're coated in oily hype and baptized in movie critic cumspew. Cinema de la magnesium citrate - bon appetit, hipster millennials!

by Anonymousreply 92November 4, 2015 3:35 AM

Another vote for Cold Mountain. What a bore, and a terrible use of good actors and scenery.

by Anonymousreply 93November 4, 2015 8:24 AM

W was a very forgettable movie... There's not much I remember from it apart from the hazing scene at the beginning. But then, the same could be said of Wag the Dog (only remember Kirsten Dunst) and Primary Colors (Emma Thompson makes a great lesbian, I did have a huge crush on her back in the mid-90s). Primary Colors might be the best of bunch, but that's not saying much.

Give us VEEP!!!! In the Loop, another great politics movie. Even All the President's Men.

by Anonymousreply 94November 4, 2015 8:27 AM

The Changeling was a very compelling watch (apart from John Malkovich's distracting wig combined with his equally annoying acting). Wouldn't want to watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 95November 4, 2015 8:29 AM

R94, I've always believed that "Primary Colors" is the most underrated film of the past twenty years. People thought it was about the Clintons, but what it's really about is how we deal with people like them, and has the best work Kathy Bates has ever done on film. It may not be remembered that well, but it should be. It's a legitimately great movie disguised as a Clinton parody.

"W" was forgettable, except for the fact that Thandie Newton played Condi Rice the same way that she played her character in "Beloved."

by Anonymousreply 96November 4, 2015 5:51 PM

I barely remember Kathy Bates from the movie... Wasn't she playing a lesbian? I see her clothed on a bed, somehow

by Anonymousreply 97November 4, 2015 8:07 PM

The Express

by Anonymousreply 98November 4, 2015 11:53 PM

Meet Joe Black - WEHT Claire Forlani?

by Anonymousreply 99November 4, 2015 11:58 PM

I had to watch Cold Mountain but I gave up in relief once Phil Hoffman died (spoiler!). Died in the movie, that is.

by Anonymousreply 100November 5, 2015 1:20 AM

Silver LInings Playbook. Instantly forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 101November 5, 2015 1:22 AM

Paul Thomas Anderson cast Patty McCormack in The Master, and then gave her nothing to do. But Joaquin and Hoffman were indulged like nobody's business.

by Anonymousreply 102November 5, 2015 1:23 AM

Janet McTeer got an Oscar nomination for Tumbleweeds (1999); I don't think anybody has watched it since then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 5, 2015 1:30 AM

In fairness, the only thing Patty is good for is the use of a human mattress

by Anonymousreply 104November 5, 2015 1:31 AM

Michelle Pfeiffer Oscar Bait

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 5, 2015 1:36 AM

Anyone remember the movie Dream With the Fishes? Starring David Arquette and Karherine Erbe. I saw it in the theater, my stoned college-aged self looooved it.

by Anonymousreply 106November 5, 2015 2:23 AM

R96, I so agree with you....one of my favorite films.

by Anonymousreply 107November 5, 2015 2:47 AM

The Buttarah

by Anonymousreply 108November 5, 2015 2:49 AM

Claire Forlani was in a movie with Jamie Bell. I had almost forgotten about her.

by Anonymousreply 109November 5, 2015 9:21 AM

Most of these movies were forgotten for good reason. They were utter shit.

by Anonymousreply 110April 26, 2020 3:30 PM

Birth is frequently mentioned in threads but the premise is utterly ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 111April 26, 2020 3:43 PM

Three Billboards

The Interview

Fury

Noah

The Butler

Red State

The Artist

127 Hours

by Anonymousreply 112April 26, 2020 4:03 PM

I adore my fellow middlegays and eldergays, declaring 1990 to be "recent".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113April 26, 2020 7:22 PM

In the Cut

by Anonymousreply 114April 26, 2020 7:43 PM

A lot of the films on this list (In the Cut, Birth, etc.) are well-known among film geeks and get written up in academic journals.

by Anonymousreply 115April 26, 2020 7:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!