Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Natural rug: Jute, Seagrass, or Sisal

Which kind should I get, and why?

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2021 1:20 AM

OP

Jute, if you have to. All of them may look good in a design sense, but Seagrass and Sisal are uncomfortable to walk on or lie on. Jute is marginally better.

by Anonymousreply 1November 1, 2015 5:21 PM

And forget sisal if you want to get on your knees from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 2November 1, 2015 5:29 PM

Kitties love that shit

by Anonymousreply 3November 1, 2015 5:34 PM

R2

Yes, that too. I remember it well, so thanks for the laugh.

by Anonymousreply 4November 1, 2015 5:37 PM

Seagrass doesn't stain. Jute and Sisal do.

by Anonymousreply 5November 1, 2015 5:40 PM

OP

One other thing...the rubber backing on those rugs decomposes. I've had one completely meld into a carpet it was on - my mistake for not checking, but it never occurred to me. I've also had it stick to tile and had to scrape the rubber off the tile.

That was just my experience. Got rid of them all.

by Anonymousreply 6November 1, 2015 6:30 PM

[quote]That was just my experience. Got rid of them all.

& replaced them with?

by Anonymousreply 7November 1, 2015 7:06 PM

I like natural plant fiber rugs, but they're rarely a good permanent solution for a long term, or if one has pets. Despite the (short-term) durability, they're a bitch to clean and eventually show wear and have to be chucked out.

Traditionally straw mats and similar natural plant fiber rugs were used in some houses in the warm months and the woven wool rigs put away and everything switched back with cool weather.

Woven straw and other whole reed rugs are less rough on bare feet (and knees).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 1, 2015 8:22 PM

R7

Wool rugs.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2015 1:20 AM

R1 you sure do know your stuff. It’s like we have our own Martha Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 10February 10, 2021 12:31 AM

2015 bump troll strikes again. Can’t someone “do something” about this person?

by Anonymousreply 11February 10, 2021 1:09 AM

Jute OP.

by Anonymousreply 12February 10, 2021 1:16 AM

Definitely thea grath or thithal.

by Anonymousreply 13February 10, 2021 1:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!