Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Do So Many Gay Men Dress So Poorly?

I know we have a rep for being snappy dressers and all, but I see so many exceptions. Three main clusters:

1. THE SAUSAGES: Gay men who are overweight will squeeze themselves into tight, trendy clothes that only serve to make them look like Vienna sausages. They'll have major muffin top pouring out of the top of those too-tight jeans, moobs jiggling in their too-tight shirts. Often accompanied by a bad highlighting job. Even straight guys know not to do this.

2. THE TRENDIES: Not all fashion trends look good on you. Especially if you are over 40. Those PeakyBlinders/Macklemore haircuts are a good current example. You don't have to look like a frump, but trying to look like a college student isn't a good idea,

3. EVERY DAY IS HALLOWEEN: The least common, but common enough- these guys don't wear clothes, they wear costumes. Stuff so outrageous that everyone turns around to stare, especially little kids. Why? I mean other than a strong need for attention.

by Anonymousreply 77April 21, 2018 4:23 PM

[quote]Not all fashion trends look good on you. Especially if you are over 40. Those PeakyBlinders/Macklemore haircuts are a good current example.

Well, to be fair, that hair cut trend seems to have hit mainstream with Brad Pitt in that movie Fury from 2014. Also, that hair cut is an update to a somewhat retro look from that mid-century period. So, to say that you ought not to get that cut if you're over 40 when it actually started with someone well over 40 is a bit hypocritical.

by Anonymousreply 1November 1, 2015 11:39 AM

Maybe this thread would better titled, why are so many gay men fashion victims?

I'm self admittedly not a great dresser, but thankfully I don't fall into any of the categories.

by Anonymousreply 2November 1, 2015 11:42 AM

R1 has that haircut. And is over 40.

by Anonymousreply 3November 1, 2015 11:45 AM

OP - have you considered that you have not noticed that amount the elegant, well dressed men, there are gays. You aren't noticing them. You are noticing stereotypical bad fashion choices by tasteless homos.

by Anonymousreply 4November 1, 2015 11:45 AM

Most gay men are well groomed.

by Anonymousreply 5November 1, 2015 11:46 AM

R4 and R5 - yes, just to spell it out, many gay men are snappy dressers, but there are also many among us who are not.

Those are not mutually exclusive statements.

by Anonymousreply 6November 1, 2015 11:49 AM

Our gay ghettos are disappearing, gay and lesbian bars are closing, out gays are assimilating wherever they wish to live and OP notices the last of a dying breed who are fighting the good fight.

Fuck heartless OP.

by Anonymousreply 7November 1, 2015 11:53 AM

One of my friends is a sausage. He buys clothes that are the size he wants to wear, not the size he is. He's perennially poised to start a diet that never happens.

by Anonymousreply 8November 1, 2015 11:54 AM

That's the thing R8. A lot of the "sausages" are wearing clothes that would look fine if they'd bought the large and not the medium.

by Anonymousreply 9November 1, 2015 11:56 AM

[quote][R1] has that haircut. And is over 40

No, I don't.

But you, r3, are obviously some moronic child who thinks that the world revolves around him and everything he does is new and original.

Show me evidence that that hair cut was on trend BEFORE that movie opened. Brad Pitt was over 50 in that movie.

While it's true that the vast majority of men do not look as good as Brad Pitt, the notion that that hair cut is the invention of people under 40, especially when it was commonly worn by men of all ages the last time it went around, is ridiculous.

Oh, and let's just remember that it's mostly douchey hipsters in their 20s wearing those absurd beards. Most men over 40 will more than happily cede that style to you.

by Anonymousreply 10November 1, 2015 12:00 PM

R10 is really, really, really worked up about that hairstyle.

Are you a barber?

by Anonymousreply 11November 1, 2015 12:04 PM

Or Pitt's stylist from Fury. Take your pick.

by Anonymousreply 12November 1, 2015 12:05 PM

This reads like an American problem colliding with an officious queen problem.

by Anonymousreply 13November 1, 2015 12:13 PM

I gave myself my first facial hair (mustache and beard) for my birthday this year.

It's coming in with stripes of white. So cool and fun.

by Anonymousreply 14November 1, 2015 12:16 PM

I do noticed gays in rural, midwest, northwest is not as trendy as the ones in big cities/states like NY, Chicago, Atlanta, Los Angeles etc. I guess it all depends on the geographical areas they happen to live.

by Anonymousreply 15November 1, 2015 12:17 PM

Because gay men are men, OP, not an exclusive gaggle of nellies, prada and lipgloss kweens and Tom Ford.

by Anonymousreply 16November 1, 2015 12:30 PM

R16s response makes no sense in reply to the OP

by Anonymousreply 17November 1, 2015 12:33 PM

I remember when i visited my old college buddy in the country somewhere in Idaho he was in overalls and plaid shirt and Timbs. Looking more like a lumberjack than the gay dude i went to college with. So it really is all depends on where they live.

by Anonymousreply 18November 1, 2015 12:37 PM

[quote]is really, really, really worked up about that hairstyle.

r11 - I'm not worked up about the hair cut.

What bugged me was something that happens frequently here on DL - the casual dismissal in the face of evidence contrary to rigidly held opinions without support.

I'm not saying you have to agree. But, don't resort to attacking the person, instead of the points under discussion. Argue my points - show where the trend hit, demonstrate that the cut is not from mid-century or worn by all different ages the last time.

by Anonymousreply 19November 1, 2015 12:39 PM

That cut is difficult to maintain or grow out. It reminds me of the faux hawk from ten years ago.

I think that's why we get stuck in a time warp. I kept a high&tight for eight years only because it was so easy for any cutter to replicate.

by Anonymousreply 20November 1, 2015 12:53 PM

Except for men who look good in anything, everything, or nothing, nobody looks good in the Peaky Blinders haircut.

by Anonymousreply 21November 1, 2015 2:09 PM

Are y'all talking about what we were calling the Hitler Youth cut here a while back? I think the stylists' term is the "undercut."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 1, 2015 2:47 PM

[quote]OP notices the last of a dying breed who are fighting the good fight.

Oh, for God's sake. Even I couldn't sell that one.

by Anonymousreply 23November 1, 2015 2:50 PM

OK, someone explain to me what it is about these oversized (?) baseball hats as casual fashion statements? When did that start? Why? How does anybody think it actually looks good. Looks absolutely ridiculous to me to parade around with something too big for your head planted squarely on top of your head. Look at me, it cries, I'm a fool. Educate me. I can't figure out that one.

by Anonymousreply 24November 1, 2015 2:52 PM

But but you an get a young top if you just dress the same age!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 1, 2015 2:53 PM

I've only seen well groomed gay men. Sorry.

I'm gay and I'm not as groomed but Inonly see other gay men who are well put together.

by Anonymousreply 26November 1, 2015 2:54 PM

I read once that as you age you should dress more conservatively (which I inferred to mean more classic, simply and not too trendy) but would be well served by current fashion hairstyles and (if you need them) glasses. I thought that made good sense because, yeah, I tend to think a 40 or 50 year old trying to long hip generally just looks kind of sad. Even if they have the bod for it, wearing the clothes of people thirty years younger than yourself screams shallow, vain, insecure and high maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 27November 1, 2015 2:54 PM

[quote]Peaky Blinders haircut.

Was Peaky Blinders blind, because if you don't like the look of it that might explain why.

by Anonymousreply 28November 1, 2015 2:56 PM

They make you look dudebroesque, R24. And for some, there is no finer look.

by Anonymousreply 29November 1, 2015 2:57 PM

I like younger fit//fat guys in slightly too tight clothing. Something really sexy about it...

by Anonymousreply 30November 1, 2015 3:00 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 1, 2015 3:18 PM

Botero and the Gay Sausage Aesthetic - look for my article in an issue of the highbrow criticism journal, October, next year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 1, 2015 3:19 PM

I am over 50 and go to progressive DJs at clubs, and ridiculous hipster music events in Geneva. There's always a smattering of 40-60 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 33November 1, 2015 3:20 PM

Women make a lot of those same mistakes: too-tight clothes on a too pudgy body in a mistaken attempt to look sexy, and dressing way too young for their age as if no one would notice they are really 50.

by Anonymousreply 34November 1, 2015 3:35 PM

Op post a pic so we can judge you.

by Anonymousreply 35November 1, 2015 3:44 PM

Most gay men have, thankfully, dropped the too tight and/or deep V tee shirt look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 1, 2015 4:01 PM

Too many mutton dressed up as lambs.

by Anonymousreply 37November 1, 2015 4:58 PM

People should dress whatever way they want, regardless of what some hideous judgmental queen like OP thinks

by Anonymousreply 38November 1, 2015 5:06 PM

R38 Sometimes people are screaming to be ridiculed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 1, 2015 8:36 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 1, 2015 8:40 PM

Men, both gay and normal, buy clothes one size too small thinking it makes the look muscular.

The fact is they've been wearing oversized clothes since the 90s and the trend is only growing not lessening.

My main gripe is facial hair. Men seem to be too lazy to shave. A beard should be well kept or you look like a slob.

by Anonymousreply 41November 1, 2015 10:08 PM

When I weighed 120 pounds at 5'8 I found a lot of clothes that fit. After cancer I did what the doctors told me and took some meds that it turns out I should not have and gained 65 pounds in three months. My weight has gone as low as 142 "for a few seconds" but wants to stay at 165 which is obese to me and that's the size I am now. I can't find any clothes that fit me that I can afford. Most of the clothes that would fit me best have usually been bought. It's really tough for me. I used to look so nice and dress so well. So maybe some of the things that happened to me have happened to other guys and that's why they look the way they do. My hair used to be really nice too. It was naturally between a light to medium brown and so soft. I could style it in many different styles and many different lengths. Now it's well over half gray hairs which are stiffer hairs that don't want to style and although I don't have any bald spots it is probably half the numbers of hairs I used to have (so it's thinned out). It just won't style so I let the girls cut my hair in a fade. I've been keeping it pretty short. I color it sometimes and other times let it go its natural colors. Please love me....more.

by Anonymousreply 42November 1, 2015 10:35 PM

[quote] Men, both gay and normal,

Fuck off, frau.

by Anonymousreply 43November 1, 2015 10:37 PM

r42, 5'8 165 is not obese

by Anonymousreply 44November 1, 2015 11:15 PM

OP, taking a break from social criticism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 1, 2015 11:18 PM

It's not just gay men, OP, it's everyone. Slovenly, ill-fitting, unattractive clothing and style is everywhere. Straight men are often given a pass for looking like slobs but more is expected of gay men. We're supposed to be well-dressed and well-groomed.

Most people don't have their clothing tailored anymore which is a huge mistake. Even an inexpensive jacket or pair of pants will look all right if they are tailored well.

by Anonymousreply 46November 1, 2015 11:37 PM

👗

by Anonymousreply 47April 20, 2018 2:40 AM

The permatanned, bleached blond, tight-t-shirted, 43 year old bottom is a regular fixture in most gay clubs.

by Anonymousreply 48April 20, 2018 2:52 AM

Young, young, YOUNG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 20, 2018 2:59 AM

I like the way men dressed casually in the late 50s and early 60s. Not too stuffy and not too slovenly. I still think this is the best style, especially for men older than 30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 20, 2018 2:59 AM

[quote]I like the way men dressed casually in the late 50s and early 60s. Not too stuffy and not too slovenly. I still think this is the best style, especially for men older than 30.

Agreed. I buy a lot of vintage casual ... not to look like a hipster, but because the cuts are so much better than the ones today. Not flashy but rather nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 20, 2018 3:04 AM

[51] You can learn a lot by simply watching old ‘Twilight Zone’ or ‘Alfred Hitchcock Presents’ episodes. That’s all the fashion advice you need as a man. I quit wearing fashionable clothes and sneakers when I was 25.

by Anonymousreply 52April 20, 2018 3:10 AM

Some straight men dress very well. Some gay men have no fashion sense. Men in general should not be pidgeon holed.

by Anonymousreply 53April 20, 2018 3:21 AM

R31, I think his hair looks nice!

by Anonymousreply 54April 20, 2018 5:05 AM

You know, part of the problem for me is that I dislike a lot of men’s colors/styles. Women’s clothes always catches my eyes, but when I go shopping for myself, I’m like, OK, get ready to wade through 20 variations of gray and try to find one thing out of haystack that doesn’t depress me, but isn’t too flamboyant. I think that leads to poor choices. Very rare to find what I’m looking for. Always searching for that happy medium between looking unique but not too showy. Ya know?

by Anonymousreply 55April 20, 2018 5:17 AM

How about 4) boring

by Anonymousreply 56April 20, 2018 5:29 AM

Taste is inate. You either have it or you dont. It may take younger men longer to learn what works for them. So many trashy people in the world. Trashy gays are the worst. I call them ‘garbage gays’.

by Anonymousreply 57April 20, 2018 5:52 AM

[quote] Taste is inate. You either have it or you dont.

Unlike proper spelling and punctuation skills, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 58April 20, 2018 5:56 AM

"Trashy gays are the worst. I call them ‘garbage gays’. "

You remind me of someone. I just can't put my finger on it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 20, 2018 6:02 AM

When did "on trend" become a trend?

Je ne give a shit pas about haircuts.

by Anonymousreply 60April 20, 2018 10:49 AM

Exactly R5.

Expect the most of the posters on Datalounge which has been proven time and again in the how to dress threads over the years here. Most posters here have awful dress sense and general taste.

A lot of them wear dockers and sock and sandals.

by Anonymousreply 61April 20, 2018 10:54 AM

Nobody wears socks w/sandals. Except one male lesbian I know: Birkenstocks and these tweedy-looking calcetines. Ai-ai-ai.

by Anonymousreply 62April 20, 2018 10:58 AM

[quote]You can learn a lot by simply watching old ‘Twilight Zone’ or ‘Alfred Hitchcock Presents’ episodes. That’s all the fashion advice you need as a man.

Good advice. That really was the golden age for casual men's wear. Even the hoods had great style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 20, 2018 11:07 AM

[quote]The permatanned, bleached blond, tight-t-shirted, 43 year old bottom is a regular fixture in most gay clubs.

Closer to 53, OP.

by Anonymousreply 64April 20, 2018 11:20 AM

Sorry, I meant R48.

by Anonymousreply 65April 20, 2018 11:21 AM

I’ve seen the bleached blonde middle-aged type all over the world, and it’s a sad look, even if you’re attractive. If you feel like you need to color your hair, go for dark blonde or light brown.

by Anonymousreply 66April 20, 2018 11:35 AM

I cannot afford to dress as well in my 60s as I could in my 20s and 30s.

by Anonymousreply 67April 20, 2018 12:00 PM

There is no such thing as "an inexpensive jacket or pair of pants (that) will look all right if they are tailored well", r46, because custom tailoring is quite expensive. Disproportionately so if we're talking about a $30 or $40 pair of trousers or a $100 jacket.

by Anonymousreply 68April 20, 2018 12:37 PM

Why Do So Many Gay Men Dress So Poorly?

for the same reason that all gay men are not hairdressers or decorators. everyone has their own gifts, gay or straight, but none of them have all the gifts.

by Anonymousreply 69April 20, 2018 12:41 PM

Teens in 1965. The girls’ look is dated for the most part, but the clothes worn by the guys, could easily be worn today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70April 20, 2018 1:03 PM

Simple, well cut and well made clothing always looks great. Navy, white Black and Khaki are all classic colors that can work for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 71April 20, 2018 1:30 PM

R34, you mean like Mariah Carey?

by Anonymousreply 72April 20, 2018 1:47 PM

[quote] "Trashy gays are the worst. I call them ‘garbage gays’. "

I like "rubbish gays".

by Anonymousreply 73April 20, 2018 5:38 PM

EVERYone here likes to bash Anderson lately but he dresses beautifully. He doesn’t even seem to have a lot of clothes - he wears the same suits over and over on CNN.

by Anonymousreply 74April 20, 2018 5:43 PM

I was in a Macy's yesterday, one of the upscale ones in a rich town.

All the men's clothes were either dull or trashy, and the women's section was full of twee pastels that would look too young on a 25-year-old. The mainstream offers nothing to the tasteful mature shopper, so I'm getting more and more tempted to become one of those old hippies who wear nothing but unbleached hemp. There's actually a few old hippies in my town who dress that way, they actually look semi-elegant, with their silver hair and ivory clothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75April 20, 2018 6:10 PM

Most fat queens in suits look like a younger version of Robert Morley in [italic]Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 76April 20, 2018 6:22 PM

R75, because the under 25 crowd is the current demographic Macy's is targeting. That was not always the case. Marketing is and always has been a moving target.

by Anonymousreply 77April 21, 2018 4:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!