Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dateline: 15th December, 1967...'Valley Of The Dolls' opens in New York City.

How long did it take for the gays to take it to their hearts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 26, 2020 12:54 AM

I hate that term "the gays".

by Anonymousreply 1October 31, 2015 12:43 PM

I'm sorry, should have written 'December 15th, 1967'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 31, 2015 12:44 PM

[quote]I hate that term "the gays".

I do too. I have idea why I wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 3October 31, 2015 12:50 PM

**NO idea why I wrote it.***

by Anonymousreply 4October 31, 2015 12:51 PM

The Valley of the Dolls actually premiered first with a 28-day Movie Premier Cruise - billed as the "World's Longest Movie Premiere," aboard the Princess Italia during it's maiden voyage - traveling from Venice Italy to Southern California. Members of the press reported on the six premieres for local media and dignitaries at stops on the voyage including The Canary Islands, Miami Florida, Nassau Bahamas, Kingston Jamaica, Columbia, through the Panama Canal to Acapulco Mexico before heading to Los Angeles.

Author Jacqueline Susann was so upset with the final picture directed by Mark Robson - she locked herself in her state room after the movie was first screened and refused to come out for the duration of the cruise.

Here's an interview on the cruise with Sharon Tate. She comes across as very genuine and sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 31, 2015 2:21 PM

Director Mark Robson not only created an unintentionally campy flop - he created some BAD karma for himself and the movie along the way. He hired Judy Garland to play the Helen Lawson role, then publicly fired her for being drunk - at a low point in Judy's life when she desperately needed this high-profile role. Patty Duke said decades later that Robson set Garland up to fail - and he'd probably planned the whole hiring and firing of Judy as a publicity stunt.

Knowing how much pressure Judy was under to do well in the role, Robson would require Judy to be on set before 8 am and keep her waiting all day without calling her to set, knowing the problems that would create for Judy, who was trying desperately to maintain her sobriety for the picture. Robson also belittled and disrespected Sharon Tate from the moment she walked onto the set - Tate's sister Patti wrote that, even as a child, she was shocked and hurt by the way Robson shouted and insulted Tate during Patti's visits to the sets during the filming of the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 31, 2015 2:36 PM

Helen Lawson had me at "Who the hellar you?"

by Anonymousreply 7October 31, 2015 2:39 PM

Website with photos and information about the cruise.

Good casual shots of Sharon Tate, Patty Duke and Tony Conti.

In the phone photo, Tony Conti looks to be showing an impressive bulge - mmm, VPL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 31, 2015 2:43 PM

Judy, being unguarded, down to earth, and pretty damn witty, during her Screen Test for V of the D.

May Mark Robson roast in Hollywood Hell for what he did to Judy toward the end of her life. she seems to be making a real effort here - I imagine Judy was thrilled about being cast in Valley of the Dolls - the conventional wisdom was that it would be one of the biggest pictures of the decade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 31, 2015 2:50 PM

A December Opening - that probably means that Robson and the producers wanted the movie to be eligible for Oscar consideration in 1967.

Oh the irony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 31, 2015 2:56 PM

Director Mark Robson

Is he still alive? Can we find him and beat him up?

by Anonymousreply 11October 31, 2015 3:18 PM

Irving Mansfield said he and Jackie walked to the theaters showing VD when Jackie was feeling down about the picture.

He said there were lines around the block to see the movie, filled with every hooker and pervert in NYC. Jackie laughed, "These are my people."

by Anonymousreply 12October 31, 2015 3:32 PM

Maybe I'm just a little too young, but I never took it to my heart. I know I saw it on VHS once, but it didn't really affect me one way or another. I was surprised to find it was such a big deal among "the gays" when I joined DL.

by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2015 3:53 PM

Kiddo at R13:

The reason we love it is that, as R9 alluded, it was built up to be the biggest, most controversial movie of its time -- "with every shock and sensation intact," as the trailer promised. The book it was based on, a blockbuster bestseller, was pretty raunchy for the day.

What we got instead was pure camp, mainly in the form of creaky, old-fashioned dialogue written by Hollywood vets who had no idea how to be hip and young. It was a huge hit, but it was also a huge critical misfire. It took decades for Patty Duke and Barbara Parkins to be able to get in on the joke -- both had thought they were going to be part of something huge and groundbreaking that would push them from TV popularity to movie superstardom.

by Anonymousreply 14October 31, 2015 4:24 PM

[quote]He said there were lines around the block to see the movie, filled with every hooker and pervert in NYC. Jackie laughed, "These are my people."

Even these little subplots and stories ABOUT the movie have some of the best camp lines in the world.

by Anonymousreply 15October 31, 2015 4:40 PM

I love Judy Garland but she was the queen of keeping everyone else waiting while she sat in her dressing room or refused to show up at all. Any shit she got hurled at her on a movie set in the 1960s was the same shit she threw around in the 1940s and 50s coming back around to bite her in the ass. In any case, Susan Hayward wouldn't take over the part unless they paid Judy her full salary.

by Anonymousreply 16October 31, 2015 4:44 PM

[quote]The Valley of the Dolls actually premiered first with a 28-day Movie Premier Cruise - billed as the "World's Longest Movie Premiere," aboard the Princess Italia during it's maiden voyage - traveling from Venice Italy to Southern California.

I've never in my life heard of a movie premiere taking place on a cruise ship.

I wonder if anyone ever wrote a book about the film with all these details and subplots.

by Anonymousreply 17October 31, 2015 4:52 PM

I actually love the term "the gays." It's something dudebro morons and cretinous homophobes say, so for gay men to use it just rubs their piggie snouts in how much we just DGAF.

by Anonymousreply 18October 31, 2015 5:12 PM

[quote]I actually love the term "the gays." It's something dudebro morons and cretinous homophobes say, so for gay men to use it just rubs their piggie snouts in how much we just DGAF.

How about HER gays & MY gays?

by Anonymousreply 19October 31, 2015 5:36 PM

Gorgeous photo of Patty at R10.

by Anonymousreply 20October 31, 2015 5:41 PM

The movie was boring and cheaply-made crap with no redeeming value whatever save it's connectia to Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 21October 31, 2015 5:54 PM

[quote]He hired Judy Garland to play the Helen Lawson role, then publicly fired her for being drunk - at a low point in Judy's life when she desperately needed this high-profile role. Patty Duke said decades later that Robson set Garland up to fail

Yes, he probably shoved the booze bottle and pills down her throat.

You Garland Queens need to step back from the shrine and realize she was a fucking mess by then. She made a lot of bad decisions; she didn't need help. She shat in wastepaper baskets. She passed out drunk, flashing her hairy pussy at cast and crew as she was unconscious and splayed out on a pool table on set. They HAD to fire the crazy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 22October 31, 2015 6:04 PM

I love that we're still talking about Valley of the Dolls. It's bigger than most movies that were actually big.

Love live Patty Duke!

by Anonymousreply 23October 31, 2015 6:12 PM

**Long live Patty Duke!

by Anonymousreply 24October 31, 2015 6:13 PM

[quote]Gorgeous photo of Patty at [R10].

That's from a VOGUE article about Neely in the film.

by Anonymousreply 25October 31, 2015 6:21 PM

Oh, that's right, R25 ... LOL

by Anonymousreply 26October 31, 2015 6:25 PM

[quote]I love Judy Garland but she was the queen of keeping everyone else waiting while she sat in her dressing room or refused to show up at all.

I thought that was [italic]me! [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 27October 31, 2015 6:28 PM

Barbara Parkins should have been a huge star.

by Anonymousreply 28October 31, 2015 6:39 PM

God bless, Judy, she kept the wardrobe from Valley of the Dolls when they fired her and she performed in it for years - the few years she had left anyway.

And God bless you, R22, should you ever go through what she went through.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 31, 2015 7:04 PM

OMG, in that R29 picture, Judy has the same wasting of her arms of legs looks that Whitney had before she died.

by Anonymousreply 30October 31, 2015 7:06 PM

[quote] Barbara Parkins should have been a huge star.

At least you're still alive.

by Anonymousreply 31October 31, 2015 7:12 PM

Oh yes, children are always a gift....pwwffft....who says, I'm not a great actress - I almost said that with a straight face.

by Anonymousreply 32October 31, 2015 7:26 PM

I used to hear about showings in gay bars. But sadly never had the experience.

I can imagine the collective reactions to lines like:-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 31, 2015 7:33 PM

This queen looks like he's going to have a seizure, so excited is he to be in the presence of Patty Duke singing Plant My Own Tree.

I love him so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 31, 2015 7:44 PM

The songs were HORRENDOUS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 31, 2015 7:45 PM

Judy's version was actually pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 31, 2015 7:54 PM

A friend and I had a bit of trouble purchasing tickets when it opened at the old Savoy Theatre in Boston, since we were just fifteen and considered too young to see it. After some pleading with the girl in the ticket booth, we were allowed in and reveled in it.

by Anonymousreply 37October 31, 2015 8:01 PM

R19 It was upon hearing Kathy Griffin use the term "my gays" that I began to dislike her. There was such a creepy patronizing icky subtext to that phrase, I just couldn't get past it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 31, 2015 8:09 PM

Hearing Judy's voice coming out of Susan Hayward's mouth is hilarious - it would've been a better movie if they'd left Judy's voice in the final cut of the movie.

But you know, Judy was so loved by the Gay community and in just about every movie role I can ever think of. I think Mark Robson manipulated Judy for publicity, but I wonder if Judy could've created the venom and the toughness that Helen Lawson needed. I mean, Judy was a mess, who couldn't even care for herself - could she have pulled that off?

by Anonymousreply 39October 31, 2015 8:10 PM

Yeah, Judy was too sweet a soul to portray a ball-buster like Helen.

by Anonymousreply 40October 31, 2015 8:14 PM

r22s photo is from September 1967 in Chicago and we were there in a front row!

She looked us right in the eye from the stage as we yelled song title requests up to her.

We had a 10 second walking conversatia with Judy as she was being hustled from stage door to limo after the show. She was very patient and kind to us as we were VERY young an obnoxious.

We noticed some elderly bulldykes also waiting at the stage door, btw

by Anonymousreply 41October 31, 2015 8:15 PM

Is Tony Conti still alive? I want to find him and give him a blow job.

by Anonymousreply 42October 31, 2015 8:24 PM

r29 photo

by Anonymousreply 43October 31, 2015 8:25 PM

So his real name.is Tony Scotti.

by Anonymousreply 44October 31, 2015 8:34 PM

THIS is what no older than 47 looks like????

Let this be a lesson to ALL of us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 31, 2015 8:35 PM

R32 Leave it to the pros, hon.

by Anonymousreply 46October 31, 2015 8:36 PM

she was 45, not 47, in that photo

There was once a time when everyone did not strive to look 18

by Anonymousreply 47October 31, 2015 8:40 PM

[quote]Judy, being unguarded, down to earth, and pretty damn witty, during her Screen Test for V of the D.

SCREEN TEST!?! Oh my, Miss Garland didn't screen test. That was a costume test. In the glorious days of Hollywood the costumer designer would have the star of the picture wear the designs on film to see how they would look under the lights, if they were flattering etc, before actually principal photography began. Screen test, please.

by Anonymousreply 48October 31, 2015 8:44 PM

[quote]Director Mark Robson not only created an unintentionally campy flop...

After "The Sound of Music", "Valley of the Dolls" was the highest grossing movie 20th Century Fox had released to that date. It was not a financial flop in any way.

by Anonymousreply 49October 31, 2015 9:33 PM

[quote]It was not a financial flop in any way.

Budget $5,000,000 (estimated)

Gross $44,432,255 (USA) $50,000,000 (Worldwide) ( January 1973)

Rentals $20,000,000 (USA)

by Anonymousreply 50October 31, 2015 9:36 PM

Easy, Mary, R48, not everyone remembers the old studio system...

by Anonymousreply 51October 31, 2015 9:38 PM

[quote]Easy, Mary, [R48], not everyone remembers the old studio system..

That's why he's explaining it.

Even today, I wonder whether top stars need to screen test.

It's always a big deal when a star on the wain is subjected to a screen test.

by Anonymousreply 52October 31, 2015 9:44 PM

A true star does not need to screen test!

by Anonymousreply 53October 31, 2015 10:41 PM

Judy being scheduled for an early call and then being kept waiting all day long to come to the set is what unraveled her. Of course she was bored shitless waiting around in her dressing room all day, and sent one of her entourage to go out and get some booze. We all know what happened next.

by Anonymousreply 54October 31, 2015 10:57 PM

Judy should have never been cast as Helen Lawson, she was not physically imposing enough, nor did she have the inner strength to terrify anyone. So yes, I fully believe Robson had no intention of using her.

by Anonymousreply 55October 31, 2015 11:11 PM

They wouldn't let me test, you know. Fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 56October 31, 2015 11:39 PM

Helen Lawson and VD - an eternal combination because she is a disease.

by Anonymousreply 57October 31, 2015 11:49 PM

Shut up, Neely. Have another doll.

by Anonymousreply 58October 31, 2015 11:50 PM

Funny how in the movie every non-addicted character blames the pill-poppers for "taking dolls," but there is no attempt to show how they got hooked, who provided them with the pills, and for what purpose. Neely bitches about how hot she is under the studio lights. Anne finds a bottle of Neely's pills and before we know it she's hit rock bottom, crawling along the beach like a crab. It's a comically shallow portrait of drug abuse.

by Anonymousreply 59November 1, 2015 12:14 AM

[quote]I hate that term "the gays".

What do you prefer, The Gay Community?

I hate the term 'The Gay Community'.

by Anonymousreply 60November 1, 2015 12:17 AM

That works out well, R60, the Gays hate you too.

by Anonymousreply 61November 1, 2015 1:03 AM

[quote] I hate that term "the gays". What do you prefer, The Gay Community?

I hate the term 'The Gay Community'.

You know how bitchy fags can be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 1, 2015 1:11 AM

You didn't need to post that link, Mary...just re-quote your own nasty little 'the Gays hate you too' message.

by Anonymousreply 63November 1, 2015 1:20 AM

[quote]A friend and I had a bit of trouble purchasing tickets when it opened at the old Savoy Theatre in Boston, since we were just fifteen and considered too young to see it. After some pleading with the girl in the ticket booth, we were allowed in and reveled in it.

Interesting. I was 15 in '67, too, and I definitely remember seeing in in the theater. This was before the ratings system, right? I don't recall any problem getting in, but in retrospect I'm surprised my parents let me see it.

by Anonymousreply 64November 1, 2015 1:27 AM

R59 takes the movie way too seriously. It's not a documentary on drug addiction. It's a cheap movie version of a tawdry best seller.

by Anonymousreply 65November 1, 2015 4:54 AM

The perils of pill addiction were a hot topic in the mid 60s when various forms of speed and valium and old-fashioned knockout drops were easily acquired. We laugh at our forbears a century ago for buying cocaine and opiates over the counter. A very similar wave swept through the nation in the fifties and sixties. It was part and parcel of the tawdry tale. The movie alluded to it, but only ineptly. They missed a real opportunity to dramatize pill culture. They never named drugs by names. VotD posed as an expose but they made it nearly as tame and toothless as the pharmaceutical industry could have wished.

The first of two main crimes of the film is that it eliminates the episode early on where Anne, Neely, and Jennifer are young roommates in the big city. That is the anchor that fixes their relationships to each other. We should have seen more of the friends young and hopeful together before success set them down the path to self-destruction. The second major flaw is that the story sprawls well over a decade but all the styles and fashions are set unchangingly in the mid-1960s.

by Anonymousreply 66November 1, 2015 5:11 AM

I love the R33 clip! I saw the movie for the first time a few years ago. I thought it dragged on way too long. It wasn't as campy as I had anticipated (ala Showgirls). When she was in that hot bathtub thing - all strapped in - I about lost it laughing, though. Her little head poking up through there - now THAT was hilarious. I never saw that again until American Horror Story: Asylum.

And another vote for hating the term "the gays". It totally blew up w/ kathy griffin I think. When Kyle Richards (Real Housewife of Beverly Hills) kept saying "my gays my gays" in an episode, she actually apologized on WWHL afterwords because Andy was like - we're not your pets, dear. She seemed pretty embarrassed. Joan Rivers used that term in her stand up too - but it was a little different. She went through each group (where are the mexicans? where are the blacks? where are the jews?) and insulted them or told them to get out. You can pull it off with that context...otherwise it's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 67November 1, 2015 5:15 AM

Dolls opened at The Criterion Theater on Broadway in Times Square and The Festival Theater on W57th street advertised as "continuous performances". The Criterion's first show was 10:00 am and the last show began at 1:15 am.

by Anonymousreply 68November 1, 2015 5:20 AM

"Take off my clothes!!???? What, and give you dykes s thrill""!!!!!??

by Anonymousreply 69November 1, 2015 8:07 AM

[quote]So his real name.is Tony Scotti.

Read Julia Phillips' book. He turned out to be a successful, scuzzy, record promoter. JP, a pill-head herself naturally loved VOTD, loved reminding Richard Dreyfuss what his first film credit was...

by Anonymousreply 70November 1, 2015 10:36 AM

"I'll Plant My Own Tree" is an absolute classic. I want it played at my funeral. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 71November 1, 2015 2:24 PM

[quote]The perils of pill addiction were a hot topic in the mid 60s when various forms of speed and valium and old-fashioned knockout drops were easily acquired.

The only drug I remember being thought of as addictive in the '60s and '70s was heroin.

by Anonymousreply 72November 1, 2015 2:29 PM

The trailer is a scream.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 1, 2015 2:40 PM

Sparkle, Neely, Sparkle!

by Anonymousreply 74November 1, 2015 2:56 PM

Stop airbrushing history to suit your privilege, OP. Everyone knows Trans of Color were the first to embrace Valley of the Dolls and they're not even MENTIONED in your post.

by Anonymousreply 75November 1, 2015 3:02 PM

What's fascinating is how quickly the movie was in production after the publication of the book.

I don't think things move so fast these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 1, 2015 3:18 PM

Not one, not two but THREE whites phones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77November 1, 2015 3:25 PM

***whites phones = white phones***

by Anonymousreply 78November 1, 2015 3:26 PM

In the right hands, VOTD (i.e., a faithful adaptation of the book) could make a great HBO miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 79November 1, 2015 3:27 PM

[quote]In the right hands, VOTD (i.e., a faithful adaptation of the book) could make a great HBO miniseries.

I agree....GET TO IT, baby!

by Anonymousreply 80November 1, 2015 3:30 PM

[quote]The trailer is a scream.

What defies imagination is the fact that it drew people to see this shocker.

by Anonymousreply 81November 1, 2015 3:34 PM

[quote]What defies imagination is the fact that it drew people to see this shocker.

I don't find that shocking at all. The trailer seems EXTREMELY salacious.

by Anonymousreply 82November 1, 2015 3:40 PM

A faithful adaptation of the book as a miniseries would be great. The book takes place over a 20-year period, from the mid-40s to the mid-60s. If they did that, it would be much better than what the movie did.

by Anonymousreply 83November 1, 2015 3:44 PM

[quote]loved reminding Richard Dreyfuss what his first film credit was...

I asked him if it was his first film and he said no, it was The Graduate which was released a week after "Valley Of The Dolls".

by Anonymousreply 84November 1, 2015 3:48 PM

Did Jacqueline Susann have any involvement in the script writing? Seems her involvement could've avoided any stilted, old-fashioned dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 85November 1, 2015 4:11 PM

Susann didn't write the script, or have any input.

by Anonymousreply 86November 1, 2015 4:12 PM

[quote]Susann

Bizarre spelling

by Anonymousreply 87November 1, 2015 6:20 PM

[quote]After "The Sound of Music", "Valley of the Dolls" was the highest grossing movie 20th Century Fox had released to that date. It was not a financial flop in any way.

And did they ever need the money after the bills added up on my picture.

by Anonymousreply 88November 1, 2015 6:35 PM

R88, I feel another thread coming on...

by Anonymousreply 89November 1, 2015 7:11 PM

If the Razzies existed back then, Valley would have won every category hands down.

I'm surprised that bitchy fags never did the respond to the dialogue thing with Valley Of The Dolls like fans of Rocky Horror did. Or did they.....

by Anonymousreply 90November 1, 2015 7:23 PM

"I Want To Live" is on TCM now.

Susan Hayworth working on her role for votd!

by Anonymousreply 91November 1, 2015 8:12 PM

Hayward.

by Anonymousreply 92November 1, 2015 8:13 PM

[quote]Susann didn't write the script, or have any input.

Which prompted her to exclaim at the premiere on the ship, "This movie is A PIECE OF SHIT!"

by Anonymousreply 93November 1, 2015 8:22 PM

As if having her name and input would have automatically made it a better film.

by Anonymousreply 94November 1, 2015 8:24 PM

[quote]The Ghost of Suzanne

Suzanne? Pleshette? Somers? Sugarbaker?

by Anonymousreply 95November 1, 2015 9:42 PM

[quote]Suzanne? Pleshette? Somers? Sugarbaker?

THIS Suzanne! OK?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 1, 2015 10:17 PM

Jacqueline Susann, I heard that she had a lesbian affair as a young actress with Ethel Mermen. The Helen Lawson character and plotline was based on Mermen, who had a young Betty Hutton's only song cut from the show when it got too much positive attention.

I'd like to know more about Susann - her life might make a more interesting movie. I mainly remember her appearances on The Merv Griffin Show when I was a child. She chain-smoked and told inside stories about Hollywood in a sedated way, that made her sound as if she'd taken too many Dolls. Merv, of course, played the fawning sycophant.

Susann seemed sort of tragic in those 1970s talk show appearances. She'd make statements like, "When I was younger and thought I was pretty enough to be an actress, someone told me to watch everyone carefully. I wasn't pretty enough to be an actress, but the watching everyone carefully helped me develop my skills as a writer." Merv would spend the next 20 minutes pretending to be shocked that she wasn't considered pretty enough to be an actress - she must've been in her 50s at the time. She was probably willing to tell a lot of really good Hollywood stories by then, but daytime TV was pretty restrictive in the 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 2, 2015 8:56 PM

You keep telling yourself that, R48. Lots of stars have had to screen test. Especially when they are washed-up alcoholics. And let's not forget that ageism was alive and well. I know the part was for a mid-aged female but you don't run the show when you're past your prime. In the 60s? Please. Women did not have any bragging or bargaining rights in the 60s. Not in movies or anywhere else. We had the vote and we could drink. That's about it. I still had to get coffee for men in an office situation in the 70s!! And I had to call men Mr. at an office. Yes in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 98November 2, 2015 10:48 PM

R97 She was smart enough to know she wasn't a great beauty and made the most of what she had, carefully using makeup, hairpieces and wigs, furs etc. to look as glamorous as possible. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 2, 2015 11:39 PM

She was always quite kind to me,

by Anonymousreply 100November 3, 2015 1:15 AM

Didn't Crawford have to screen test for "Mildred Pierce"?

by Anonymousreply 101November 3, 2015 1:30 AM

...and it saved her career.

by Anonymousreply 102November 3, 2015 7:17 AM

That is a good pic of Jackie Susann at R99. She wasn't pretty, but she had great style.

by Anonymousreply 103November 3, 2015 2:25 PM

Happier days...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 3, 2015 5:45 PM

Opened on December 15. They don't make Holiday releases the way they used to. Wouldn't it have been surreal if it opened at the Radio City Music Hall Christmas show?

The Rockettes all dressed as Neely with Santa hats high kicking to I'll Plant My Own Tree as a 50 foot Twinkly lit Spruce rose from the floor...

by Anonymousreply 105November 4, 2015 3:52 AM

r10 Love the hair Patty. Hope it wins.

by Anonymousreply 106January 18, 2016 7:29 PM

R97, they did make a film about Susann: Isn't She Great with Bette Midler and Nathan Lane. A big flop, deservedly so.

by Anonymousreply 107January 18, 2016 8:16 PM

Jackie Susann totally rocked that 60s look. Like others have said she wasn't a beauty, but she really knew how to put herself together and look 60s fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 18, 2016 8:24 PM

[quote]Like others have said she wasn't a beauty, but she really knew how to put herself together and look 60s fabulous.

Yes, they have said it...but why not say it again and post another photo!

by Anonymousreply 109January 18, 2016 8:26 PM

So good to their mothers!

by Anonymousreply 110January 18, 2016 8:31 PM

R107 Isn't She Great should NEVER have been made. Horrible script -- bad cast.

by Anonymousreply 111January 18, 2016 8:34 PM

If you go to YouTube to find Isn't She Great, someone from Uzerbeckibanistan "uploaded" it about 40 times, but if you select anyone one, you are told YouTube wouldn't allow him to upload it and he wants you to click on a link.

by Anonymousreply 112January 18, 2016 8:37 PM

Oh forget VOTD. THIS is the real camp classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 18, 2016 9:58 PM

r50, those are great numbers for 1967. Do you know what the worldwide total would be, adjusted for inflation? At least 200 million?

by Anonymousreply 114January 18, 2016 10:08 PM

If anyone should ever attempt another Jacqueline Susann movie I nominate DL fave Anne H to STAR!

by Anonymousreply 115January 21, 2016 10:29 PM

If we ever have a gay president, 12/15 will be designated as a national holiday, along with Judy Garland's birthday.

by Anonymousreply 116January 21, 2016 10:44 PM

I wonder if they showed "Valley of the Dolls" more than once during the 28 day (That's 4 WEEKS!) cruise. If they did, did anyone aboard go to see it more than once? Was mutiny afoot? So many questions...

The story of this cruise could make a good movie itself.

by Anonymousreply 117January 21, 2016 10:47 PM

Read "Lovely Me: The Life of Jacqueline Susann" by Barbara Seaman. It's an excellent bio and a great read. Jackie's life was a lot like one of her novels, and the book is full of hilarious quotes by Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 118January 21, 2016 10:59 PM

I prefer "Them Gays". It just sounds more pleasing to the ear.

by Anonymousreply 119January 21, 2016 11:25 PM

[quote]gays to take it to their hearts

Gays have hearts?

by Anonymousreply 120January 21, 2016 11:35 PM

Never seen this. Any good?

by Anonymousreply 121April 26, 2020 12:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!