Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Charlie Brown Deserve A Rock

My theory is, when something happens to you more than once or twice, IT'S YOU!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2020 5:42 PM

Seeing "Pumpkin" again made me fall asleep. The dialogue was so slow. Forty years ago I thought it was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2015 1:16 PM

OP, if your cancer comes back I suppose you'll have to announce it's "YOU."

by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2015 1:19 PM

R1, we can chalk that up due to the destruction of attention spans caused by the instant gratification, err, I mean digital, revolution.

by Anonymousreply 3October 30, 2015 1:32 PM

I remember reading an interview with Charles Schulz where he described Charlie Brown as kind of a weakling egomaniac, who basically asked for much of the shit he got... and deserved it.

At first I thought that was way too harsh, but the more I thought of it the more sense it made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 30, 2015 1:34 PM

Thats silly -- we all have dreams of being admired like Charlie Brown. That just shows what a cold fish Schulz was, that he'd have such a shitty opinion of his own beloved schlubby character. If CB is an egomaniac we all are, rendering the word meaningless

by Anonymousreply 5October 30, 2015 1:51 PM

All one has to do is look at A Charlie Brown Christmas, to see what a passive aggressive asshole CB was.

I recall one comic where CB asks Schroeder what he would do if he felt no one liked him. Schroder says he'd look at himself objectively and change was he felt need to be changed. CB says, "I hate that answer."

by Anonymousreply 6October 30, 2015 2:00 PM

CB was a mascochist - after awhile he becomes very tiresome. In the earliest strips, he is very different - more a smartass prankster like Dennis the Menace.

by Anonymousreply 7October 30, 2015 2:16 PM

He deserves a good fist

by Anonymousreply 8October 30, 2015 2:18 PM

He looks like he's got fetal alcohol syndrome. The facial characteristics work and he doesn't learn from past behaviour. He resembles a kid I went to elementary school with who ate paste (the mint kind). There was one in every class.

by Anonymousreply 9October 30, 2015 2:51 PM

Didn't they learn in real life, CS had many sadnesses in his life but his sense of alienation came not from being isolated by others, but from judging his life in terms of the appearance of others' lives?

by Anonymousreply 10October 30, 2015 3:00 PM

Schultz himself had a lot of problems with self-loathing which were portrayed in the autobiographical character Charlie Brown. It's a thin line between self-loathing and narcissism, both betray a preoccupation with the self. Schultz was nothing if not self-aware of his foibles.

The rampaging bitch Lucy was based on his first wife.

by Anonymousreply 11October 30, 2015 3:11 PM

He deserved a kick in the round apple head

by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2020 4:12 PM

He always reminded me of my dad (RIP). And “I got a rock” is a long-running family joke.

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2020 4:15 PM

But much of this was when Pet Rocks were a thing, so maybe it was something nice? My mom wouldn’t let us get Pet Rocks, she said it was ridiculous to pay money for something we could go out into the yard and get and put in a box.

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2020 4:19 PM

So in this day and age, which Peanuts characters would be on Chaturbate and what would they be doing on their channels?

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2020 4:22 PM

R15, Linus and Rerun would have a brother act.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2020 4:23 PM

I wouldn't mind if someone gave me THE Rock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2020 5:02 PM

Charlie Brown is a whimpering asshole; a metaphor of everything wrong with the world. I hated Peanuts when I was a little kid, and remain disgusted by it today. I can't wait for the day that they stop rerunning that insufferable crap.

by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2020 5:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!