Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Jeb Bush's COLLAPSE is COMPLETE" declares our favorite gay wunderkind Nate Silver

[quote]“You know, I think Jeb Bush is toast,” I told one of my editors after Wednesday night’s debate.“I kinda do too,” he replied. “I’m just worried because that’s what everyone else seems to think too.” Yes, we pride ourselves on being skeptical of the conventional wisdom here at FiveThirtyEight. You don’t have to look very far back for examples of it being wrong, such as how it badly overestimated the degree of danger that Hillary Clinton’s campaign was in until a week or two ago. But being skeptical is not the same thing as being a contrarian. There are plenty of times when the conventional wisdom is right. This is probably one of those times.

[quote]Bush received poor reviews for his debate performance from political commentators of all stripes (Republican, Democratic, partisan, nonpartisan, reporters, “data journalists”), many of whom also suggested that his campaign might soon be over. The straw poll1 we conducted among FiveThirtyEight writers and editors agreed; Bush’s average grade was a C-, putting him at the bottom of the 10-candidate group.

[quote]I agree with the group (I gave Bush a C-). Bush lost a probably ill-advised confrontation with Marco Rubio over Rubio’s absences from the Senate. Bush’s closing statement seemed stilted. He was the setup for a Chris Christie applause line about fantasy football. And for much of the debate, he was an afterthought, receiving the second-lowest amount of talk time among the candidates. None of these things, taken alone or even together, would ordinarily be all that damaging. Bush didn’t make a catastrophic mistake — an “oops” moment. But the media consensus seemed to be that the debate was a potential make-or-break moment for Bush. Even if you were to charitably round up Bush’s performance to a C+ or B-, it probably wasn’t good enough.

[quote]Why does the conventional wisdom matter so much for Bush? Two reasons. First, because (as we pointed out before the debate) Bush’s “fundamentals” aren’t all that strong. He entered the debate with middling favorability ratings and polling at about 7 percent nationally. His endorsements have all but dried up: just two since Labor Day and none in the past three weeks, according to our endorsement tracker. His third-quarter fundraising totals were mediocre. This wasn’t a case like that of Hillary Clinton, who even at her worst moments was polling at 45 percent and had the overwhelming support of the Democratic establishment. Bush had a lot of work to do to gain the lead in the first place.

[quote]The other reason the conventional wisdom matters for Bush is because Bush is running a conventional campaign. It’s not as though he has all that much grassroots support: Only 3 percent of his fundraising has come from small donors. Instead, Bush needs the support of Republican elites — and favorable media coverage — to signify to reluctant Republican voters that he’s a viable nominee. And he needs their financial backing to win a potential war of attrition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2020 7:49 PM

If the media told everyone that Jeb Bush won, everyone would believe that Jeb Bush won. "Jeb Bush was calm and cool headed, showing an unflappability that would be vital in a crisis, while Rubio played to the rafters and others blew mostly hot air."

But the media doesn't want Jeb to win, I guess.

I can't be bothered to watch these debates. It's already been decided who the candidate is going to be.

I'm taking a guess that it's going to be Mitt Romney. All the other candidates wil gradually fall apart as the GOP tells the media to go after each one of them over some leak . Then, when it's close to the election, they'll pull Mitt out of the top hat. Miitt Romney has decided to throw his hat in the ring!"

Then he will be a "fresh" candidate, because the media can't remember what it said last week, let alone three and a half years ago. This way, Mitt won't look like stale bread and will have minimal contact with the media before the elections.

by Anonymousreply 1October 29, 2015 3:38 PM

[quote]But the media doesn't want Jeb to win, I guess.

The media had been very pro-Bush, are you kidding me. They had basically anointed that it was going to be Bush vs Clinton. Bush came into this race as the darling of the wealthy and powerful elites who wanted to crown him as the nominee.

However he has SUCKED as a candidate and they all have egg on their face and are realizing how wrong they were.

by Anonymousreply 2October 29, 2015 3:41 PM

Exactly R2. The media was prying for Bush/Clinton Race. They already had their copy written and the hype machine locked and loaded. But then Trump happened, and instead of a consensus building around Jeb, you have 16 people all running against him. It sends a message that he gets no respect, no one is afraid of him, and he's a weak candidate. The other problem with Jeb, is he is obviously so accustomed to being a top guy, one of the elite, that he's not used to being challenged or attacked. WTF did he expect? No one is going to defer to him because he's a Bush, and yet you get a very real sense he feels entitled and is suprised when he's smacked down. He becomes very petulant. Last night, a reporter tried to talk to him after the debate and he got mean. So there it is. Go home Jeb. Just go.

by Anonymousreply 3October 29, 2015 3:53 PM

Jeb! is utterly and completely underwhelming.

A bowl of day-old, cold oatmeal.

by Anonymousreply 4October 29, 2015 3:54 PM

So who do we want up against Hillary? I thought for sure that Bush would be an easy take down v. Hillary

by Anonymousreply 5October 29, 2015 3:58 PM

R5 Bernie Sanders. And he'll win!!

by Anonymousreply 6October 29, 2015 4:10 PM

The help better watch their backs today!!

by Anonymousreply 7October 29, 2015 4:11 PM

"Jeb" - Loser on name alone.

by Anonymousreply 8October 29, 2015 4:40 PM

So, if Jeb! is history, does that mean that the only "electable" candidate the Republicans can come up with is Marco Rubio?

by Anonymousreply 9October 29, 2015 4:50 PM

Rubio v Clinton would be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 10October 29, 2015 5:05 PM

I really thought Scott Walker might get it. I'm surprised at how fast he crashed and burned.

by Anonymousreply 11October 29, 2015 5:07 PM

It more or less has to be Bush, right? The GOP isn't going to nominate a minority. It'll turn off the racist TP base.

by Anonymousreply 12October 29, 2015 5:09 PM

From what I've read, Bush has accumulated far more Wall Street money than any of the other candidates. And, until recently, the powers that be in the Republican Party assumed that he would be the party's nominee.

by Anonymousreply 13October 29, 2015 5:42 PM

Pretty much, R9, although there's A LOT of enthusiasm for Cruz. I could totally see Romney *IF* no one has a clear majority, AND polls show a clear majority of GOP voters favoring his entry. Didn't Ann already say she thinks he should try?

by Anonymousreply 14October 29, 2015 5:46 PM

If the power elite got behind Kasich instead of Bush, I could see Kasich getting the nom.

Rubio looks way too green. I know Obama was too, but Obama had something that Rubio doesn't have - the it factor.

Plus Mexicans hate Cubans. Cubans are stuck up snobs.

by Anonymousreply 15October 29, 2015 6:19 PM

Plus Rubio is Catholic Mormon Catholic Baptist. That won't play with conservative Christians who KNOW they're brand of Christianity is the right one. They'll see him as a wishy washy moral appeaser.

by Anonymousreply 16October 29, 2015 6:28 PM

Yeah both Kasich and Chris Christie are guys the establishment could get behind if it came to that. Silver makes the same point.

by Anonymousreply 17October 29, 2015 6:32 PM

Christie is dirty. Really dirty. The GOP would be insane to allow him to be the candidate.

by Anonymousreply 18October 29, 2015 7:37 PM

Romney? Oh brother, what has America come to?

by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2015 7:49 PM

I'm betting Canadian candidate Ted Cruz gets the nom.

by Anonymousreply 20October 29, 2015 7:54 PM

Trump is the only one who creates buzz and excitement. Why not just go with him, despite his many downsides? The others are non-entities.

by Anonymousreply 21October 29, 2015 7:58 PM

If we're going to have a Canadian candidate, it should be Jussie Trudeau.

by Anonymousreply 22October 29, 2015 7:58 PM

[quote]I'm taking a guess that it's going to be Mitt Romney. All the other candidates wil gradually fall apart as the GOP tells the media to go after each one of them over some leak . Then, when it's close to the election, they'll pull Mitt out of the top hat. Miitt Romney has decided to throw his hat in the ring!"

I was actually evaluating your post as though you had a clue what you were talking about. Until I read this sentence.

by Anonymousreply 23October 29, 2015 8:14 PM

Who knew George and Bar had TWO dunces loafing around the grounds?

by Anonymousreply 24October 30, 2015 6:14 AM

Nate also said that Trump was over ten times and had to correct himself repeatedly. He keeps fucking up by making outrageous predictions. NATE'S COLLAPSE IS COMPLETE.

by Anonymousreply 25October 30, 2015 7:00 AM

I actually believe Trump is a lot more liberal than he lets on. I think the Birther bullshit was mostly for attention. Yesm he is probably racust, and absolutely sexist, but I don't think he'd be an awful Preisdent. If he got elected I do believe he would try to do the right thing. Trump loves being loved. He would want to jeopardize that. So of all the lunatics running who could actually win I say Trump, although Kasich would be someone I would not mind too much. But Carson, Christie,Fiorina, Bush, Cruz, and Rubio turn my stomach. Rand Paul and Lindsey Graham are two more who might be decent as VP.

by Anonymousreply 26October 30, 2015 9:00 PM

Trump needs to improve his campaign and tone down the narcissistic need to be no. 1.

by Anonymousreply 27October 30, 2015 9:13 PM

[quote]Trump needs to improve his campaign and tone down the narcissistic need to be no. 1.

He is constitutionally incapable of doing that.

by Anonymousreply 28October 30, 2015 9:29 PM

Yes sadly that appears to be the truth. He lives up to his rap of being a bat shit crazy narcissistic. Pity, because he's not dumb and he has good instincts, and he brilliantly trolls people who need to be trolled.

by Anonymousreply 29October 30, 2015 9:37 PM

The thing is that Trump can be a jerk, but he's not beholden to his donors or the RNC, so he will probably actually put competent people in charge of things rather than the usual political hacks and advisers. And you can't say that about anyone else. I don't really want the special interests essentially drafting all our legislation anymore.

by Anonymousreply 30October 30, 2015 9:38 PM

R26, I think I mostly agree with you about Trump's being more liberal, and a better bet overall, than the others, but I'd say the same thing about Arnold Schwarzenegger's ideology, and he wasn't an effective governor. A moderate celebrity blowhard would be worse in the White House.

I myself am rooting for whoever will lose so big against the Democrat that they'll put social conservatism and supply-side economics out of the mainstream for a generation or two.

by Anonymousreply 31October 30, 2015 10:00 PM

He got lot o'money. Bush can stay around as long as he needs to get some traction

by Anonymousreply 32October 30, 2015 10:47 PM

Karl Rove is already pitching the "comback" narrative. The accepted "wisdom around the Bush supporters is that Jeb is everyone's second choice and once Karl Rove destroys or buys off his opponents, he will emerge as the only reasonable choice to make. I'm looking for Christie to drop out very soon, maybe even days. I also think Jindal will quit, and Huckabee is for sale. Right now, the long knives are out to destroy carson.

While you correctly say Trump is self funded and therefore owes nothing to anyone, I disagree. Trump is going to be cutting deals and spreading money around in the primary states. He has to. He has to promise something to people in all these states in order to succeed. In order to make deals, get endorsements, and win a few primaries he will owe favors to people. Delegates don't come cheap either. It isn't just cold hard cash it's the favors people do. Quid Pro Quo is alive and well in Trumpville.

by Anonymousreply 33October 30, 2015 11:08 PM

Pataki is doing nothing so he'll probably drop out soon. I think in the case of Pataki, Jindal and Christie, they're hoping Rove offers them $omething to leave town. Same with Miss Lindsey. That's why Huckabee is still standing. He & Carson are fighting forthe Evangelical vote. I don't understand why Rick Santorum is still running around.

by Anonymousreply 34October 30, 2015 11:10 PM

Trump has called all the shots so far and all the other candidates are stuck in a reactive position.

If this was prison, everyone of them would be running around naked except for a tee-shirt and koolaid lipstick.

They've been punked!

by Anonymousreply 35October 30, 2015 11:11 PM

The strategy should be to assure that the GOP nominates someone so outrageous that their own political pros turn against them and we get someone like Karl Rove actually sabotaging their own team because their noimnee is that bad. Could that ever happen?

If the GOP wanted to field a ticket that would really be competitive and stand a chance of actually winning, they ought to plan for a Kasich/Rubio ticket. But of course no one would want Rubio on his ticket as VP because you could never trust him. He's an ambitious little narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 36October 30, 2015 11:14 PM

r34 Santorum believes he's been transfigured into Carson.

by Anonymousreply 37October 30, 2015 11:19 PM

It will be Clinton v Rubio. Rubio will win.

by Anonymousreply 38October 31, 2015 12:54 AM

Why is Carson polling so high if he is a non-starter for GOP candidate?

by Anonymousreply 39October 31, 2015 1:13 AM

I doubt it'll be Romney. AFAIK, the only candidate to run again after losing a presidential election was Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 40October 31, 2015 1:32 AM

If Romney actually does get in, how long can he wait and be an effective candidate? At what point does he have to start raising money? Is he raising it now? Depending on the RNC to do all the fundraising for him? What about getting his name on the ballots as a primary candidate? Isn't that window about closed?

The only way I can see this happening is if the RNC does a backroom deal and nominates him on the convention floor, against the wishes of all the voters who voted for somebody else in the primary. Then you have a candidate that can't win an election, with no money, depending on large donors. What would Republican voters say to this, especially Teabaggers? I would think a lot of them would stay home, and sit on their wallets.

Looks like the nominee is Ben Carson, unless he crashes and burns towards the end. Then, who? Rubio? He's an ass, but they all are so I don't see what difference it is anyway.

by Anonymousreply 41October 31, 2015 1:33 AM

If the Republicans go with Carson, they lose the racist vote. They won't take that chance.

by Anonymousreply 42October 31, 2015 1:40 AM

[quote]Why is Carson polling so high if he is a non-starter for GOP candidate?

The media declares a new front-runner out of the pack for the express purpose of running him out of the race as soon as a new front-runner id declared. The rise of Carson only means it's time to wind down the Donald Trump Reality Show Campaign. Cruz will knock Carson off the pedestal and out of the race. Cruz will go down in turn, a process that will presumably repeat till none are left but the preselected Bush.

The lying propaganda artists used the media to play the same game in 2012. We all knew it would be Romney, so they waltzed everyone else around the dance floor once then whisked them out the door. As with Romney, the less people hear from and learn about Jeb! early on, the likelier they are to support him when nomination time is nigh.

by Anonymousreply 43October 31, 2015 5:40 AM

JEB IS A MESS!

JEB IS A WASTE!

JEB IS A BIG FAT DISGRACE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 22, 2020 7:23 PM

To his credit, it was Jeb! who said Trump’s would be a “chaos” presidency. He nailed that!

by Anonymousreply 45November 22, 2020 7:29 PM

Fucking 2015 bump troll can’t stay gone.

Fuck off (again), DeFecto.

by Anonymousreply 46November 22, 2020 7:38 PM

I thought he posted a tearful "Goodbye for now, DL" thread a while back?

by Anonymousreply 47November 22, 2020 7:47 PM

And now he's fallen so low, he's arguing with Room Rater:

[quote]Mr. Room Rater, is it possible now that the election is over to rate rooms on a non partisan basis? Are you a room rater or a hyper partisan person that is the problem? We need less hyper partisanship on backgrounds at this time for our country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 22, 2020 7:49 PM

"A while back" does not equal "now".

by Anonymousreply 49November 22, 2020 7:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!