Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why doesn't the squirrel in my backyard like me?

No matter how nice I am the squirrel that lives in my backyard hates me. I don't understand why. He has some nice trees to live in and I even put out the non-squirrel-proof style bird feeders. I also have a squirrel feeder which I fill with various types of food for it. Every morning I add food, (peanuts, hazelnuts, dried corn), and he sits up on the fence post waiting. As soon as I come near, he starts chattering at me like he's really mad. Then he scampers away and waits until I leave before he dines on the treats I left for him.

If I happen to walk out to my car, he does this rapid,high-pitched trill, as if I am disturbing him. I am very upset about this.

Please DL, I implore you to help me. Also, no nasty, snarky responses.

by Anonymousreply 193May 1, 2018 1:11 PM

Because you won't let him have your nuts.

by Anonymousreply 1October 29, 2015 8:07 AM

Peanut allergy

by Anonymousreply 2October 29, 2015 8:19 AM

OP, squirrels are wild animals, he or she is supposed to be afraid of humans. You sound like a sweetheart, just keep feeding the squirrel & don't the snub personally.

by Anonymousreply 3October 29, 2015 8:20 AM

You need to do some behavior modification with a .22.

by Anonymousreply 4October 29, 2015 8:24 AM

Mr. Squirrel is allergic to queers!

by Anonymousreply 5October 29, 2015 8:25 AM

He likes you, and he's staying away on purpose. He doesn't want to infect you with plague.

Oh, and he wants you to get your gun out of your car and shoot the goddamn pigeons, but you never take the hint.

by Anonymousreply 6October 29, 2015 8:29 AM

You mske him feel very small

by Anonymousreply 7October 29, 2015 9:01 AM

Not so fast r5. Squirrel hasn't stated its preferred gender. Typical.

by Anonymousreply 8October 29, 2015 9:05 AM

Squirrels. Death.

by Anonymousreply 9October 29, 2015 10:00 AM

The OP is an obvious troll. Wild animals are supposed to act like they don't like potential predators.

by Anonymousreply 10October 29, 2015 11:20 AM

Squirrel knows that you posted too many duplicate threads on the DL.

With his high pitched trill, he is warning the other squirrels that you are worse than Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 11October 29, 2015 11:28 AM

I had a squirrel stew once. It wasn't great but tasted different.

by Anonymousreply 12October 29, 2015 1:06 PM

Don't be jealous but we have a squirrel that comes on the porch and peeks in the window to let us know it's hungry. He(she) then runs next to me when I'm walking to put the peanuts on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 13October 29, 2015 1:19 PM

It's obvious that the squirrel is skeeved out by your untucked Natasha Fatale drag with the saggy nuts, dahling.

by Anonymousreply 14October 29, 2015 1:24 PM

[quote]Don't be jealous but we have a squirrel that comes on the porch and peeks in the window to let us know it's hungry.

Me too, when I was a kid. Drove my mom crazy.

OP, try making "clicking" noises at the squirrel the same way you would gee up a horse. It's always worked for me all over the country. They take interest and of course they want some food. Could your squirrel be so angry because it's nesting and thinks you're a threat to its babies?

by Anonymousreply 15October 29, 2015 1:48 PM

What does the squirrel say?

by Anonymousreply 16October 29, 2015 1:56 PM

The squirrel has set its boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 17October 29, 2015 3:16 PM

You need to add some of these to his food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 29, 2015 3:19 PM

Give it some time and slowly work on the little fella's trust.

by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2015 3:38 PM

PMBT, you're too nuts, even for me.

by Anonymousreply 20October 29, 2015 5:37 PM

My neighbor used to put out shelled nuts (i.e., shell removed) for the squirrels but she quickly found out that they won't touch them. Apparently they only like nuts still in the shell. Talk about boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 21October 29, 2015 6:09 PM

'The OP is an obvious troll'

You are an obvious newcomer. OP is very much a typical datalounger and no doubt entirely genuine in his squirrel related neurosis.

by Anonymousreply 22October 29, 2015 6:18 PM

[quote]Apparently they only like nuts still in the shell.

What's wrong with a squirrel wanting to open his own nuts?

by Anonymousreply 23October 29, 2015 6:20 PM

My father "trained" his "pet" squirrel to eat out of his hand. Squirrel's favourite food was peanut butter on a cracker.

I work near battery park and I am amazed at the fascination that the tourists have with the squirrels. They are quite tame and will eat out of your hand and they attract the tourists like crazy. Also, the pigeons are pretty tame, too. A few days ago, I was a pigeon land on someone's arm to eat.

by Anonymousreply 24October 29, 2015 6:25 PM

Perhaps you come across as too needy, OP. Even squirrels can spot a doormat personality a mile away. Play hard to get and only put nuts out randomly.

by Anonymousreply 25October 29, 2015 6:28 PM

OP should't get too close to it anyway, it's probably crawling with fleas and maybe ticks. Be Lyme Disease aware, OP.

by Anonymousreply 26October 29, 2015 6:28 PM

Squirrels - rats with fluffy tails.

by Anonymousreply 27October 29, 2015 6:28 PM

It's common knowledge that squirrels are very racist.

by Anonymousreply 28October 29, 2015 6:31 PM

[R24] In my distant youth I , as well, fed the squirrels peanut butter on saltines. They'd always scrape the peanut butter off with their teeth and toss the saltines. There was also a magpie (one of my favorite birds) that would eat grapes from my hand.

by Anonymousreply 29October 29, 2015 6:37 PM

You're so immature, OP. Here's how it's done. You write a note that says "Dear Squirrel, I like you. Do you like me? Please check yes or no on the box below." It helps if you have another squirrel friend to deliver the note (and probable a pen in this case) but if not just drop it on the squirrel's "desk."

You want the squirrel to like you why though?

by Anonymousreply 30October 29, 2015 7:05 PM

They ate my dad's crackers, R29, but he used Ritz.

by Anonymousreply 31October 29, 2015 7:12 PM

Look in the mirror, check you have nothing that Squirrels fear:

caftans

frosted tips

crocs

too much concealer

the following scents: Kouros, White Diamonds, desperation, Suave hairspray, day old Jungle Juice vapour

by Anonymousreply 32October 29, 2015 7:19 PM

This is the squirrel we've been feeding for the past few years. We named him Slappy. On hot days (like when this pic was taken) he splays out to eat his feast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 29, 2015 7:28 PM

r33 is what my wedding night is going to look like.

by Anonymousreply 34October 29, 2015 7:33 PM

Well R34, I hope you have a round fluffy tail

by Anonymousreply 35October 29, 2015 7:40 PM

The squirrel at R33 looks fat.

by Anonymousreply 36October 29, 2015 7:42 PM

He is, R36. Because of all of the peanuts we've fed him the past 3 years. Still, he's managed to survive dodging traffic and other things on a very busy street, whilst his progeny has not.

by Anonymousreply 37October 29, 2015 7:44 PM

R33 is presenting!

by Anonymousreply 38October 29, 2015 8:00 PM

Well I tried a different tactic this morning to see if the squirrel would have a better reaction to my presence. I got up a little earlier than usual and instead of putting the peanuts into the feeder right away, I stood quietly in the yard for a few moments.

Sure enough, the squirrel (whom I call Darryl) came and assumed his position on the fence and began to chatter at me. I talked softly to him and put the peanuts in the feeder. As soon as I made a move though, he raced away and scampered up the telephone pole where he proceeded to run back and forth along the telephone wires, chattering away and making that high-pitched trill.

I went back to the house and watched from the kitchen window as he ran down and collected his breakfast. I am finding that Darryl seems to be somewhat passive - aggressive but I still enjoy feeding the little guy.

Oh, one more thing. Darryl is a red squirrel. Do you think that red squirrels may be more neurotic than other squirrel species?

Thanks for the advice all!

by Anonymousreply 39October 29, 2015 8:54 PM

Well your first mistake is naming him Darryl. A red squirrel then the name should be Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 40October 29, 2015 8:58 PM

Are you THAT desperate for approval OP?

A squirrel?

by Anonymousreply 41October 29, 2015 9:00 PM

Did you have the wrong color handkerchief in your back pocket? Maybe the squirrel is into fisting and you didn't properly indicate that you are a total bottom.

by Anonymousreply 42October 29, 2015 9:12 PM

I visited a friend's grandparents after they retired to the country. My friend had her two young kids in the car. The grandparents had enough time on their hands to tame every squirrel and chipmunk in the area, to the point that the little buggers expect if from every human they see. When we arrived more than a dozen of them rushed us as we got out of the of the car and we had no idea what was happening until the grandmother came out to the porch and let us know.

The minute they heard Grandma they all ran to her, all happy, climbing all over her expecting treats. Then the grandad came out and they were all over him as well.

But that wasn't enough for the two kids. They were terrified, screaming, crying, begging to go home. I admit I enjoyed seeing them scared shitless. They'd been horrid brats during the trip. Their mother, my friend, had tried to put a bit of a scare into them, threatening to leave them outside if they didn't behave, with all the wild animals in the woods. The little brats laughed in her face.

They were pretty quiet on the way home but the car smelled of piss and shit.

by Anonymousreply 43October 29, 2015 9:20 PM

You're triggering me!

by Anonymousreply 44October 29, 2015 9:25 PM

r43 made up this story.

by Anonymousreply 45October 29, 2015 9:25 PM

R43 is the MTV version of a Hallmark Moment.

by Anonymousreply 46October 29, 2015 9:29 PM

Sounds like a real story to me @R43. Tree squirrels are highly territorial OP and, like the others have said, they have wild instincts since they are on the menu of predators like hawks and Mike Huckabee. He/she will become used to you but unlikely completely tame.

by Anonymousreply 47October 29, 2015 9:45 PM

Like most people, most squirrels are really stupid. I feed squirrels in my back yard, most of them find the food I put out, but they don't comprehend that it comes from me. It is just there like all the other food they find, most of them can't conceive of the idea of another being putting food out for them. Occasionally you will find that rare squirrel that manages to realize that you are there feeding them, I had one squirrel that would come right up next to me if I drop peanuts near my leg. He would grab the peanuts run up the privacy fence and eat the peanut and then come back for more. I never attempted to get it to eat out of my hand, because even smarter squirrels don't comprehend the difference between skin and peanuts and I didn't want to get bit.

by Anonymousreply 48October 29, 2015 10:06 PM

r39 Picture or it didn't happen

by Anonymousreply 49October 29, 2015 10:09 PM

Ungrateful squirrels are what BB guns were invented for.

by Anonymousreply 50October 29, 2015 10:14 PM

Red squirrel. They are European and that explains a lot.

Red squirrels are much more solitary than other squirrels, such as the North American gray squirrel. In fact the introduction of the gray squirrel to Europe is a direct threat to the red squirrel's survival as they can't compete for food with the more aggressive grays.

Red squirrels unlike others do not eat eggs and meat. They love hazelnuts and pine nuts but they cannot digest acorns.

by Anonymousreply 51October 29, 2015 10:14 PM

I prefer Japanese squirrels

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 29, 2015 10:20 PM

My squirrels are transparent.

by Anonymousreply 53October 29, 2015 10:24 PM

I once lived in an apartment of an old couple, they were french. The husband, Yves, had a stroke and spent a great deal of time sitting in the backyard. He patiently managed to coax a squirrel to eat out of his hand, it would perch on his knee and delicately take a peanut from him. He was sitting in the yard at a neighbor's home one day and spied the squirrel up on a telephone pole. It had followed him. He said to the neighbors "there's my squirrel". He made a kissing sound and the squirrel came down and ran right up to him and perched on his knee. That squirrel would only take nuts from him.

by Anonymousreply 54October 29, 2015 10:33 PM

Awwww

by Anonymousreply 55October 29, 2015 10:37 PM

He's just nut that into you.

by Anonymousreply 56October 29, 2015 10:46 PM

Canadian squirrel

by Anonymousreply 57October 29, 2015 10:51 PM

How do I tell this needy fag, that I'm just not that into him?

by Anonymousreply 58October 29, 2015 10:55 PM

Wait until his other brother Darryl shows up and you've got two of these neurotic little fuckers to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 59October 29, 2015 10:55 PM

Why feed them at all? Just appreciate them when you see them, if you like animal watching.

by Anonymousreply 60October 29, 2015 11:02 PM

I had a squirrel come in my shitty college apartment, though the broken screen, and left. I had no idea how my stuff was thrown around the apartment - though, I woke up with flea bites a couple days later. Finally, I realized it was a squirrel when he returned for more food & saw how he made the tiny gap in the screen work. Ever since then, no fank you on the squirrels.

What is happening in the R33 pic? Is there a mirror or something - the face looks weird.

by Anonymousreply 61October 29, 2015 11:14 PM

Just trap a raccoon and set it loose around your house. The squirrel will stick to you like glue then....if it survives.

by Anonymousreply 62October 29, 2015 11:31 PM

[quote]Please DL, I implore you to help me

I think you're right about needing help, OP.

I just don't think the DL is the right place.

by Anonymousreply 63October 30, 2015 12:02 AM

Op, just get a puppy. He will love you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 30, 2015 12:35 AM

The little red squirrels are the cutest. And in the woods, they are easier to tame than city squirrels

by Anonymousreply 65October 30, 2015 12:36 AM

The squirrel community is notorious for its homophobia, OP.

by Anonymousreply 66October 30, 2015 12:56 AM

He's got eyes of the brownest skies. As if they thought of rain

I hate to look into those eyes And see an ounce of pain

His hair reminds me of a warm safe place Where as a child I'd hide

And pray for the thunder And the rain To quietly pass me by

Oh, oh, oh Sweet squirrel o' mine

Oh, oh, oh, oh Sweet squirrel of mine

by Anonymousreply 67October 30, 2015 1:39 AM

Those Japanese squirrels at R52 really are pretty cute. I especially like the ones with the tufted ears.

by Anonymousreply 68October 30, 2015 1:51 AM

OP, perhaps his behavior is how squirrels express their excitement and appreciation? Maybe he's saying "Thank-you, OP, you are so hawt!"

I've been feeding Blue Jays since Winter and they are ungrateful cunts, and the biggest scaredy cats I have ever seen. Ditto for this fierce-looking Cardinal named Chauncey who is actually a powder-puff. When they are hungry, usually early morning or dusk but also cloudy days, (I think the clouds confuse them), they chirp chirp chirp away until I put peanuts on the exterior window sill. They do a grab-and-go. They must have a thousand peanuts saved somewhere. If I leave the window ajar, they are afraid to grab the peanuts. Now that it's cooler out, I'm going to do that more often and when they are hungry enough, they will get past their fear. Starlings love to sit on the outside window sill in mid-Winter when I leave the window ajar. I assume it's because the heat flows out and they like that, I'm guessing.

When I come to the window to replenish the peanuts the big birds flee in horror. I don't think they understand that their peanuts are coming from me as a charitable matter. I don't blame them, they only have these tiny little bird brains.

So, my point is, your squirrel only has a tiny little squirrel brain. He will never understand you! Feed him or not, but don't expect him to appreciate you. Just like a boy friend.

by Anonymousreply 69October 30, 2015 1:52 AM

In case his attitude gets the best of you, OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 30, 2015 1:59 AM

Nothing cuter than the black mohawk squirrels of Amsterdamn. You know the ones. Punk rock hair dos

by Anonymousreply 71October 30, 2015 2:27 AM

Tell him you're a close personal friend of the Simon Halls Squirrel. That should impress him.

by Anonymousreply 72October 30, 2015 2:40 AM

I can't decide without hearing from both sides.

by Anonymousreply 73October 30, 2015 2:59 AM

How's it going with the squirrel?

by Anonymousreply 74October 30, 2015 4:40 AM

Does he hiss?

by Anonymousreply 75October 30, 2015 5:19 AM

It doesn't like you because it senses your evil, controlling toxic personality and is fearful of it. Animals are aware of human emotions. They have the uncanny knack for sensing someone who is hostile to them and they flee in fear. It has obviously heard you screaming and yelling in your house, for the squirrel lives near your home. It hates you because it thinks you are an untrustworthy human who may do it harm! Stop being a screaming harpie in your home. Stop shouting accusations at people caused by your insecurity. Stop being a total asshole cunt. And for God's sake, when you're getting your ass fucked, stop being so loud about it. The animals are appalled by your mimicking the sound you heard of your mother getting fucked by your father: her moaning, her shouting, her sounding like she's being murdered when she got fucked. YOUR FATHER'S DICK WASN'T THAT BIG, mmmmmkay? Now get a life, get a J-O-B and quit worrying about wildlife.

by Anonymousreply 76October 30, 2015 6:07 AM

Wow, projection @r76. OP, Your squirrel is intimidated and confused because he's also a bottom, but he wants to be with you.

by Anonymousreply 77October 30, 2015 6:38 AM

Like Taylor Swift and Matt Gubler.

by Anonymousreply 78October 30, 2015 6:41 AM

Squirrels are very aware of territory. Even though you're bringing food, you can be perceived as a threat. That's where the warning chatter comes in. When you approach the squirrel, don't continuously look at it. Every so often, look away or shut your eyes. It's calming to the them because a predator wouldn't ever avert or close their eyes. It takes time and patience. Squirrels can be trusting with you one day and flighty the next.

by Anonymousreply 79October 30, 2015 7:19 AM

Red squirrels are much crazier and more high-strung than standard grey squirrels. Even though they're smaller, they will harass and confront the larger, more sociable grey squirrels. Grey squirrels will generally flee from the scene when a red squirrel arrives, because the red ones are just so mean and aggressive. Sorta like squirrels with a Napoleon complex.

Glad you clarified he was a red one so I could add my direct knowledge of this TRUE SCIENCE FACT.

(True, not snark.)

by Anonymousreply 80October 30, 2015 7:59 AM

Red squirrels are European and in the US, but numbers are dwindling in the US because of the gray ones taking over their territory. and they do not become tame. Gray squirrels are only in the US and you often see people feeding them in the park.

by Anonymousreply 81October 30, 2015 8:08 AM

I can nail him in the eye with one of my arrows if you want. I'm pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 82October 30, 2015 8:24 AM

It's an Evangelical squirrel, you fat poof!

by Anonymousreply 83October 30, 2015 8:29 AM

[quote]Why feed them at all? Just appreciate them when you see them, if you like animal watching.

You misunderstood the OP. The OP'er WANTS the squirrel to like him. The squirrels ARE EATING the food he sets out, but he wants that AND their love. Sorry squirrels are not into cross species things.

by Anonymousreply 84October 30, 2015 8:45 AM

r69

Once again you're doing it. This thread is about squirrels and you always have to take it over and make it about your blue jays or other substandard things. Please stay on topic.

by Anonymousreply 85October 30, 2015 8:46 AM

THE TOPIC IS SQUIRRELS!!

by Anonymousreply 86October 30, 2015 8:59 AM

Try a Gerbil, OP. They're FAAAAABULOUS!

by Anonymousreply 87October 30, 2015 9:03 AM

R85 has a tiny little bird brain.

by Anonymousreply 88October 30, 2015 12:45 PM

OP, you wrote in a long while back about your "backyard squirrel", didn't you? I remember now.

Do you also have a frontyard squirrel? How do you two get along? I'm wondering if there's a pattern.

by Anonymousreply 89October 30, 2015 12:49 PM

The "backyard squirrel" is something my Aunt Mary, a nurse, made me swear to God I would never do, when she figured out I was a gay boy.

by Anonymousreply 90October 30, 2015 1:01 PM

Is there a "Backdoor Squirrel"?

by Anonymousreply 91October 30, 2015 1:46 PM

Stop trying to tame wild animals. It's a dangerous world for them and their survival instincts keep them alive. Stop trying to interfere with and change the instincts that keep them alive.

by Anonymousreply 92October 30, 2015 4:30 PM

Dude, long before that squirrel becomes tame, some cat's gonna come along and eat him up. Enjoy nature.

by Anonymousreply 93October 30, 2015 4:46 PM

You'll get the rabies!

by Anonymousreply 94October 30, 2015 4:55 PM

Or squirrel AIDS

by Anonymousreply 95October 30, 2015 5:01 PM

Or goats! Freeloaders always tell the goats!

by Anonymousreply 96October 30, 2015 5:03 PM

You need to ventilate that squirrel's hide with a bazooka.

by Anonymousreply 97October 30, 2015 5:23 PM

OP, eventually the squirrels will appreciate you for who you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 30, 2015 9:01 PM

Hey OP, does your squirrel look like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 30, 2015 11:06 PM

This morning the squirrel sat up on the fence post scolding me. However, he waited there while I filled his feeder. Poor Darryl looked hungry to me. Anyway, by the time I reached my deck he was already down from the fence and down to the feeder.

My cat and I happily watched from the kitchen window as Darryl ran off with his morning treat and returned time and time again for more! Poor little guy, I hope that he builds up a good sized cache for the winter.

by Anonymousreply 100October 31, 2015 6:06 AM

r99, That squirrel's flames can be seen from space.

by Anonymousreply 101October 31, 2015 6:16 AM

Maybe it's a female squirrel.

Darryl is offensive to her. She is not a transgender squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 102October 31, 2015 6:53 AM

You are wrong, R102. She was a Gerbil born into a Squirrel's body and therefore should be allowed to use any tree to pee in.

by Anonymousreply 103October 31, 2015 7:17 AM

I shall ignore the recent ugliness.

OP, where do you live? You're in the US, right?

by Anonymousreply 104October 31, 2015 9:27 AM

[quote] R85: Once again you're doing it. This thread is about squirrels and you always have to take it over and make it about your blue jays or other substandard things. Please stay on topic.

I hope you are not saying that a blue jay is a "substandard" thing! They're very sensitive and now they're probably not going to eat all day. Thanks a lot, R85.

by Anonymousreply 105October 31, 2015 9:31 AM

Squirrels are such acrobats and cute and amusing. Thirty years ago I lived on a street where squirrels would run up to me and others who were going or coming home from work on the sidewalk in hopes of getting a walnut. I rarely had walnuts to give them but I would see a fellow apartment dweller or two on my street who fed the squirrels often enough for them to do this. My apt. was ground level and there was a squirrel who'd perch splayed with his 4 claws dug into the screen of the screen door in the kitchen who'd watch me wash the dishes until it got bored.

by Anonymousreply 106October 31, 2015 6:04 PM

R106 - 'until it got bored' 3 seconds?

by Anonymousreply 107October 31, 2015 6:07 PM

No not three seconds smartass. For at least a minute or two.

by Anonymousreply 108October 31, 2015 6:59 PM

Lucky you R106. I hope that the squirrel in my backyard will soon take food from my hand!

by Anonymousreply 109October 31, 2015 9:06 PM

OP, the key is to get the squirrel to understand that you don't mean it any harm.

You should periodically go out in your yard and just sit quietly, while talking to it and making chattering or kissing noises. Don't make any suden movements or loud noises, just be very quiet and peaceful. If you do see the squirrel, acknowledge him but don't stare and don't make any moves towards him.

Do this a couple of times a day, and he'll soon realise he can trust you not to attack him.

by Anonymousreply 110October 31, 2015 9:53 PM

SQUIRRELLY

by Anonymousreply 111October 31, 2015 10:01 PM

The TV news will say something like this: An Israeli was injured today in Israel and 7 Palestinians shot ." And then go right into a story about the poor injured Israeli complete with footage of the scene of the Israeli injury and interviews with 20 witnesses.

This is equal and balanced American news.

by Anonymousreply 112October 31, 2015 10:02 PM

Friends? I have sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 113November 1, 2015 2:31 AM

Was the Israeli a red squirrel R112? Because that would settle the context thing, at least fo me.

by Anonymousreply 114November 1, 2015 4:53 AM

Ohh how i laughed and laughed Op.

by Anonymousreply 115November 2, 2015 12:02 AM

I thought we established that it was a European squirrel?

by Anonymousreply 116November 2, 2015 12:08 AM

TO SERVE SQUIRRELS.

by Anonymousreply 117November 2, 2015 4:02 AM

Does Australia have squirrels? Have the Aussies weighed-in on this yet?

by Anonymousreply 118November 2, 2015 4:07 AM

So, is the squirrel Australian? American? Israeli? Canadian? Japanese-Canadian? Did the OP rip off the squirrel by charging too much for a used text-book? What program/major is the squirrel in?

by Anonymousreply 119November 2, 2015 4:21 AM

R119 is trying waaaay too hard

by Anonymousreply 120November 2, 2015 4:23 AM

I Can Haz Japanese Squirrel?

by Anonymousreply 121November 2, 2015 4:45 AM

R118 I am in Brisbane and no, we are squirrel free. I am desperate to meet one. I think we just have the fat possums and fruit bats.

by Anonymousreply 122November 2, 2015 4:51 AM

It's not you,OP, it's the cat. Daryl sees you and the cat looking at him through the window, and now he associates you with cats. Get rid of the cat if you want Daryl to love you. Cats and squirrels don't mix.

by Anonymousreply 123November 2, 2015 7:05 AM

Hello, Brisbane! I condol you for your lack in variety of adorable rodents. If it's any consolation, we have no drop bears in New England and I too am desparate to meet one. Southwest Australia is a exactly on the opposite side of the globe from me, so I can't imagine I will ever get the chance.

by Anonymousreply 124November 2, 2015 12:05 PM

r123 we have cats in the house and feed 2 ferals in the back yard. The squirrels are a little wary but if we put food down they come. The feral cats stare but otherwise ignore them. We have one squirrel that peeks in the window and our indoor cat just sits there, doesn't go crazy.

by Anonymousreply 125November 2, 2015 1:54 PM

Trouble uses to leave bloody squirrel tails at my backdoor.

Then she died from FHIV.

by Anonymousreply 126November 2, 2015 2:12 PM

Stop feeding the squirrel, which is a wild animal, and your problems will be solved. We have a lot of squirrels in suburbia for exactly this reason--easy food source. They can fend just fine on their own. And the chattering is just an alert that a human, benefactor or not (squirrels don't distinguish), is hanging around.

Where wildlife is concerned, I don't take it personally. Humans tend to be dicks to animals.

by Anonymousreply 127November 2, 2015 4:36 PM

R122 How about raccoons? Skunks?

by Anonymousreply 128November 2, 2015 5:16 PM

[quote]Poor Darryl looked hungry to me.

Pic or it isn't true.

[quote]OP, where do you live? You're in the US, right?

He said it was a red squirrel. They live in Europe and in North Asia.

[quote]Does Australia have squirrels?

Not properly, there once were some introduced populations but the Australian government has reportedly wiped them out. The squirrel glider, a nocturnal, gliding possum and other gliders/possums occupy the squirrel niche in Australia, while small kangaroos, occupy the "roadkill" equivalent of squirrels there.

by Anonymousreply 129November 2, 2015 6:18 PM

OP here and I live in the US. Both red and grey squirrels are common in my area.

by Anonymousreply 130November 2, 2015 6:48 PM

Red squirrels are widely distributed in North America.

by Anonymousreply 131November 2, 2015 6:56 PM

Those are AMERICAN Red Squirrels also known as fairydiddles. They are not the "real" red squirrels, found in North Asia and Europe.

by Anonymousreply 132November 2, 2015 7:02 PM

Sorry 132, I did not realize you are a European Wildlife Biologist.

by Anonymousreply 133November 2, 2015 7:03 PM

To the OP--I realize this a great headline for a thread, but if you really get upset about squirrels hating you, never go camping in grizzly country. If lesser mammals hate you, and plan their days around your schedule just to screw with you, do not tempt alpha carnivores.

Sometimes, it's best just to feed chickadees and other songbirds (which I do) and accept that the squirrels are here to fuck with you. (RED SQUIRRELS, BTW.)

by Anonymousreply 134November 2, 2015 7:09 PM

Look how cute. You're worse than Hitler if you don't feed these little guys through the winter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 2, 2015 7:14 PM

I have a black backyard squirrel. I thought he was a rat at first, but I've seen him a lot and no, he is indeed a squirrel. I assume he's just a different colored kind of gray squirrel. What do the squirrel experts say?

by Anonymousreply 136November 2, 2015 8:05 PM

I have a lot of those tree rats stealing from my feeders. I put a live trap out and so far I've relocated four last year and three this year. I still have a couple, but I at least thinned the heard.

by Anonymousreply 137November 2, 2015 8:07 PM

In my area, it's illegal to relocate them. I think you have to kill them, though it's probably illegal to trap them in the first place,

by Anonymousreply 138November 2, 2015 8:11 PM

R136--melanistic squirrels abound! Some are only black, some only white. Google it (melanism). Not a new species, just inbreeding at its finest.

by Anonymousreply 139November 2, 2015 8:15 PM

Japan's historic architecture being destroyed by North American garbage feeders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 2, 2015 8:22 PM

We have huge golden squirrels that enjoy flashing their balls.

by Anonymousreply 141November 3, 2015 12:03 AM

Mother always said, "A distant squirrel is the closest you'll ever get to love, no matter how hard you try, no matter how hard you pray, no matter how hard you scrub."

by Anonymousreply 142November 3, 2015 5:15 AM

[quote] We have huge golden squirrels that enjoy flashing their balls.

R141, don't you mean, flashing their nuts?

by Anonymousreply 143November 4, 2015 12:11 AM

R39 He's just not that in to you.

by Anonymousreply 144November 17, 2015 3:23 PM

Squirrels are often put off by truckers in wigs & heels

by Anonymousreply 145November 17, 2015 9:03 PM

OP, how are you getting along with your backyard squirrel?

by Anonymousreply 146January 4, 2016 4:20 PM

So OP imagine you are going about your day doing the normal things you do and along comes this giant a hundred times larger than you. What would your reaction be, go check out the giant or run and hide?

by Anonymousreply 147January 4, 2016 4:25 PM

OP, how are you getting on with your backyard squirrel? It's not a secret is it?

by Anonymousreply 148January 7, 2016 1:32 AM

Thank God this thread's been bumped. I'd been wondering if the squirrel enjoyed Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 149January 7, 2016 1:38 AM

"Hey squirrrrrul..."

by Anonymousreply 150January 7, 2016 1:42 AM

Is this thread just code for those creepy people who endlessly post about that British guy?

by Anonymousreply 151January 7, 2016 1:46 AM

Nothing has changed. Darryl still waits on the fence, scolding me with that rapid, high-pitched trill while I fill his feeder every morning. I have accepted the fact that he will never be tame enough to take food from my hand, but at least he still visits my yard!

by Anonymousreply 152January 7, 2016 2:01 AM

Squirrels are major homophobes!

by Anonymousreply 153January 7, 2016 2:05 AM

I think you should try to cultivate a relationship with your frontyard squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 154January 7, 2016 1:53 PM

Consider yourself lucky if that's all the squirrel does. On the campus of the college I attended, the squirrels were literally chasing people for food. It was a riot!

by Anonymousreply 155January 7, 2016 2:33 PM

I'd bet Darryl thinks you are stealing his food. The problem is you have a retarded squirrel. Get a relationship going with your frontyard squirrel, and Darryl might get jelious and come around.

by Anonymousreply 156January 7, 2016 3:40 PM

I'm glad we got the update about Darryl.

Back in fall I was anxious to see what happenend, and hoped for the best for you two. Alas...wasn't to be.

(Maybe Darryl reads DL and sees you aren't trustworthy because you gossip and divulge intimacies with strangers. Red flag, perhaps? Unfortunately, all signs point to you dying alone, unloved. Happy New Year, OP!)

by Anonymousreply 157January 7, 2016 4:05 PM

It sounds like this backyard squirrel is a lost cause. Never going to happen. Through no fault of your own. The best way to get over a squirrel, OP is to get under another one.

by Anonymousreply 158January 7, 2016 4:10 PM

R156, time to turn on SpellCheck.

by Anonymousreply 159January 7, 2016 9:53 PM

I'll just leave this here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160January 7, 2016 10:09 PM

No more of this Luke Evans squirrel shit. Don't even know who or what that is.

DL could dump that nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 161January 7, 2016 10:20 PM

Had a Southern Flying Squirrel when I was a kid. I loved that little guy. The softest fur you can imagine. He would sleep in my front pocket, which is how you tame them down. They are kept warm and enveloped by your scent and the beat of you heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 7, 2016 10:29 PM

Red squirrels are too flighty.

by Anonymousreply 163January 8, 2016 3:27 PM

We have sugar gliders in Australia. Much cooler.

by Anonymousreply 164January 8, 2016 8:19 PM

When I was maybe 8 to 10 years old, my twin and I were watching my Dad chase a mouse with a broom. The little guy climbed to the top of the curtains, ran along the top, then JUMPED and spread his limbs. Apparently he was a flying squirrel, not a mouse. He coasted right between my twin and I. That's all I remember. I'm sure we both screamed and ran.

by Anonymousreply 165January 8, 2016 8:28 PM

A mouse looks nothing like a squirrel.

by Anonymousreply 166January 8, 2016 8:53 PM

How are things going with your squirrel?

by Anonymousreply 167January 27, 2016 4:25 AM

OP, have you tried to make friends with your frontyard squirrel? Sometimes you just have to move on.

by Anonymousreply 168January 27, 2016 4:32 AM

Wait, is the OP John the PMT?

by Anonymousreply 169January 27, 2016 4:36 AM

I grew up in a small town where all of the squirrels were white, an albino variety. They had lived there for many years and were semi-tame, having lost much of their natural fear of humans. It was interesting because they would actually approach people for food.

When I was a kid, I was standing on the sidewalk in front of our house with a friend. A white squirrel ran up one side of me, over the top of my head, and down the other side. He probably thought he was being clever, and he was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 27, 2016 5:19 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171January 27, 2016 5:41 AM

OP should dress as a squirrel to gain Daryl's trust.

by Anonymousreply 172February 19, 2016 8:11 PM

Are you the one with the chattering cat? Maybe to him, you smell like your cat. If it's not that, he's just a little snob.

by Anonymousreply 173February 19, 2016 8:15 PM

The World is waved under your nose: What do you do?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174February 19, 2016 8:18 PM

R174 Wrong thread! Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 175February 19, 2016 8:19 PM

I think that the squirrel believes that OP is stealing food from the feeder, not filling it. He only has a tiny little squirrel brain, after all. It's a natural thing to think, as he gets food there.

OP, I wonder if you should let the feeder run dry between fillings? Maybe then Darryl will associate you with new food? I know my Blue Jays know that if they make a racket outside my window, food appears. They have me well trained.

by Anonymousreply 176February 19, 2016 8:19 PM

Funny, OP; I was about to ask you the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 177February 19, 2016 10:10 PM

How's it going with the squirrel?

by Anonymousreply 178June 3, 2016 6:57 AM

And how are your substandard Blue Jays, R176?

by Anonymousreply 179June 3, 2016 6:59 AM

Any updates on this?

by Anonymousreply 180June 3, 2016 8:59 AM

I need to know how it's going with the squirrel?

by Anonymousreply 181June 3, 2016 3:42 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 182September 5, 2016 9:08 PM

The cat ate him.

by Anonymousreply 183September 5, 2016 9:39 PM

I always feel bad for OP when I see this thread. But is implies he has a front yard squirrel,which is more than I have.

by Anonymousreply 184September 6, 2016 12:13 AM

I feel for anyone who has a squirrel who does not love him. Especially a backyard squirrel, among the most loving of all the neighborhood squirrels.

by Anonymousreply 185September 6, 2016 3:00 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 186February 22, 2017 6:23 AM

perhaps if you stopped grabbing at his nasty bits he'd like you

by Anonymousreply 187February 22, 2017 6:27 AM

Because nobody likes you.

by Anonymousreply 188February 22, 2017 8:25 AM

I have a squirrel who stares at me longingly through my living room window.

by Anonymousreply 189February 22, 2017 8:26 AM

Befriend a crow OP, they are smarter.

by Anonymousreply 190February 22, 2017 10:25 AM

bump for a hilarious, old-school thread

by Anonymousreply 191May 1, 2018 4:16 AM

What's the life expectancy of a squirrel? As this thread is nearly three years old, I sometimes wonder if Daryl is even still alive.

by Anonymousreply 192May 1, 2018 5:25 AM

Darryl's dead, R192.

by Anonymousreply 193May 1, 2018 1:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!