Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joe Namath?

I bet you did

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2020 11:17 AM

I'm sure he was once good looking, but I can't see it. All I can see is old, drunk, gross Joe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 22, 2020 4:11 AM

I don't get the appeal at all.

by Anonymousreply 2June 22, 2020 4:12 AM

Men weren't judged as severely on their looks back then.

He was actually quite homely (big nose, buck teeth, bug eyes, butt chin) but he was young, rich, successful, famous and single...so he was promoted as this hot guy, and there weren't any openly gay men in the media to tell the world otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 3June 22, 2020 4:32 AM

r2 Yet you decided it was worth bumping a five-year-old thread for.

by Anonymousreply 4June 22, 2020 9:41 PM

But he had great gams...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2020 9:45 PM

He wasn't promoted so much as a hot guy, he promoted HIMSELF as a swinger - a highly sought after (by women), hard drinking, insatiable and relentlessly promiscuous heterosexual. Football + women + booze = a straight man's ultimate fantasy.

I thought he was dumb, ugly and mushy, even thought he soft spoken when not talking about football. I mean, Namath was tolerable because he wasn't a swaggering pig off the field. At least as far as what the public saw.

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2020 9:54 PM

I just know that his Josephine was one for the ages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2020 9:59 PM

He looks ok in those Medicare supplement commercials.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2020 10:12 PM

[quote]he was promoted as this hot guy,

He promoted himself as one.

Never thought he was all that good looking either, but he could walk, talk and chew gum at the same time, and unlike most other football players, he could string a sentence or two together, so he got invited to lots of talk shows, telethons and the occasional Carol Burnett type variety show. Undoubtedly on those shows for the straight men. I mean, Cher could have Elton and Bette on and almost catch the set on fire with the flames but hey, look it's Joe, must be OK for me to watch this show!

He was a forerunner, if not the inventor, of athletes really becoming a brand/spokesperson after their career was over.

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2020 10:19 PM

He’s not getting the benefits he dee-zerved!

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2020 10:21 PM

That commercial amuses me because they run every word he says on a scroll next to him. Guess they figure his audience is all deaf, dumb old Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 11June 22, 2020 10:26 PM

The only deplorables are the people who constantly use that word.

by Anonymousreply 12June 22, 2020 10:28 PM

That commercial is ridiculous because it keeps talking about benefits available "in your area code." Who still has an area code that's tied into their location?

by Anonymousreply 13June 22, 2020 10:31 PM

He now has the face he DESERVES.

by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2020 10:35 PM

As a gayling in the 1960s, Joe's hairy chest did it for me.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2020 10:53 PM

R6, all my older brothers and my father admired his skill, winning the Super Bowl, and the women. "Broadway Joe" with his fur coat and his aw shucks demeanor made women go crazy for him and guys just loved him. Like Tom Brady in Boston, but Joe was at the epicenter of US media and his reputation is difficult to imagine. Remember when athletes were allowed to be boozers?

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2020 11:03 PM

Oh, He’s that football player from the Brady Bunch!

by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2020 12:50 AM

Fuck yourself, R12. No one, and I mean NO ONE, rang for you.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2020 12:55 AM

R9 see R6. Your thought is not original.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2020 1:07 AM

SMELL MISS R19!

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2020 1:10 AM

It's not my fault you cannot READ, oh stinky one R20.

by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2020 1:13 AM

Wasn't Gaylenhaal shopping his bio pic around Hollywood for years. Guess Jakey with itching to get into these..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2020 1:18 AM

R3 Lol - the way you describe him - "He was actually quite homely (big nose, buck teeth, bug eyes, butt chin)" made me question why I had such a crush on him back in the day. I recently watched a netflix special on him and noticed he had horrible posture.

by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2020 1:20 AM

Joe, in 1974.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2020 1:24 AM

Well, at least he didn't trans into an ugly woman like another athlete we could mention.

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2020 1:55 AM

What about other guys from that era? Jim Palmer, Roger Staubach, etc. Discuss!

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2020 1:57 AM

He has BDF.

by Anonymousreply 27June 23, 2020 2:04 AM

In the 70's in western PA, it seemed to me that every guy you'd meet had a 1 degree of separation story from him. He's still the hometown hero of Beaver Falls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 23, 2020 2:16 AM

Joe Namath = wears a wig since 1980

by Anonymousreply 29June 23, 2020 2:19 AM

[quote]He looks ok in those Medicare supplement commercials.

He looks like Bela Lugosi!

by Anonymousreply 30June 23, 2020 2:26 AM

Joe is from Beaver Falls, PA? That's where the Owens family lives on "Mr. Belvedere".

by Anonymousreply 31June 23, 2020 2:29 AM

R26 Jim Palmer was beautiful, both face and body. He probably sold more underwear than Marky Mark.

by Anonymousreply 32June 23, 2020 2:30 AM

There was something sweet and accessible about Namath that made him seem better looking than he actually was.

His agility and ability as a football player put him over the top.

by Anonymousreply 33June 23, 2020 2:43 AM

"He was a forerunner, if not the inventor, of athletes really becoming a brand/spokesperson after their career was over."

Um, no. Various big athletes during and after their careers pitched cigarettes, beer, razor, electronics, soft drinks, clothes long before Joe Namath. Namath picked up bigger bucks because of greater name recognition and because it was the 70s, but he was by no means an inventor or forerunner of anything. Mickey Mantle, for instance, was hawking commercial products his whole adult life, including this after retirement ad:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 23, 2020 11:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!