Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Melissa Harris-Perry: Don’t Say ‘Hard Worker,’ Because It’s Offensive to Slaves

MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry took offense to a guest’s use of the term ‘hard worker’ Saturday, arguing that it diminished the experiences of slaves.

“If there’s somebody who is a hard worker when he goes to Washington, it’s Paul Ryan,” argued conservative guest Alfonso Aguilar. Harris-Perry didn’t disagree but wasn’t a fan of his word choice.

“I just want to pause on one thing, because I don’t disagree with you that I actually think Mr Ryan is a great choice for this role,” she said. “But I want us to be super careful when we use the language ‘hard worker.’ Because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall, because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like.”

Harris Perry told Aguilar (who at this point looked hopelessly baffled) that “in the context of relative privilege, I just want to point out, that when you talk about work-life balance and being a hard worker, the moms who don’t have health care who are working, we don’t call them hard workers. We call them failures, people who are sucking off the system.”

“Really, y’all do!” she continued as Aguilar shook his head. “That’s really what you do!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180September 3, 2022 1:08 PM

Wow, I didn't realize that there were still slaves.

by Anonymousreply 1October 28, 2015 6:14 AM

Her bosses must be shaking their heads, unless they want to sell her as an idiot to get controversy.

by Anonymousreply 2October 28, 2015 6:16 AM

The 'new' MSNBC really blows.

by Anonymousreply 3October 28, 2015 6:26 AM

I find THIS offensive to slaves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 28, 2015 6:29 AM

No one should say anything - on TV they can have that video of the fireplace log on a continual loop and no lectures or debates at universities, just teddy bears and lollipops.

by Anonymousreply 5October 28, 2015 6:32 AM

I wish someone would tell this holier-than-thou schoolmarm off. on live TV. She is like the queen of the SJW movement.

by Anonymousreply 6October 28, 2015 6:47 AM

oh lord

by Anonymousreply 7October 28, 2015 7:03 AM

if it continues they will find father's day, mother's day, grand-parent's day, milkman, her, him, he and she all offensive.

by Anonymousreply 8October 28, 2015 7:04 AM

Can someone explain what SJW means?

by Anonymousreply 9October 28, 2015 7:05 AM

People actually watch that major bitch?! R5, no that isn't possible because there will be something about the log and the fire place to be considered racist! ENOUGH!!!! That stuipd guy in that video kowtows to that complete BS. He seems like a DLer.

by Anonymousreply 10October 28, 2015 7:09 AM

SJW = Social Justice Warrior. Think Meredith Talusan or Hex Drade, or for a non-trans version, Lena Dunham. Outrage junkies who, despite privileged, wealthy upbringings, present themselves as horribly oppressed because of their race/gender/sexual orientation or whatever.

Some conservatives might try to tar any liberal as a social justice warrior just as they used to dismiss things as politically correct, but it's not really meant for people like Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren. SJWs are mostly young, naive college students, the type who say "Check your privilege" and "It's not my job to educate you," along with the academics in Gender Studies who actually do educate them.

by Anonymousreply 11October 28, 2015 7:11 AM

So we're worried about offending dead people now?

by Anonymousreply 12October 28, 2015 7:43 AM

She looks and sounds like she's about to have a complete meltdown in that clip....the tears were THAT close.

She really is the face of the lunatic regressive Left.

And believe me...this divisive," saying hard worker is demeaning to blacks" trope she's trying to launch will NOT sit well with Latinos.

by Anonymousreply 13October 28, 2015 8:05 AM

Why are these people committed to destroying the Left?

by Anonymousreply 14October 28, 2015 8:14 AM

Another idiot at MSNBC. This isn't news.

by Anonymousreply 15October 28, 2015 9:09 AM

[quote] Why are these people committed to destroying the Left?

The "Left" self-destructed at least a decade ago when it adopted Islam as its fetish.

by Anonymousreply 16October 28, 2015 9:34 AM

Don't even pretend that you didn't get your job because of your color, Melissa.

by Anonymousreply 17October 28, 2015 9:35 AM

WTF happened to her anyway? When she was first subbing for Rachel Maddow, I liked her as a person and a thinker, even if her pundit or anchor skills were a bit uneven....

Now, this. What stupidity. How embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 18October 28, 2015 9:38 AM

Can we get an "Amen" for R16?

by Anonymousreply 19October 28, 2015 9:42 AM

No, because he's a moron, r19.

by Anonymousreply 20October 28, 2015 11:20 AM

Amen!

by Anonymousreply 21October 28, 2015 11:20 AM

Melissa Harris Perry is about as dark as Rachel Dolezal.

Classic light-skinned black trying to overcompensate.

by Anonymousreply 22October 28, 2015 11:38 AM

super careful, theehee

by Anonymousreply 23October 28, 2015 11:42 AM

She's right.

by Anonymousreply 24October 28, 2015 11:55 AM

You know what makes me gag, when a "artist" talking about their "installation" will say my "work." My "work."

by Anonymousreply 25October 28, 2015 11:59 AM

Her comments offend me, because my dad used to pick tobacco as a kid growing up, and that's what hard work looks like to me.

by Anonymousreply 26October 28, 2015 12:31 PM

This hag is the spokeswoman for stupidity. She's the left's version of Ann Coulter.

by Anonymousreply 27October 28, 2015 12:38 PM

She's the one that was berating rich people for not paying their fair share of taxes. Then got busted by the IRS for not paying her taxes for years.

by Anonymousreply 28October 28, 2015 12:38 PM

I hate this bitch.

by Anonymousreply 29October 28, 2015 12:43 PM

[quote]Because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall, because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like.

Please, this high yella probably looks at that photo and thinks to herself, "I'm glad my hair was never that nappy."

by Anonymousreply 30October 28, 2015 12:50 PM

I wonder whether she "dresses" to fly.

by Anonymousreply 31October 28, 2015 1:01 PM

Why does BSNBC keep these totally crazy nut cases on camera. Her bizarre views make no sense whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 32October 28, 2015 1:02 PM

I guess she doesn't consider coal miners hard workers either. Maybe because they are mostly white uneducated people living in Montana.

by Anonymousreply 33October 28, 2015 1:06 PM

"Why does BSNBC keep these totally crazy nut cases on camera. Her bizarre views make no sense whatsoever. "

Same reason HuffPo hires uneducated collegiate nutjobs to write articles. They unwillingly write clickbait. Look, there's a thread about Melissa Harris-Perry on Datalounge now. You and I both clicked on the link and watched the video. We're giving them hits. There's no humanity in journalism anymore, it's all marketing and PR. They need something to fill their 24 hour new cycle.

by Anonymousreply 34October 28, 2015 1:08 PM

Don't watch, and she won't have ratings, and she will get fired. Simple.

by Anonymousreply 35October 28, 2015 1:11 PM

I immediately turn the channel when Harris-Perry subs for Rachel.

I find her both her opinions illogical and her on air delivery of those views insipid.

by Anonymousreply 36October 28, 2015 1:14 PM

Let me start off by saying that I'm not defending her. From what I understand in the "punditry culture" the new thing is saying shit that gets buzz, no matter how insane it is.

by Anonymousreply 37October 28, 2015 1:16 PM

[quote]From what I understand in the "punditry culture" the new thing is saying shit that gets buzz, no matter how insane it is.

It just goes to show how unintelligent she is that she cannot articulate a smart, logical idea that gets buzz and must resort to batshittery to capture the attention of an audience.

It smacks of desperation, as well as ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 38October 28, 2015 1:57 PM

are we sure she's not transracial? the hair looks very suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 39October 28, 2015 2:46 PM

1. Harris-Perry didn't say that it was offensive to slaves. That wasn't her point. Slavery reminds her of what true hard work is. If that helps her to better appreciate the position that she is in or if that keeps her humble. I see no problem with it and perhaps others could benefit from viewing similar images.

2. She used the comment about Paul Ryan to point out the fact that many of the people in this country, who really should be praised for their hard work or for being "hard workers", are demonized or completely ignored. There is nothing crazy or stupid about that. There are millions of working poor Americans who are routinely disrespected, ridiculed and demonized for being poor. We as a nation continue to refuse to address poverty. Culturally we continue to celebrate and perpetuate classism.

3. Congress is in session 15 days in October. They were in session: 14 days in September, 1 day in August, 16 days in July, 17 days in June, 14 days in May, 13 days in April, 14 days in March, 15 days in February, and 15 days in January. They are each paid $174,000 a year, plus pension and benefits, for that schedule. Unlike most people who work, they don't have to actually accomplish a damn thing. Who else here gets paid 6 figures for potentially doing nothing.

[quote] I guess she doesn't consider coal miners hard workers either. Maybe because they are mostly white uneducated people living in Montana.

Again there are millions of working poor Americans. They work in many different industries and in many different capacities. I don't believe that a laundry list of those positions or capacities was really necessary to illustrate her point.

[quote] Don't even pretend that you didn't get your job because of your color, Melissa.

1. Yes because even though she has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest, a PhD from Duke and she taught a Princeton; she is still not qualified to be on television. Sean Hannity has a degree from where?

[quote] Outrage junkies who, despite privileged, wealthy upbringings, present themselves as horribly oppressed because of their race/gender/sexual orientation or whatever.

In other words the majority of the people posting here are SJW. "Outrage junkies" who are offended by whatever a liberal progressive may say or in this case may not say. They are wounded and oppressed by Harris-Perry's point of view.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 28, 2015 3:11 PM

I agree with her. Paul Ryan never worked hard a day in his life.

He waited until a food bank was closed and then dragged his family in there for a fake photo op, taking the already-cleaned serving equipment down and rinsing it in water, pretending they were cleaning up.

It IS insulting g to gate working people to call that asshole a hard worker, just line it's insulting to smart people to call him a smart guy. He's a lazy, stupid, clueless idiot conservative libertarian. You don't get stupider or more privileged than that.

by Anonymousreply 41October 28, 2015 3:35 PM

She did have a point. Op is taking what she said out of context. She mentioned the picture of slaves she had at her desk to remind her what hard work really looked like so it could be kept in perspective. Those lofts around Congress who work what days of of the year are not doing hard work.

She brought up how women that work in the home taking care of children are not called hard workers but people that are sucking off the system, getting a free ride. While Paul Ryan is a hard worker.

She is absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 42October 28, 2015 3:45 PM

R40-R42 someone alerted the SJWs

by Anonymousreply 43October 28, 2015 3:48 PM

Im sick of this OCD "SJW!" tard troll. She's worse than the "EST!" tard troll.

by Anonymousreply 44October 28, 2015 4:17 PM

The struggle between white-collar and blue-collar work: what is "hard work"? Is physical labor the only "hard work" there is? Or can office work be "hard work" too?

by Anonymousreply 45October 28, 2015 4:29 PM

[quote] Or can office work be "hard work" too?

Yes it can be and it often is. Does that change or diminish Harris-Perry's point. No.

by Anonymousreply 46October 28, 2015 4:58 PM

R40 What MHP said was "But I want us to be super careful when we use the language ‘hard worker.’ Because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall, because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like.”"

She wants us to be "super" careful when we use the term "hard worker".

Not just careful, but "super" careful.

She wants the term "hard worker" to fit HER idea of what a hard worker is. In other words, she wants to control speech.

And what is her idea of a "hard worker"? Folks (I can only imagine she means Blacks) "working in cotton fields" is what a "hard worker" looks like.

She's simply ridiculous.

And FYI the Oxford Dictionary definition of "hard working" is the following:

"(Of a person) tending to work with energy and commitment; diligent:"

But isn't that what the SJWs do? They take words and create their own definitions and expect everyone else to follow along.

by Anonymousreply 47October 28, 2015 4:58 PM

[quote]Yes because even though she has an undergraduate degree from Wake Forest, a PhD from Duke and she taught a Princeton; she is still not qualified to be on television. Sean Hannity has a degree from where?

Yes but if she had done all that while being white, would MSNBC have given her a show?

by Anonymousreply 48October 28, 2015 5:14 PM

She once went on air with tampons as earrings. Any of you who still watch MSNBC-Shit deserve to be stupid.

by Anonymousreply 49October 28, 2015 5:18 PM

Wow, lots of people on DL don't understand (or don't want to understand) what is happening in the clip.

Melitha obviously had it out for this white, conservative man. She was waiting for an opportunity to scold him for being a conservative and jumped on his choice of words. Even though the subject of conversation was the ability of Paul Ryan to serve as an effective Speaker, apropos of nothing, she injected the topic of slavery into the conversation. She's a lunatic.

Melitha Harrith Perry would have never behaved the same way if the person who used the words "hard working" was a woman or a non-white person.

by Anonymousreply 50October 28, 2015 5:28 PM

[quote]Melitha Harrith Perry would have never behaved the same way if the person who used the words "hard working" was a woman or a non-white person.

I haven't watched the clip but I kinda suspect that the guest, Alfonso Aguilar, is Latino.

by Anonymousreply 51October 28, 2015 5:57 PM

THIS JUST IN: Melissa Harris-Perry has informed viewers that she no longer wishes to be called by her Slave Name. Her new name is Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Queen of the Yoruba Peoples.

by Anonymousreply 52October 28, 2015 6:05 PM

[quote] And what is her idea of a "hard worker"? Folks (I can only imagine she means Blacks) "working in cotton fields" is what a "hard worker" looks like. She's simply ridiculous.

[quote] Melitha Harrith Perry would have never behaved the same way if the person who used the words "hard working" was a woman or a non-white person.

Uhh oh someone's "pulling the race card". Blah Blah biracial Melissa Harris-Perry hates whites.

[quote] Yes but if she had done all that while being white, would MSNBC have given her a show?

Is this joke? For what network does Dr. Maddow work?

by Anonymousreply 53October 28, 2015 6:09 PM

Unless, you're digging ditches or working a road crew. You are not working hard.

by Anonymousreply 54October 28, 2015 6:10 PM

Oddly, my immediate association with the term "hard worker" is a quote from my bf's oldest sister, who worked with some gay guys at the U of Illinois. She maintained that " one thing is for sure, those gays are hard workers", which I always have thought was kind of cute or quaint, if not altogether accurate.

by Anonymousreply 55October 28, 2015 6:15 PM

I absolutely LOATHE this woman, who exists solely to exploit liberal white guilt (in a dysfunctional symbiotic manner). Moreover, she appears to be one of those bi-racial individuals who ... asserts (for lack of a better term) her black identity, as though she's black-er than mono-racial African-Americans.

by Anonymousreply 56October 28, 2015 6:16 PM

What she was saying didn't really fit with the discussion but she just wanted to jam it in their anyway.

by Anonymousreply 57October 28, 2015 6:22 PM

oops THERE wanted to jam it in there

by Anonymousreply 58October 28, 2015 6:23 PM

[quote]Is this joke? For what network does Dr. Maddow work?

It was a joke. There are hundreds of thousands of people with credentials equal or superior to MHP who don't get their own TV shows. Perry's Ph D is less helpful to her TV career than some voice training would be. Her lisp is terribly distracting.

And unless Rachel is a physician, it is pretentious to call her Dr. Maddow.

by Anonymousreply 59October 28, 2015 6:33 PM

[quote] I absolutely LOATHE this woman, who exists solely to exploit liberal white guilt (in a dysfunctional symbiotic manner).

No one gives a fuck about your or anyone else's feelings of guilt. Do gays, who speak truthfully about the inequalities that exist in our society, exist solely to exploit heterosexual guilt? No of course not. They speak about inequality because it needs to change. Gays want to be treated equally. Other minorities want the exact same thing. Gays don't need heterosexuals to feel guilty or sorry. Gays aren't asking to be treated better than heterosexuals. they are asking to be treating equally. Racial minorities, women, and other just want to be treated equally. They want a level playing field. Everyone deserves to be treated equally, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. This is not about guilty feelings or special treatment. Why is that so difficult for some to understand. That white guilt nonsense is so so tired.

by Anonymousreply 60October 28, 2015 6:38 PM

[quote]You know what makes me gag, when a "artist" talking about their "installation" will say my "work." My "work."

Considering the artist has created the installation it really IS his work.

by Anonymousreply 61October 28, 2015 6:42 PM

Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 62October 28, 2015 6:43 PM

[quote]Considering the artist has created the installation it really IS his work.

If Melissa Harris-Perry is around don't you dare say the artist was a hard worker ...unless he or she also picked cotton.

Please be super careful.

by Anonymousreply 63October 28, 2015 6:48 PM

I just assumed she was some sort of SNL parody

by Anonymousreply 64October 28, 2015 6:49 PM

Actually a lot of artists with bigger projects and installations usually get other people to actually work on or make the thing.

by Anonymousreply 65October 28, 2015 6:50 PM

So exactly how should this perfect Equality World pipe dream be achieved R60?

by Anonymousreply 66October 28, 2015 6:53 PM

I used to really like Melissa Harris-Perry, but on closer inspection, she is a real crack pot.

by Anonymousreply 67October 28, 2015 7:00 PM

Doesn't this make a mockery of real racism R60 ? I don't feel obligated to defend every gay man who talks out their ass and harken any criticism of them to deeply entrenched homophobia. People will eventually stop taking you seriously.

by Anonymousreply 68October 28, 2015 7:09 PM

[quote] It was a joke. There are hundreds of thousands of people with credentials equal or superior to MHP who don't get their own TV shows. Perry's Ph D is less helpful to her TV career than some voice training would be. Her lisp is terribly distracting. And unless Rachel is a physician, it is pretentious to call her Dr. Maddow.

Yes there are many people who have equal or better credentials. There are also many people much less qualified than she is who have TV or radio shows. many of them aren't really qualified to talk about or do much of anything. How do they get those positions? Harris Perry studied English and political science. She is more than qualified for her position. She has the credentials and the personality to attract and retain viewers. Why wouldn't a network that bills itself as "The Place For Politics" hire her. Yes its pretentious to refer to her as Dr. Maddow and yes I wanted that statement to be pretentious. Maddow and Perry are two of the most well educated people on television.

by Anonymousreply 69October 28, 2015 7:15 PM

R69: that's what so ridiculous about the situation:

This drivel is being served up by 'one of the most educated people on television'

by Anonymousreply 70October 28, 2015 7:19 PM

[quote] So exactly how should this perfect Equality World pipe dream be achieved [R60]?

Nothing is ever perfect. Nothing will ever be perfect. Does that mean that minorities should accept inequality and 2nd class citizenship? If everyone had your attitude. Homosexuality would still be a crime and blacks would still be in slavery.

[quote] Doesn't this make a mockery of real racism [R60] ? I don't feel obligated to defend every gay man who talks out their ass and harken any criticism of them to deeply entrenched homophobia. People will eventually stop taking you seriously.

I believe her comment was more about classism but feel free to explain to us how this makes a mockery of "real racism" (as opposed to that fake racism so many experience).

by Anonymousreply 71October 28, 2015 7:30 PM

[quote]Actually a lot of artists with bigger projects and installations usually get other people to actually work on or make the thing.

Obviously. Jeff Koons and Damien Hirst have teams that do most of the physical creation. It doesn't mean that their pieces aren't thought to be their work.

by Anonymousreply 72October 28, 2015 7:42 PM

Can we think of them as frauds, then?

by Anonymousreply 73October 28, 2015 7:45 PM

She sees the picking of cotton only as an extension of slavery.

Working hard in the fields is part and parcel of farming, an activity billions of non-slaves have been performing for thousands of years.

by Anonymousreply 74October 28, 2015 7:47 PM

Because God knows the ONLY people who ever busted their backs working in fields were slaves. Those pioneers were just lazy fucks. Same with those chinese building railroads,or those irish building new York city. Lazy fucks all of them !

by Anonymousreply 75October 28, 2015 7:50 PM

MHP is a fraud.

She has JANET MOCK, who unapologetically refers to women as FISH, sub for her.

Plus, she was late in supporting the Trayvon Martin family.

by Anonymousreply 76October 28, 2015 7:51 PM

[quote]Can we think of them as frauds, then?

You mean artists like Koons and Hirst? Everyone who knows about the art world knows what the situation is. And it's not a new practice. Loads of great masters centuries ago had their own studios with other painters working for them doing some or most of the painting. It's a bit like currently with fashion houses where some or most of the clothes are designed by the in-house fashion designers but the credit goes to the main designer.

by Anonymousreply 77October 28, 2015 8:00 PM

Koons and Hirst aren't Great Masters, though.

by Anonymousreply 78October 28, 2015 8:03 PM

R78, they are superstars in the art world. No reason to deny that.

by Anonymousreply 79October 28, 2015 8:06 PM

It takes many people working together to put MHP's show on the air.

But we still refer to it as HER show, and we say it represents HER work, even though other people are working on it too and she couldn't do it without them.

by Anonymousreply 80October 28, 2015 8:08 PM

I got the cotton in with children, a darky AND a blind man.

by Anonymousreply 81October 28, 2015 8:10 PM

The hardest working person on that network is the poor hair stylist who must come up with a sillier do for her every week. Ske a;ways looks like a cheap rag doll.

by Anonymousreply 82October 28, 2015 8:11 PM

Hard Worker = Gets shit done without whining and complaining.

Applies to any job in any field.

by Anonymousreply 83October 28, 2015 8:24 PM

Women. Jesus... fucking rocket scientists.

by Anonymousreply 84October 28, 2015 8:27 PM

Melissa Harris-Perry -

At the intersection of stupidity, entitlement, cunt-stench and nappy-brained confusion.

Wait. That's not an intersection. That's a fucking roundabout.

And you can tell this krazy racist twat is PROUD of her smartses and rep-ree-zenting. Praise da Load!

by Anonymousreply 85October 28, 2015 8:29 PM

Damien Hirst - Biggest Art Joke Ever?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86October 28, 2015 8:29 PM

[quote]The "Left" self-destructed at least a decade ago when it adopted Islam as its fetish.

Didn't realize George W. Bush was a leftist.

by Anonymousreply 87October 28, 2015 8:30 PM

[quote]The "Left" self-destructed at least a decade ago when it adopted Islam as its fetish.

Didn't realize George W. Bush was a leftist.

by Anonymousreply 88October 28, 2015 8:30 PM

What didn't you realize?

by Anonymousreply 89October 28, 2015 8:59 PM

[quote] Melissa Harris-Perry - At the intersection of stupidity, entitlement, cunt-stench and nappy-brained confusion. Wait. That's not an intersection. That's a fucking roundabout. And you can tell this krazy racist twat is PROUD of her smartses and rep-ree-zenting. Praise da Load!

1. Speaking of hardworking people, haven't you met your expression of your irrational hatred of women quota this week? You must not over do it.

2. How fortunate we are to have you bravely fighting against "racism". While at the same time working as an advocate for mental illness, by serving as one of the poster children. Kudos to you my friend.

by Anonymousreply 90October 28, 2015 9:00 PM

Pickin cotton all day really ain't so bad, at night I get rewarded with Michael Fassbender's dick!

by Anonymousreply 91October 28, 2015 9:21 PM

R90, twat:

I do not hate women. The reasoned, if colorful, criticism of women - which of course you reflexively equate with rape and disemboweling - is not irrational. And you need to use a hyphen in "over-do" and a comma before "my friend" so as not to look like an illiterate, as well as a cant spouter.

Also, your attempts at what you think is cleverness do rather place you at a typical "intersection" of demographics. Do you pee a little when you repeat something you heard someone say, unaware of its imprecision and irrelevancy? Are you truly a sad combination of historically underrepresented victims, or are you just emulating them to give yourself some street cred, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 92October 28, 2015 9:35 PM

Notice how the SJWs and their diluted apers cannot see how absurd Harry-Perry's statement is? Or they don't care, because their innate racism must excuse such mouth-slobber because, after all, a black woman has to be interpreted differently than White Daddy is.

They are just out hunting for offenders, because of COURSE Missy gets to insult a guest (not my fault he was a Republican) while praising Ryan AND misunderstanding plain English AND claiming some link to slavery.

All Lives Matter. And bad thinking, humorless twat-ism can continue to set itself up for the DL's delight.

by Anonymousreply 93October 28, 2015 9:41 PM

I ignored R90 and suddenly the thread was tolerable again.

by Anonymousreply 94October 28, 2015 9:58 PM

[quote] All Lives Matter. And bad thinking, humorless twat-ism can continue to set itself up for the DL's delight.

Oh yes and we are indeed delighted by your thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 95October 28, 2015 9:59 PM

Well, then r94, you must be a misogynist. I think I'll block YOU now...thanks for the tip.

by Anonymousreply 96October 28, 2015 10:00 PM

[quote] I ignored [R90] and suddenly the thread was tolerable again.

Well I'm not ignoring you R94. Maybe eventually you will have everyone ignored and you can just enjoy reading your own thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 97October 28, 2015 10:05 PM

There's more posters on this thread than Mrs. Perry has viewers.

by Anonymousreply 98October 28, 2015 10:19 PM

Turns Out Melissa Harris-Perry Uses the Term ‘Hard Work’ All the Time

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 28, 2015 10:21 PM

She is the epitome of the over compensating biracial woman/man.

by Anonymousreply 100October 28, 2015 10:30 PM

Another poor, tragic mulatto.

by Anonymousreply 101October 28, 2015 10:39 PM

I'm getting sick of the black insanity flowing into everything, everywhere, she's a complete loon, every fiber.

by Anonymousreply 102October 28, 2015 10:53 PM

[quote] It IS insulting g to gate working people to call that asshole a hard worker, just line it's insulting to smart people to call him a smart guy. He's a lazy, stupid, clueless idiot conservative libertarian.

You're complaining about laziness, and yet you don't even bother to proofread what you've typed to see if it makes any sense.

by Anonymousreply 103October 29, 2015 1:26 AM

By 2030 there will be two words left in America that aren't racist or transphobic.

by Anonymousreply 104October 29, 2015 1:39 AM

[quote]What didn't you realize?

That George W. Bush is a leftist.

by Anonymousreply 105October 29, 2015 1:43 AM

That she thinks whiny and lazy Paul Ryan is worth anything other than being flushed down the toilet is a much bigger mark against her "character," i.e. she's an idiot. She should work hard and lick his ass.

by Anonymousreply 106October 29, 2015 2:22 AM

For all we know, that girl could be High Yellow!

by Anonymousreply 107October 29, 2015 3:16 AM

I don't get why they continue to give this woman a show. She's an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 108October 29, 2015 3:19 AM

Her lisp is triggering me

by Anonymousreply 109October 29, 2015 3:20 AM

Same channel that Al Sharpton is on. Who watches them? Whoopi probably does- these peeps are so racist.

by Anonymousreply 110October 29, 2015 3:24 AM

She had a point that got lost when she made an unnecessary allusion to slavery.

by Anonymousreply 111October 29, 2015 3:30 AM

I keep images in my home of the viking and Norman invasions so that I am regularly reminded of what my people have suffered. It's far too easy to forget otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 112October 29, 2015 5:25 AM

I don't get the MHP hate here. It's entirely unfounded.

by Anonymousreply 113October 29, 2015 5:47 AM

Thank you R11. I keep seeing SJW all of the time here and couldn't put it together. Much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 114October 29, 2015 6:08 AM

DL fave and hot daddy Mike Rowe calls her out on her bullshit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115November 2, 2015 9:07 PM

She started off great, but now I can see she is bizarre. She's like those people who live in the academia bubble. I doubt she's ever had to work at a job where there was a uniform, and no I don't mean a dress code, but a uniform. I imagine she doesn't know anyone who does. It sort of makes you bonkers to live and work in an academic totally observational environment, and those people seem to come up with all manner of nutty ideas.

by Anonymousreply 116November 2, 2015 9:54 PM

Yes, they are divorced from reality and invent nonsensical jargon to assert themselves.

by Anonymousreply 117November 2, 2015 10:05 PM

"Her voice annoys me."

by Anonymousreply 118November 2, 2015 10:17 PM

I thimply thaid that theriouth conthiderathun thould be obtherved when the thubject of hard work aritheth. Thurely, it ith worth conthidering the thubject of thlavery ath far ath how it contrathtth with the leth theriouth thubject of hard work. Thould we thimply conthede to thublime themanticth?

by Anonymousreply 119November 2, 2015 10:17 PM

[quote]Why are these people committed to destroying the Left?

She IS the Left. Now you know why the Left went and started voting Right.

by Anonymousreply 120November 2, 2015 10:27 PM

or stopped voting

by Anonymousreply 121November 2, 2015 10:32 PM

From Mike Rowe:

[quote] I, too, keep a picture on my wall.

[quote] That’s me, squatting next to the most disappointing toilet I’ve ever encountered, preparing to clean it out with a garden trowel. I keep it there to remind me of what happens when you need a plumber but can’t find one.

I always had him pegged for a scat freak.

by Anonymousreply 122November 2, 2015 10:32 PM

[quote] DL fave and hot daddy Mike Rowe calls her out on her bullshit.

he is a hot daddy, but he is by no means "a FL fave." (Where did you get that idea?) He's much disliked here for his homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 123November 2, 2015 10:34 PM

[quote] I don't get the MHP hate here. It's entirely unfounded.

If Donald Trump recognized or praised blue collar laborers and used a coal miner reference to make the same point. The critics here would praise as being a heroic all American patriotic man of the people.

Why critics hate Perry:

1. She's a woman.

2. She's black.

3. She's a liberal progressive intellectual.

4. She's smarter than they are.

[quote] Yes, they are divorced from reality and invent nonsensical jargon to assert themselves.

Sounds like "they" would fit in perfectly here at datalounge.

[quote] DL fave and hot daddy Mike Rowe calls her out on her bullshit

Is Rowe's perspective about blue collar work any different from Perry's. No it's not not. Why he is attempting to pick a fight with someone who shares the same respect and high regard for blue collar workers. I'm really not sure. Have all of his endorsement deals dried up?

by Anonymousreply 124November 2, 2015 10:40 PM

she doesn't seem intellectual in that clip

what she was saying did not really have to do with what was being discussed

by Anonymousreply 125November 2, 2015 10:47 PM

[quote]If Donald Trump recognized or praised blue collar laborers and used a coal miner reference to make the same point. The critics here would praise as being a heroic all American patriotic man of the people.

If Donald Trump claimed to keep a picture of coal miners in his office to remind himself of what real hard work looks like, no one would believe him for a minute. The bulk of the praise Donald Trump gets on DL is for making the race for the nomination more interesting in a comical way, and for making the more "serious" candidates look like buffoons. DL is Hillary Clinton country. Or should I say 'cuntery?'

by Anonymousreply 126November 2, 2015 10:48 PM

[quote] If Donald Trump claimed to keep a picture of coal miners in his office to remind himself of what real hard work looks like, no one would believe him for a minute. The bulk of the praise Donald Trump gets on DL is for making the race for the nomination more interesting in a comical way, and for making the more "serious" candidates look like buffoons. DL is Hillary Clinton country. Or should I say 'cuntery?'

The people here who criticize Perry are the same people who support Trump. Trump's supporters believe him to be an earnest hard working self made man who cares about the middle class and who is going to "Make America great again". He does have several supporters here. Trust me I have, on more than one occasion addressed them and their nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 127November 2, 2015 11:04 PM

[quote]The people here who criticize Perry are the same people who support Trump

Well, I can't thtand to lithen to MHP and I don't thupport Trump.

by Anonymousreply 128November 2, 2015 11:07 PM

R127 is a simpleton

by Anonymousreply 129November 2, 2015 11:08 PM

I had a white color office job where I litterally broke out in sweat from typing so fast. That was unusual though, but it was that high pressure. Then, after my boss coughed all over me for 2 months, I caught pneumonia. I was a week in the hospital and I think it was a month at home before returning to work. Then that fucker had the nerve to write in my review that I did great work "when I was in the office". That dick.

I guess I just wanted to mention it.

by Anonymousreply 130November 2, 2015 11:15 PM

You guys overuse the "SJW" thing so much here, but I agree with r6 that Melissa Harris Perry is the queen and leader of such a movement if there was one.

She is alright with me though, as long she continues to have cutie Dorian Warren sit in for her when she's on vacation. He is so handsome and he pings hugely!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 2, 2015 11:20 PM

[quote] R129 is a simpleton Trump supporter.

Fixed It For You.

by Anonymousreply 132November 2, 2015 11:25 PM

Hasn't this stupid cunt been fired yet? Speaking as a descendant of slaves AND slave owners, the latter being both white AND black.

Fucking uneducated heads-up-their-poontang women.

by Anonymousreply 133November 2, 2015 11:31 PM

R132: you think you are witty, but all you did there was prove my point.

You are incapable of complex thinking and nuance. You live in a world of extremes. Everything for you is black or white, good or evil, us or them...

There's a wide swath of people out there of many persuasions who find both Melissa and the Donald to be clowns who divide people by blowing lots of hot air.

A reasonable person knows you don't have to choose between these two fools. You don't have to like one to lack respect for the other. It's ok to reject both toxic cunts...

Please tell me you don't vote or handle any important responsibility...

by Anonymousreply 134November 2, 2015 11:34 PM

Actually, during slave times her high yellow behind would have been in the house not the field.

by Anonymousreply 135November 2, 2015 11:35 PM

"But I want uth to be thooper careful when we yooth the language "hard worker". There. I fixed it for you Melissa.

by Anonymousreply 136November 2, 2015 11:46 PM

"Scratch a liberal and a conservative bleeds." - Joe Orton

by Anonymousreply 137November 3, 2015 12:01 AM

[quote] you think you are witty, but all you did there was prove my point. You are incapable of complex thinking and nuance. You live in a world of extremes. Everything for you is black or white, good or evil, us or them... There's a wide swath of people out there of many persuasions who find both Melissa and the Donald to be clowns who divide people by blowing lots of hot air.A reasonable person knows you don't have to choose between these two fools. You don't have to like one to lack respect for the other. It's ok to reject both toxic cunts... Please tell me you don't vote or handle any important responsibility...

You made no point. Like a 10 yr old, you resorted to name calling. I jokingly responded in a manner that I felt would best accommodate your intelligence or lack thereof. I never said everything in this world is either black or white. Nor did I imply that everything in this world is black or white. I addressed only the datalounge world. Where things are often exactly as I described them. Of course there are exceptions. Of course there are "wide" swath's of people who believe any number of things. That being said. There are not many "complex" thinkers posting here. Most every thread here devolves into a wash list of negative gender and/or ethnicity based stereotypes.

There was noting toxic about Perry's comments. What is actually toxic here? People like you who feel the need to twist an innocent well intentioned comment, regarding classism, into the coming of the anti-Christ. A reasonable person does not do this.

by Anonymousreply 138November 3, 2015 12:30 AM

R138, a reasonable person recognizes that even a rich, well-connected, white, blue-eyed, right-handed, Christian, male politician can be a hard worker in spite of the fact that neither he nor his ancestors were ever slaves.

An even more reasonable person can acknowledge that forcing people to labor as slaves doesn't always make hard workers out of them.

by Anonymousreply 139November 3, 2015 12:34 AM

R138: you have graduated from simpleton to loon!

You absolutely implied that only trump supporters criticize MHP. That's clearly not true. Not even on the DL.

Her comment was toxic because it was shoehorned into a discussion where it had no relevance. It simply didn't belong. She only did it to try and stain someone she doesn't like and it made her look small. It was nothing but toxic partisanship that doubles as red meat to her young, naive, and inexperienced followers.

I'm sure that's why you ate it up and continue to lick the spoon...

The notion that I twisted her comments into anything other that out place in the conversation is made up on your part. To suggest I used it to label MHP into the antichrist is histrionic flailing on your part and a clear window into your tedious persona.

It did give me a good laugh though

by Anonymousreply 140November 3, 2015 12:39 AM

Melitha had a meltdown over the Harlem Shake meme videos. Apparently, it's entirely racist. She spent an hour lecturing her white cameraman (her only viewer) about why that is.

by Anonymousreply 141November 3, 2015 12:40 AM

r140, she's a race-baiter. We know that.

by Anonymousreply 142November 3, 2015 12:41 AM

[quote] a reasonable person recognizes that even a rich, well-connected, white, blue-eyed, right-handed, Christian, male politician can be a hard worker in spite of the fact that neither he nor his ancestors were ever slaves. An even more reasonable person can acknowledge that forcing people to labor as slaves doesn't always make hard workers out of them.

1. Perry did not say that only poor minorities work hard. That wasn't her point.

2. Do most people consider congressman a hard job, in comparison to what they do everyday. No, probably not. Judging by their approval ratings, definitely not.

3. What to most congressman consider the toughest part of their job. Probably the fundraising. Which takes up an inordinate amount of their time and technically is not an official duty.

4. Checkout the congressional schedule. Most weeks they work 4 days so that they can go home.

[quote] you have graduated from simpleton to loon!

Thanks for sharing more of your complex thinking.

[quote] You absolutely implied that only trump supporters criticize MHP. That's clearly not true. Not even on the DL.

That's not really my point. The people here who criticize Perry are the same kind of people who support Trump is really my point. So while it's obviously mostly Republicans. It's not only Republicans or only Trump supporters.

[quote] Her comment was toxic because it was shoehorned into a discussion where it had no relevance. It simply didn't belong.

It's not uncommon for people to switch gears in the middle of a thought or to incorporate a seemingly random thought. We don't know what she may be studying or working on that took her in that direction. Perhaps preparation for another show took her in that direction.

[quote] She only did it to try and stain someone she doesn't like and it made her look small. It was nothing but toxic partisanship that doubles as red meat to her young, naive, and inexperienced followers.

There are blue collar Republicans and Democrats of all races and both genders who work much harder than Mr. Ryan, for a fraction of the pay. Her comment is not partisan. It cuts across party lines, racial and gender divides. If she didn't like her guest; she wasn't obligated to have him on the show.

You sound really upset about all of this. You should probably calm down. Its not that serious.

by Anonymousreply 143November 3, 2015 1:45 AM

The bitch doesn't know what a "hard worker" is.

A "hard worker" is someone with a good work ethic on their own determinism.

A slave, by definition, is not a "hard worker", it's a "forced laborer". A slave certainly had a "hard life", but that's got nothing to do with the slave's work ethic.

by Anonymousreply 144November 3, 2015 1:53 AM

My Sea Org slaves don't work hard enough!

by Anonymousreply 145November 3, 2015 1:54 AM

Did she use the word slave or slavery?

by Anonymousreply 146November 3, 2015 2:00 AM

R143: you are too funny. You make up whatever you need to fit your canned agenda.

I told you your post made me laugh. That makes you conclude I am upset about all this and should calm down.

My next chuckle was at your suggestion that her comment was relevant because we don't know what her current project is that made her mind flicker to some silly no sequitur! You are a loyal soldier, indeed...

Keep them coming: you are almost as entertaining as reruns of Small Wonder.

by Anonymousreply 147November 3, 2015 2:05 AM

[quote] A slave, by definition, is not a "hard worker", it's a "forced laborer". A slave certainly had a "hard life", but that's got nothing to do with the slave's work ethic.

1. Thanks but anyone who clicked on the link knows what Mike Rowe had to say.

2. I realize that black people aren't allowed to talk about slavery. However, her main point was not about slavery.

3. Did many slave have work ethic options? Could they call in and take a sick day or personal time? Does someone standing over you with a whip afford you options to work or slack off.

by Anonymousreply 148November 3, 2015 2:08 AM

You can't make this shit up.

How is The Onion still in business when reality is this crazy?

by Anonymousreply 149November 3, 2015 2:13 AM

I went to school with MHP and let me tell you, if she isn't the very definition of "privileged," I don't know who is.

by Anonymousreply 150November 3, 2015 2:18 AM

[quote] you are too funny. You make up whatever you need to fit your canned agenda.

Certainly you know more about agendas than most. As you continue to drag yours around this thread.

[quote] I told you your post made me laugh. That makes you conclude I am upset about all this and should calm down. My next chuckle was at your suggestion that her comment was relevant because we don't know what her current project is that made her mind flicker to some silly no sequitur! You are a loyal soldier, indeed... Keep them coming: you are almost as entertaining as reruns of Small Wonder.

I find you, your manufactured outrage, your "complex" thoughts and your rather transparent agenda equally as entertaining.

[quote] I went to school with MHP and let me tell you, if she isn't the very definition of "privileged," I don't know who is.

Which is why she didn't say she keeps a picture of herself on her wall to remind her of what hard work is. She acknowledges her privilege as well as Ryan's. There are many people who have it much harder than they do.

by Anonymousreply 151November 3, 2015 2:27 AM

[quote]There are many people who have it much harder than they do.

Yes, and almost none of them are slaves which is why they find it so impossibly condescending of her to reach that far back to produce an example of hard-working poor people we should be concerned about.

by Anonymousreply 152November 3, 2015 2:32 AM

R151: unlike you, I don't try to hide my agenda. I'm glad it's transparent. I think this woman is silly and deserves ridicule. You seem invested in keeping her afloat which is just sad.

by Anonymousreply 153November 3, 2015 2:36 AM

There's nothing hidden about my support of her commentary. As I mentioned before. I believe that her comments were well intentioned and I agree with her actual point. Regardless of how awkwardly place it may have been. All of this manufactured outrage over a comment designed to uplift less fortunate people is silly and unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 154November 3, 2015 3:08 AM

R154: I think that's the problem. If I thought her comment was driven by a desire to 'uplift less fortunate people' I would applaud her. It just doesn't come off that way.

Instead, it seems as though she used the tragic legacy of American slavery to take a cheap shot at someone she doesn't respect politically.

If any outrage is manufactured here, it's that of MHP over the notion that anyone not on her approved list be described as 'hard working'

by Anonymousreply 155November 3, 2015 3:14 AM

According to MHP, no one receiving pay for work since 1865 can be called "hard-working" without insinuating great insult. This makes sense to tens of people in America.

by Anonymousreply 156November 3, 2015 5:30 AM

This is one supremely dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 157November 3, 2015 5:41 AM

I do find Melissa to be annoying as hell, but I also am glad that she has the platform she has, because I would be way ashamed to end up sounding like the right wing vermin that continue to encroach upon datalounge. So, I guess you could say I was conflicted.

by Anonymousreply 158November 5, 2015 3:12 AM

Qbump

by Anonymousreply 159February 28, 2016 4:37 AM

Girls girls stop. You're both pretty slaves.

by Anonymousreply 160February 28, 2016 4:41 AM

Melissa Harris-Perry has blasted MSNBC Executives In Scathing Staff Memo after the network repeatedly replaced her weeked morning show, Melissa-Harris Perry, with presidential campaign coverage—effectively leaving her without an outlet at the channel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161February 28, 2016 7:02 AM

Melissa Harris-Perry Is Probably Not Coming Back to MSNBC. After a very public spat with MSNBC over airtime, the television host Melissa Harris-Perry is probably not going to return to the network, or to her eponymous show.

Harris-Perry’s boycott was sparked by several instances in which MSNBC bumped her weekend morning show, Melissa-Harris Perry, replacing it with horserace election coverage. Harris-Perry walked off the show, which normally focuses on issues of social justice and racism. Now, CNN reports that Harris-Perry is unlikely to return to the network: Her MSNBC contract expires in October. Two sources agreed it is “highly unlikely” she will ever be back on the show.

Harris-Perry sent a scathing memo to the staff of her show earlier this week, saying “I do not have any intention of hosting this weekend.” She added that she was “only willing to return when that return happens under certain terms.” I will not be used as a tool for their purposes. I am not a token, mammy, or little brown bobble head. But if CNN’s sources are correct, that return may never come—at least, not to MSNBC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162February 28, 2016 7:05 AM

What a delusional freak she is. Al Sharpton lite.

by Anonymousreply 163February 28, 2016 9:50 AM

Why is it that biracial or multiracial blacks tend to be the most ardent and insufferable so-called justice warriors? Are they trying to overcompensate?

by Anonymousreply 164February 28, 2016 12:06 PM

Goombye, Melitha. You and your SJW crap begone!

by Anonymousreply 165February 28, 2016 12:46 PM

R165 Thee you on the theethaw, Thindy.

by Anonymousreply 166January 29, 2021 5:27 AM

OP’s post is the first thing that has made me crack up until my eyes teared all week.

by Anonymousreply 167January 29, 2021 5:30 AM

Slaves didn't have it as bad as I did. I had to take two busses and a subway to get to Julliard. Now give me another Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 168January 29, 2021 5:34 AM

I want to see Don Lemon take on Melissa Harris-Perry.

by Anonymousreply 169January 29, 2021 5:52 AM

no wonder she got fired from ev where.....weird bleached out face.

by Anonymousreply 170January 29, 2021 6:36 AM

R170 If she hadn't gotten fired, DL favorite Joy-Ann Reid probably wouldn't have a show.

by Anonymousreply 171January 29, 2021 7:03 AM

Is R166 the troll who bumped this thread?

by Anonymousreply 172January 29, 2021 7:07 AM

Well, hang on. There are still people doing stuff like fruit picking, dishwashing in hot restaurant kitchens, roofing during heatwaves, cleaning toilets in Covid hospitals, all for ridiculously small pay.

Does Harris-Perry go and cry respectfully at them at regular intervals, or do they not have the credentials to be hard workers? I bet the roofers in particular qualify as the Enemy.

by Anonymousreply 173January 29, 2021 7:55 AM

DeFacto, R172, as is always the case with bumped threads from 2015.

by Anonymousreply 174January 29, 2021 7:59 AM

And of course she has to use "folks" and "y'all". She is such a predictable SJW.

by Anonymousreply 175January 29, 2021 8:10 AM

Well, she's right. White-collar desk work comprising reading, writing, dictating, and filing isn't, comparatively speaking, "hard work."

It might be physically exhausting (sitting for hours) and even intellectually rigorous, but it is not "hard work" in the back-breaking, unsafe, debilitating, humiliating, and poorly-compensated sense.

by Anonymousreply 176January 29, 2021 8:30 AM

She fake as her hair.....pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 177January 29, 2021 8:33 AM

Uh, she's been off the air (thankfully) for nearly FIVE YEARS.

Blocking this thread. Why the fuck was it bumped? She's irrelevant and not worthy of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 178January 29, 2021 8:38 AM

I would have thought the "worker" part of 'hard worker' would have been a giveaway that it didn't apply to slaves, who weren't employees ?

by Anonymousreply 179January 29, 2021 9:00 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 180September 3, 2022 1:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!