Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How big was Queen in the U.S?

As in the British rock band, not Her Majesty.

How big were they? Was Freddie too flamboyant? Were they continuously compared to other Brit bands like the Rolling Stones?

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2020 12:46 AM

Who cares!

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2015 10:42 PM

They opened for Mott The Hoople when I was in college and no one had ever heard of them.

Freddy wore some white leotard get up and then said something like, "Here's one I know you'll know." And he tore into (I think) "Killer Queen."

Many people went to the restroom or to get a beer.

by Anonymousreply 2October 28, 2015 12:59 AM

They were pretty big in the 70s after "Bohemian Rhapsody." They peaked in 1980 with "The Game" album, thanks to the monster hit "Another One Bites the Dust." Their follow-up studio album (excluding the "Flash Gordon" soundtrack) tried to capitalize on the R&B flavor of AOBTD but failed and alienated their hard rock fans. They never really recovered their status until after Freddie died and "Bohemian Rhapsody" had a revival thanks to the "Wayne's World" movie. It's been in the last 15-20 years that Freddie Mercury and Queen has been elevated into legendary status.

by Anonymousreply 3October 28, 2015 4:17 AM

Thanks R2 and R3! I am a big fan myself and could never figure out, besides good ol' homophobia, why Queen didn't get as big in the US as their peers. Always thought they were simply too European and carnivalesque..

by Anonymousreply 4October 28, 2015 6:33 AM

I've always found them to be overrated.

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2020 12:10 AM

Bohemian Rhapsody was pretty big when it played in the US. And every high school, college and church team knew "We Are The Champions" (whether they knew it was a Queen song or not is another question).

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2020 12:23 AM

[quote]Were they continuously compared to other Brit bands like the Rolling Stones?

Queen wasn't compared to real rock bands. They were more compared to gimmick bands. They would have been compared to ABBA or The Village People.

by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2020 12:26 AM

[quote] How big was Queen in the U.S?

You live here, OP. You know their level of fame.

[quote] As in the British rock band, not Her Majesty.

Yes, we caught your double entendre early on.

[quote] How big were they?

Did you not already ask that in the OP question?

[quote] Was Freddie too flamboyant?

Well, now we know this thread's agenda.

[quote] Were they continuously compared to other Brit bands like the Rolling Stones?

You live here and danced to their music at the discotheque. You already know the answer.

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2020 12:32 AM

Freddie Mercury is hands down the best rock singer ever and Queen had some of the best anthems and melodies.

Back then, I was an intense Quadrophenia fan at the midnight movies and loved Who's Next (whoa! Pissing on the cement pillar!) Tommy was annoying except for some stellar songs. Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey became egregious assholes. Mick Jagger never pretended not to be one.

But nothing, nobody compares to Freddy Mercury and his voice. It's a "close to God" experience."

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2020 12:34 AM

Well, they weren't the Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2020 12:38 AM

But seriously, they had some success in the US, but never as big as they were in the UK and Europe.

And yes, the overt queeniness (no pun intended) and homophobia probably did play a part in it.

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2020 12:40 AM

[quote] And yes, the overt queeniness (no pun intended) and homophobia probably did play a part in it.

It only took 11 posts in to start with the homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2020 12:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!