Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rejected James Bond themes

Should any of these have been used?

I didn't know Johnny Cash submitted a theme for Thunderball. And got rejected! The balls on those Broccolis!

Blondie's version of For Your Eyes Only is pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 4, 2020 4:05 PM

And it's crazy that they turned down Shirley Bassey for Quantum of Solace!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2015 4:18 PM

Interesting, OP. I agree, the Blondie one is pretty good!

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2020 10:27 PM

Radiohead's magnificent song for SPECTRE really owns this thread. I didn't hate the Sam Smith song as much as others did, but the Bond producers really missed an opportunity here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2020 10:38 PM

I would have never have imagined Elvis or Johnny Cash singing a Bond theme.

by Anonymousreply 4September 4, 2020 4:45 AM

What is all this "submitted and rejected" business? In the Bond golden age, John Barry wrote the score AND the title song. Singers "auditioned," not songwriters.

by Anonymousreply 5September 4, 2020 4:50 AM

Miss Julie Rogers (pre top school for models).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2020 4:51 AM

Thanks R1, I've been playing that for a few days now. Someone commented on Youtube that they were glad the Bassey wasn't chosen because they that would make them think they were going to see a good movie.

by Anonymousreply 7September 4, 2020 4:51 AM

Not rejected, but alternate artist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 4, 2020 4:53 AM

But would Johnny Cash pass out in the recording booth hitting a high note?

by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2020 4:54 AM

Phyllis Hyman -Never Say Never Again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2020 4:54 AM

The Johnny Cash theme for Thunderball is a much better song but it's not a theme. It gives away too much of the plot.

There is a cd collection of rejected/alternate Bond themes I downloaded several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2020 5:01 AM

R10 Phyllis was amazing in that version. It's really absurd that they didn't go with her and instead went with someone who could barely sing. All because of the ego of the composer on the project

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2020 5:02 AM

That "Mr. Kiss-Kiss-Bang-Bang" song (recorded by Shirley Bassey and Dionne Warwick) is just... bad.

Like, bordering on old SCTV skit parody. Lola Heatherton should have performed it on one of her "Valentine's Day Luv-In" specials.

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2020 5:02 AM

[quote]Interesting, OP. I agree, the Blondie one is pretty good!

I was about to say how AWFUL it was and how weak her voice. The worst of all of them.

by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2020 5:03 AM

R12 Bonnie Tyler apparently rejected the chosen song

by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2020 5:08 AM

Damn R3, you are right, and thanks! I listened to the others and just couldn’t hear any of them replace the songs eventually chosen for each film. And while I think Sam Smith’s song was just fine for Spectre, Radiohead’s submission isn’t “too dark,” it’s perfect. Good on them for putting it out nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 16September 4, 2020 5:09 AM

Alice Cooper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 4, 2020 5:11 AM

I really loved Clay Aiken's version of Skyfall. Why did they reject it?

by Anonymousreply 18September 4, 2020 5:12 AM

Probably because he sang it on all fours, R18....

by Anonymousreply 19September 4, 2020 5:46 AM

^ LOL!

by Anonymousreply 20September 4, 2020 4:03 PM

I can understand why they turned down Alice Cooper's song, but then I don't understand why they commissioned it in the first place. Kind of like hiring Prince to do the 1989 "Batman" soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 21September 4, 2020 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!