Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Odd personalities

Today I was talking to my father, and he revealed to me that my mom once told him that if he succeeds, what will she get out of it? I always had suspicions that my mom didn't want my father to succeed but today what he said cemented the idea. How horrible. Because somehow she doesn't get any glory from something, she wants to destroy it. one would think that in a relationship, you would want your partner to succeed.

I also got the feeling that she doesn't want me to succeed either, but to lesser extent because I am her flesh and blood and plus it would look bad if her son was unsuccessful, so she is unhappy when I succeed but even more unhappy if I fail because that would mean trouble and also a blow to her reputation because she can't brag to her friends, the fact that I made it through nursing school, and none of her coworkers' children have is now currently bragging material for her. Although, how that could possibly be something to be proud of, I'm not sure considering that THOUSANDS of nurses graduate each year.

Isn't that the most peculiar personality ever to feel unhappy when the closest people around you succeed?

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2020 8:14 PM

Get off the cross, we need the wood

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2015 2:44 PM

This is the same mother from another thread who dares to run the dryer at hours you are forbidden to do so, right?

You're beginning to sound like Norman Bates.

by Anonymousreply 2October 27, 2015 2:51 PM

It's entirely easy to end up with cunts in one's family. It's equally easy to understand that, make adjustments, and move on without being too bothered. Curious from a psychological standpoint, yes, but that requires a step or two away and an understanding that you are unlikely to change things so there's no point in getting too wrapped up in other people's problems.

As your mother might say of your father's success, "What's in it for you?" to worry over a rather mean-spirited woman with seriously misplaced priorities.

by Anonymousreply 3October 27, 2015 3:05 PM

I hate to ask OP, but are you of Irish heritage by any chance? A friend of mine used to say Irish parents certainly didn't want their kids to starve, but didn't need or want them to become too successful, as it would overshadow the parents. I found that an odd observation, yet...sort of true.

by Anonymousreply 4October 27, 2015 4:26 PM

R4 hasn't been reading very carefully to ask that question!

by Anonymousreply 5October 27, 2015 4:57 PM

Yes, my son. The male nurse.

Could I be any prouder?

by Anonymousreply 6October 27, 2015 5:03 PM

Christ, get some therapy! Get it before you start hands-on nursing! You'll never be able to cope with other people's problems if you have so little insight into your own!

Your father's the real problem, not your mother.

by Anonymousreply 7October 27, 2015 5:08 PM

The OP is John / Program Major Book Resale Troll and DL regulars who can recognise his posts in an instant are heartily sick to fucking death of him.

by Anonymousreply 8October 27, 2015 5:10 PM

I love R6

by Anonymousreply 9October 27, 2015 7:19 PM

Is this the guy whose mother locked him in his room?

by Anonymousreply 10October 27, 2015 7:35 PM

I have a narcissistic mother too, OP, but now I live 2300 miles away from her, I have a good therapist and my entire outlook on life has changed. I used to feel so worthless because she made everything about her: how things made her feel or how she thought things would made her look to other people... on top of that, I would feel guilty for resenting her selfishness & negativty... now I couldn't care less.

Venting on DL is not going to change your situation. Move out of her house and find a good mental health professional to talk to. Move on before you get sucked into the abyss.

by Anonymousreply 11October 27, 2015 7:35 PM

That sounds like the vast majority of people . There are not many people who are generally happy (or even slightly) with others successes. Get over it, move on and be successful for you..not some old bag. I have found this to be the best way

by Anonymousreply 12October 27, 2015 7:37 PM

[quote]I hate to ask OP, but are you of Irish heritage by any chance?

You must be new here. This is John ("The Program Troll"), who is Japanese-Canadian. He didn't even try to hide that it was him.

Why don't you just start signing your posts John?

by Anonymousreply 13October 27, 2015 7:37 PM

[quote]Why don't you just start signing your posts John?

I thought John and the controlling mother guy were two different people.

by Anonymousreply 14October 27, 2015 9:55 PM

No, they are the same. There was one poster who was a 14 year old kid who posted once ,complaining about his mom giving mangoes to a lodger, that people thought was PMBT / John, but it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 15October 27, 2015 9:59 PM

I hope you are better at selling used textbooks than you are composing threads.

by Anonymousreply 16October 27, 2015 10:56 PM

Lmfao @ r6

by Anonymousreply 17October 27, 2015 11:06 PM

HI JOHN !!!

by Anonymousreply 18October 27, 2015 11:15 PM

John, I've grown to hate you because of your incessant whining. Datalounge is not your own private bitching blog.

by Anonymousreply 19October 29, 2015 1:27 AM

LOL, R1.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2020 5:38 PM

Sounds like a classic narcissist to me. Make sure she dies alone. That'll get her.

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2020 8:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!