Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help With Crazy Neighbors

Dataloungers, you're my only hope.

So my brother and his wife bought a house about three years ago. It's in a not-so-great neighborhood, and their neighbor is an elderly woman whose granddaughter (and boyfriend) live with her.

The granddaughter moved some of her really shitty and trashy friends into the house, and they hold wild parties until early in the morning.

My brother called the cops, and ever since then, the trashy tenant - who has no job and sleeps all day - started harassing my brother. Whenever my brother is in his yard, or leaving for work, or just outside, that creep starts saying things from his window like, "you fucking pussy" or "fa***t" or "I'm gonna kick your ass."

This guy is a real weirdo. He never comes out. He just makes these threatening comments from inside the house, and now he's getting his friends to harass my brother and his wife, like driving up alongside the house, taking photos of them with their phones, and eyeing them up.

Recently, he even started making obscene comments towards my brother's wife.

My brother is at his breaking point, and is begging me for help, before he does something drastic.

Naturally, the cops are no help because they need proof, and this guy watches their house, and never does things when anyone else is around.

He almost certainly does this for a living, since he has no job, sleeps all day, and stays up all night partying.

I don't know how to help my brother. Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 50March 30, 2020 11:31 PM

At a minimum, I hope he has an alarm system that includes night sensitive cameras that capture their entire property. He should ask the police what proof they need (videos, audio recordings, backup statements from neighbors or witnesses) and see if they can capture evidence. A dog can be beneficial too.

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2015 1:22 PM

[quote] At a minimum, I hope he has an alarm system that includes night sensitive cameras that capture their entire property.

He does. He also has three dogs.

But what's really driving my brother nuts is the constant mind fuck. This guy is relentless. He knows exactly what he's doing, and it's just a constant thing that is making my brother crazy. Sort of like the movie "Pacific Heights." The guy knows all the tricks of the trade.

My brother and his wife own their house and property, but this asshole is just a renter/drifter/grifter, so he has nothing to lose.

I feel really bad because my brother is begging me for help, and I don't know what to do.

The law is the law, and it really seems to protect assholes like this, because the burden of proof is on the victim.

by Anonymousreply 2October 27, 2015 1:35 PM

Tell your bro to go after the grandmother with threats of legal action. That sounds horrible but as long as it's her house she must keep her granddaughter under control.

I had PITA neighbours who moved into the rental property next door. Loud parties, smoking pot in the backyard, dog shitting on my lawn and wandering the street unleashed.

Nothing I did would make them stop so I got my lawyer to go after the property owners. Some old guy who made himself out to be innocent yet after doing some snooping I found he owns about $2 million in rental properties all over town. My lawyer doubled down and the owner finally kept his tenants under control.

I suspect he does this to get people to move and sell their houses cheap which he has done in the past according to some neighbours of his rental properties I spoke with.

If the cops won't help set up a video camera where they cannot see it and tape everything. And as I wrote get a lawyer to go after the property owner.

by Anonymousreply 3October 27, 2015 1:39 PM

Go to a private investigator and ask for a full review of the situation and a recommendation. They often are ex police officers and know people in law enforcement.

When you mention that your brother is pleading to you for help, why is he concentrating on you? Are you a cop or lawyer or someone who has experience dealing with scary neighbors?

by Anonymousreply 4October 27, 2015 1:42 PM

Also I want to add tell your brother to become familiar with all the city ordinances and use them. Complain about the grass and property being unkempt; complain about animals, complain about noise, complain about everything. With enough city paperwork you will have a solid case against the property owner and she will either get rid of the family or suffer the consequences. Call the fire department about possible fire hazards, BBQs etc. Call the city about their water and sewer. Call the electric company and say his electric service is acting up ever since those people moved in.

Also--and this is easier said than done--ignore the douchebag next door. Your bro and SIL should not let him know he's bothering them. Act like he doesn't exist but record everything he does.

Lastly, when he has loads of evidence, tell him to start causing damage to his own property. it will appear the neighbour did it as retaliation for contacting the city about them.

That guy is a passive aggressive asshole just like my neighbours were. they don't come right out and confront people but do childish things behind their back. Use the city's resources to your advantage.

by Anonymousreply 5October 27, 2015 1:46 PM

Not sure what kind of "mind fuck" is going on here. Some dude who never leaves the house shouts words out the window? Sounds like a mental case and I'd personally approach it that way when calling the cops. If it was me, I'd call the police, tell them that there's some homebound guy inside shouting profanities out the window, and I think he's mentally handicapped and needs some social services.

I'd also set up a video camera obviously pointed at their home, right at the dude's window. Doesn't have to be on or real, just make the guy think he's being taped. Set up a second camera, but hidden and working. Within a week, the guy will be trying to damage or steal the fake camera he can see, and I'd call the cops again.

I second the PI recommendation, and consulting a lawyer to contact the owner of the home.

by Anonymousreply 6October 27, 2015 1:49 PM

The tormentor is giving you all the advice your brother needs: stop being a fucking pussy. Bullies react to cowardice. If you ignore them, they go away.

by Anonymousreply 7October 27, 2015 1:50 PM

[quote] Tell your bro to go after the grandmother with threats of legal action. That sounds horrible but as long as it's her house she must keep her granddaughter under control.

This poor lady is ancient and senile. She's in her late 80's and has no idea what's going on. That's why these assholes are getting away with what they're getting away with.

The granddaughter is actually a nice girl, but her friends are fucking assholes, and she won't do anything to reign them in. Rather, she is denying that they even live there, for whatever reason.

[quote] When you mention that your brother is pleading to you for help, why is he concentrating on you? Are you a cop or lawyer

That was pretty observant.

Yes, but I'm stumped by this one, which is why I'm asking for advice. Outside of using the law to work for you (which again, usually favors the predator versus the victim), and actually presenting evidence to support your claim, I was telling my brother that he would probably have to let this asshole make the first move, and then call the cops.

Unfortunately, it's usually a "he said, he said" game, which is why these kinds of people know they can get away with it. It's very frustrating.

[quote] If it was me, I'd call the police, tell them that there's some homebound guy inside shouting profanities out the window, and I think he's mentally handicapped and needs some social services.

And legally, they can do absolutely nothing.

Trust me when I say that psychopaths always know how to work the laws of the land in their favor.

[quote] If you ignore them, they go away.

That's just not the case.

You underestimate the abilities of people with very bad motives and too much time on their hands.

As I said, this guy is mental. It's as if he gets off on mind fucking my brother and his wife.

I'll be honest. If I had my way, I would hire some people to rough this guy up. But who knows how the fuck that would end up.

So I just keep telling him, "I'll research this online for you." Hence, this thread.

by Anonymousreply 8October 27, 2015 1:56 PM

Well, if you have your mind made up, OP, why are you on here asking us for help? I think the person with mental problems is you.

by Anonymousreply 9October 27, 2015 1:59 PM

R3/R5 those are great ideas.

I doubt this old lady can control these people, but maybe with the ideas you suggested, if she won't do it, then someone else will.

by Anonymousreply 10October 27, 2015 2:01 PM

Get a digital recorder and secretly tape everything he says to you. And take any pertinent photos. Also, call police to report legitimate issues-loud music etc .When you have enough physical evidence go get a temporary restraining order. After 30 days you go to court before the judge who will have the final word.

My neighbor and I had a huge problem with another neighbor who was just making up stupid stories about us and verbally harrassing us everytime we left or returned home. He also did some minor property damage - pouring motor oil on front porch and breaking a few windows. We had no proof he did it ,but we had police reports. The police were called on him many times, so the cops were getting a good picture of who the'perp' really was. When we went before the judge, we were all carefully questioned. But, the judge ruled in our favor, so the restraining order stayed. And numbnuts never said another word or cast another glance after that. It's also interesting that the man died about 1 year later. I think all the anger and hate finally did him in.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 11October 27, 2015 2:01 PM

Asking for help and then immediately telling everyone who has given you advice that they're wrong, because there's nothing to be done except for hiring some guys to break kneecaps? Guess I was too generous to think this wasn't a troll thread.

by Anonymousreply 12October 27, 2015 2:06 PM

Thanks R11, will pass that information on to him.

The thing about this guy is that he's very sneaky and very calculating. After two months, my brother has never seen him. It's as if he has purposely avoided having anyone describe his appearance.

I know it sounds crazy, but I have asked my brother many of the questions I'm reading here, and he knows nothing about the guy, except for his first name.

This creep just says things that can be heard from next door, he makes threatening and lewd remarks, and he just basically antagonizes them.

Is it a crime? I'm guessing no. But it is driving my brother batshit crazy, to the point where he wants to hurt the guy.

I'm trying to find a better solution.

by Anonymousreply 13October 27, 2015 2:08 PM

Anyway, thanks for the advice, people.

I'll just take some of these ideas and pass it on.

Some of you have been pretty helpful. Thanks. :o)

by Anonymousreply 14October 27, 2015 2:10 PM

Laggers get daggers and snitches get stitches.

You asked for trouble when you reported him like a fraidy cat. Now you got what's coming to you. If you had been a man and confronted him face to face you wouldn't be in this situation.

by Anonymousreply 15October 27, 2015 2:37 PM

[quote]I feel really bad because my brother is begging me for help, and I don't know what to do.

Why's he begging YOU for help?...because he knows you can start threads on Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 16October 27, 2015 2:38 PM

R15...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 27, 2015 2:47 PM

If what he's doing is saying weird and lewd comments than your brother and wife should have their earbuds on every time they leave the house, and have a camera or recording device running. Chances are he'll raise his voice in an attempt to be heard and they can catch it on tape. Then they have something to go to the cops with.

Or the local SJW's. Some horrid lewd comment hurled at the wife would bring those fired up beasts out in droves to picket the house.

Also consider calling about the possible elder abuse going on inside the house.

by Anonymousreply 18October 27, 2015 4:09 PM

[quote] Or the local SJW's. Some horrid lewd comment hurled at the wife would bring those fired up beasts out in droves to picket the house. Also consider calling about the possible elder abuse going on inside the house.

Now these are great tips. Get on FB and tell everyone about the weirdo living next door and let them have at it. And calling the state and reporting elder abuse is a good one too.

by Anonymousreply 19October 27, 2015 6:09 PM

[quote]My brother is at his breaking point, and is begging me for help

Why? What do you have to do with it? Do you have some sort of expertise in this area? Or is your brother always begging you for help?

Or did he know your DL subscription was paid up so you could start threads?

Seems odd. I have a brother and we're fairly close, but if I had a neighbor dispute I would be talking to the other neighbors and contacting the police, not "begging" my brother for help.

by Anonymousreply 20October 27, 2015 6:17 PM

Cameras all around the house.

by Anonymousreply 21October 27, 2015 6:22 PM

People, OP doesn't want actual help. He wants to hit 600 posts by Friday.

Guys, his brother is BEGGING. There's a crazy shut-in next door shouting insults! The old lady is ANCIENT, can't reason with her. And the cops are USELESS, as EVERYONE knows.

Now come on! Who has more "helpful" ideas that OP can shoot down?

by Anonymousreply 22October 27, 2015 6:22 PM

Is your state an open carry one? If so get your brother a gun and tell him to openly wear it and set up audio as well as visual. As another person said, learn the ordinances and go after the owner.

by Anonymousreply 23October 27, 2015 6:51 PM

[quote] Get a digital recorder and secretly tape everything he says to you.

DON'T do this if you live in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington.

Those states require All-Parties Consent for recording conversations. You could be in deep shit for recording someone without their knowledge in these states, in some states like Florida doing so is a felony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 27, 2015 6:58 PM

R24 We presented our recordings and pictures in the state of Florida, and the judge ruled in our favor. This was in getting a restraining order,not criminal prosecution.

by Anonymousreply 25October 28, 2015 11:46 AM

Those are interesting suggestions, R18. I'll pass them on.

As for the elderly abuse, that could very well be happening. How is it that they are throwing wild parties at her house, and it's not bothering her?

They could have her locked in a room or something. Who knows? That is a VERY good suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 26October 28, 2015 12:35 PM

Go to the tax assessor's office. Forget the tenants, find out who pays property taxes on the house.

Try to contact him directly. We have shit like this happening across the street. Talking to the tenants does nothing. Find out who the landlord is. He/she pay taxes.

by Anonymousreply 27November 3, 2015 2:24 AM

Across the street, I watched someone stab another person. It was "heresay." when I reported it. Then, a few months later, I watched the sheriff come and take away one of the people in handcuffs, while the other resident of the house was bleeding and taken away on a stretcher. Stab wounds!

I have since found out who owns the duplex and have asked him to please be more selective in his choice of tenants. Turns out, he's their uncle. And evidently, the uncle is friends with law enforcement.

Hate to be a narc, but sometimes, you have to. Get it down in writing. I am still waiting for some huge biker fight or meth lab showdown across the street.

by Anonymousreply 28November 3, 2015 2:32 AM

[quote]Go to a private investigator and ask for a full review of the situation and a recommendation. They often are ex police officers and know people in law enforcement.

Best idea in the thread. And you definitely need an ex-cop.

by Anonymousreply 29November 3, 2015 2:39 AM

No, if you're the witness and you're the person testifying, the testimony is not hearsay. Testimony is hearsay if the witness testifies as to another person's statement*: "The mechanic said that the brakes had been repaired."

* for the truth of the matter asserted. I'll explain that if you want.

by Anonymousreply 30November 3, 2015 2:44 AM

Yes R30. You are correct.

I watched someone act weird, then I heard someone say "I 'm gonna cut you bitch." Then this crazy ass shit happened across the street. But when the cop asked me, she said what I heard was "heresay." (Note to self--cops can be stupid, but better not to piss them off.)

In case DL people wonder why I see all this stuff, I am an artist and paint all day, facing the crazy house. I see the stuff that the 9-5 ers don't see.

by Anonymousreply 31November 3, 2015 3:10 AM

Clean his shotgun in the backyard in full view.

by Anonymousreply 32November 3, 2015 3:49 AM

In your case, it would not have been hearsay because you wouldn't have been testifying to the truth of the matter asserted, i.e., that he really was going to cut the bitch. You would have been testifying to a threat you heard. Don't be too hard on the cop. Judges blow calls on hearsay objections, and they're supposed to be the experts.

by Anonymousreply 33November 3, 2015 4:13 AM

OP, please don't take this the wrong way, but you and your brother sound like a hot mess. Neither of you are equipped to deal with the situation you've described. It almost sound like you, your brother and the neighbors are nothing more than feudin' carnies in the off season.

A logical step would be to get a lawyer. A letter from a lawyer to the owner of the property can be a game changer. The lawyer can also educate you and your brother exactly what the laws are and any limitations as well as what police reports you can and should file.

If you can't afford an attorney just settle it like most carnies would: a fist fight around an open campfire in the alley with family members watching and cheering.

by Anonymousreply 34November 3, 2015 4:16 AM

What's your beef? They sound like the typical American family. Drama! Your brother has to admit his life has become interesting since they took over the joint. He secretly longs to ditch his wife and be a part of their all-night sex /drug parties to get his nut off over there. The bunch sound like young, fun-loving people wishing to enjoy life! Tell your brother to work with it. He should join in in their revelry, not be a bore against it! God, people can be so utterly dumb sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 35November 3, 2015 4:49 AM

R35, are you the script doctor?

by Anonymousreply 36November 3, 2015 6:07 AM

It doesn't matter if the old lady is senile, OP. Her property, her problem. Threaten her with legal action. The people on her property are harrassing the neighbours.

Your only recourse is to complain to the landlord.

by Anonymousreply 37November 3, 2015 5:58 PM

Some really bad advice from many here. Audio taping people without their consent is illegal, dipshits.

And pointing a video camera at a house is infringing on their privacy. Me personally? I would shoot the camera with a shotgun if it was pointed at my house.

Basically, the OP is fucked. You have shithead neighbors. Deal with it or move.

I love idiots/morons/dipshits who spend $250k on a tiny little condo or house. I bought 10 acres of mountain land with no neighbors for $40k. Only neighbors are wildlife.

Get some real advice from an attorney, not people who dream about munching Justin Bieber's tiny cockmeat.

by Anonymousreply 38November 3, 2015 6:17 PM

[quote]I love idiots/morons/dipshits who spend $250k on a tiny little condo or house. I bought 10 acres of mountain land with no neighbors for $40k. Only neighbors are wildlife.

Sounds as if you're really enjoying life, R38.

by Anonymousreply 39November 3, 2015 11:50 PM

I think the best thing to cure your brother's problem is a little Jewish lightning.

by Anonymousreply 40November 4, 2015 1:56 AM

[quote]It's in a not-so-great neighborhood

I'm shocked! SHOCKED!

by Anonymousreply 41November 4, 2015 2:03 AM

If legal means fail get someone to make their lives a misery. A real scary fucker with an imaginative approach to harassment. A PI may know of exactly the type you want and drop the name in conversation. A co worker did this when the crazy neighbor eventually got to him. He hired a loco ex army vet who scared the living daylights out of them, no actual physical harm just very, very scary. They moved within two months.

by Anonymousreply 42November 4, 2015 2:09 AM

OK, boomer R38

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2020 3:43 AM

Just burn their fucking house down. That’ll take care of everything.

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2020 3:58 AM

R24 - it isn't a private conversation. If they're yelling stuff out of their home, it's public. Those laws don't apply in this case.

I like R42's advice.

Google "neighbor harrassment" - there are tons of articles. Just look for what applies in your area. Audio tapes are 100% ok, and you can point a camera in any direction on your property that you want to.

by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2020 4:06 AM

This thread is from 2015. Why resurrect it to say "OK Boomer"?

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2020 5:15 AM

R43, what the fuck is wrong with you?

Why bump a nearly five-year-old thread, only to add an unfunny, two-word putdown at a poster who may or may not still be here?? GTFO.

by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2020 11:04 AM

Interestingly, I had R43 on block.

by Anonymousreply 48March 29, 2020 11:14 AM

OK, boomer R47

by Anonymousreply 49March 30, 2020 10:36 PM

This was obviously an Extremely Stupid Tale. The "brother," had way too much insight into the situation, events, and thoughts of the, "victims."

by Anonymousreply 50March 30, 2020 11:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!