Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Something creepy just happened to me.

I chatted with a guy on Grindr a couple months ago. We also texted briefly. I ended up blocking him because I started finding him a little too weird. So the only connection we have is through Grindr and texting.

Facebook just suggested him as 'someone I may know." We have no friends in common.

WTF?????

by Anonymousreply 32March 5, 2021 10:04 AM

One of two things, he either looked at your profile recently or one of your Facebook friends is just as slutty as you are...

by Anonymousreply 1October 27, 2015 7:39 AM

Did you import your contacts to Facebook messenger?

by Anonymousreply 2October 27, 2015 7:40 AM

That happened to me via several Twitter connections, OP. It might b that he went looking for you on FB. That's the connection, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3October 27, 2015 7:40 AM

Facebook (aka CIA) figured out that you are a homosexual, Mary OP!

by Anonymousreply 4October 27, 2015 7:42 AM

Read this, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 27, 2015 7:45 AM

Something similar is happening with LinkedIn. I don't have a LI account, but if anyone looks me up (apparently), I get an e mail notification that So-and-So wants to be my LinkedIn pal. Creepy. One lady looked me up several times and I got a email each time. I'm sure she didn't know.

This could lead to really embarrassing situations. Plus, I panicked and had to investigate whether I got blackout drunk and made a terrible profile.

by Anonymousreply 6October 27, 2015 7:54 AM

Again with this?

by Anonymousreply 7October 27, 2015 8:06 AM

If you have the FB app on your phone it can sync contact info and profile photos even if you're not FB friends with the new contact. If you add a phone number, the FB app matches it against profiles with phone numbers and, if it finds a match, pulls in the person's name and profile picture. In sure this works the other way and since you once had the guy's number in your phone, the FB app is telling FB to suggest this person as a friend.

by Anonymousreply 8October 27, 2015 9:22 AM

I deleted Facebook from my IPhone for the very same reason. Very intrusive plus it sucked the battery life lie a $10 whore

by Anonymousreply 9October 27, 2015 9:36 AM

OP, I had a friend suggestion for a person whose number I put in my phone so I could text them a name later. That was the only contact we had. Completely innocuous. It is because of phone numbers synced to Facebook as r8 said.

by Anonymousreply 10October 27, 2015 9:41 AM

Whore problems

by Anonymousreply 11October 27, 2015 9:47 AM

Well, that video and article suggests that it's Messenger going into your contacts and getting the info there. Problem is (and I checked on FB to make sure) I DO NOT HAVE ANY IMPORTED CONTACTS from messenger. I have never linked a phone number to FB. This is why I'm freaked out.

by Anonymousreply 12October 27, 2015 4:17 PM

I saw a similar suggestion on my fb [age this morning, and I don't even have a smart phone or use grindr or anything like that. Not sure what the connection was, but somehow Facebook KNEW. It was especially startling in contrast to the adjacent ads, which have absolutely nothing to do with my interests or even my searches ('meet Christian singles over 50" "get rid of toe fungus").

by Anonymousreply 13October 27, 2015 4:24 PM

[quote]I DO NOT HAVE ANY IMPORTED CONTACTS from messenger. I have never linked a phone number to FB.

But does the other party have your phone number in his contacts? How about your email? Has he ever looked at your profile? FB collects and crosslinks every piece of data it's given. That's FB's raison d’être.

by Anonymousreply 14October 27, 2015 6:54 PM

You probably sucked him off before and just forgot, OP.

by Anonymousreply 15March 4, 2021 10:42 PM

Facebook knows pretty much every place you have been on the web through the use of what are known as cookies. They have a huge collection of data on you. They also know where the Grindr guy has been.

They have literally 10s of thousands of computers looking for any connection between two people that they know about, and the result is what you saw.

It's time to break up big tech: FaceBook, Google / Alphabet, and Twitter should all be broken up.

by Anonymousreply 16March 4, 2021 10:48 PM

[quote] It's time to break up big tech: FaceBook, Google / Alphabet, and Twitter should all be broken up.

Don’t forget Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 17March 4, 2021 10:55 PM

These companies are scumbags yet they get away with EVERYTHING.

I got a citation because my plate was ONE DAY out of registration. But I had already register online so there was no actual gap in registration. Only on the plate. And the cop could see that everything was legit and registered.

I STILL got a citation, not a warning.

All my life I have played by the rules and I still get penalized the very second I make a small mistake.

What is Mark Z and Cheryl S secret? They get away with GENOCIDE and I can’t even have a one day old sticker on my plates.

This world is so fucked up now. These people literally own us. We are their slaves.

by Anonymousreply 18March 4, 2021 10:57 PM

I was at Hillside Campground in Pennsylvania last Labor day weekend and got involved in an orgy of about 15 guys. I didn't exchange or have the numbers of any of them. The next day about half of them were suggested friends.

by Anonymousreply 19March 4, 2021 11:28 PM

Nobody is forcing any of you paranoid scitzos to have a Facebook account.

by Anonymousreply 20March 5, 2021 12:03 AM

R19 because they used their thumbprints to log into Facebook, the DNA of the 9 men you had inside of you matched the database.

by Anonymousreply 21March 5, 2021 12:07 AM

No shit Sherlock @r20, but we are allowed to be critical of Big Tech.

by Anonymousreply 22March 5, 2021 12:08 AM

R20. Great answer. I am well trained in computers which caused me second thoughts about ever becoming a FB member. To this day, I am not connected to FB and feel vindicated after the events of recent years.

by Anonymousreply 23March 5, 2021 12:09 AM

[quote]Nobody is forcing any of you paranoid scitzos to have a Facebook account.

Sadly no one forced r20 to learn to spell either.

by Anonymousreply 24March 5, 2021 12:10 AM

Why was a 2015 thread bumped... so weird

by Anonymousreply 25March 5, 2021 12:21 AM

R25 = Zuckerberg trying to take the focus off the shadiness of Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 26March 5, 2021 12:27 AM

R8, thanks creep. FBI noticed

by Anonymousreply 27March 5, 2021 12:34 AM

The barista who always gives me the code to the bathroom at the Starbucks that I go to the bathroom at (long story) who I only know by her first name and the fact that she always rolls her eyes when I ask for it because apparently there's some LAW that you have to buy something to use the crapper at the Starbucks came up as a friend I might know and we have no friends in common.

by Anonymousreply 28March 5, 2021 12:46 AM

Where do you live r28? I thought with woke culture, Starbucks were letting the homeless shoot up in their restrooms now... I mean, letting people use their restrooms now with no purchase.

by Anonymousreply 29March 5, 2021 6:00 AM

Who the fuck still uses FB?! Old maids maybe.

by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2021 7:35 AM

Shut up R30.

Probably through your email address or phone number

by Anonymousreply 31March 5, 2021 9:55 AM

It happens also if your phones are regularly in close proximity, or connected to the same wifi at the same time regularly, r28... allegedly.

by Anonymousreply 32March 5, 2021 10:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!