Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Double standard: how do you deal with it

Have you dealt with this in your life?

My mom was just drying clothes at 1 am. And the dryer was making a lot of noise. My roommate, and my dad were sleeping when this occurred.

She forbade me just yesterday from using the dryer at 11 pm because it was too late. Today I asked her if it was too late to be drying and she replied but she needed some clothes.

I figured out over the years that her constantly forbidding me from accomplishing activities of daily living is her way of exerting control over me. She likes to have a leash over everyone and she isn't happy if she doesn't which is why she doesn't have many friends. One actually and that one friend she bent over backwards to please. But all this has a bad impact on me. This is why I can't take care of myself.

Anyway, can't wait until the day I become independent. Have my own place which is some distance away from her.

by Anonymousreply 72August 19, 2020 9:12 PM

How old are you? Do you live with your mother? What the hell are you doing still depending on your mother to dry clothes?

by Anonymousreply 1October 26, 2015 5:33 AM

In the meantime, maybe you can ask her if you can go to the junior prom.

by Anonymousreply 2October 26, 2015 5:34 AM

OP, can you get into R rated movies?

by Anonymousreply 3October 26, 2015 5:37 AM

Don't be a fucking weenie. Go ahead and do things, and don't ask for permission first.

by Anonymousreply 4October 26, 2015 5:40 AM

[quote] Anyway, can't wait until the day I become independent. Have my own place which is some distance away from her.

Remember to ask my permission first!

by Anonymousreply 5October 26, 2015 5:42 AM

Did you brush your teeth?

by Anonymousreply 6October 26, 2015 5:47 AM

How come you have a roommate and still live with your parents? Get a place of your own with your roommate.

by Anonymousreply 7October 26, 2015 5:47 AM

I live in an apartment. The laundry room is not allowed to be in use after 11:00 PM. If you move out and move to a major city and get an apartment you will have to deal with much worse laundry drama. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 8October 26, 2015 5:59 AM

I was brutally murdered that is how I dealt with it

by Anonymousreply 9October 26, 2015 6:02 AM

OP, congratulations to you if this is the biggest problem in your life.

by Anonymousreply 10October 26, 2015 6:06 AM

You live in your mom's house. You cannot be afforded, nor should you claim, dignity.

Shut your mouth and get an apartment.

by Anonymousreply 11October 26, 2015 6:24 AM

While you live with her, she'll continue to treat you a a child.

by Anonymousreply 12October 26, 2015 3:19 PM

John / OP, I'm begging you : JUST FUCK OFF AND LEAVE THIS BOARD.

by Anonymousreply 13October 26, 2015 3:26 PM

Move out and develop your business of reselling used textbooks.

by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2015 3:31 PM

Don't worry, OP. In a few years you'll graduate high school and will become a legal adult.

by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2015 3:33 PM

On DL you'd be more popular if you lives in a homeless shelter than with your parents.

by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2015 3:36 PM

Hey John ..........when is your test ? Are you ready for it ?

by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2015 8:13 PM

R17 I moved the nclex to November 27, I think I will be ready in 2 more weeks.

by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2015 8:47 PM

This is why millennials need to be exterminated.

by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2015 9:00 PM

Didn't you say your dad was moving, OP, or am I remembering that wrong? I want to say you talked about anticipating missing him after he leaves.

by Anonymousreply 20October 26, 2015 9:03 PM

R20, my dad is leaving and for good. But he promised me to stay with me three months after the exam. After that he's leaving me. He told me the other day after the three months, we will try to find each other in the future but it is goodbye for now.

by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2015 9:08 PM

Ewwww you talk about your Dad like he is a romantic lover. I'm leaving you now......we will find each other in the future....goodbye for now........

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2015 9:20 PM

John, this isn't your personal therapy board. You are just so excruciatingly awful and dull. It's bizarre that you have a roommate AND live with your parents. It's all so nonsensical. Everything you write, every last awful vomit of your brain that you feel so compelled to share just doesn't make sense. Are you dirt poor? The melodrama about everything, the "goodbye" to your father, the controlling mother,your strange obsessiojs with SO MANY THING, the fact that you have a roomate in your parents' house, the fact that you are so ill-prepared for human life, that you STILL HAVEN'T TAKEN THAT DAMN TEST...it's all so sad and sick. You are the equivalent of rusty nails hammered into the eyes. I speak for many when I say...FUCK OFF.

by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2015 9:22 PM

Why is he leaving? Sorry if that's too personal. I hope you move out right after he leave so you're not stuck with your mom. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2015 9:25 PM

He's leaving because he doesn't want to be with my mom and because he wants to make something of the very few years he's got left. Since he's married my mom, it's been nonstop trouble for him. She keeps digging holes while he's behind filling them. So he hasn't had much time for himself and for he wants.

by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2015 9:29 PM

Norman, stop making such a racket!

by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2015 9:42 PM

What would you do if you knew a man who looked like a double eye-lidded Tom Hardy? Would you take him to the high school dance? I would. My mother rents rooms in our one bedroom Canada apartment to Tom Hardy impersonating door-to-door makeups sellers. They do. They will not let my father use the dryer and keep him in the basement with the tins of Vienna Sausages that my mother serves me through the slot in my door. I do. I keep my collection of scalp skin and hobo shoes in the basement where my father lives. Do you know where I can find a used book about making bars of soap into keys and Tom Hardy masks. I will. I use my nursing skills to return to my high school and hide in the locker room. When is American Halloween? Do your high school friends wear soap masks? I postponed my NCLEXIEIEO exam so I could make a map of England from the mashed potatoes and dryer lint my father gives me when I visit him in the furnace. He said I am great big boy. What would you do? I might. Why do the babies always turn away from me? Is it that they are high school babies like in America? What is it like at night in American basements? My roommate makes grilled sandwiches on the Canada radiator. I will use the stove one day. What is coffee like? Does it go through pipes? I am.

by Anonymousreply 27October 26, 2015 9:45 PM

FANK you R27, I couldn't contain my laughter.

by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2015 9:55 PM

With the Canadian Radiator, R27 has hit a new high.

by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2015 10:07 PM

John, the longer you keep on posting this stuff the more annoyed DLers are going to become with you. We have told you a million times - you need professional counselling to support you in moving ahead with an independent life, posting here is not a substitute for that.

by Anonymousreply 30October 26, 2015 10:12 PM

"She keeps digging holes while he's behind filling them"

For what, dead pets?

by Anonymousreply 31October 27, 2015 12:24 AM

The really icky part is that he, his partner and his parents all live in a house together with one bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 32October 27, 2015 5:10 AM

WTF - your father says he's leaving and DOESN'T PLAN TO MAINTAIN CONTACT WITH YOU... and it's your mother you're complaining about???

Dude, normal divorced fathers and decent human beings do everything in their power to maintain good relationships with their children during and after a divorce, and your father is not behaving normally in this! Your mother may be annoying but at least she's willing to keep a roof over your head and do housework so you can study, while your father is behaving like a monster.

by Anonymousreply 33October 27, 2015 7:01 AM

[quote]If you move out and move to a major city and get an apartment you will have to deal with much worse laundry drama. Trust me.

Why? There are plenty of apartments with a laundry room in them. Elevate your standards. Sharing laundry machines is absolutely disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 34October 27, 2015 7:47 AM

In many previous threads, I have said "Straight men consider parenting to be optional".

To support my point, I present OP's post at R21.

by Anonymousreply 35October 27, 2015 8:30 AM

R35, you use the post of a fucking loon to back your opinion?

by Anonymousreply 36October 27, 2015 9:21 AM

A grease fire wouldn't even want your pathetic ass

by Anonymousreply 37October 27, 2015 9:30 AM

Is it true that sometimes people take up secret residence in the laundry room and that is why you always find them there?

Spooky, man, spooky.

by Anonymousreply 38October 27, 2015 11:41 AM

R27, that was beautiful.

My mother was also extremely overbearing at times although she also hated me. Most of the time she completely ignored me. I thought her intermittent control freak behavior was the reason I was a loser. It wasn't. I was just crazy. I thought when I moved out it would be different. I just became a slutty, drunk loser.

by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2015 11:53 AM

Thank you R27 for helping me start the day with a true laugh out loud.

R33...really? Don't you realize there probably are no parents?

by Anonymousreply 40October 27, 2015 12:04 PM

R32...not a partner. John has no partner. He's a virgin, never touched, never kissed, by his own admission. It's a roommate. Even ickier.

by Anonymousreply 41October 27, 2015 3:56 PM

She is currently using both washingmachine and the dryer and it's almost 2am. When I asked her of its too late, she said my father had his earphones on. Lol. He was in bed sleeping two hours ago without earphones. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 42October 28, 2015 4:51 AM

Her house, her rules. As long as you are dependent on her, you do not have an equal relationship and you don't get to annoy her the way she annoys you.

And from what you've told us, she is willing to maintain a relationship with you and support you, when your father is not. Try to appreciate that, and forgive her for all her irritating little ways, there are more important things going on. In other words, shut up and study!

by Anonymousreply 43October 28, 2015 5:28 AM

[quote]I postponed my NCLEXIEIEO exam so I could make a map of England from the mashed potatoes and dryer lint my father gives me when I visit him in the furnace. He said I am great big boy.

lmfaoooooooooooo

by Anonymousreply 44October 28, 2015 7:23 AM

THIS is your double standard? Eek. Your life is so difficult.

by Anonymousreply 45November 2, 2015 4:22 PM

[quote] the fact that you have a roomate in your parents' house

I suspect this roommate is really a caregiver.

by Anonymousreply 46November 2, 2015 4:27 PM

I smell a program.

by Anonymousreply 47November 2, 2015 4:33 PM

R47 No, this is someone much younger. He essentially had to reveal that he was thirteen ot fourteen in one of his earlier threads because posters were calling him out for being a pathetic piece of shit when he was going on about living with his mommy and some guy she had living with them.

by Anonymousreply 48November 2, 2015 7:10 PM

Dear OP, Sorry, you're not my type. Try getting trapped outside in a blizzard instead. That's probably closer to possible.

by Anonymousreply 49November 2, 2015 8:06 PM

This woman's husband is leaving her and is sticking her with the next Adam Lanza here, and he doesn't have a fucking clue why she's a bit cranky!

by Anonymousreply 50November 2, 2015 8:21 PM

No! I tell you no! I won't have you bringing some young inferior Thai in for supper! By candlelight, I suppose, in the cheap, erotic fashion of young Japanese-Canadians with cheap, erotic minds! And then what? After supper? Re-sold books? Whispers?

by Anonymousreply 51November 2, 2015 8:25 PM

OP--if you are serious. You need to move away from Mommy. Figure out how the rest of us wash our clothes.

by Anonymousreply 52November 2, 2015 8:27 PM

I don't blame OP's father. I would want to get away from both of them too.

by Anonymousreply 53November 2, 2015 8:35 PM

I hate to think that OP is an actual person. I am imagining a story.

Isn't one of the first things you learn, when you get out on your own--how do I get clean clothes. AND, how do I feed myself?

by Anonymousreply 54November 2, 2015 9:02 PM

Just do your laundry in the morning, afternoon, or evening. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 55November 2, 2015 9:23 PM

[quote]my dad is leaving and for good. But he promised me to stay with me three months after the exam. After that he's leaving me. He told me the other day after the three months, we will try to find each other in the future but it is goodbye for now.

Wow, that is extremely fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 56November 6, 2015 9:53 AM

Yeah, R56, and what's especially fucked up is that he still says his dad is a wonderful guy, and constantly bitches about the mother who's going to support him for the rest of his life.

by Anonymousreply 57November 6, 2015 10:05 AM

"Leaving you" - what the hell does that mean. He announces in advance that he is disappearing from the family, forever, no contact.

1) That is extremely weird

2) I don't believe it.

3) I think John, you are very fucked up and need that therapy.

4) If it is true, John, you need therapy to deal with your own special psychology and also a lifetimes living in a very odd family. I would say you are aspie, or OCD, or something. And growing up in that family only made it much worse.

by Anonymousreply 58November 6, 2015 10:20 AM

[quote] 4) If it is true, John, you need therapy to deal with your own special psychology and also a lifetimes living in a very odd family. I would say you are aspie, or OCD, or something. And growing up in that family only made it much worse.

Agreed.

The mother, at least in this thread, sounds like a textbook narcissist by not letting her darling learn how to do laundry, so that he's dependant on her. And also setting rules [such as "No laundry after 11 pm"] that she herself then immediately breaks, because "it's different for me!"

by Anonymousreply 59November 6, 2015 9:40 PM

R48 is confusing to me -- is John only 14 years old, or is s/he referring to some other poster?

by Anonymousreply 60November 6, 2015 10:09 PM

Where's the op? Does he always abandon his threads?

by Anonymousreply 61November 7, 2015 10:11 PM

R61 yes when people discuss his mental illness or special personality, whatever it is.

by Anonymousreply 62November 8, 2015 12:24 AM

Poor OP. I think your mother likes controlling you. This may be the reason you’re gay as well. Overbearing mother made you subconsciously fear and hate women. I hope you will grow wings and fly away soon, OP.

by Anonymousreply 63August 19, 2020 6:13 PM

Ignore her. Wear earbuds in the house. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 64August 19, 2020 6:14 PM

0/10

I’m pretty sure this is a repeat.

by Anonymousreply 65August 19, 2020 6:17 PM

Alert: Spazzy weirdo @ R63 bumping 2015 threads.

by Anonymousreply 66August 19, 2020 6:18 PM

This is an old John/PMBT thread.

by Anonymousreply 67August 19, 2020 6:19 PM

Just agree to it if she agrees not to do the same, OP.

This isn't rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 68August 19, 2020 7:06 PM

R19, eldergays who make generalizations about "millennials" should be exterminated.

by Anonymousreply 69August 19, 2020 7:09 PM

R63, are you quoting from a psychology textbook in 1945? Most straight men hate women more than gay men do

by Anonymousreply 70August 19, 2020 7:10 PM

I'm too lazy (and uninterested) to wade through all these comments.

How old is OP?

by Anonymousreply 71August 19, 2020 7:11 PM

Has John/PMBT posted at all recently? I haven't seen him around here in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 72August 19, 2020 9:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!