Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gluten-free craze amongst those without a gluten intolerance annoys Italian restaurateurs

"The epidemic of food intolerance has gone way over the top".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 5, 2020 3:15 AM

Get off the cross, Mary the "Restauranteur". Most restaurants decide to do what they want. Many disappoint "special" eaters all the time. The ones that want to be inclusive have talented people in the kitchen who can come up with something.

Most people who have special demands or interests seek out those places that they like ahead of time. The ones who don't can be happy to go away disappointed if you don't throw temper tantrums.

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2015 3:17 PM

most diners with "special" needs need to stay at home

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2015 3:21 PM

It amuses me to have Americans who are "allergic" to pasta travel to Italy and expect to be accommodated.

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2015 3:31 PM

I despise folks that make eating out an aggressive experience.

Eating out is a passive experience, you order the chef's creation and enjoy.

These agressive, attention starved assholes should just stay and eat in their own homes. Nobody wants to be subject to their needy obsessions.

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2015 3:32 PM

I agree. if you're so special, cook for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2015 3:32 PM

I can't imagine being around people so tedious. Eat your fucking meal and shut the fuck up! You're not special: you're pretentious, arrogant and needy which makes you pathetic. The people who have real life and death allergies must be so angered in lumped together with these narcissists (mostly women and/or mothers desperate for attention)

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2015 3:41 PM

edit: "being" lumped together . . .

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2015 3:43 PM

Humans cannot really tolerate gluten, so almost everyone has it to some degree.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2015 5:11 PM

R8 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2015 5:27 PM

R7 and everyone else, please stop it with the edits. They're worse than the oh dears.

by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2015 5:31 PM

Have you been medically assessed as having a gluten allergy? Yes? Then I'll make something else for you. You haven't? Get the fuck out and take your whiny brats with you. There's a KFC down the road, go knock yourselves out.

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2015 5:35 PM

My friend is going to Italy and wanted to know if Italian restaurants serve de caf coffee? I told her good luck. I've been told no one really serves de caf. They say it is but it's not.

Anyone one else experience this?

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2015 5:36 PM

This one fuck buddy, after at least 10 fucks, I thought maybe he was dateable material, since we are chatty after the fucks. He was top and horse hung. I invited him to a restaurant. He turned into the nelliest, pickiest, most difficult restaurant diner I'd experienced in a long while. We are still fuck buddies but lordy lordy what queeny eater.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2015 5:37 PM

R12 - tell her to ask for it. It's Italy, not the third-world. Good God.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2015 5:40 PM

The point is r14 she can ask but it doesn't mean it really is.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2015 5:44 PM

Sheeeeesh!

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2015 5:44 PM

Gluten-free shit is just a trendy "look at meeeeeee" moment for people in need of attention. We've become a world of attention whores.

by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2015 5:46 PM

Gluten allergy? When I hear that I imagine a fat middle aged frau. Pretentious, works in an office, thinks she's rich and special but has a boring middle class job. Fat frumpy but dressed in expensive frau clothes. I see her fat feet in sandals. She's picky and demanding. In shitloads of credit card debt. Sassy and picky. Complaining. Like one of the fat ugly step sisters in Cinderella who bosses around poor Cinderella. Fat ugly average thinks she's a princess.

I hate boring middle class fat frumpy cube queens who make waitresses and waiters run back and forth. They are very cheap tippers too. They bitch to the cook if they don't cater to their picky tastes. I heard that's why Starbucks is so popular is because they cater to bitchy picky fraus who have to have things their way.

by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2015 5:48 PM

LOL, R18, you've just described my aunt. She threw a hissy fit on her flight back from Mallorca because the "special gluten-free meal" seemed to "clearly" contain gluten. The criminal item? A bread roll. You don't want the roll, you odious fat fuck? YOU. TAKE. THE. ROLL. AND. DISPOSE. OF. IT. Gah!

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2015 5:53 PM

I think if you have anything that makes you some special type of snowflake, then eat the fuck at home. I have a coworker who tested positive for celiac, though she's never had a symptom a day in her life, and since she's become such a fucking Nazi when you go out for lunch with her. I worry wait staff spit in MY food just for going out to lunch with her. And if she so much as farts after, you'd think she was poisoned to death by the restaurant (this from from someone who smokes at least a pack a day). I'm pretty sure, anyway, most restaurants that *say* they accommodate a gluten allergy really don't - there's all kinds of cross-contamination that would make any person with a true sensitivity severely sick.

by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2015 5:53 PM

Haha, R18 - that's my coworker to a 't'...

by Anonymousreply 21October 25, 2015 5:54 PM

Everyone needs to remember the old adage "when in Rome.....". When you visit other countries just eat their fucking food and quit your whining and special needs which are mostly attention whoring.

by Anonymousreply 22October 25, 2015 6:08 PM

R18, you just nailed a former coworker a/k/a the car lady.

by Anonymousreply 23October 25, 2015 6:22 PM

The Cat lady

by Anonymousreply 24October 25, 2015 6:23 PM

R24 - that's not your fat typing, that's your gluten-intolerance typing! Give up gluten! Stop eating things that give you pleasure! BECOME LIKE GWYNETH PALTROW!

by Anonymousreply 25October 25, 2015 6:27 PM

I've noticed a pattern: all the people that were "lactose intolerant" a decade ago are now "gluten intolerant". And you're right, R20: usually all it is is that they fart once 20 minutes after eating dairy or now gluten. "I'M *FILL IN THE BLANK* INTOLERANT!!!!" No, you just need to take a dump! Get some fiber in that diet, quit swilling carbonated drinks and chomping on gum all day and maybe your real issue - farting! - will subside.

by Anonymousreply 26October 25, 2015 6:39 PM

R8 is right. Also don't forget that traditional preparation methods involved much soaking, fermenting, sprouting etc., to cut down on phytic acid and the other natural pesticides in grains.

It's easy to avoid gluten: make your own meals at home. If you want to eat with others for the social aspect invite them to your home and cook the food yourself.

The hardest part is gracefully turning down pushy, guilt-tripping friends and family members who try get you to eat out or try their homemade foods. Some people can't take "no" for an answer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 25, 2015 6:40 PM

It's pretty much bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 28October 25, 2015 6:43 PM

R12 I think you're right that it would be very hard to get decaf in an Italian or most other European restaurants, but I'm sure you can buy decaf beans/grinded coffee in most larger supermarkets. Of course, she would then have to prepare it herself.

by Anonymousreply 29October 25, 2015 6:43 PM

bullshite

by Anonymousreply 30October 25, 2015 8:12 PM

A gluten allergy is different from an intolerance.

An allergy is when the immune system mistakes a benign substance as harmful and attacks it. For example if the immune system sees a smallpox virus it attacks it and hopefully kills it and you recover. Now whenever the immune system sees the smallpox virus again it immediately attacks it preventing you from getting ill.

An allergy is this process gone wrong. Suppose you eat a peanut and your immune system sees the proteins in a peanut as a dangerous infectious agent and it attacks it. Then from that time on, every time you eat peanuts, your immune system will attack it.

An intolerance to gluten or lactose is a reaction but it does not involve the immune system. Gas, bloating, pain and so forth are reactions by the body but not allergies, since it's not the immune system reacting.

by Anonymousreply 31October 25, 2015 8:26 PM

It's not just the gluten. It's also the sugar, high-fructose corn syrup and seed oils in practically everything.

by Anonymousreply 32October 25, 2015 8:37 PM

seed oils? when the fuck did those get put on the black list?

by Anonymousreply 33October 25, 2015 8:40 PM

[quote]An allergy is when the immune system mistakes a benign substance as harmful and attacks it.

I say this like a thousand times a day, you get stomach acid, you get a stuffy nose, it's annoying, but it is not the prophylactic shock that comes with an allergy

by Anonymousreply 34October 25, 2015 8:41 PM

[quote]the prophylactic shock

So you're allergic to condoms, too?

(Oh, dear. )

by Anonymousreply 35October 25, 2015 10:09 PM

Oh, FANK you! You fixded my bisketti!

by Anonymousreply 36October 25, 2015 10:09 PM

Yes R35, latex

by Anonymousreply 37October 25, 2015 10:17 PM

Well, I am lactose intolerant. Many African Americans, Asians, etc. are. Gene for producing lactase switched off at puberty.

BUT I don't expect folks to make dairy free lasagna, etc. to accommodate me. I don't eat an item or I eat small amts. or I fucking dose up on Lactaid. I still LOVE cheese. Fuck special snowflakes.

by Anonymousreply 38October 25, 2015 10:18 PM

Do the posters here take pride in their brash ignorance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 25, 2015 10:47 PM

R6 gets my applause:-)

by Anonymousreply 40October 25, 2015 10:51 PM

Ironically, the same bunch calling bullshit on the notion of intolerances are also the ones who push for vaccinations.

The whole point of vaccinations is to ensure that genetic weaklings don't get weeded out of the gene pool, which means that more people with health conditions will reach reproductive age and pass on their faulty genes. In fact, the claim that human evolution is accelerating is based on this truth: more genetic fuckups are surviving and reproducing. The population of "special snowflakes" will only increase in the future. Might as well get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 41October 25, 2015 11:00 PM

People with lactose intolerance can actually take pills before meals containing lactose to help digest it anyway, so they really have no excuse.

Celiac disease *is* an allergy to gluten and if a strict gluten-free diet isn't adhered to, they stand the chance of eroding their intestines and getting cancer or needing surgery to remove their bowels. It's pretty serious.

Gluten intolerance is a made up fancy word for fraus who want to feel special. They people that "discovered" gluten intolerance retracted their findings and said it doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 42October 25, 2015 11:01 PM

So many dumb cunts here need an education. So tiring to read threads like this. I hope one of you gets locked in a bathroom after a celiac has used it post-gluten ingestion. Actually, it's DL - so I hope one of you is eating the ass of a celiac who didn't realize they ingested gluten. That's better.

It's not that fucking hard to make spaghetti squash. Why should people who have issues stay at home? Should all handicapped ramps be removed as well? Might as well leave the 'tards in the attic too, right?

by Anonymousreply 43October 25, 2015 11:02 PM

There are general problems with wheat, regardless of gluten. Gluten is just 1 of a dozen chemicals that are present in much more higher concentration in modern wheat than wheat 50 years ago since it has been hybridized to produce the highest yield of flour. It's not the same wheat.

Most of this book can be read for free on amazon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 25, 2015 11:07 PM

That's a great book R44

by Anonymousreply 45October 25, 2015 11:09 PM

Gluten is a protein that is naturally occurring, and literally EVERYTHING IN THE FUCKING UNIVERSE IS A CHEMICAL.

Non-science people blathering about piss me off. (though I agree with what you said; also plants have adaptive responses to being eaten including their own toxins they produce to harm an animal eating them, and wheat and other grains have been shown to do this to human guts).

by Anonymousreply 46October 25, 2015 11:11 PM

So everyone has celiac disease? Right... Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 47October 25, 2015 11:16 PM

The interesting thing he says in that book is that the stuff they use to substitute for gluten (rice flour ,tapioca starch) actually makes your insulin spike higher than regular white bread...so buying "gluten free" products is a bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 48October 25, 2015 11:19 PM

Neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter, author of Grain Brain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 25, 2015 11:24 PM

Celiac is a genuine condition , but very few people have it and it's easily tested for. You need to keep eating gluten throughout the diagnostic process. Then there is wheat allergy, also easily tested for. Then ,there is some bullshit which the fraus and their blogs call 'gluten intolerance' which - surprise! - they claim cannot be diagnosed, and indeed it cannot be, because, well, it doesn't exist. But it DOES help sell lots of niche food companies disgusting potato based pasta and faux bread products.

by Anonymousreply 50October 25, 2015 11:29 PM

Potato based pastas are great for those of us with FODMAPs intolerance though since potatos don't contain them and thus I won't blow out my rectum to enjoy a bowl of spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 51October 25, 2015 11:32 PM

Another thing that drives the 'gluten intolerance' myth is the new food fad 'Eat Clean' which is linked to companies which sell a gadget called a spiraliser which fraus are told to use to make curly bots of vegetable which are meant to replace pasta.

It's all nonsense. Gluten is an important protein and people who cut it out for fad reasons usually run low on B Vitamins and fibre very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 52October 25, 2015 11:33 PM

R51, thanks for sharing that shart-based info, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 53October 25, 2015 11:34 PM

[quote]Gluten is an important protein

For human health? No.

As for B vitamins and fibre: people who eat fish and leafy greens don't need to worry about those.

by Anonymousreply 54October 25, 2015 11:38 PM

The majority of people in South East Asia are lactose intolerant. That thing does exist, and is tested for by assessing the levels of hydrogen in the breath after lactose has been consumed.

by Anonymousreply 55October 25, 2015 11:39 PM

R54, if you have been diagnostically tested as having celiac disease, sure, stay off gluten, permanently. If you have been tested positive for a wheat allergy, yes, stop eating wheat.

But if you are just being a fucking MARY then there is no reason at all why you can't eat pasta, bread , etc, apart from your probable fear of carb face of course.

by Anonymousreply 56October 25, 2015 11:41 PM

'prophylactic shock'

OH, my aching sides!

by Anonymousreply 57October 25, 2015 11:43 PM

'My friend is going to Italy and wanted to know if Italian restaurants serve de caf coffee? I told her good luck'

Tell her Italy isn't Oklahoma and invite her to adjust her attitude accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 58October 25, 2015 11:44 PM

You missed the point r43. Nice job, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 59October 25, 2015 11:46 PM

[quote] Tell her Italy isn't Oklahoma

Which is less homophobic?

by Anonymousreply 60October 25, 2015 11:51 PM

[quote]If you could pack all of human history into one year: we've only been farming and eating grain since about yesterday, which is when we became shorter and fatter

Humans absolutely do not require grains---gluten-containing or not---to be healthy. To argue otherwise flies in the face of evolution.

If you want to eat it though, fine. Grain products are delicious, I admit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 25, 2015 11:54 PM

[quote]Gluten-free shit is just a trendy "look at meeeeeee" moment for people in need of attention. We've become a world of attention whores.

R59 - THIS isn't the point dear... I actually did address the point (re: spaghetti squash that restaurateurs could easily make, as I said). Your quote does not address the point, nor is it accurate.

by Anonymousreply 62October 25, 2015 11:59 PM

If you have celiac disease then it's valid. That's the point, hon. Everything else is attention whoring just as you are doing, r62

by Anonymousreply 63October 26, 2015 12:02 AM

"spaghetti squash that restaurateurs could easily make"

Great, sweetie. Maybe restaurants don't want to make it. The world doesn't revolve around you and your needs. You must be a millennial.

by Anonymousreply 64October 26, 2015 12:06 AM

Spaghetti squash is nasty.

by Anonymousreply 65October 26, 2015 12:07 AM

I also don't think it's that easy to make in bulk. Don't you need to steam it and scoop as opposed to just boiling pasta?

by Anonymousreply 66October 26, 2015 12:09 AM

I don't think I'd buy a diet book written by this guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 26, 2015 12:59 AM

Or this guy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 26, 2015 1:10 AM

We stopped eating gluten in our house about a year ago after reading the Grain Brain and Wheat Belly books. Debate the science all you want but my partner, a phd biologist, looked at the referenced papers and agreed with the science. That having been said, anyone who is not celiac should not be overly rigid with the omission of gluten from the diet. We eat bread if offered at a dinner party, we continue to buy bottled condiments, etc. The negative effects of gluten in those not allergic are culumative, stemming from the low, constant inflammation of the lining of the gut. You can have it occasionally and still be fine. R68 / R69 if the only argument I had against science was to comment on the looks of two scientists, then I'd keep my mouth shut. You probably also deny climate change every time it snows.

by Anonymousreply 69October 26, 2015 1:28 AM

I became lactose intolerant in my 40's. Now if I want ice cream, I have to consume it at home because I need to be close to a bathroom for about four hours afterwards. And it's not one fart -- it's hideous cramps and projectile diarrhea. Trust me, it's not worth it. I'd kill for a hot fudge sundae, but it's not worth it. I also developed a sudden allergy to olives and olive oil around the same time. Partook of a large antipasto platter one day and ended up in the ER in anaphylactic shock within a half hour. My throat just closed right up. I carry an epipen these days. It's a helluva nuisance.

by Anonymousreply 70October 26, 2015 1:32 AM

"Looks" is what you took from the link at R68, r69? And climate change is the domain of the Right, the market that devours this nonsense because they can't stop stuffing their toothless maws with bacon.

Good job.

by Anonymousreply 71October 26, 2015 1:35 AM

R70 lactaid capsules don't work?

The reverse happened to me... I was lactose intolerant, but ok with yogurt and cheese (not milk or ice cream)...then over time, it sort of went away. I have no idea how that happened, since it's usually in the reverse as your case.

I think I still have lactaid capsules from a few years ago at the back of my pantry.

by Anonymousreply 72October 26, 2015 1:36 AM

My husband has IBS and is lactose intolerant, both diagnosed at the same time. He also gets terrible cramps if he eats too much gluten, like having bread or pasta more than once or twice a week. If he limits consumption to a small amount every now and then it's OK, more than that and he's crippled with pain. It's not an imaginary "I'm special" thing, he's genuinely in pain for hours. When we eat out he just orders something like steak or seafood and he never, ever has beer. I'd doubt anyone else knows about his stomach problems because we just never make an issue of it.

by Anonymousreply 73October 26, 2015 2:02 AM

R68, thanks for posting. This is all literally, a crock of shit.

by Anonymousreply 74October 26, 2015 2:04 AM

R71 , I was mistaken. I was referring to R67 when I mentioned judging on looks. As for the article at R68 , call me skeptical but I have a hard time taking my science from articles written by someone with a phd in divinity (with a concentration in Chinese philosophy!) who JUST HAPPENED to have published a book the month before that tries to poke holes in the idea of gluten intolerance. Also New York magazine is not what I would call a journal of note.

by Anonymousreply 75October 26, 2015 2:31 AM

I've tried Lactaid, and different lactose pills and they have no effect. I can handle small amounts of dairy, like milk in my coffee, but that's about it. Also, curiously, I can handle olive oil if it's been cooked (like something sauteed in olive oil) but not uncooked (like in a salad dressing or antipasto platter). But I don't dare eat even the smallest amount of an actual olive.

by Anonymousreply 76October 26, 2015 3:03 AM

R76, do you know what I is about olives that you react to? I have to think it's Omega 2 fatty acid which is only found in olives and shark. I believe in olive oil cooking denatures the fatty acid chain but I am not sure about that.

by Anonymousreply 77October 26, 2015 3:07 AM

Folks unable to digest fats/oils? You may just be getting old. (Raises hand.)

I can't digest fatty foods or oils as well now (upper 40s) as I could in my younger years. Purely plant-based (i.e., olive oil) OR animal -- doesn't matter, too much overwhelms me. Not an allergy, for me at least. Just life...

by Anonymousreply 78October 26, 2015 3:14 AM

Thank you, r78.

by Anonymousreply 79October 26, 2015 3:31 AM

Back in the early 00s I knew someone who actually had celiac sprue, which is the old name for gluten allergy. The poor guy was wasting away. Nobody could figure out why. He got this big cancer work up -- nothing. He finally went to a GI doctor who diagnosed it.

I crack up at these fat people who claim to have gluten intolerance. No, hon. You don't.

Then there's my kooky neighbor who claims that taking gluten out of her diet was like a miracle cure for all her aches and pains. Yet she still complained of aches, pains and tiredness all gbe time.

by Anonymousreply 80October 26, 2015 4:04 AM

Not all celiac patients are gaunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 26, 2015 4:18 AM

Thank you, that's interesting, r77, but I don't see how it changes anything for me. I still have an anaphylactic reaction to olives.

by Anonymousreply 82October 26, 2015 4:58 AM

R68: From that article

[quote]Alan Levinovitz is an assistant professor of religion at James Madison University.

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 83October 26, 2015 5:32 AM

'Partook of a large antipasto platter one day and ended up in the ER in anaphylactic shock'

by Anonymousreply 84October 26, 2015 8:33 AM

R83, at least religious people have an excuse to insist that bread *must* be healthy and *can't* be unhealthy---their religious texts say so. But what about those who believe in evolution and claim the same thing? The cognitive dissonance must be something fierce.

by Anonymousreply 85October 26, 2015 9:33 AM

Why, r84? Five of us went to lunch at an Italian restaurant and ordered the large antipasto platter to share. Every item on the plate was either prepared with or preserved in olive oil. We had done this before and I'd never had a problem. About ten-fifteen minutes in my throat closed up and I could barely breathe. They called 911, the paramedics came, gave me an injection of epinephrine which helped, put an oxygen mask on me and insisted on taking me to the ER. There they gave me a second shot of epinephrine and within an hour or so I was back to normal. The whole thing was pretty scary.

by Anonymousreply 86October 26, 2015 2:41 PM

I was only teasing, R86. I'm glad you're ok.

by Anonymousreply 87October 26, 2015 2:45 PM

If you can't digest fats, you may have a gall bladder problem.

by Anonymousreply 88October 26, 2015 3:50 PM

Your doctor co-authored a book with this guy, yet your only issue is with New York magazine and its writer's degree.

Oh, DL. Thank you for the amusement on a shitty Monday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 26, 2015 7:44 PM

This Italian restaurateur in S.F. told Yelpers to fuck off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 5, 2020 2:43 AM

If you have an ounce of common sense and one good friend you don't need a gluten analysis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91April 5, 2020 3:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!