Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jeb's collapse is complete. He'll never be President.

"Bush slashing spending, shifting staff amid campaign woes"

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush is drastically slashing campaign spending, including an across-the-board pay cut for staff, and focusing more narrowly on early states, as the one-time front-runner seeks to salvage his bid for the GOP nomination.

The moves will reduce the campaign's payroll by 40 percent, while also cutting travel costs by 20 percent and eliminating extraneous overhead spending. Most campaign officials were told of the cost-cutting on Friday.

The changes mark a significant setback for a campaign that spent months building a large operation, but there are no signs Bush is on the verge of withdrawing from the race.

During an event Friday at Regent University in Virginia, Bush said the moves will allow his campaign to operate "lean and mean" going forward. Asked whether the changes signaled trouble for his White House hopes, he said, "It means I have the ability to adapt."

The former Florida governor - a son and brother of former presidents - has been under pressure from supporters to revamp his campaign as the early voting contests draw closer. The first-to-vote Iowa caucuses take place 100 days from Friday.

Despite financial and organizational advantages, Bush has struggled to break out of a crowded Republican field so far dominated by unorthodox candidates, including billionaire Donald Trump and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson.

The changes predominantly impact staff at Bush's Miami headquarters. Only about 25 percent of campaign staff will remain in Florida. Another one-fourth of the staff was already in early voting states and the remaining Bush aides will either be offered jobs there or other posts at reduced salaries, according to a campaign memo.

Campaign officials said the changes would allow Bush to bolster his resources in early voting states, particularly New Hampshire. Officials also suggested that by shifting staff out of Miami, Bush can make more and longer trips to New Hampshire, as well as Iowa, South Carolina and Nevada.

"We are moving our resources into the states to ensure that voters in primary and caucus states are introduced to his record and vision for the future," Bush spokeswoman Kristy Campbell said.

It's unknown how many of Bush's Miami staff will accept positions elsewhere.

The narrower focus on the early contests is a strategic shift for the Bush campaign, which has been spending money and time in states that vote later in the primary cycle. It suggests the campaign feels increased pressure to have a strong showing in one of the first four states or risk not being able to remain competitive.

Bush officials acknowledged that the changes reflect a campaign landscape that looks far different than what they originally expected. Trump's unexpected rise has pulled attention away from other candidates and revealed deep voter frustration with Washington and experienced politicians.

Bush's campaign has urged supporters to be patient, pointing to its large organization and heavily funded super PAC as signs their operation is built to last through a long campaign. The campaign and super PAC have been spending heavily on television advertisements in early voting states, but so far there is little sign that his standing in the race is significantly improving.

While Bush's super PAC remains heavily funded, his campaign fundraising slowed in recent months. He reported collecting $13.4 million between July 1 and Sept. 30, less than Carson, who led the field with about $20 million. Bush ended September with about $10 million in cash.

While Bush has benefited from a traditional fundraising style that his father and brother perfected - even inheriting many of the same money-raisers - his campaign has struggled to capture the power of harvesting small contributions over the Internet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 28, 2020 8:47 AM

Bush has launched a terrible campaign. He is a terrible candidate. He does not have what it takes. It's not so much his connection to George W, but his insistence on defending his rotten presidency.

Any electable candidate that was George Ws brother would have said when asked about Gw, would have responded, 'Yes, 9/11 happened on my brother's watch, but I am not my brother and this will not be my brother's campaign 2.0. Next question.'

He could only say that if he didn't have the same yokels working for him that worked for Gw.

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2015 1:20 PM

Assuming he does collapse, who's getting the nomination? Carson and Trump can't be serious candidates considering how off putting they are to independents. Rubio?

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2015 1:28 PM

They are all horrible options, r2.

Bush seemed to be the only one who was actually capable of running the country. Not saying that he would be good at it, but at least he wouldn't "wreck the ship."

All the others would destroy this country.

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2015 1:40 PM

Two clowns manage to collapse a "mainstream" candidate's campaign? What kind of rinky dink operation is the GOP? Worse, the mainstream GOP leadership haven't shown their leading candidate, Trump, any love and respect.

Hahahahahahhahahahahaha. Dumbnasses. They are going to get what they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2015 1:40 PM

WHET Kasich?

The GOP in my state all hot for Kasich.

Bush thought the he could overcome the family baggage and he is finding out WAY TOO MANY voters are still extremely pissed about his brother's presidency.

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2015 1:45 PM

I was shocked at how inept Bush comes across. A national spotlight is too brutal for the "smart" Bush to withstand.

BTW, was that Noell I heard? Is she on another break from her desk? I think she's braying for a free ciggie. Or was it crack?

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2015 1:55 PM

Viewed from one perspective the clown car that is the rethug presidential race is entertaining.

Viewed from another, it's ultimately detrimental to the overall political process.

It would be much better if real issues were being discussed on both sides, rather than contests on who can bash dems more. Wouldn't it be better to discuss foreign policy and the ongoing wars, the economy, taxes rather than screaming a populist tax the rich (which is no more likely to bring prosperity than it's ridiculous polar opposite trickle down theory from the right), the shrinking middle class?

Wouldn't a real debate on national security vs. privacy contribute more? Climate change and sustainability in water manangement, agri-business?

A legitimate rethug candidate would force BOTH parties to articulate real differences in policy which would be important to all of us. The only value that Trump has provided is to provide lip-service to the issue that both sides are beholden to interest groups by accepting donation (Trump called for the other rethugs to renounce super pacs).

Bush's candidancy SHOULD have brought the question of the ongoing wars in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan into the forefront of the political discourse by virtue of their having been started by the last rethug president, his brother. It's unfortunate that it hasn't.

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2015 1:58 PM

R2 It's probably Rubio. The Republicunt cabal knows Trump will be a zero with certain demos(women and Hispanics) so they will send out operatives to disrespect him on cable news. It would be fun to see two cunts run against each other like Hil and Trump. It will be comedy gold. R3 Bush would be competent but most Freepers are tired of the name Bush especially after Dubya. It is kind of similar to the Dems who gravitate to Sanders because of his honesty and sincerity. Certain Dems are sick of the Clinton name and Hil's utter bullshit. At Obama tried to tell the truth most of the time and another Clinton would be lies,lies and more lies.

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2015 1:58 PM

The media really, really pushed him.

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2015 2:22 PM

[quote]Not saying that he would be good at it, but at least he wouldn't "wreck the ship."

Bush would be just as bad or worse than Trump, Carson, et al. Anyone saying otherwise is a fool. He would indeed "wreck the ship."

by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2015 2:32 PM

Thank you, OP, for proper deployment of a classic DL title.

The news itself couldn't be more delicious.

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2015 2:38 PM

I agree R10. I'm not always thrilled with the big debts Dems run up either but Bush presidencies always end up "wrecking the ship". Where has R3 been the past 25+ years?

by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2015 2:39 PM

GOP - a complete mess. Oh yeah!

by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2015 2:58 PM

Rubio is is a weasel, but will continue to rise. Cruz is waiting for a Trump collapse, awaiting his supporters.

As much as I have disagreements with John Kasick and Chris Cristie, they are basically sane, capable of working with the opposition on some issues, have executive experience as well or better than JEB, and could attract some independents later on.

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2015 3:27 PM

[quote]and could attract some independents later on.

Why is this a good thing? I want them to nominate a crazy so it's easier for the Dems.

by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2015 3:31 PM

John McCain's campaign also "collapsed," at a later stage than this, and he went on to win the nomination. I don't think Jeb is out of it quite yet.

If only because I can't imagine the Republican establishment enthusiastically supporting anyone else left in the race.

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2015 3:43 PM

He doesn't really want the job. He's only running because it's expected of him and he feels, like daddy and brother George, that he's entitled to it. But unlike his dad he doesn't have the political skill to work it on his own, and unlike brother George he has no potential as a sock puppet front man to be run from behind the scenes. For all his breeding he's just another porcine mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2015 3:44 PM

Bar @R17, give the poor boy a break.

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2015 4:15 PM

I don't want a Repug in The White House. I find Bush rather lackluster; however, I certainly do not want Rubio's star rising if Bush is in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2015 5:14 PM

I don't want the GOP back, but the thought of Hillary depresses me.

Haven't we learned from the ID politics mistake named Obama?

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2015 5:17 PM

My problem with Dems hoping the GOP nominates a very disdainful candidate assuming the individual would be easier to beat; that's taking a big risk.

While I am not planning to vote for a GOP nominee at this point, I do recognize some are worse than others.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2015 5:29 PM

It's going to be Mitt Romney.

The GOP is keeping him out of the spotlight until the last minute so that Romney can't make any "47%" bloopers on the campaign trail.

by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2015 5:36 PM

[quote] Haven't we learned from the ID politics mistake named Obama?

Nope.

Obama's been quite successful.

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2015 5:39 PM

Yeah -- I am sensing there might be a GOP surprise -- sort of like Jimmy Carter was for the Dems in 1976.

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2015 5:40 PM

Jeb¡ really, really does not want to be president.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2015 5:40 PM

Someone turn off the bot at r23. Just because Jews are happy doesn't mean O was good.

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2015 5:40 PM

[quote] While I am not planning to vote for a GOP nominee at this point,

Meaning you may vote for a GOP nominee in the future.

What the fuck are you doing here?

This is a gay, politically progressive board. We don't need faux-gay concern fraus making fools of yourselves here.

You've got plenty of places on the Internet to do that.

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2015 5:42 PM

Oh, I get it. It's the messageboard antisemite playing games.

Heil, Hitler

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2015 5:44 PM

R22 Could be the result at a deadlock GOP convention. My theory is that Tump and Carson will both have under 50% of the delegates, but together be around 50%. A lot of bargaining will happen with those having fewer delegates. Get popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2015 5:44 PM

R27 old alone queen has her panties in a waddle. Show us your certificate of site ownership? Didn't think so and doubt you are even a paid member considering you are jobless. You misinterpret and make assumptions. You are not mentally healthy, dear, or shall I say troll? A frau would scare the shit out of you. Did one beat you up in grade school?

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2015 5:56 PM

A brokered convention would be fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2015 5:57 PM

I agree with R14. Whether or not you agree with any of their policies, Kasich and Christie aren't loons. Depending on how they run their campaigns--which is very iffy, considering that they both a temper problem and don't realize how offensive that is to many voters-- either one could end up with the nomination. Certainly, it isn't hard to see K or C as the candidate, whereas that slimy Cruz has zero chance.

But the latest news from Bush is that his campaign is cutting way back on everything because he's running out of funds. That really is the kiss of death. If the rest of the cronies and one per cent do not see him as viable, then nobody will: his only support, really, is the oligarchs who run things on the right. And they have deserted him.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2015 6:19 PM

Jeb is/was running due directly from family pressure. I've never perceived even the slightest hint of personal enthusiasm or drive on his part. Much different from Biden's personal pursuit he chose (wisely) to relinquish. Jeb's attempt was meant to bring some kind of honor and respect to the Bush family legacy. They also magnificently overestimated the Bush name and within their bubble, imagined supporters out of national pride for war, war, war.

I'm deeply concerned Carson could be the nominee and the GOP voters turn out that vote. Probably unrealistic against Hillary for a win.

Anyone that would vote for any of the possible GOP candidates given the current state of worldwide turmoil is asking for disaster. The potential for dire increased turmoil for generations to come is upon us.

An experienced and tough as nails leader is required. That is Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2015 6:26 PM

Being a fat fuck who would close down a bridge just because someone didn't give them an endorsement isn't loony?

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2015 6:58 PM

[quote]Assuming he does collapse, who's getting the nomination? Carson and Trump can't be serious candidates considering how off putting they are to independents. Rubio?

I'm tanned, rested, and ready!

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2015 7:02 PM

I worry about Rubio. He can fool a lot of people. He would draw independents and Hispanics.

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2015 7:15 PM

NEVER FORGET.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2015 7:17 PM

Closing down that bridge was vindictive and petty and destructive. There was nothing loony about it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2015 7:29 PM

[quote]There was nothing loony about it.

Yes, there was.

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2015 7:34 PM

Christie would have a hard time carrying his own state. He's not a loony but he's a grasping opportunist and he's wrung NJ dry.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2015 8:25 PM

What about me?

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2015 8:29 PM

As Trump's numbers decline, and will continue to dwindle, watch him become more unhinged and continue with increased attacks that will create distractions for the GOP candidates.

I've always maintained he has dirt on many and won't be afraid to use it. Even as he loses further credibility, he won't care and will become more unfiltered. He isn't interested in going after Hilary as much as going after his direct rivals that threaten him.

by Anonymousreply 42October 24, 2015 9:05 PM

Like Cuomo, his fellow governor across the Hudson, Christy is unhinged, petty and vindictive. Politically, he's gone about as fer as he can go.

by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2015 9:23 PM

R22 OOPSIE! Willard ALREADY stepped in it this week.

He embraced Obamacare one day and took it back the next!

Question: How can you turn your back on your own child?

Answer: If you're Mitt it's easy to do.

Romney IS the father of Obamacare!

HRC would beat him with her hands tied behind her back!

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2015 9:24 PM

The world situation is troubled., Hillary has foreign policy experience, whether,one looks favorable at her record or not. Only a couple of the GOP candidates have any substantive experience in foreign relations. I mean looking beyond some committee appointment and a few travel junkets. Obama, had on the job training with this and it was evident early on. People vote largely on domestic concerns, but handling foreign matters is critical. .

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2015 10:01 PM

[quote]Jeb is/was running due directly from family pressure.

Well not from Bar! She said it best on Oprah a few years ago, the American public has been "Bushed". He would have to be an extremely dynamic and charismatic individual to erase the Bush fatigue that Americans will have for years and years to come. And he aint.

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2015 10:28 PM

I don't think Daddy Bush is happy that his little boy Jeb is losing to the likes of Donald Trump. I think Daddy will be calling in some favors very soon. Maybe Donald Trump will be having a "tragic accident" in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 47October 24, 2015 11:05 PM

I always got the impression that Jeb was daddy's favorite and W was mommy's boy.

by Anonymousreply 48October 24, 2015 11:07 PM

He has zero charisma. He's bland, boring and zzzzzzzzzz when I listen to him.

by Anonymousreply 49October 24, 2015 11:11 PM

It's already happening, R47. This is from a fluff piece that the Times published today titled 'Bush at 91: Irritated and Invigorated by ’16 Race.'

[quote]This weekend, generations of Bush loyalists planned to descend on a Houston hotel for a gathering for Jeb Bush’s campaign, featuring both the 41st and 43rd presidents. Strategists were eager to reassure them and highlight the campaign’s relative organizational strength, fund-raising capacity and ability to endure a delegate battle that could last well into spring.

And yes, Trump is annoying him.

[quote]And their father has been highly irritated by Mr. Trump’s ridicule. The former reality TV star has in recent weeks taunted both former President George W. Bush and Jeb over the Sept 11 attacks.

[quote]“He is throwing shoes at the TV when his son gets attacked and insulted by our favorite candidate,” Jeb Bush joked, referring to his father and Mr. Trump, at a campaign stop in New Hampshire.

[quote]“They’re all challenged by what’s going on,” Andrew Card said about the Bush family, referring to the “roller-coaster ride” of a campaign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 24, 2015 11:14 PM

[quote] “They’re all challenged by what’s going on,” Andrew Card said about the Bush family, referring to the “roller-coaster ride” of a campaign.

That family is challenged, all right.

by Anonymousreply 51October 25, 2015 1:12 AM

I'm drinking your koolaid r8!

by Anonymousreply 52October 25, 2015 1:28 AM

Jeb! is flummoxed by questions he should expect -- forget how he handles the unexpected ones. Thin-skinned, tired, and much more conservative than his moderate act suggests. Does not have a well-behaved or classy family. Glad to see him go. Say what you will about Trump, he has accelerated the expulsion of drippy, dopey GOP candidates from the race.

by Anonymousreply 53October 25, 2015 2:07 AM

Are the Bushes that deluded that they think 9/11 can't stick to W.? W himself seemed to understand he'd fucked up as President.

by Anonymousreply 54October 25, 2015 2:08 AM

Jeb would be on a failing path even if Trump was not in the race.

Jeb's role in the 2000 Bush-Gore saga in Florida left the impression that he was not above hanky-panky.

by Anonymousreply 55October 25, 2015 12:05 PM

[quote]eb¡ really, really does not want to be president.

Ridiculous. He absolutely wants to be president. He just has no use for the nomination process -- especially as he was expecting a coronation.

by Anonymousreply 56October 25, 2015 12:55 PM

[quote] He absolutely wants to be president. He just has no use for the nomination process -- especially as he was expecting a coronation.

This really is the situation.

Nobody expected Donald Trump to be doing so well, much less be taken seriously.

Jeb Bush got in the race, because he expected to cruise to the nomination based on his name and his connections, and most of all, his big money donors.

The problem is that in this election, there is a HEAVILY anti-establishment sentiment, which is why Trump, Carson, and Sanders are doing so well.

It's a very unusual time, and the poll numbers are reflecting this.

Voters are sick and tired of Washington gridlock, and they're hoping that an outsider can fix the problem.

Unfortunately, nothing will fix this problem as long as one party holds the Presidency and another party holds Congress.

We are in the age of unreasonableness, and neither side is willing to give an inch.

Voters feel that a Clinton or Bush victory would just bring more of the same, and they're pretty much right.

[quote] I worry about Rubio. He can fool a lot of people.

Rubio is the sneakiest fork-tongued snake that I have ever seen in my life.

That son-of-a-bitch shows up for his JOB only 45% of the time, and then has the nerve to stand on the House floor and make a speech about how Federal government workers who don't do their jobs, should be fired.

Yes.... he stood their with his terrible voting record and absenteeism known to pretty much everyone, and then gave a speech about how people like himself should be FIRED for not doing their jobs. Well that is, everyone EXCEPT for him.

He is a low down dirty dog of a hypocrite, and if he ever became President, it would mean IMMINENT DISASTER for this country.

And I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 57October 25, 2015 1:26 PM

As of today the odds of becoming the Republican nominee, according to PredictWise:

Marco Rubio - 35%, Jeb Busth - 20%, Donald Trump - 18%

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 25, 2015 2:18 PM

[quote]Jeb Bush got in the race, because he expected to cruise to the nomination based on his name and his connections, and most of all, his big money donors.

He succumbed to Hillary 2008 Inevitability Disease.

by Anonymousreply 59October 25, 2015 3:00 PM

Now the donor class is starting to tiptoe away from him. Keep talking about W while you dig your grave John Ellis. Trump is handing him the shovels.

by Anonymousreply 60October 25, 2015 4:06 PM

Chupame.

by Anonymousreply 61October 25, 2015 4:08 PM

Canadians are trying not to gloat but this is our new Prime Minister.....

[btw, Stephen Harper is now available if you need a viable Republican. Yes, he turned the Canadian Conservative party into a cross between the Tea Party and Scientology, but that's got to be better than Trump, right?]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 25, 2015 5:36 PM

Fiorina seems to have dropped off considerably. She became the darling after the debates and now barely a mention anywhere.

At least with Jeb there's still talk about him. Granted, it's about how awful he's doing, but at least it's talk. Fiorina...crickets.

by Anonymousreply 63October 25, 2015 5:39 PM

It's very telling that Jeb was considered the "smart one" - and he really isn't. Of course, intelligence in the Republican party is hard to come by - or honesty.

by Anonymousreply 64October 25, 2015 5:46 PM

Jeb Bush as President?

We'll see the 3rd coming first!

by Anonymousreply 65October 25, 2015 6:20 PM

Carson won't get 10% of the vote in the primaries. Now that they are sure Hillary will win, Rubio and Fiorina will come to the fore.

by Anonymousreply 66October 25, 2015 8:42 PM

When will Republicans learn that the guys they vote for in the primaries will never win the general election?? You'd think it would have sunk in by now.

by Anonymousreply 67October 25, 2015 10:02 PM

Wondering the same thing about Fiorina R63. Maybe she's running out of money.

by Anonymousreply 68October 25, 2015 10:06 PM

Jeb was just saying he has "a lot cooler things to do" than be "demonized" in this race.

So go do them, Jeb! Groom dogs, ladle chum, or clean the bathrooms at the Marlins stadium.

by Anonymousreply 69October 25, 2015 10:25 PM

Does anyone think Mittens is just waiting for the carnage to end before he jumps in to save the GOP?

I wouldn't put it past him to go for a third try.

by Anonymousreply 70October 26, 2015 3:01 AM

And you people should be GRATEFUL that a great man like my husband is willing to do this for you.

by Anonymousreply 71October 26, 2015 3:17 AM

JEB IS A MESS!

by Anonymousreply 72November 28, 2020 7:34 AM

As hilariously entertaining as that little segment of the circus was, I'm so grateful it's post-election 2020 as I type this.

by Anonymousreply 73November 28, 2020 8:33 AM

Everyone, don't forget to "FF" the troll at R72 who keeps bumping old political threads from 2015-16

by Anonymousreply 74November 28, 2020 8:36 AM

What is it about AA that keeps someone bumping five year old threads, even after we've told him how much we hate him for doing it? Talk about a dry drunk.

by Anonymousreply 75November 28, 2020 8:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!