Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does The LGBT Community Have Ownership Over The Word 'Partner'?

Many assume "partner" means a same-sex relationship -- but does it have to?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2020 11:03 AM

No the community doesn't. Its not a big deal. Same sex marrieds can say husband and wife -- and they did even before the SCOTUS ruling.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2015 3:13 AM

OP:

All the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner,

They'd be your partner and . . .

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2015 3:21 AM

I've noticed some strait couples, usually the ones that claim their 'partner' is also their 'best friend',use the word more than husband and wife. I also think that opposite sex 'partners' can never truly be 'friends', because the genders are just so different. They share very little in common.

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2015 3:29 AM

Straight people can call each other "partner," but unless they own a business together, why would they want to?

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2015 9:37 AM

Of course we don't. Lots of straight people use the term for the "significant other".

Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2015 10:32 AM

It's very common among straight couples in the UK and Ireland, especially with slightly older couples who have been married before.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2015 11:54 AM

R6, I've heard it used on news reports and TV shows from the UK as well. I've encountered it a few times in the US, but it's not especially common here. Regardless, I don't think it matters at all unless you're calling your male partner your "wife," or your female partner your "husband," which is really odd and off-putting.

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2015 12:03 PM

I would never say “partner.” It sounds like something you’re ashamed of.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2020 2:10 AM

Jesus Christ OP, the pic does nothing to dispel gay stereotypes with those two hair styles! Yikes!

And that kitchen tile in the background is atrocious! Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2020 2:17 AM

R6 I was going to mention that. I watch a lot of UK TV shows, and they are always using partner, especially the soaps such as Coronation Street and Emmerdale.

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2020 2:25 AM

[quote]Why don't Americans use it so generally? [bold]Probably because gay and lesbian folk started using it, and no one wanted to be mistaken for gay/lesbian,[/bold] so they avoid it--though the official story is that it 'sounds too business-y'.

Best best, America!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2020 2:33 AM

I really don't care, do u? But I meant to write 'be best'.

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2020 2:35 AM

[quote]I've noticed some strait couples

Oy vey!

by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2020 2:41 AM

[quote] I've noticed some strait couples

Really? I would have thought George Strait would call his wife, wife. I didn't know he was so woke.

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2020 2:47 AM

If a couple is half Strait, it might be gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2020 2:53 AM

Maybe the area where two straits meet is a "strait couple". Like where Haro Strait meets the Strait of Georgia in British Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2020 3:29 AM

We’re married & use partner. As a joke sometimes husband. On here i say bf because it’s quicker to type

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2020 3:42 AM

R8 thank you for bumping this 2015 thread with that fascinating reply - hope you die in a grease fire

by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2020 3:45 AM

Now that it's common for gay people to say "my husband" or "my wife", "partner" will revert to having no implication except "we're together and we're not married".

by Anonymousreply 19July 6, 2020 3:59 AM

I don’t get why straights say it.

by Anonymousreply 20July 6, 2020 4:12 AM

Howdy pardner

by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2020 4:13 AM

Is this for real? Of course there is no ownership from anywhere over the use of 'partner'. How ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 22July 6, 2020 10:53 AM

R20 it's really not difficult, at all, to think why straight people might use it, especially if they are not married (where they would normally use wife/husband). People of a certain age can often find 'boyfriend' or 'girlfriend' immature terms, what do you think would be an alternative if not partner?

Not to mention it's a catch-all for every kind of romantic attachment, like if you were to send an invitation with "Partners welcome" rather than saying "Wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends welcome". It is entirely common to use 'partners' to refer to any and all combination - regardless of orientation. If you have never heard of this then I think you might need to broaden your worldview a little.

by Anonymousreply 23July 6, 2020 10:57 AM

"Partner" means "partner" in Australia. It bears no weight on whether it's a gay or straight relationship.

What a dumb thread.

by Anonymousreply 24July 6, 2020 11:01 AM

Yeah, it was a troll thread in 2015, it's a troll thread today.

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2020 11:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!