Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Singers who made their careers by singing cover songs

Celine Dion

Laura Branigan

Linda Ronstadt

Who else?

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2020 2:23 PM

Who cares

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2015 10:45 PM

Bette Midler

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2015 10:46 PM

Anne Murray!

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2015 10:46 PM

Bette Midler

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2015 10:47 PM

Who cares

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2015 10:51 PM

Whitney Houston Saving all my love for you Greatest Love of All All the Man I Need I Will Always Love You I'm Every Woman

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2015 8:55 AM

Tiffany

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2015 1:09 PM

Whitney Houston owns this fucking thread. The bulk of her discography is nothing but covers. Then again, she did most of those songs better than the original (except I'm Every Woman) and made them standards.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2015 1:12 PM

To be fair, most of Laura Branigan's were rewritten from European songs in other languages. Then others covered her songs, and oddly did a worse job on the song than she did, but had more success with it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2015 2:11 PM

Aretha.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2015 2:14 PM

Olivia Newton-John. I was amazed at how many of her album cuts were covers until I got older and realized they were sang first by someone else. I still prefer Olivia's version's though.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2015 2:53 PM

The best singers can make other people's songs their own. Aretha Franklin certainly falls in that category but so does Michael Buble.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2015 3:20 PM

Barbra Streisand owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2015 3:31 PM

Who really owns this thread: Whitney, Barbara or Aretha.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2015 5:17 PM

[quote] Olivia Newton-John. I was amazed at how many of her album cuts were covers until I got older and realized they were sang first by someone else. I still prefer Olivia's version's though.

That's not "making a career" on them, dear. That's called filler.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2015 5:26 PM

Not to defend Celine, but she's hardly made a career on covers. Not writing your own songs is very different than recording "cover versions."

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2015 5:27 PM

Linda Ronstadt was the Queen of dover songs.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2015 5:43 PM

Everybody used to sing covers of songs other people wrote before The Beatles came to America.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2015 5:50 PM

Frank Sshenatra

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2015 5:59 PM

R18, A cover is a song that someone else RECORDED first, and the Beatles had plenty of those on their early albums: Anna, Chains, Boys, A Taste of Honey, Kansas City...

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2015 6:06 PM

Those mop-topped muttonheads even sang our love song!

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2015 6:18 PM

The Beatles did nothing but cover songs for the first few years of their existence, and before the were even The Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2015 6:30 PM

What you guys fail to realize until 1965 it was very common for many singers to release the same song. Billboard and Cashbox were full of "wars" to see which version would go highest up the chart first.

This slowly died off by the middle 70s. Virtually every band was making "covers" of songs from previous years.

Songwriters as careers declined sharply in the late 70s, till now you have who? Dianne Warren, probably the last of the career songwriters and she has been rewriting the same song for the last 30 years.

Linda Ronstadt did a lot of covers and originals, but she stands out that all of her hit singles in the 70s were covers, except for "How Do I Make You," (which launched Billy Steinberg who also wrote, True Colors, Like A Virgin, So Emotional, The Eternal Flame, I Touch Myself, and many others)

Olivia Newton-John did a lot of covers early on as did everyone else, but her singles outside of "Come On Over," and "He Ain't Heavy...He's My Brother" were original. (One might include "Please Mr Please" but that was by her ex-boyfriend and no one heard it originally anyway).

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2015 8:46 PM

Donny Osmond....

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2015 9:51 PM

Bette Midler Owns This Thread

Her Greatest Hits Album is almost entirely covers: Hello In There, Do You Want To Dance, From A Distance, Chapel of Love, When A Man Loves A Woman, Miss Otis Regrets, Wind Beneath My Wings, Shiver Me Timbers, Friends, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, One For My Baby, In My Life

The entire Beaches and For The Boys albums

And of course the entire Peggy Lee and Rosemary Clooney albums

In addition, she covered: Old Cape Cod, For Free, Strangers in the Night, Under The Boardwalk, Night And Day, Every Road Leads Back To You, Just My Imagination and about 20 other songs I'm too tired to think of.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2015 11:19 PM

Who cares

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2015 11:36 PM

Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn" was not the original version. I just recently learned this.

by Anonymousreply 27December 9, 2020 4:44 AM

Every Elvis Impersonator would like to serenade you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 28December 9, 2020 4:56 AM

Cilla Black

by Anonymousreply 29December 9, 2020 5:32 AM

Manfred Mann

by Anonymousreply 30December 9, 2020 6:48 AM

David Lee Roth. And most of them were better (at least the ones with VH).

by Anonymousreply 31December 9, 2020 6:50 AM

Funny, R29.

by Anonymousreply 32December 9, 2020 12:47 PM

David Lee Roth's "I Ain't Got Nobody / Just a Gigolo" is not bad but it's a carbon copy of the Louis Prima version, even the scat.

by Anonymousreply 33December 9, 2020 12:50 PM

[quote]The Beatles did nothing but cover songs for the first few years of their existence

That's quite the exaggeration.

Their first album had these Lennon/McCartney originals:

I Saw Her Standing There, Please Please Me, Love Me Do, P.S. I Love You, and Do You Want to Know a Secret.

by Anonymousreply 34December 9, 2020 1:01 PM

Dusty Springfield

The Carpenters

Roberta Flack

Nina Simone

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2020 2:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!