Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why are there so many fucking THIEVES in Germany?

In the past 24 hours, both myself and my travel companion have had our phones stolen in plain sight. Yes, we are stupid for leaving them out of eye sight for a split second, but not even in the U.S. is someone brazen enough to take advantage of a split second distraction in order to swipe your phone.

In my case, it happened so fast that I saw the dude slipping it into his pocket. When I accused him, he denied, denied, denied... until some lovely high school girl offered me her phone and suggested that I use it to call my own.

This girl was savvy as shit. Like she had seen this movie a dozen times before. She was smirking and everything, basically winking at me.

Of course, immediately, the thief pulls my phone from his pocket and is all, "Is this your phone?" Like he just happened to remember he had an extra phone in his pocket that he had found hours before. Yes bitch, that's my phone that you just stole THREE SECONDS AGO.

by Anonymousreply 132June 10, 2020 6:23 AM

Because they lost The War?

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2015 8:01 PM

Gypsies or muslims

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2015 8:01 PM

If you're in a tourist area, it's no surprise. That's how some people make their living, ripping off tourists.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2015 8:05 PM

So you got your phone "stolen" by leaving it out of your eye sight "for a second..." and after it gets stolen your boyfriend does the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2015 8:10 PM

They're refugees and they need your phone to apply for their benefits so that they can send for their 8 wives and 43 children. Have a heart, dude!

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2015 8:12 PM

No, R4, my travel companion (who is female, not my boyfriend) had hers stolen yesterday at a U2 concert. My incident happened just this hour at a Burger King in the main shopping district in Cologne.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2015 8:17 PM

[quote] had hers stolen yesterday at a U2 concert

I think that's what we call "just deserts."

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2015 8:19 PM

Burger King?????? OP are you, well you know, one of us fatty Americans?

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2015 8:21 PM

You ate at Burger King in Cologne and you had to be tethered to your phone while you were there? This says more about you than the thieves.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2015 8:21 PM

There's an app called Lookout for IOS and Android that lets you make your stolen phone "scream". Thing is you have to get to a computer and log into your account. It also shows you where your phone is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2015 8:24 PM

Jesus Christ, visiting Germany and eating at Burger King. Any sympathy I might have had just vanished as quick as your phones.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2015 8:27 PM

Oh so what? It's Sunday night and that's all that was opened. If you've been anywhere besides your backyard you'd know that it's only in America where places are open 24/7. Nothing is open on Sunday here EXCEPT American places.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2015 8:36 PM

ALL of Europe is filled with thieves, pickpockets and hustlers.

IN the States you might get shot by a crazy person or a cop, in Europe you'll get your pocketbook stolen.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2015 8:36 PM

That's like going to McDonalds when you're in Paris or Rome.

You got off easy.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2015 8:39 PM

My experience in Europe is anyplace where there may be gypsies or rag heads is an area of thievery. It's creeping in here in the US with gypsy women begging for money with their drugged kid/kids on their lap. If we ever over turn the neutering laws we still stand a chance.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2015 8:41 PM

OP goes to New York and eats at the Olive Garden in Time's Square.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2015 8:44 PM

Gypsy trash. You think it's bad in Germany, go to France or Italy. Jesus Christ.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2015 8:48 PM

Gypsies and ragheads? Aren't you a lovely piece of shit, r15? Europe doesn't want you.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2015 8:50 PM

[quote] That's like going to McDonalds when you're in Paris or Rome.

As difficult as this may be to imagine there are those of us who don't give a fuck about the local cusine at home or when we travel.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2015 8:53 PM

This thread is making me hungry.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2015 8:56 PM

Sadly we can imagine it R19. You are uncultured trash, we all know uncultured trash. Just have to look at peopleofwalmart.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2015 8:59 PM

Well, at least it's not making you horny

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2015 8:59 PM

Gypsies. They're everywhere, and they're specialized in opportunistic thievery, like pickpocketing.

Now, the Albanian/ Moldovan/ Serbian gangs, they specialize in B&E burglary.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2015 9:02 PM

I'm shocked he didn't run off with your phone--what an inept thief.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2015 9:06 PM

Oh no - how could OP forsake the culinary wonders of Cologne?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2015 10:04 PM

Never in his life has r25 set foot in Cologne.

I was hoping OP had carelessly set down his phone while enjoying hot uncut German cock at one of Cologne's splendid glory holes. Aber nein,, Burger King.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2015 10:26 PM

The few times I've visited Europe, there were noticeable gypsies everywhere, especially in poorer places.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2015 10:58 PM

Gypsies/Roma are human parasites.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2015 11:36 PM

OP, it's just a bunch of jealous jerks who are jabbing you. They're stuck on their couch. Ignore them.

I'm guessing you are young, YES, people will steal your phones in a flash! Also the stool you're sitting on! They're reach into your pockets! You have to be careful, or expect to lose stuff.

Whenever I get into a jam, I just yell ""Nein!" It works everywhere. The US, Germany, Paris, doesn't matter. I have no idea why, maybe because I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs. that helps, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2015 11:47 PM

So what ethnicity WAS the thief, OP?

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2015 11:54 PM

[quote]They're stuck on their couch. Ignore them.

Exactly! They're not in fancy places like Germany eating at Burger King!!! They're also just jealous because they don't have dumb boyfriends who leave their cell phones unattended right after just having one stolen!!!!

by Anonymousreply 31October 18, 2015 11:59 PM

Exactly, R31, you nailed it!

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2015 12:03 AM

R31 you are so mean!

Just because you speak the truth doesn't make it any less mean.

Let people like the OP be outraged and angry and completely idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2015 12:08 AM

I was going to write something really awful and even by Dl standards it was too much. This is the first time I've ever censored myself here.

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2015 12:26 AM

Gypsy population, for some reason, have always abounded in Germany. No way these people were true Germans

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2015 12:29 AM

I'm sure that sounds better in the ooriginal German, r35.

by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2015 12:34 AM

Nein!

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2015 12:34 AM

I just spent two weeks in Frankfurt, and the main railroad station is just out of control with panhandlers. Most are gypsies, but there's more than a few drug addicts. It's so bad that they announced over the intercom that "an organized gang of beggars is now working inside the station." And God help you if you're Asian. They attack them like wolves going after a herd of sheep.

What I did notice was that the two gypsy women begging on the sidewalk both knocked off at 7pm sharp, and they didn't work weekends. Maybe it's a union thing?

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2015 12:35 AM

This is nothing new. It goes with being in Europe. Italy is even worse. But they don't have guns so it's a manageable annoyance.

by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2015 12:41 AM

Be thankful they didn't shove you into an oven and sprinkle you with ZyklonB.

by Anonymousreply 40October 19, 2015 12:45 AM

Did you kick him in the nuts? Punch his nose? Call the cops?

by Anonymousreply 41October 19, 2015 12:46 AM

[quote]Did you kick him in the nuts? Punch his nose? Call the cops?

Of course not. OP and his travel companion were too busy eating their Whoppers and leaving more phones out unattended.

by Anonymousreply 42October 19, 2015 12:55 AM

You got off easy op. They took one of my children!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 43October 19, 2015 1:06 AM

I had my phone stolen in a bar in Germany some years ago. It was definitely by an immigrant, but not a gypsy. A German friend of mine took an Albanian hustler home with him (I know) & was robbed...another friend had a laptop stolen from his living room as he slept. However, while petty crime happens everywhere, I think the problem is far worse in the touristy parts of Italy, Spain, maybe France. I let my guard down because I lived in Germany and felt safe, but when I traveled to cities like Barcelona or Rome I was much more cautious about falling prey to pickpockets, so I never had a problem.

by Anonymousreply 44October 19, 2015 1:14 AM

[quote]A German friend of mine took an Albanian hustler home with him (I know) & was robbed

Did he at least get some hot sex first?

by Anonymousreply 45October 19, 2015 1:16 AM

Regrettably, I must admit that the Burger King thief, while quite well-dressed, and quite the excellent actor, did not appear to an "ethnic German", as they say. I am not certain that he was Muslim or an Arab, nor am I certain what a gypsy or Roma looks like, but I can confirm that he was swarthy, dark haired, young, and actually very handsome.

My savior, the girl who offered me her phone, was blond haired and blue eyed.

by Anonymousreply 46October 19, 2015 1:20 AM

[quote]Be thankful they didn't shove you into an oven and sprinkle you with ZyklonB.

This made me laugh out loud, God help me.

by Anonymousreply 47October 19, 2015 1:23 AM

Are there many Jewish people in Germany nowadays? Someone I know's son took a job in Berlin. Sometimes I feel like saying well, you'll never see him again. (they are Jewish)

by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2015 1:24 AM

Well if it happened in Cologne it could have been nearly anyone. An immigrant, gypsy/roma, Turk or even a Native. Köln was once voted the most dishonest city in Germany, so I'd never set foot there. All the people from Köln I had to deal with tried to rip me off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2015 1:25 AM

It's all the Mussies aka "migrants".

by Anonymousreply 50October 19, 2015 1:29 AM

r48, modern Germany is home to about 230,000 Jews. The ethnic Germans don't bother them, but guess who does?

by Anonymousreply 51October 19, 2015 1:42 AM

So you pay for plane ticket to Germany and you dine at at Burger King? I don't get it. Cologne has some great restaurants and you default to BK because you knew the name? No wonder you were such an easy target.

by Anonymousreply 52October 19, 2015 1:49 AM

Oh you silly, silly, people. I can imagine why you go to Burger King, plus OP has written:

It's the only thing open, OP wrote, plus

You crave the familiar after a variety of foreign tastes.

Maybe it's affordable (though not my experience, I thought fast food in Europe was expensive.)

It's fast, and you're in a hurry.

Isn't that enough for one meal? OP didn't write that he was living off it for every meal!

Jeesh!

by Anonymousreply 53October 19, 2015 2:51 AM

Do they have the black Whopper that turns your poop green?

by Anonymousreply 54October 19, 2015 3:16 AM

Not everybody who travels gets off on new foods. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 55October 19, 2015 3:16 AM

OP/r46, r53, r55 Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to [write] and remove all doubt.

by Anonymousreply 56October 19, 2015 3:37 AM

They started two World Wars and murdered millions of Jews, homosexuals, and disabled people. Yet you have the nerve to complain about the theft of a few toys?

by Anonymousreply 57October 19, 2015 5:19 AM

horrid people. Even that language with all the gutteral "ch" sounds. Yuck. It is just so phlegmy and gross.

by Anonymousreply 58October 19, 2015 8:13 AM

Roma thieves are a plague all over Europe. And American tourists do stand out, making them an easy mark. At least in Germany, the cops may make an attempt hinder Roma thieves. In Italy and France, the cops stand by disinterested and watch while Roma rip off tourists. It seems that as long as the Roma only steal from tourists, the cops turn a blind eye.

by Anonymousreply 59October 19, 2015 8:38 AM

Which city in Germany, OP?

by Anonymousreply 60October 19, 2015 8:58 AM

For the well-travelled Cologne-dwellers, which restaurants would you recommend then? I go to Cologne once every two years thereabouts, so I'd like to know.

by Anonymousreply 61October 19, 2015 9:28 AM

r57 everyone who is responsible for that is now dead. You can't blame modern Germans for the sins of their ancestors. Should all white Americans in the year 2015 be held personally responsible for slavery? It's such a stupid, superficial argument.

by Anonymousreply 62October 19, 2015 12:28 PM

[quote]OP goes to New York and eats at the Olive Garden in Time's Square.

Where most diners know that it's spelled Times Square not Time's Square.

by Anonymousreply 63October 19, 2015 12:31 PM

I love the comments of the smart sophisticates who are putting down the OP for eating at Burger King. As the OP says further down—which the smart sophisticates seem to have not read—Europe is NOT the US, and the concept of late-night dining isn’t as embraced there as it is here. In Britain, for instance, the only restaurants open after 8 p.m. or so are very high-end establishments, tandooris and American fast-food chains like BK and KFC. “Family” restaurants such as Friendly’s, IHOP, etc., are nonexistent. I’d guess that the aforementioned smart sophisticates have never ventured abroad, or they wouldn’t make such stupid comments.

by Anonymousreply 64October 19, 2015 12:48 PM

[quote] R58: horrid people. Even that language with all the gutteral "ch" sounds. Yuck. It is just so phlegmy and gross

What a fascist bigoted thing to write. As for the language, it's ignorant, too. Unless in exaggerated form, in a crowded room for example, it sounds just like English.

This thread is filled with bike. What's with that? Layoff the Cheetos, people!

by Anonymousreply 65October 19, 2015 12:50 PM

R62, what R57 writes is actually how fascists think. It's ironic, I know. The Nazis blamed an entire group, the Jews, for their perception of the transgressions of a few Jews in particular. The reprehenhisible natire of "group-responsibility" was one of the central lessons of WWII, for those morons who weren't already aware that it was foul.

So modern day fascists blame today's German people, all of them, for what they see in black & white Pathé News Reels. It's simple, sloppy, fascist thinking. From the kind of people who blame Mexican-Americans who've been in the country for two generations and say that they're why we "fought the Nazi", as if they had a clue why we fought.

by Anonymousreply 66October 19, 2015 1:00 PM

R66 Wrong! Europeans - both East and West - have not suddenly abandoned 1,700 years of entrenched cultural bigotry and hatred, especially when it comes to the Jews. Ancient Jew hatred and its latest incarnation, Israel hatred, is thriving to such an extent that Jews are being harassed and attacked for no other reason than their cultural identity. Reminding Europeans of the extent and depth of their barbarity is therefore not unwarranted.

by Anonymousreply 67October 19, 2015 1:47 PM

Yeah, okay R64 so let's go ahead and dismiss that the OP and his "travel partner" are still both idiots for leaving their phones unattended... especially after one of theirs was already just stolen.

R31 had it right.

by Anonymousreply 68October 19, 2015 4:55 PM

R68 is obviously a thief of some sort, going out of his way to justify why it's okay to steal someone's phone? Jesus, I hope folks lock up everything in sight when that shady bitch comes around.

by Anonymousreply 69October 20, 2015 12:11 AM

R69 = Idiot with reading comprehension issues.

by Anonymousreply 70October 20, 2015 12:13 AM

LOL Europe is officially a shit hole

by Anonymousreply 71October 20, 2015 12:14 AM

I used to know a professional thief who said sometimes people share responsibility when their things get stolen. He pointed out a woman's purse that had been left hanging open on the back of her chair while she went to the rest room, her wallet in clear view.

Most people, especially after having an unattended cell phone stolen the day before, would exercise caution.

by Anonymousreply 72October 20, 2015 12:22 AM

[quote]Ancient Jew hatred and its latest incarnation, Israel hatred,

Oh, ok, right from the horses mouth. So Israel = Jews. Thanks for that, chief -- you've just given people carte blanche to hate on Jews whenever Israel does something horrible (which it does every 1.3 seconds).

by Anonymousreply 73October 20, 2015 12:32 AM

r73, Jew hating black!!!

by Anonymousreply 74October 20, 2015 12:59 AM

"...not even in the U.S. is someone brazen enough to take advantage of a split second distraction in order to swipe your phone."

Oh, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 75October 20, 2015 4:45 AM

[quote]So Israel = Jews

R73 really needs to get out of his mum's basement. Because that's EXACTLY what has been happening all over Europe for decades.

by Anonymousreply 76October 20, 2015 5:14 AM

Never see a BK in Germany except at the airport. All the currywurst places and street food vendors are open til sunrise, as are the pubs and clubs...

by Anonymousreply 77October 20, 2015 5:42 AM

So what about all the Jews who oppose Israel and Zionism? Noam Chomsky, Judith Butler, Stephen Fry, Ilan Pappe, Naomi Klein, Anna Baltzer, Avi Shlaim, Jeff Halper, Richard Silverstein, Max Blumenthal, David Sheen, Gideon Levy, Amira Hass, Richard Falk, Norman Finkelstein, Neturei Karta, Miko Peled, the late great Yehudi Menuhin etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 20, 2015 5:43 AM

[quote]That's like going to McDonalds when you're in Paris or Rome.

No, it really isn't. If we're honest German street food consists of 101 different sausages, random giant chunks of meat, disgusting pizza, and doner kebab. You don't go to Germany for the food. I don't see a huge drop off in my culinary experience if I choose a BK hamburger over eating currywurst off a paper plate with a toothpick.

Besides, BK and McDonalds have something else going for them, you can use their restrooms, a surprisingly big deal in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 79October 20, 2015 11:11 AM

R78 You mean ALL those enablers Jew haters love. "Ya see Jew, those two other Jews over there enable our Jew hatred. We have every right to our hatred because those Jews confirm it."

Much like Steppin' Fetchit, Amos and Andy pandering to racists and their racism. Or Jews converted to Catholicism in 15th century Spain, demonizing and haranguging Jews to prove their "worthiness" and "acceptability" to Catholics (who still hated them).

by Anonymousreply 80October 20, 2015 12:02 PM

^^^ haranguing^^^

by Anonymousreply 81October 20, 2015 12:04 PM

The OP has a point. Germany and Switzerland shut down. Try to find a restaurant open after 10pm. If you're hungry, that leaves fast food, ethnic food, in the shady districts where the young and shady hand out.

Also, yes, its probably gypsies. Once must be very attentive about property when moving about in Europe, at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 82October 20, 2015 12:10 PM

How did OP post on DL immediately after phone was stolen? Did he really bring a laptop to Burger King? Maybe a tablet?

by Anonymousreply 83October 20, 2015 12:11 PM

[quote]Once must be very attentive about property when moving about in Europe, ALWAYS.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 84October 20, 2015 12:13 PM

One not once. really fixed

by Anonymousreply 85October 20, 2015 12:21 PM

My favorite person in the story is the high school girl.

by Anonymousreply 86October 20, 2015 12:28 PM

Like we should listen to what Judith Butler has to say on anything...

by Anonymousreply 87October 20, 2015 12:30 PM

lol R25

by Anonymousreply 88October 20, 2015 12:30 PM

Leaving your smartphone out of sight in a tourist area ????? Trottel!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 89October 20, 2015 1:00 PM

Never mind just in a tourist area, you shouldn't leave your Smartphone out anywhere in public. Mine is always either in my pocket or in my hand if I'm in public, I never just leave it sitting on the table or something.

by Anonymousreply 90October 20, 2015 2:11 PM

[quote] In Britain, for instance, the only restaurants open after 8 p.m. or so are very high-end establishments, tandooris and American fast-food chains like BK and KFC.

8PM? When we you last in England, 1974?

by Anonymousreply 91October 20, 2015 6:20 PM

**Were** you last in England?

by Anonymousreply 92October 20, 2015 6:21 PM

R83, if you knew how to read you'd understand that the phone was recovered.

by Anonymousreply 93October 20, 2015 7:48 PM

[quote]if you knew how to read you'd understand that the phone was recovered.

Yes, it was recovered... after the OP left it unattended and it was stolen... right after his companion's phone was also just stolen.

Or... it was recovered after the OP left it unattended and then his companion proceeded to leave his own unattended and then was shocked it was stolen!!!

by Anonymousreply 94October 20, 2015 8:09 PM

[quote] Not everybody who travels gets off on new foods. Deal with it.

What's "new" about German food? It's meat and potatoes and harmless spätzle. Maybe the potatoes are in the form of pancakes, but they're delicious. You don't have to eat the cabbage. American food comes from Germany. Where do you think hamburger and frankfurter got their names?

by Anonymousreply 95October 20, 2015 8:27 PM

[quote] I don't see a huge drop off in my culinary experience if I choose a BK hamburger over eating currywurst off a paper plate with a toothpick.

This is why you're an idiot... and probably fat.

by Anonymousreply 96October 20, 2015 8:29 PM

Don't talk about the thieves, you'll hurt their feelings.

by Anonymousreply 97October 20, 2015 8:51 PM

You deserve it for misusing the reflexive pronoun "myself," OP.

by Anonymousreply 98October 20, 2015 9:39 PM

There is only one thief there, but he is very productive. I hear he's writing a book about it. Might go on to become Chancellor!

by Anonymousreply 99October 20, 2015 9:50 PM

R99 Oh he already is the Chancellor, but he knows how to disguise himself.

by Anonymousreply 100October 20, 2015 9:56 PM

r80, so Holocaust survivors like Suzanne Weiss, Hedy Epstein and Hajo Meyer only oppose Israel and Zionism so they can enable Jew-haters? No, they oppose Israel and Zionism because they are people of conscience who oppose all injustice.

by Anonymousreply 101October 20, 2015 9:59 PM

Don't try to talk sense into Israeli students who are paid by their government to propagandize for Israel on Internet forums. It's like trying to have an argument with a closed system. There is only room for their position.

It's funny the way they finesse this Jews and Israel thing. They really talk out of both sides of their mouth on it. On the one hand they claim that Jews equal Israel, and any Jew who speaks out against the cruelty of Judeo-fascism is an Uncle Tom, an enabler of jew haters. But then they will turn around and make the opposite argument when it suits them – – that it's wrong for people to take out their anger with Israel on Jews in europe. I mean, it's not as if Jews equal Israel, unless that suits the Zionists at the moment…

by Anonymousreply 102October 30, 2015 4:49 AM

OP, It's strange that you are in Germany and starting threads on DL. A post on IG or FB maybe, but DL?

Like Janice Dickinson, it sucks if it happened to you but your behavior leaves little room for sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 103October 30, 2015 5:05 AM

R102 Adolph loves to say Zionist, because Adolph is an ignorant bigoted cunt who doesn't know that Zionists are also Muslims, Xtians, Druse, Buddhists and Shinto, etc. Adolph's focus is solely on JEWS and finding ways to rationalize his obsession and hated.

by Anonymousreply 104October 30, 2015 5:12 AM

My friend got his phone stolen in Rome in the most cliche way imaginable... the guy took it right out of his pocket as the subway doors were closing. He was kind of traumatized, but I have to say I was not sympathetic. I told him 100x that Rome is full of this shit, and he dismissed me repeatedly, saying "I'm from the South Side of Chicago - I can handle it"... as if this is remotely the same. They're extremely skilled thieves out there, almost always working in pairs or groups. I had my stuff buried deep in pockets and in a money belt (I know - fashionable, whatever). I know plenty of Gypsies were bumping into me trying to see what was in my pockets that they could take (happened in Paris too). Another one was sitting with her friend outside the vatican, and then she was me and jumped up and started holding a cup and saying "FOR MY CHILD - MY CHILD". Cunts of the planet.

And as for the other topic, McDonalds in Rome was packed in the middle of the day - at least 100 people were in there.

by Anonymousreply 105October 30, 2015 5:48 AM

She SAW me...not she "WAS" me .. wtf

by Anonymousreply 106October 30, 2015 5:49 AM

Brit here and it's a known fact that most pickpocketing and ATM thefts here are done by Romanians.

by Anonymousreply 107October 30, 2015 5:55 AM

R105 has the right skills to survive in a tourist- infested place like Rome or Paris.

by Anonymousreply 108October 30, 2015 8:28 AM

I have never been stolen in this way, but I have to say I grew up in a European city similar to Rome when it comes to pickpockets. I'll watch my stuff (always deeply buried) and protect it like a hawk. And, due to abuse in my childhood, I can get very violent! There's pools and pools of violence in me that begs for nothing else but to be unleashed, so any excuse is a good excuse!

I'm a 5'8', fairly attractive (depending on taste) 37-year-old woman. Most people think I'm a teacher, which I'm not but indeed could be.

Anyway! Stories of fending off thieves:

When I was still a student, I was not eating properly and once passed out right after leaving a large supermarket inside an even larger mall. I was lying on the floor, vaguely conscious but couldn't get up. I was 19 or 20 at the time. A few people gathered around me. I remember a woman who kept repeating: "I know first aid" but didn't do anything. And there was this guy, well-dressed, in his thirties, you wouldn't have suspected him of anything. He said "I'm a doctor" and cut through the crowd. He pretended to check for my pulse and other stuff while reaching for my wallet, which was in my coat pocket inside my hand. I was very faint, so I couldn't really move or even speak. He tried to take it and I concentrated all my strength on holding on to my wallet while looking at him. Our eyes locked. He couldn't believe it. He stayed like this for a few seconds as I was trying to speak, then left. After that, security men from the mall came over, told me to eat properly, etc.

Another story: a few years ago I was teaching (ha!) private lessons and had just come into something like 50 euro. I went to the ATM to make a deposit of the sum. Two young Roma came up to me and did some magic on the machine and I literally saw them take my money before my eyes. I have to say they were very skilled. But, I yelled at them like I was going to kill them or call the police, and they were basically scared and handed me back the money. I chased them down the street after that (helped by two Canadian tourists I met right out the ATM), but we quickly lost track of them. The Roma were about 14.

Last story: went to my hometown fairly recently, with my girlfriend, and we went to a place known to be festered with pickpockets. They are very, very, very skilled. One of their tricks is to make you feel uncomfortable about something else (like getting too close to you while on public transportation) so that you focus on that, instead of your stuff. The one making you uncomfortable usually is there only to distract you. Somebody else is doing the thieving. Anyway, there we are, public transportation and it is FILLED with tourists. So I figure: nothing's gonna happen. At the very last minute, two locals hop in - dressed like middle-class, even affluent middle-aged men. But there was something about them that was off- for one, I felt they were just too confident. The oldest sat right next to my gf. He was just a little too close. He kept up the banter with his pal for the whole trip. My girlfriend and I never spoke. She is foreign so they would have known we were tourists. This way they weren't really sure. The thing is, these are destinations that the locals don't use. So there's no reason for them to be there unless they're pickpockets. And she noticed, even though the guy had pretty nice clothes, they were rough around the edges, etc. So nothing happened that time but I'm pretty sure the two guys were pickpockets operating as a team.

by Anonymousreply 109October 30, 2015 8:51 AM

Btw - in defense of the Burger King eating in Germany, this is what McDonalds looked like when I was in Rome. It's hard to believe this many people would pass up Italian food (which isn't that much more expensive for lunch) to eat there, but they must serve 1000 people a day. I can't even imagine it is the convenience factor. The line looked 20 minutes long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 30, 2015 8:53 AM

Incredible R110. And Italian food is reportedly the best (and not particularly expensive).

by Anonymousreply 111October 30, 2015 9:30 AM

good stories, R109!

by Anonymousreply 112October 30, 2015 10:04 AM

So two fat whores had their phones stolen overseas.

STOP THE PRESSES

by Anonymousreply 113October 30, 2015 10:11 AM

"In Britain, for instance, the only restaurants open after 8 p.m. or so are very high-end establishments, tandooris and American fast-food chains"

Sweetie: when did you take your last cruise to Her Majesty's dominions -- was it before the War? Or shortly after?

by Anonymousreply 114October 30, 2015 10:29 AM

[quote]Incredible [R110]. And Italian food is reportedly the best (and not particularly expensive).

Maybe they're bored of it and need a change.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 30, 2015 10:29 AM

R103, on a thread full of stupid, off-topic statements, yours is likely the most absurd of all.

Please explain to me why creating a thread on Datalounge after 11 PM on a Sunday night is "strange" solely because it was posted by an American tourist in Germany, rather than from his home in America?

What should I have been doing with that time? Touring the cathedrals that aren't open? Having a sightseeing swim up the Rhine? Getting a head start in line at the Topology of Terror museum?

Wow, what a stupid post. LOL

by Anonymousreply 116October 30, 2015 12:02 PM

[quote]Wow, what a stupid post. LOL

Yes, just laugh, OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 30, 2015 12:28 PM

It's the Turks. The dirty, stinking Turks. And in Germany it doesn't matter where the dark-skinned, rat-eyed (to them) foreigners come from. It's the Turks.

At least that's what my German relatives say, who declare that Germany today would be a paradise, if not for the the Turks. Well, and the enormous support given to the shit-hole East Germans.

Don't argue. It's the TURKS.

by Anonymousreply 118October 30, 2015 1:23 PM

R118 Your German relatives are right! The Turks are assisting with the invasion of Western Europe. Payback and a fuck you! to Europe for rejecting Turkey's EU bid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 30, 2015 1:41 PM

Europeans like McDonalds because a) the restaurants are clean b) it's cheap and uniform - you know what you're getting c) it's addictive.

by Anonymousreply 120October 30, 2015 7:31 PM

[quote] horrid people. Even that language with all the gutteral "ch" sounds. Yuck. It is just so phlegmy and gross.

Compared to the even uglier Dutch , which makes German sound like a romance language.

by Anonymousreply 121October 30, 2015 7:39 PM

[quote] Never see a BK in Germany except at the airport

Then you've never been to Berlin. BK, McDonalds and Subway are everywhere there.

by Anonymousreply 122October 30, 2015 7:42 PM

Oh, and Dunkin' Donuts

by Anonymousreply 123October 30, 2015 7:44 PM

Currywurst is an abomination particularly as there are a really good variety of sausages on rolls w/ sauerkraut you can buy on the cheap. Sliced up boiled sausage topped with ketchup, curry powder and served with a toothpick? Yeah, count me out. I'd rather get BK or McDonald's under the circumstances and given the wifi.

by Anonymousreply 124November 5, 2015 12:33 PM

Numerous signs now posted in the Louvre warning the folks about pickpockets.

by Anonymousreply 125November 5, 2015 12:52 PM

I agree that currywurst is a total nightmare street food. It would be better if they used a red sausage for it, but either way, it's hideous stuff.

by Anonymousreply 126November 5, 2015 1:05 PM

it does sound gross - a nice bratwurst with dijon is so good

by Anonymousreply 127November 5, 2015 2:22 PM

Some thieves in Buenos Aires. squirted something that looked like bird shit on my jacket and then ran to "help...clean up" while rifling my pockets, but fortunately I had nothing in my pockets and I pushed them away.

by Anonymousreply 128November 5, 2015 2:39 PM

That's an old con trick. Any stranger that talks to me in the street, I brusquely brush aside. Tell them to stuff it.

by Anonymousreply 129November 5, 2015 4:17 PM

Maybe you should be more self-aware, OP.

by Anonymousreply 130June 10, 2020 5:25 AM

I took the train from Vienna to Budapest. Upon crossing the border, two individuals got up and stated they were with the Hungarian Government. She welcomed us to Hungary and warned us about the scammers that would be present at the station and throughout Budapest. Sure enough, when the car doors to the train opened in Budapest, we were mobbed with individuals trying to pick our pockets, sell us BS, taxi drivers, tourist guides, etc. I pushed my self through the crowd and found a good taxi driver to take me to my hotel. I remained cautious during the remainder of my time in Budapest and always felt that there was someone looking over my shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 131June 10, 2020 5:32 AM

Europe is fill of rapists!

by Anonymousreply 132June 10, 2020 6:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!