Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alden Ehrenreich - What do we know?

Cute Jewish boy of German descent and discovered by Spielberg at a bat mitsvah reception.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74January 2, 2019 11:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2015 1:07 PM

He reminds me of a young Sam Neill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2015 1:11 PM

Bumpage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 6, 2016 12:47 PM

I would not have recognized him R2

by Anonymousreply 4February 6, 2016 1:00 PM

[quote]What do we know

That he's fug.

by Anonymousreply 5February 6, 2016 1:01 PM

[quote]That he's fug.

Hardly. BTW they can your lisp in space.

by Anonymousreply 6February 6, 2016 1:12 PM

[quote]they can your lisp in space.

Shesh whosh Lissha?

by Anonymousreply 7February 6, 2016 1:18 PM

"That he's fug."

He is fug. Datalounge fug.

But how would people in the real world who aren't psychologically damaged feel about him?

Not fug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 6, 2016 2:08 PM

He's cute, but how do you get "discovered" at a bat mitzvah? Did he hand Spielberg an audition tape?

by Anonymousreply 9February 6, 2016 2:54 PM

Spielberg is a mo. Gotta be. Why else is he clocking this kid so hard that he "discovers" him?

by Anonymousreply 10February 6, 2016 3:29 PM

[quote]but how do you get "discovered" at a bat mitzvah?

Truly spoken by somebody who has no idea how West Side Los Angeles works.

by Anonymousreply 11February 6, 2016 3:40 PM

He can't be the first actor discovered at a bat mitzvah:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 6, 2016 3:44 PM

He's adorable in "Hail, Caesar" - he steals the film from all the big names

by Anonymousreply 13February 6, 2016 3:47 PM

"He's cute, but how do you get "discovered" at a bat mitzvah?"

From the Conan interview: He didn't attend the bat mitzvah. He filmed/taped a comedy skit for the girl which was shown at the celebration. Spielberg saw it, and asked to meet the boy who created and starred in it.

by Anonymousreply 14February 7, 2016 4:16 AM

Why is it relevant that he is Jewish?

by Anonymousreply 15February 7, 2016 8:27 AM

Because now we know that he is CUT!

by Anonymousreply 16February 7, 2016 8:59 AM

Is "discovered by Spielberg at a mitzvah" code for something? Hasn't he discovered lots of kids this way? Does he just, what, cruise mitzvahs for undiscovered actors now?

by Anonymousreply 17February 7, 2016 9:07 AM

[quote]Why is it relevant that he is Jewish?

Because anti-Jewish bigotry is entrenched in America, as reflected on DL.

by Anonymousreply 18February 7, 2016 9:07 AM

Ok, so that's the hustle now? Befriend jewish kids and their parents so you can get your work seen by TPTB who are bored and drunk at bar mitzvahs? Of course they're all trapped at some hellish reception, so you have their undivided attention. Brilliant, I must say.

by Anonymousreply 19February 7, 2016 9:24 AM

He kind of reminds me of a young Leo, when Leo was cute that is.

by Anonymousreply 20February 7, 2016 9:41 AM

[quote]discovered by Spielberg at a bat mitsvah reception

Gee that's not gay at all.

He seemed like a virgin when we met. I just wanted better roles

by Anonymousreply 21February 7, 2016 9:43 AM

Spielberg discovered me on a movie theatre line in the Hamptons.

BTW I was very young and thin and my figure was very boyish at the time. (didn't want to sound like I was refuting the gay debate. I love my gay fans and they love me.)

by Anonymousreply 22February 7, 2016 9:46 AM

SS can't be gay. We gays have good taste and never ever would have cast Shia LaBeouf...

With Clooney (especially) and Brolin looking too old I like Tatum but Alden really stood out in Caesar. Thinking he was from Europe and most likely has done nudity did a search but sadly he's a boring American actor...

by Anonymousreply 23February 7, 2016 9:57 AM

You poor dear. R22, no one has told you who your Godfather is?

by Anonymousreply 24February 7, 2016 10:02 AM

I agree. His casting Shia LaBeouf is proof that Spielberg cannot be gay. No gay man's taste is THAT bad.

by Anonymousreply 25February 7, 2016 10:08 AM

I liked him in Tetro and I liked Tetro. Worth a watch, if you haven't seen it.

by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2016 10:10 AM

possibly r24 but if they did I blocked it out. As you know I only had eyes for daddy.

by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2016 10:12 AM

"Discovered by Spielberg" ewww

by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2016 11:17 AM

[quote]But how would people in the real world who aren't psychologically damaged feel about him?

How are you possibly able to deduce that my post calling him fug is an indicator that I'm "psychologically damaged"?

I expressed my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2016 2:26 PM

[quote]Why is it relevant that he is Jewish?

I'm Jewish and I'm just proud when one of our own not only makes it in Hollywood, because is also young, cute and talented!

I'm behind the Emory Cohen thread too, if you were wondering.

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2016 4:19 PM

Completely agree with R13. His scene with Veronica Osorio is one of the highlights of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 31February 10, 2016 2:56 AM

[quote]Because anti-Jewish bigotry is entrenched in America, as reflected on DL.

Professional victim whoring hotline calling, line 3.

by Anonymousreply 32February 10, 2016 3:30 AM

Ewwwww is right, R28. Please don't mention the Crispy one, lest it find us. That said, I agree with you both about SS.

by Anonymousreply 33February 10, 2016 3:53 AM

No. The last person Spielfotze pushed out was clinicly insane Shitty La beef.

by Anonymousreply 34February 10, 2016 6:54 AM

German? No. And his last name is a typical Eastern European Jewish name.

Actors of fully Jewish background: Logan Lerman, Natalie Portman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Mila Kunis, Bar Refaeli, James Wolk, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Julian Morris, Adam Brody, Esti Ginzburg, Kat Dennings, Gabriel Macht, Erin Heatherton, Odeya Rush, Anton Yelchin, Paul Rudd, Scott Mechlowicz, Lisa Kudrow, Lizzy Caplan, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Gal Gadot, Debra Messing, Robert Kazinsky, Melanie Laurent, Shiri Appleby, Justin Bartha, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Margarita Levieva, Elizabeth Berkley, Halston Sage, Seth Gabel, Corey Stoll, Mia Kirshner, Alden Ehrenreich, Debra Winger, Eric Balfour, Emory Cohen, Jason Isaacs, Jon Bernthal, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy.

Andrew Garfield and Aaron Taylor-Johnson are Jewish, too (though I don’t know if both of their parents are).

Actors with Jewish mothers and non-Jewish fathers: Jake Gyllenhaal, Dave Franco, James Franco, Scarlett Johansson, Daniel Day-Lewis, Daniel Radcliffe, Alison Brie, Eva Green, Joaquin Phoenix, River Phoenix, Emmy Rossum, Ryan Potter, Rashida Jones, Jennifer Connelly, Sofia Black D’Elia, Nora Arnezeder, Goldie Hawn, Ginnifer Goodwin, Amanda Peet, Eric Dane, Jeremy Jordan, Joel Kinnaman, Ben Barnes, Patricia Arquette, Kyra Sedgwick, Dave Annable, and Harrison Ford (whose maternal grandparents were both Jewish, despite those Hanukkah Song lyrics).

Actors with Jewish fathers and non-Jewish mothers, who themselves were either raised as Jews and/or identify as Jews: Ezra Miller, Gwyneth Paltrow, Alexa Davalos, Nat Wolff, Nicola Peltz, James Maslow, Josh Bowman, Winona Ryder, Michael Douglas, Ben Foster, Jamie Lee Curtis, Nikki Reed, Zac Efron, Jonathan Keltz, Paul Newman.

Oh, and Ansel Elgort’s father is Jewish, though I don’t know how Ansel was raised. Robert Downey, Jr. and Sean Penn were also born to Jewish fathers and non-Jewish mothers. Armie Hammer and Chris Pine are part Jewish.

Actors with one Jewish-born parent and one parent who converted to Judaism: Dianna Agron, Sara Paxton (whose father converted, not her mother), Alicia Silverstone, Jamie-Lynn Sigler.

by Anonymousreply 35February 12, 2016 5:40 AM

OP, sweetie, honey - he's not of "German descent", dear. He's a fucking American. If you're born in one country and you take that country's nationality? Guess what - you're *of* that country. Just like how I've got two cousins who are Swedish - their parents might be from Scotland, but we don't label them as "of Scottish descent".

by Anonymousreply 36February 12, 2016 5:54 AM

When people complain about "white privilege" in Hollywood what they really mean is "Jewish nepotism". I remember Lea Michele describing an after-party as being "like the coolest bat mitzvah ever!"

by Anonymousreply 37February 12, 2016 9:36 AM

R36 America's peculiar form of bigotry, as R37 illustrates.

by Anonymousreply 38February 12, 2016 9:43 AM

How is it bigotry to point out that Hollywood actors tend to be Jewish, wildly out of proportion with their numbers in the general population?

That's just how it is. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 39February 12, 2016 9:47 AM

Agree with r31. A romantic comedy with Ehrenreich and Veronica Osorio would be delightful.

by Anonymousreply 40February 12, 2016 1:26 PM

Notorious pussyhound. Big Ted Cruz supporter.

by Anonymousreply 41February 12, 2016 1:35 PM

"Bro..."

by Anonymousreply 42February 12, 2016 2:09 PM

"How is it bigotry to point out that Hollywood actors tend to be Jewish, wildly out of proportion with their numbers in the general population?"

Wildly out of proportion? Maybe 5-10% of actors are Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 43February 13, 2016 12:25 AM

Actually, R35, he's not of German descent because he's not of German descent. His family is from Austria, Russia, Poland, etc. "Ehrenreich" is an Ashkenazi Jewish surname usually found in Eastern Europe.

by Anonymousreply 44February 13, 2016 7:52 AM

And here all I was wondering was, is he related to Barbara E. the writer.

by Anonymousreply 45February 13, 2016 8:46 AM

"Ehrenreich is an Ashkenazi Jewish surname "

Fun Fact:

The AVERAGE IQ score of Ashkenazi Jews have been calculated to be 112–115 (Cochran et al.) and 107–115 (Murray; Entine).

These measurements place them as the ethnic/racial group with the highest IQ in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 13, 2016 2:42 PM

[quote]Wildly out of proportion? Maybe 5-10% of actors are Jewish.

You honestly think that only about 5-10% of Hollywood actors are Jewish (or half Jewish)? You're dreaming.

by Anonymousreply 47February 13, 2016 4:12 PM

R39 Wouldn't it be great to have a Sandra Bullock thread and point out that's she's half German. She speaks fluent German to boot. I think that has happened on the DL. Every ethnic group has pride in their own. Especially Jewish people.

by Anonymousreply 48February 13, 2016 4:44 PM

r47, you are dreaming if you think the percent of actors who are Jewish is significantly higher than that. And "half Jewish" people get to be lumped in with Jews even if they weren't raised Jewish? Okay.

by Anonymousreply 49February 13, 2016 4:46 PM

The percentage of "white" A and B List actors with Jewish heritage is heavily skewed whether you want to admit it or not. Look at the compilation at R12, which isn't even complete.

And it's not about religion, it's about ethnocentrism (see R46)---there are countless atheistic Jews. Or do you think they're not really part of the tribe if they don't go to the synagogue?

by Anonymousreply 50February 13, 2016 7:21 PM

wouldn't it be easier to make a list of non-jewish actors?

Oh, btw, he IS fug. He might have one good angle but he looks like a young Orson Welles.

SS is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 51February 13, 2016 7:39 PM

[quote]OP, sweetie, honey - he's not of "German descent", dear. He's a fucking American. If you're born in one country and you take that country's nationality? Guess what - you're *of* that country. Just like how I've got two cousins who are Swedish - their parents might be from Scotland, but we don't label them as "of Scottish descent".

Listen. Your cousins are Swedish born but of Scottish [italic]descent[/italic]. It's that simple Don't try and twist my words.

by Anonymousreply 52February 13, 2016 8:50 PM

[quote] He didn't attend the bat mitzvah. He filmed/taped a comedy skit for the girl which was shown at the celebration. Spielberg saw it, and asked to meet the boy who created and starred in it.

That is word for word exactly the story told about Spielberg's "discovery" of Shia.

by Anonymousreply 53February 15, 2016 2:50 AM

"he IS fug. He might have one good angle"

He's got at least two. Here's his second one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54February 15, 2016 3:13 AM

Hmm, it's the same one as the other good angle at R8

by Anonymousreply 55February 15, 2016 3:22 AM

r50, it's not ethnocentrism, just the fact that certain people are drawn to certain professions. A lot of gays are drawn to showbiz, too, and no one thinks that is some kind of conspiracy.

by Anonymousreply 56February 15, 2016 8:09 PM

Can we stop with the ethnicity discussion and start investigating his sexuality, please?

by Anonymousreply 57February 15, 2016 8:31 PM

He's got what it takes to make it in Hollywood!

by Anonymousreply 58February 15, 2016 8:49 PM

[quote]He's got what it takes to make it in Hollywood!

Ability to kneel for long periods of time and no gag reflex?

by Anonymousreply 59February 15, 2016 11:59 PM

Don't forget to swallow, dear. S.W.A.L.L.O.W.....

by Anonymousreply 60February 16, 2016 4:37 PM

This thread is a mess. This kid was great (and very cute) in Hail Caesar! Dare I say "it" factor. Does anyone know if he was going his own singing in Hail?

by Anonymousreply 61February 5, 2017 7:51 AM

Bump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 23, 2018 3:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63April 23, 2018 3:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64April 23, 2018 3:38 AM

He has a purty mouth.

by Anonymousreply 65April 23, 2018 3:39 AM

He looks like the guy in Swingers "before "

by Anonymousreply 66April 23, 2018 4:06 AM

I've dealt with him one-on-one.

He's a very nice guy. Nicer than most.

by Anonymousreply 67April 23, 2018 4:14 AM

Is he short? The Internet thinks he's 5' 9".

by Anonymousreply 68April 23, 2018 4:28 AM

Yeah, he's ... not tall.

But striking. Real magnetism.

by Anonymousreply 69April 23, 2018 4:29 AM

That's okay. Tom Cruise isn't tall either, and he's a biggy star.

by Anonymousreply 70April 23, 2018 4:31 AM

Wow. I see the Orson Welles thing in R63!

by Anonymousreply 71April 23, 2018 4:35 AM

[quote]He might have one good angle but he looks like a young Orson Welles.

Young Orson was beautiful, in a cherubic, soft-featured way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 23, 2018 2:24 PM

I’m surprised he didn’t get a Supporting Oscar nomination for Hail Caesar. He was fantastic in it.

by Anonymousreply 73April 23, 2018 2:50 PM

Perhaps this is a more appropriate thread than the other seemingly negative one.

I just had the weirdest dream about him and had to write it down. This was the most updated thread I could find.

First of all, let me preface that I never paid much attention to him before or recently, so I don't know how he ended up in my dream. The only thing I remember seeing him in was that Warren Beatty Howard Hughes biopic, in which I found him endearing but nothing more.

Anyway, in my dream his parents were Jeff Perry and Jill Clayburgh, who had recently died. Both father and son were devastated. Then Alden learned he had an incurable brain cancer and only had hours to live. He decided to end his life with dignity via assisted suicide. He was in the hospital where I ran into him. We became friends and he asked me to be there with him when he died. The nurse (the only other person in the room) gave him a handful of various antidepressants on which to overdose. I remember I only recognized the Prozac and Zoloft because I've taken those before. After he took them, he was hungry so the nurse told me to go fetch him something from the cafeteria. When I returned he was convulsing and seemed like he was in pain. I immediately felt such compassion for him that I rushed over and held him in my arms as he expired.

Afterward, I felt so distraught that the nurse allowed me clutch his jacket as they wheeled him away and were taking his personal belongings. Then I remember being at Comic-Con and an Asian fan going up to people saying she was there to meet Alden. I didn't have the heart to tell her but the nurse (who was there) informed her that he had recently died.

And that's all I recall. But now i have this sudden fondness for him. Perhaps I'll check out his other movies.

Weird.

by Anonymousreply 74January 2, 2019 11:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!