Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paradise By The Dashboard Light

One of the most brilliantly conceived rock & roll creations of all time.

by Anonymousreply 40December 18, 2020 4:24 PM

You are not wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2015 5:25 PM

It's an amazing song!

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2015 2:07 AM

Love it. That whole first Bat Out Of Hell album is pretty awesome.

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2015 2:09 AM

It still holds up decades later. Amazing songwriting and Meatloaf's performance was spot on.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2015 4:03 AM

I was at the Ottawa concert when Meatloaf fell off the stage!

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2015 4:09 AM

And getting Phil Rizzuto doing play by play was a stroke of genius.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2015 4:50 AM

And don't you fuckin' forget it, OP!

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2015 5:22 AM

Not really .

Sounds like something a straight chick would say when she's trying to be all badass.

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2015 5:32 AM

The song made me obsessed with Ellen Foley, R7. It was criminal her not being in the video. Carla DeVito was cute..but Ellen would have set the video on fire. Ellen was all over the place back then-her own records, with Loaf and Ian Hunter..even on Blue Oyster Cult's "Mirrors" LP, heating it up with Genya Ravan on a cut or two.

Night Court (sigh..)

Oh well, it was long ago and far away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2015 5:43 AM

I'm listening to it the first time. I'm not in love.

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2015 11:42 AM

shitty music from a shittard.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2015 1:08 PM

This thread sent me down the rabbit hole.

Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2015 1:13 PM

Rock songs with such drastic (and multiple) tonal shifts or movements are not common. The only other successful one that comes to mind is Bohemian Rhapsody. Paradise By the Dashboard Light is a great work of rock art.

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2015 2:22 PM

Do you think Wings' Band on the Run is successful, 13?

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2015 2:27 PM

You have to go back to the 70s to find any real examples... fascinating.

Any more contemporary songs that do anything like this? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but that's not saying anything.

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2015 4:19 PM

Bow down to me, bitches. I started the whole thing

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2015 4:32 PM

So why did you all hate it when Glee did it for the national championship?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2015 4:41 PM

I miss Cory.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2015 4:52 PM

Did people R17? My understanding is it is considered one of the better "Glee" performances, I believe it was well received.

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2015 5:04 PM

Glee's version is rushed. Due to time limitations they chopped the song up, thereby losing its context and slow build. Plus it's a song that's meant to be a story between two people, not an entire fucking chorus of males and females.

by Anonymousreply 20October 14, 2015 3:41 AM

That's nice, OP.

by Anonymousreply 21October 14, 2015 6:04 AM

Bohemian Rhapsody is so much better.

by Anonymousreply 22October 14, 2015 7:36 AM

---+

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2015 11:54 AM

Best Meatloaf song

by Anonymousreply 24November 9, 2015 11:17 AM

When I hear it played at wedding dances, I always wonder if the bride and groom had ever listed to the words. It does not exactly shout out happily ever married bliss at the end.

by Anonymousreply 25November 9, 2015 11:27 AM

[quote]When I hear it played at wedding dances, I always wonder if the bride and groom had ever listed to the words. It does not exactly shout out happily ever married bliss at the end.

LOL!

God, some people pick the stupidest freaking wedding songs, wtf!

by Anonymousreply 26December 13, 2015 6:40 AM

The jocks in my dorm used to have parties just about every single night in a player's room next door to my dorm room. They would sing Paradise By the Dashboard Light and Centerfield (by John Fogerty) over and over and over (at the top of their lungs). Strangely I've never gotten sick of either song. And 25 yrs later I still know every single word to Paradise

by Anonymousreply 27December 13, 2015 6:53 AM

It was fun to be in college when that album came out

by Anonymousreply 28December 13, 2015 2:20 PM

over-cooked rock n rollish broadway show tune

by Anonymousreply 29December 13, 2015 3:04 PM

Back in the late 90's, my friend and I had a total dance routine to that song.

Not, like, with kick-ball-changes and jazz hands, but one of us would do the male lines and the other the female [I'm kinda butch, so I was Meatloaf], and we'd point to our hand to indicate the wedding ring, or put our hands in prayer position up beside our faces for "let me sleep on it", etc.

It was a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 30December 13, 2015 6:54 PM

I knew Ellen Foley in high school. We went to different all girls Catholic academies in St. Louis. She has had an unusual career. I thought around the time of FATAL ATTRACTION, TOOTSIE, etc., that she might break through in film, but that really hasn't happened. I know she has done Broadway, which I believe suits her best, but again, never a breakthrough role of her own. She is very talented and I wonder why her career didn't take off more. She was in her prime when she recorded this, and it's a shame she is not identified with it more.

Very nice person, btw.

by Anonymousreply 31December 13, 2015 7:31 PM

Nice song indeed, but "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)" is justifiably Meat Loaf's highlight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 13, 2015 7:50 PM

Also like "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad."

by Anonymousreply 33December 13, 2015 9:43 PM

R26, I remember reading that the Goo Goo Dolls' 'Iris' was the most popular wedding song of the 00's.

by Anonymousreply 34December 25, 2015 7:35 PM

Why don't shit threads like this STAY ignored? This has to be the fourth time.

by Anonymousreply 35December 25, 2015 7:45 PM

R36 throws a hammer against R35's big fat head and gives a clumsy hug to R34.

by Anonymousreply 36December 25, 2015 8:08 PM

I still remember the first time I heard this song. It was in 1978 or perhaps a year or two earlier. It drew my attention and I laughed out loud. It's a very funny song that captures (possibly imaginary) adolescent life.

by Anonymousreply 37December 25, 2015 11:42 PM

Never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 38December 18, 2020 3:37 PM

First time I heard it back in 1982 or so, it was presented as a drag production number by Dana Douglas and her husband at Rene's bar in Tampa. A few years later I would play the male role for another performer in a local pageant. She didn't win, but we toured the local bars with the number for a few months.

by Anonymousreply 39December 18, 2020 4:00 PM

R24 wrong. That's 'Life Is A Lemon (And I Want My Money Back)'. That song got my through adolescence alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 18, 2020 4:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!