Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Doodler Murders

A serial killer who targeted gay men in San Francisco in the '70s. Among the surviving victims was a "nationally known entertainer",a European diplomat, and a "well known San Francisco figure".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2018 1:15 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2015 12:48 AM

Thanks for posting, OP. I've only heard vague references to this and always forgot to google it. CA in the seventies sounds crazy beyond belief.

I've only had time to scroll through, but in the meantime:

[quote]Officer Gay, as the Advocate put it, would “drive slowly through [Golden Gate Park] in a pickup truck and stop near a strolling male. Then he would stretch out…and show a bulging ‘basket’ in his tight Levis.” Once an advance was made, Officer Gay would make an arrest.

Officer Gay's partner was Officer Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2015 12:54 AM

This guy would be elderly today, at least 60, right?

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2015 3:00 AM

Interesting article. Never heard of this serial killer before.

"...mentions of the Doodler murders nearly vanished, even among the gay publications. A culturally significant exception: In 1978’s Tales of the City, Armistead Maupin writes of “the Doodler, a sinister black man who sat at the bar and sketched your face . . . before taking you home to murder you.” "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2015 4:41 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2015 7:12 PM

Very scary, Mary

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2015 11:26 PM

The Doodler sounds like a superhero villain.

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2015 12:14 AM

^ It sounds like a Batman archnemesis

by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2015 12:20 AM

This is very interesting. So the article indicates some celebrity encountered the Doodler and the won't name the person? Why don't they reopen this case. Whenever there is multiple stab wounds found on the victim or bludgeon repeatedly, that is an indication the murderer is very angry. When the victim is shot dead once or twice, it wasn't a personal hit or the murderer wasn't angry with the victim per say. he or she had other motives that wasn't so personal.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2015 2:04 AM

I get very angry when I see someone post "per say", r9, so you have been warned.

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2015 8:59 AM

This brings that mad and glorious time back to me full force. Lifelong interest in true crime, lived in the Castro in the mid-70s, and this really was downplayed - vague and fleeting coverage. I bet he frequented Polk St. too.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2015 11:08 AM

I heart you, R10.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2015 11:30 AM

I don't think Polk street is gay street anymore? Is R11?

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2015 11:17 PM

The problem with reopening this case is that most of the witnesses and probably the main suspect are dead.

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2015 11:22 PM

There isn't a problem opening the case as long as they do it soon.

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2015 11:30 PM

I found the murderer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2015 12:36 AM

It was Doodles Weaver

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2015 12:39 AM

I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area and the Zodiac Killer, The Night Stalker, etc have been well publicized ,but I haven't heard remotely anything about this case. That is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2015 1:24 AM

Who was the famous person who was closeted? Was it someone locally famous in the SF bay area, or nationally/internationally famous? Also the police claim they are closing in on the identity of the serial killer, hopefully he's still alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2018 1:34 AM

egrr

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2018 3:31 PM

R18, maybe the guy who was closeted and almost a victim of the serial killer who was apparently a celebrity or famous wanted to hush the media or stories about the serial killer? This happened long before social media, and 24 hour news channels.

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2018 3:45 PM

I heard the famous guy was either Rock Hudson or Richard Chamberlain

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2018 7:54 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2018 1:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!