Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Relationship Stress

I think I could benefit from some DL cold hard truth/advice.

I've been in a relationship for about 3 years. When we first started dating, I was pushing monogamy and that we should only be with each other. I felt that way through most of the relationship, but lately I've been having strong desires to hook up with other guys. The thought of only being with 1 guy the rest of my life, especially when I am relatively young, depresses me. I've only ever been with 4 guys as it is, and I feel like I'm missing out, and I know if this relationship were to suddenly end I wouldn't hurry to get into another one and I'd stay single and have fun. I was thinking about proposing an open relationship, but I'd want to be able to fuck guys without him being there as well as potentially having three ways. I don't want to be a heartbreaker though and ruin something good, but the more I think about it the thought of settling down and raising a family and being monogamous the rest of my life scares me because that seems like I'm giving up on fun entirely.

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2020 3:27 PM

Do the right thing and leave him, you don't have the life experience to be in a relationship yet.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2015 12:13 AM

I don't get this. All dicks are the same, just that some are smaller or bigger. All asses pretty much feel the same. The only difference is the guy that they're attached to and most guys end up being jerks anyway. Why risk a good stable relationship just for some imagined fun elsewhere?

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2015 12:17 AM

You complain a lot ("me, me, me") and are short-sighted. Buy a circus ticket and get on the next ride - while doing your partner a BIG favor.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2015 1:17 AM

End the relationship with him. It's obvious he's too good for you. Go lead your slutty little life, but don't come back here complaining how men are assholes and you're all alone.

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2015 1:21 AM

Play the field. You will regret it if you don't later on.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2015 1:35 AM

What R1 to R4 said. Ignore R5

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2015 1:41 AM

How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2015 1:55 AM

R6 - What's wrong with breaking out on your own and being young and single and enjoying yourself?

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2015 3:06 AM

OP, if you are mainly thinking about all the ass you're missing, maybe you need to reassess whether you need to be in a LTR in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2015 3:11 AM

OP here- there are things that led me to feel this way, it didn't just sort of spring up. I should have probably included that. He has a lot of anger issues which has been driving a wedge between us and I should have noticed it when we first started dating. Sometimes it is like dating a toddler due to the tantrums. The thing that worries me though, is that he is so invested in me that if I broke up with him I'm worried about his safety, and I don't want to hurt his feelings because I DO love him. I'm just not sure I'm IN love with him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2015 4:19 AM

OP - You've been given good advice. Hop to it.

1. Seek therapist to validate/discuss situation on your own

2. Get a good lawyer, financial and put all your affairs in order (your legal rights are critical)

3. Schedule discussion with partner away from the house to keep distractions at bay

4. If partner gets upset, just say "I need time and space to further reflect."

5. This way will ease the "theatrics" on both sides

6. Find another place or give him notice and have someone close by as protection and to desescalate potential intimidation tactics that may arise

7. Schedule dinner with a friend(s) and relax, your nightmare is over - his has just begun (hard lesson but he'll survive)

8. Change locks immediately and cell phone if need be. Be prepared to take out restraining order.

9. Plan your holiday and celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2015 5:09 AM

^ wtf ?

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2015 8:23 AM

Ok OP. You made it seem like you just wanted some extra ass on the side, but if he's being difficult now and making things unpleasant then he won't be any better 10 years from now. Take care of yourself, he's a grown man and can handle his own life.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2015 6:47 PM

This is why straight relationships are not the same as gay ones. Gay people cheat and it's expected to have hundreds of affairs while you're married and you don't have cover it up. Do you think NPH isn't boinking every good looking guy he chooses too. And his husband was too, before he got fat.

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2015 8:20 PM

I'd fool around on the side. Maybe being with other guys will make you appreciate your partner more. Or not.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2015 8:24 PM

Better Call Saul than R11!

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2015 8:29 PM

R15 slut.

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2020 2:19 PM

Noticeable that after getting mostly negative feedback, OP pops in to shit on his boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2020 2:35 PM

Listen to R1, and pray to god you never meet R2.

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2020 2:36 PM

So it's two separate things. He sounds like a hard guy to be with, so why would you? And if even if he wasn't, you're ill suited to a settled relationship, at least at this time. Get it done. You're in a pointless situation.

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2020 2:43 PM

I’m going on four years. I’m over it.

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2020 2:47 PM

When one is gay, one is suppose to live a life of celibacy. Therefore, this really shouldn't be an issue to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2020 2:48 PM

I’ve been in a monogamous relationship for six years and I think phases like this where you want some strange are normal. Talk to your partner about it, and if you’re not comfortable doing so you probably should t be in a relationship with him.

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2020 2:54 PM

I find it so strange that sexual monogamy is part of gay relationships. But everyone is different. In any case, it’s absolutely illogical to commit to monogamy until you’ve had enough experience. You will regret it and hold a grudge against your partner - it creates a whole dynamic that is unhealthy. I’d say 35 is a starting point for that kind of commitment - but all depends on experiences.

by Anonymousreply 24August 13, 2020 3:04 PM

OP, it's been 5 years since you alerted us to your intentions; we're waiting with bated breath. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 25August 13, 2020 3:20 PM

OP, you sound normal and young, and not so self aware. You make a commitment after only 4 people? Why? You probably had an idealized view of yourself, your partner and your life. Now that you see the reality, you're thinking about another fantasy, 3 ways and such. Ok. It's normal, but it might be equally disappointing. Or not. Talk to a therapist to understand your motivations, but also, Tell your partner you want to talk about opening up your relationship. He's probably just as unsatisfied as you are. Good luck.

I agree with r24, no settling until after 30 or so. A lot of people that think they are in a monogamous relationship, are not.

by Anonymousreply 26August 13, 2020 3:26 PM

Leave him. Sounds like mentally you already have and he deserves better.

by Anonymousreply 27August 13, 2020 3:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!