Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tv show dropping gay storyline after constant complaints from fans

According to several insiders on the show who did want to be named or go public are saying that the decision to end its gay storyline was that the show was tired of the nearly constant complaints from fans of the show about the gay storyline and as such has come to the decision to end the gay storyline and give fans of the show what they want.

by Anonymousreply 81February 27, 2021 7:57 PM

which show? DOOL?Empire?

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2015 7:12 AM

all of them?

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2015 7:19 AM

"TV show dropping black storyline after constant complaints"

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2015 8:06 AM

Modern Family

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2015 8:10 AM

How To get Away With Murder or Empire. Or both.

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2015 8:15 AM

Nashville, DOOL, Empire, GH, HTGAWM

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2015 8:20 AM

Connor's going to screw Annalise?

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2015 8:29 AM

I hear it was a big part of the reason they cancelled "Looking".

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2015 8:31 AM

I'm guessing Empire and HTGAWM

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2015 8:33 AM

Has HTGAWM dropped gay storylines? I hadn't noticed. If you're referring to Annalise only reuniting with her girlfriend for a few episodes, those were filmed months ago. The length of the reunion was determined far in advance of any audience feedback.

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2015 8:59 AM

True, R10. But the reactions of the fans have made TPTB make the decision of not bringing that storyline back again. Empire's gay storyline is very much ok with the fans. The fans of HTGAWM were not ok with it. I'm guessing TPTB left the story open ended to see the reactions. So now they saw that the fans don't want itand totally dropped it. Annalise's gf will not be coming back

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2015 9:06 AM

Some girlfriend is coming back, she's not going to get married, and she's not going to stop being bi. Shonda stuck to her guns the last season with all the in-your-face gay sex, she admitted it was intentional and to make a point. She told the homophobes to fuck off in no uncertain terms on twitter.

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2015 9:12 AM

Is Shonda a lesbian ?

by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2015 9:15 AM

It could also be Black Sails. Gay storyline emerged but was cut back (according to one of the actors) the new season has yet to air. Dominion quickly forgot about its gay character after s1 finished. Arrow has a new gay character this upcoming season, could also be that.

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2015 9:16 AM

wait and see, R12. she backed off on this one

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2015 9:23 AM

{R14} Dominion quickly forget about his gay character because the actor playing that role got a series regular role in another TV show . He was a guest actor in Dominion so he asked producers to let him go which they did

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2015 9:25 AM

She did not, you think Viola Davis, who they have to film abbreviated seasons for, would agree to re-film scenes to de-gay it? The story ark was determined in advance of audience feedback, period.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2015 9:26 AM

R11 If you think that the fans of Empire are "okay with the gay storyline," then you must not frequent the various urban blogs that I read. I just mentioned on another thread how disgusted I was by the VILE homophobia being expressed by the majority at Diary of a Hollywood Street King.

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2015 9:27 AM

Nobody said anything about de-gaying it, R17. They are just not bringing that storyline back again. The reactions were not good. they intentionally left the story open to see what to do with it. They saw the reactions and decided to not to bring it back

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2015 9:29 AM

R11 is correct. It is Annalise/Eve. They wanted to see the reactions and they were not good. Eve is not returning. Annalise will hook up with someone else and it is not a woman. Shonda stuck to her guns last season but those were secondary characters. Annalise is the main character and she backed off when the reactions were not good.

by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2015 9:30 AM

Where's the quote with Shonda backing down, or even hinting at it? Oh right, it's just your assumption.

by Anonymousreply 21October 10, 2015 9:31 AM

[quote] The story ark

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 22October 10, 2015 9:33 AM

The hell is TPTB?

by Anonymousreply 23October 10, 2015 9:34 AM

LOL @ R21. You actually want a quote or her admitting it? The proof is in the fact that Eve will not return again

by Anonymousreply 24October 10, 2015 9:34 AM

[quote] The hell is TPTB?

The Powers That Be

by Anonymousreply 25October 10, 2015 9:35 AM

Then nothing's been proved yet, unless they've stated she won't be coming back. And even then, she could still end up dating a woman again. If not this season, the next.

by Anonymousreply 26October 10, 2015 9:37 AM

Eve's story is over, R26. And Annalise will not date a woman again. She will hook up with someone else but it is not a woman

by Anonymousreply 27October 10, 2015 9:39 AM

Well I can't argue with someone who apparently has a mind-meld with Shonda and her writers.

by Anonymousreply 28October 10, 2015 9:42 AM

I actually know what will happen down the line, R28. Just watch the show

by Anonymousreply 29October 10, 2015 9:43 AM

is this a blind item?

by Anonymousreply 30October 10, 2015 9:44 AM

Let's all state are assumptions as blind items, that'll be fun. Gives you a real edge in an argument too.

by Anonymousreply 31October 10, 2015 9:55 AM

Funny they never complain about lesbian storylines.

by Anonymousreply 32October 10, 2015 10:04 AM

The Walking Dead or Black Sails is most likely imo.

The Walking Dead had a controversy last year because the show got a ton of complaints after the gay kiss. They have added a new gay character this upcoming season (who is canon according to the comics). That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they stripped the character of everything gay.

Black Sails (see link) is my second choice. Rupert Penry-Jones, one of the actors, said the gay storyline was pushed back due to the producers getting cold feet. He called them out on the hypocrisy saying they've had lesbian pirates, which wasn't an issue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 10, 2015 10:08 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 10, 2015 10:09 AM

There was also a TON of complaints after the news of The Bold And The Beautiful was planning a gay (well.. bisexual) storyline. Maybe it was cut because they got cold feet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 10, 2015 10:11 AM

I'm going with:

Black Sails

The Walking Dead

The Bold And The Beautiful

by Anonymousreply 36October 10, 2015 10:11 AM

Empire will NEVER drop the gay storyline. Daniels based the gay character on his own childhood. growing up as gay. The gay character is personal to him. NO WAY IN HELL is he gonna drop it. No way.

I really don't see HTGAWM dropping Connor and Oliver's storyline either. The producers has stated how important it is to show gay sex and they wanted to include the gay storyline. IF there was "controversy" surrounding that it would be the moronic Annalise "Im suddenly bi now" storyline. And no.. it wasn't because it was lesbian/bi. It was because the storyline was just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 37October 10, 2015 10:15 AM

OP is writing from 1983.

by Anonymousreply 38October 10, 2015 10:20 AM

[quote]Nashville, DOOL, Empire, GH, HTGAWM

R6, see my former reply, R37, re: Empire, HTGAWM.

Now for the other three shows you mention:

I doubt GH was cut back. The gay characters have always been barely there, so nothing has changed.

Rumors have it the new DOOL writers are homophobic and that's why they killed off Will. So it might be DOOL.

Nashville has always had a conservative audience, I haven't seen the storyline change much though. Sure, Will was cut from his label, but Will and Kevin are still going strong, they even kissed in the newest episode, so I doubt it's Nashville. They might cut the storyline in the future though, but I don't see it happening.

My guesses are still Black Sails, The Walking Dead, DOOL, B&B.

by Anonymousreply 39October 10, 2015 10:21 AM

I believe R29 because some Datalounger said he/she worked on the show, we have a real insider here.

by Anonymousreply 40October 10, 2015 10:25 AM

It can not be about The Walking Dead. The OP is about an existing storyline. There is no existing gay storyline in TWD. You can't end something that hasn't started.

by Anonymousreply 41October 10, 2015 10:32 AM

R22 = W&W!

by Anonymousreply 42October 10, 2015 10:37 AM

R41, they introduced a gay couple last season, and they're still alive, so you're wrong.

by Anonymousreply 43October 10, 2015 11:03 AM

R37 is correct

by Anonymousreply 44October 10, 2015 11:21 AM

As a gay man, even I get a bit perturbed to see too many gay story lines. They seemed to be stuck in to make a point rather than evolve naturally in the story. The lesbian relationship in HTGAWM just came out of nowhere and was utterly unnecessary. Even the lesbian thing in Empire didn't make much sense. One gay story line is fine but don't become LOGO.

by Anonymousreply 45October 10, 2015 12:21 PM

Empire - duh. That viewing demographic does not want to see any godless queers. It's more important to uphold the rapper-thug and ABW stereotypes, you see.

by Anonymousreply 46October 10, 2015 12:33 PM

R46, the show was created by an out gay man. There's no way in hell that the gay storyline will be dropped.

Like I said.. I could see it with Black Sails, The Walking Dead, DOOL or The Bold & The Beautiful, but not with Empire.

by Anonymousreply 47October 10, 2015 12:38 PM

R41 apparently never watched Season 5 of The Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 48October 10, 2015 12:41 PM

DOOL killed its main gay character yesterday. RIP Strudel.

by Anonymousreply 49October 10, 2015 1:06 PM

[quote]It could also be Black Sails.

It's too bad if it is - it was a fantastic twist that made the show 100% more interesting. But the fanboys felt betrayed and went ballistic. So sick of homophobic dudebros fucking it up for everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 50October 10, 2015 2:15 PM

The 700 Club

by Anonymousreply 51October 10, 2015 2:38 PM

I believe the person who claims to be an insider from "How to Get Away With Murder" personally. And honestly I think it was the right decision, I didn't think Viola Davis was great at having real chemistry with a woman so better to keep Annalise's relationships with men.

And they already have a prominent gay character in Connor, the show is plenty gay as it is.

by Anonymousreply 52October 10, 2015 2:48 PM

Our receptionist was fine with the gay storyline on HTGAWM, but thought that the Annalise lesbian thing was too much and vowed not to watch the show again. It's usually the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 53October 10, 2015 3:16 PM

The Annalise lesbian thing was too much. Like somebody already pointed out, it came out of nowhere and it didn't come naturally with the story. And Viola Davis had absolutely no chemistry with her gf

by Anonymousreply 54October 10, 2015 3:19 PM

What about Fear The Walking Dead? That junkie kid was pretty close with his dealer. Maybe all the zombie fanboys got terrified of seeing a gay character and the producers will make him straight in the next season.

by Anonymousreply 55October 10, 2015 3:41 PM

[quote]Our receptionist was fine with the gay storyline on HTGAWM, but thought that the Annalise lesbian thing was too much and vowed not to watch the show again. It's usually the other way around.

The show has a mainly frau audience. Women usually watch soaps. HTGAWM is a primetime soap. There's less risk adding gay male characters to a soap than to a fanboy show (like Gotham, Arrow, Black Sails, The Walking Dead etc). On shows like that the risk is too high to add a gay character, so instead they add a lesbian to fill the LGBT quota. Women usually have nothing against gay men, it's the fanboys who are the problem. The exception is probably housewives, aka why they have so much against gay storylines on daytime soaps. Good thing the daytime soaps are dying out anyway.

by Anonymousreply 56October 10, 2015 3:55 PM

[quote]What about Fear The Walking Dead? That junkie kid was pretty close with his dealer. Maybe all the zombie fanboys got terrified of seeing a gay character and the producers will make him straight in the next season.

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 57October 10, 2015 3:56 PM

Everyone on this thread seems okay about this.

by Anonymousreply 58October 10, 2015 4:15 PM

[quote]As a gay man, even I get a bit perturbed to see too many gay story lines.

Geeze. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 59October 10, 2015 4:17 PM

I can't believe R45 gets away with a post like that. This site is changing everyday.

by Anonymousreply 60October 10, 2015 4:23 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that there are people here that have no idea what TPTB means...

by Anonymousreply 61October 10, 2015 4:43 PM

OP posted this crazy run-on sentence in the Days of Our Lives thread:

[quote]There's a new rumor going around that DOOL wants out of the gay storylines because of all the backlash they have been receiving since introducing the gay storyline from fans of the show who have complained and begged the show to drop the gay storyline and the show has finally listened to them and giving them what they want which is what you are currently seeing right now on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 10, 2015 4:44 PM

Hispanic Tranny for Gay Asian or White Male

by Anonymousreply 63October 10, 2015 4:47 PM

Empire

by Anonymousreply 64October 10, 2015 5:15 PM

r55 Actually, on IMDB a lot of fans wanted the dealer to live so they could explore that relationship further.

And I thought Strand had some interest in the junkie kid.

by Anonymousreply 65October 10, 2015 5:21 PM

I didn't get anything sexual in that scene in "Fear of the Waking Dead." To me that was all about dependency and addiction.

by Anonymousreply 66October 10, 2015 5:34 PM

Sorry R66 but dealers don't treat their buyers like that. Dealers love seeing their buyers squirming and desperate.

by Anonymousreply 67October 10, 2015 5:43 PM

The Marisa Tomei lesbian storyline on Empire was cheesy. Nothing serious about it. I love Marisa but the whole thing wasn't convincing at all.

by Anonymousreply 68October 10, 2015 5:47 PM

Soap?

by Anonymousreply 69October 10, 2015 5:55 PM

I hope it's not Empire. I just got done saying in the Empire thread how lackluster Jamal's story has been since the season premiere.

by Anonymousreply 70October 10, 2015 5:58 PM

Probably Mr Robot. There was a fairly graphic gay sex scene which caught everyone by surprise. It received a fair number of complaints specifically about that.

by Anonymousreply 71October 10, 2015 6:03 PM

I'm fucking sick of having het storylines shoved in our face in every media.

by Anonymousreply 72October 10, 2015 6:09 PM

OP's post is about a daytime soap opera. See r62.

by Anonymousreply 73October 10, 2015 6:09 PM

Looks like it's DOOL

by Anonymousreply 74October 10, 2015 6:45 PM

If they drop the gay storyline from DAYS, they won't live to see their 55th anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 75October 10, 2015 6:52 PM

REMOVE ALL GAY SEX ACTS AND GAY PEOPLE FROM THE MEDIA!!!

by Anonymousreply 76October 10, 2015 7:25 PM

I think DOOL wants the 18-30 demographic and the plus 50 demographic. Will Horton's generation belonged to the 30-50 demographic which is the worst for daytime. That said, I'll bet they will have a gay storyline among the NuTeens.

by Anonymousreply 77October 10, 2015 8:07 PM

They're clearly talking about the fourth hour of the Today Show. "Cooze Day Tuesday" is going to go back to being called "Booze Day Tuesday".

by Anonymousreply 78October 10, 2015 8:13 PM

R48 Yes I watched Season 5. The gay storyline was so small that I forgot about it. Nevermind.

by Anonymousreply 79October 10, 2015 9:26 PM

R78 were Kathie Lee and Hoda an item?

by Anonymousreply 80February 27, 2021 7:55 PM

Dynasty

by Anonymousreply 81February 27, 2021 7:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!