Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about Arthur Hailey's Hotel starring Anne Baxter!

Any fans of the St Gregory's constant shenanigans and / or James Brolin's turn as sexy bearded general manager Peter McDermott, please share your memories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 26, 2020 12:52 AM

The opening titles of the pilot with Bette Davis 'as Mrs. Trent'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2015 5:03 PM

So much majesty at the St. Gregory! Even if you were just a lowly bellboy, like Joseph Spound, your life was filled with glamour and drama!

by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2015 5:15 PM

It had DL fav Erin Moran in it!

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2015 5:26 PM

Love Boat on land basically. Of course it had better guest stars. Liz Taylor did the first episode. Would've loved to have seen Bette Davis do the whole series if her health would've held up. Anne Baxter did a nice job though. Love the All About Eve parallel.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2015 5:30 PM

[quote] Even if you were just a lowly bellboy, like Joseph Spound

It was Michael Spound, not Joseph.

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2015 5:33 PM

They need to do a mashup of this and American Horror Story: Hotel.

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2015 5:43 PM

Completely lame Love Boat knock off.

I had forgotten about it until seeing this thread

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2015 5:55 PM

Opening titles was the best part of it.

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2015 5:57 PM

WOW, shows had looooooooong opening titles back then.

Is that the St. Francis?

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2015 5:58 PM

I, too, preferred this over The Love Boat; it only occasionally featured a comedy storyline; usually it was pretty serious, and towards the end -- I believe following Anne Baxter's death -- it turned into a semi-soap opera, with various individuals vying to take control of the hotel.

One of my favorite episodes featured hottie Doug Barr from The Fall Guy as a gay man trying to retain custody of his daughter (Missy Francis) following the death of his ex-wife; the ex-wife's parents (Lloyd Bochner, Marion Ross) are suing him to get custody themselves. Michael Sabatino of Days of Our Lives' fame played Doug's boyfriend.

Here's the opening titles for an episode with guest stars Karen Grassle (Little House), Martin Hewitt (Endless Love), Janet Wyatt and a very young Tori Spelling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2015 6:02 PM

Never watched regularly, Shea Farrell was so handsome the first couple years of this. Saw him a few years after it ended on MURDER, SHE WROTE (I know, what does this post say about my viewing habits?) and he'd gotten fat!

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2015 6:06 PM

James Brolin and Connie Sellecca were gorgeous together. Him with his sexy beard and her with her long, flowing dark hair.

The sets were impressive as were the guest stars.

A shame they stopped releasing the rest of the seasons on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2015 6:10 PM

Shea Farrell was the blond pretty boy of the cast. I had a huge crush on him back then. Alas, those days are long gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2015 6:16 PM

'I hope you'll have a comfortable...and a profitable stay with us'

Here's doomed hottie Jon-Erik Hexum guest -starring!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2015 6:26 PM

Timothy Patrick Murphy! He was so adorable. So sad.

Who in the world is Philip Coccioletti? I thought I was pretty up on 80s hotties, but I've never heard of him.

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2015 6:35 PM

Tori Spelling was unfortunate looking as a child. How did she ever land a spot on TV? Did she know someone?

by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2015 6:57 PM

I remember I was so excited for this show. Alas, it never lived up to the hype and quickly fell off my list of shows to watch. It was sort of a Love Boat except for more serious societal issues instead of comedy. And it didn't do it very well. I did lust after James Brolin, though. Love a guy who can rock a beard like that!

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2015 6:59 PM

It sucks.

by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2015 7:18 PM

Philip Coccioletti?

Why, he's my new jerk off hotel set fantasy,that's who, R15

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2015 7:29 PM

Didn't Maxwell Caulfield appear in it with his (in real life) ancient wife?

by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2015 8:14 PM

[quote] Didn't Maxwell Caulfield appear in it with his (in real life) ancient wife?

She's not that ancient..only 18 years older than Max

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2015 8:20 PM

[quote]It was Michael Spound, not Joseph.

Hmm... All these years, I've been calling him Joe and he's never said a word!

by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2015 9:02 PM

r17 Well it lasted five seasons so it didn't do too badly.

That opening always seemed more '70s to me than '80s.

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2015 9:10 PM

It was always fun to see the stars of different eras and mediums mixing and mingling. I remember an episode with Susan George and Sarah Jessica Parker!

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2015 11:44 PM

Read all about it, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2015 9:59 PM

Oh, that's nice R25. Bette looks just wonderful in her burgundy gown.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2015 10:07 PM

All 5 seasons are being released on DVD on the 20th of this month in a complete collection. Retail price is $250, tho!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2015 12:40 AM

OMG people are going to accuse me of being a Hotel 'shill', lol. That box set WILL be mine!

by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2015 12:49 AM

The movie was much better.

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2015 3:46 AM

Thanks, r27. Looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2015 4:14 AM

I agree,R29 anything is better with Rod Taylor in it.

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2015 4:28 AM

Damn, you bitches sure know how to take me back. Hadn't thought about this show in YEARS.

by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2015 4:33 AM

Robert Reed in his only gay role - on Hotel!

See it right here on DL!:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2015 11:04 AM

I remember when TV shows stopped doing intros like the ones and thought it was a loss, but now they seem so embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2015 11:19 AM

The Hotel intro has a quaint, and glamorous charm. I particularly enjoy James / Peter strolling purposefully through the lobby. I like to imagine him on the way to the elevator, en route to my penthouse suite.

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2015 4:17 PM

The lobby of the Hotel was the BIGGEST set in TV history at that time.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2015 4:19 PM

[quote] The lobby of the Hotel was the BIGGEST set in TV history at that time.

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2015 4:23 PM

Susan George -- there's a name I haven't heard in too long! I didn't know she did any television in the US!

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2015 11:48 AM

'In the fabled heart of San Francisco, the exquisite St. Gregory Hotel is the city's premiere destination. As the guests check in, their lives, loves, secrets and revelations--as well as the professional & personal affairs of the accommodating staff -- play out. '

Stewart Granger guest starred, according to imdv

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2015 3:28 PM

It gave me bedbugs.

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2015 2:04 AM

Such a dreadful 80s show. Totally forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2015 2:22 AM

Ed Begley jr called Heidi Bohay "hi hee hoe hay" on some game show they were doing. She was noticeably upset.

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2015 2:28 AM

I went to college with Michael Spound--shallow frat boy type, even if kinda pretty.

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2015 3:52 AM

I remember channel-surfing once and landing on one of those "Celebrity Practical Jokes" shows co-hosted by Ed McMahon and Dick Clark. Heidi Bohay and Michael Spound were visiting an underprivileged youth home, and bringing the kids a boom box as a gift. They were stopped by Security, who found a huge butcher knife hidden inside the boom box (placed by the show of course.). As they were being grilled by Security, Heidi Bohay was near tears, and Michael Spound appeared mortified -- all to the accompaniment of a chortling Ed McMahon!

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2015 6:23 PM

Tippi at R31, I agree that I'd be better with Rod Taylor in me.

Well, young, alive Rod Taylor that is. Not dead, decomposing Rod.

by Anonymousreply 45October 18, 2015 9:30 PM

When I was a young boy and saw The Glass Bottomed Boat I decided I was going to spend the rest of my life with Rod Taylor or someone exactly like him.

It didn't happen. I thought that most men looked that way but they don't.

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2015 9:45 PM

The box set is out now ($99 on Amazon). Second season has Liz Tayor in full camp-mode (and near wardrobe malfunction).

This also has the episode featuring Robert Reed as a closet case married to Deidre Hall and River Phoenix as their son.

by Anonymousreply 47November 3, 2015 5:12 AM

So far at season three, and already they have had three major gay storylines - and all positive towards the gay characters.

by Anonymousreply 48January 25, 2016 1:33 PM

The TV series was boring, The 1967 movie it was based on is much better.

by Anonymousreply 49January 25, 2016 1:41 PM

This reran on SoapNet, but I never bothered to watch it. Any good?

I was more into Knots, Dynasty, The Colbys, and Dallas reruns.

by Anonymousreply 50April 26, 2020 12:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!