Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Salo

What are your thoughts on the film?

by Anonymousreply 38August 2, 2020 4:49 PM

I used to think it was kinda hot. But most of it is fake. You can see the real thing on the Internet now.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2015 9:46 PM

I have beat off while watching parts of it. The more disgusting parts I fast forward thru. My thoughts on the film are that it makes me horny and feeling bad for such horrors making me horny.

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2015 9:47 PM

Was the first time I stopped a film after only so far in. Too much for this dude.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2015 9:58 PM

Boring movie about power.

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2015 10:00 PM

Unwatchable piece of shit, I mean, really "shit"

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2015 10:16 PM

It's an ugly movie that does nothing more than remind us that Pasolini liked filming naked men.

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2015 10:19 PM

I downloaded the movie when I was a teen just to see the nude scenes and just like R2 I jerked off to the famous "Trousers up, shirts down" scene where two cute guys show their hairy uncut dicks in close up.

I finally watched the whole thing only recently and there's actually a really good movie hiding in there somewhere, behind all the grossness. Pasolini became a bit too over-the-top for my taste later in his career, so I prefer his earlier neorealist masterpieces like Mamma Roma and Accatone.

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2015 10:26 PM

Whoops, that's "Trousers down, shirts up" not "Trousers up, shirts down". Mamma mia, che vergogna!

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2015 10:32 PM

It's boring beyond belief, and so obviously fake.

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2015 10:49 PM

I actually really love this movie. It is grotesque, yes, but the cinematography in it is stunning. Thematically, it really beats the viewer over the head—it's all about the potential horrors of unchecked political power, 1000x over—but I still find it a fascinating, utterly strange movie. There is also a plethora of gorgeous, young, naked Italian men onscreen throughout it, which is possibly worth the price of admission, depending on who you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2020 5:52 AM

I returned my Hershey bar to the concession stand uneaten.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2020 5:54 AM

I prefer Querelle (1982, directed by Fassbinder).

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2020 5:55 AM

It’s much too long. Maybe the director was trying to give some numbing sense of isolation... but it seems to drag on FOREVER.

There are scenes in it I’ll never forget, though. (For better or worse.)

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2020 6:11 AM

I too have admittedly jacked off to a few scenes in this movie. I sought it out as a teenager for the notoriety/shock factor, but while actually watching it ended up more focused on the male nudity and explicit sex scenes. At the time, it was one of the few movies I'd seen that showed full-on gay sex. I still find this scene hot—the top is beautiful (though he appears to be wearing an oversized prosthetic dick).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2020 6:17 AM

It's one of the few films that I still think is genuinely shocking. I admit I could not watch the last five minutes (which include a scene of a young woman being scalped in close-up). The special effects may look unconvincing these days, but it convinced me plenty. I will say that I think the film is a misinterpretation of Sade's message and aesthetic and I would not equate Italian Fascism with Sadean philosophy, which was about the dead-end of libertarianism.

Sade is, for me, a cautionary writer.

Also, for all the beautiful young men and women in this thing it is about as sexy as watching a root canal.

by Anonymousreply 15August 1, 2020 6:33 AM

It's scrumptious!

by Anonymousreply 16August 1, 2020 6:37 AM

The over the top hysterics cover the real sinister darkness that's fascism. Once the authorities and the Church were on to him they had Pasolini murdered, I'm sure of that.

by Anonymousreply 17August 1, 2020 7:12 AM

I've actually been to Pasolini's murder site. Is that weird?

by Anonymousreply 18August 1, 2020 7:29 AM

I think what’s weird is we had a Salo thread a few months ago. Is this movie really that beloved??

I mean, ick.

by Anonymousreply 19August 1, 2020 7:44 AM

I hated the obvious fake dicks but liked moments of the film.

by Anonymousreply 20August 1, 2020 8:20 AM

R14 - wonderful monobrow

by Anonymousreply 21August 1, 2020 11:09 AM

r19 This thread is from 2015.

by Anonymousreply 22August 1, 2020 7:25 PM

Trust us to zero in on what really matters to us: the dicks.

by Anonymousreply 23August 1, 2020 11:10 PM

The camp aspect of old glamorous bitches (whose heyday was the 1930s) telling their Sadean stories dressed to the nines does it for me.

by Anonymousreply 24August 1, 2020 11:41 PM

Anyone see the film "Pasolini" (2019), the biopic starring Willem Dafoe? Is it good? Should I stream it?

by Anonymousreply 25August 1, 2020 11:45 PM

My favorite film, by far.

by Anonymousreply 26August 1, 2020 11:48 PM

I've been desensitized by the internet so it doesn't really shock me. I skip through the poop scenes. It's not unwatchable to the point where I have to look away to avoid wretching, if someone sat me down and forced me to watch it I could probably get through it without gagging, but it's just gross to me to the point where it isn't even funny so I don't bother with watching it.

Some of the scenes are hot. Others are boring. It's campy, sadistic fun. It didn't have nearly enough sodomy for me but it was still alright.

by Anonymousreply 27August 1, 2020 11:58 PM

I saw it in a London in 1988 at an underground theatre. I think it was banned there at the time

by Anonymousreply 28August 2, 2020 12:14 AM

Speaking of shockers, how many have seen Larry Clark's film Ken Park? It was never theatrically released, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 29August 2, 2020 1:40 AM

What about "Pasolini" (2019)? Hello??? Anyone????!

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2020 1:44 AM

A tough, tough watch , and I'm the biggest film snob you'll meet.

by Anonymousreply 31August 2, 2020 1:46 AM

R30, I’m planning to watch it tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 32August 2, 2020 1:47 AM

[quote]It's campy, sadistic fun. It didn't have nearly enough sodomy for me but it was still alright.

But enough about "Little House on the Prairie."

by Anonymousreply 33August 2, 2020 5:28 AM

Great family movie. Watched it with everyone last weekend. Grandma is still raving about it.

by Anonymousreply 34August 2, 2020 7:38 AM

r34 = Johnny Depp

by Anonymousreply 35August 2, 2020 9:53 AM

I hate it how this film usually gets grouped with crappy films like "The Human Centipede", "Cannibal Holocaust" etc. Unlike those other icky films "Salo" actually has something interesting to say and the production values are top notch; Morricone's main theme alone is worth the cash.

by Anonymousreply 36August 2, 2020 10:22 AM

I saw "Ken Park" in a fleapit in Paris about 15 years ago. Visalia, CA never looked more deplorable. The piss and cum shots only added to the miserabilism of it all.

by Anonymousreply 37August 2, 2020 12:46 PM

I just watched the 2019 film. Dafoe was terrific, as expected—he’s our most underappreciated actor. The film itself was fine, with some interesting parts. I liked the interview scene the best.

by Anonymousreply 38August 2, 2020 4:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!