Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Freddy Mercury

Is Freddy Mercury largely forgotten by today's generation? Has music moved past his flamboyant power ballads?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2020 12:25 AM

Freddy Mercury may not be remembered, but I hear Queen songs in movies and TV pretty frequently.

by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2015 10:12 PM

It's Freddie, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2015 10:13 PM

Bite your fingers, OP. FM is still a god.

by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2015 10:16 PM

I think some people are discovering, or re-discovering, Freddy Mercury through Adam Lambert. While Lambert is good filling in for Mercury in Queen, hopefully they're seeing how great and special Freddy Mercury really was.

by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2015 10:27 PM

Still waiting for the FM movie bio. Sasha Baron Cohen at one time was interested and would've been fantastic but then nothing happened.

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2015 10:28 PM

There is a poster of him hanging in my son's orthodontist's office.

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2015 10:28 PM

Unfortunately, no, he isn't forgotten. I hear millennials talking about him all the time. (I'm 52.) I wouldn't call any of those songs "power ballads" though.

by Anonymousreply 7October 7, 2015 10:35 PM

R7 is right, Queen didn't do ballads. He's not unknown to millenials, I'm guessing a lot of them grew up in households where Queen was played.

by Anonymousreply 8October 7, 2015 10:41 PM

What is a power ballad anyway?

I would call "We Will Rock You" and "We are the Champions" anthems.

by Anonymousreply 9October 7, 2015 10:58 PM

He was Freddie, not Freddy and of course he's not forgotten. He was a genius.

r5, the latest news about that Freddie film is that Ben Whishaw was supposed to play Freddie, but god knows if we're ever going to see it.

by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2015 11:07 PM

Ben Whishaw???? Don't get me wrong, Ben Whishaw is a wonderful actor, but he seems all wrong. Not to mention that "Freddie Mercury" was actually Farrokh Bulsara, a Zoroastrian of Parsi origin. There are so few of us Parsis left that, according to genealogy research my aunt did in Mumbai, he was my second cousin, once removed. Wish I'd known that when Freddie was still around.

With less than 100k Parsis left in the world, it might be a stretch to expect a studio to find a Parsi actor, but surely they could find an actor of South Asian or Persian descent? Parsis are, essentially, descendants of Persian Zoroastrian refugees who fled what is modern day Persia during Muslim invasions and settled in India.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2015 7:02 AM

Oops. That SHOULD read....

[quote]Parsis are, essentially, descendants of Persian Zoroastrian refugees who fled what is modern day IRAN during Muslim invasions and settled in India.

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2015 7:05 AM

I wonder if the orthodontist R6 mentions wanted to get his hands on Freddie's choppers.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2015 10:44 PM

He was so sexy. Loved his teeth.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2015 11:06 PM

Freddie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2015 11:11 PM

R14 I remember reading somewhere that he loathed his teeth and would've loved to get something done about them but it would've changed how he sang so he couldn't.

Loved him. Big flamboyant flaming queenie Queen queen. A true showman and up to his eyes in talent. I love all the other Queen guys too. Brian May is a sweetheart, very kind, loves animals, a good friend to Patrick Moore.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2015 11:18 PM

R14 You do you...

by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2020 10:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2020 11:27 PM

My kid is 13 and he and his friends can sing along to every Queen song that comes on.

by Anonymousreply 19November 18, 2020 12:19 AM

Op, absolutely not. Queen performs even better than Michael Jackson among legacy artists on spotify. They are THE best performing legacy artist on spotify. That movie also made them even more popular among the younger generation.

by Anonymousreply 20November 18, 2020 12:24 AM

Queen has the most streams on Spotify for 20th century artists, so no.

by Anonymousreply 21November 18, 2020 12:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!