Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who Here Loved the CATHY Comic Strip?

What a delight... a pal forwarded me this link to a CATHY cartoon. I thought the author gave up her daily strip years ago.

I loved CATHY so much growing up: as a shy young gayling, I identified with the grown-up Cathy, facing the issues and challenges of eating, work, relationships and having a mother, "the four basic guilt groups." Hee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 1, 2020 6:18 AM

I loved Andy Samburg as Cathy. Does that count?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2015 9:16 PM

AAACK!!!

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2015 9:19 PM

Sorry, OP, but no. I am not going to read comic strips with reader comments. Just. Isn't. Going. To. Happen.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2015 9:27 PM

I found it tedious and too hung up on weight. Unfunny, too.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2015 9:28 PM

CHOCOLATE!

CHOCOLATE!

CHOCOLATE!

AACK!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2015 9:40 PM

I remember the arc where she dated a younger man, who was all ready to go to the gym at midnight, when Cathy just wanted to sleep.

And then they went camping...

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2015 9:45 PM

These might be reruns -- I recall it ended with Cathy getting pregnant...

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2015 9:46 PM

You call THAT overeating?

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2015 10:16 PM

As a lesbian I looked down on ditzy, flaky, man-crazy and food-obsessed Cathy, although now looking back I realize she was a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2015 10:42 PM

Frau comic strip.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2015 10:47 PM

The only Cathy I liked were Cathy and Kathy from Kids in the Hall

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2015 10:50 PM

I liked it. A lot of the strips were right on the mark when it came to a single woman's life. But It thought it totally copped out by having Cathy get married and get pregnant. I guess a lot of fans of the strip thought it was the perfect happy ending, but I thought it was a "jump the shark" way of ending the strip. Marriage and a baby; you can't get much more jump the shark than that.

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2015 11:10 PM

I stick with Apartment 3-G myself.

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2015 4:38 AM

I'm a Mary Worth gal -- I mean guy.

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2015 4:41 AM

Cathy got married a couple of years before the strip ended. I think that was where it jumped the shark. It had to be difficult for Guisewite the creator as she aged (she's in her 60s now) to keep putting forth comics about the perpetually 30 something Cathy, when she was so closely linked to the character and was clearly a long way from 30 (and thin, and married with a child). Also Guisewite was such a boomer and the strip was so boomer oriented that her talking about a single woman in her 30s in the 2000s didn't seem particularly authentic.

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2015 8:47 AM

I read Cathy every day and up till the late 90s it was funny. In the 80s it was VERY funny. I recall laughing out loud at the library reading her very early stuff. I don't know why they never put her stuff from the 70s in books. True the art was absolutely horrible in them, Guisewite much improved her drawing ability as she went along, but they were among the best years.

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2015 11:31 AM

[quote]Cathy got married a couple of years before the strip ended. I think that was where it jumped the shark.

I would say a bit early about 1998. The problem was whenever the creator put Cathy in a new situation it was very funny. But she kept returning Cathy to her parents and Irving and the same old office (after Cathy got rehired). Those situations and characters were funny once but were worn out. It was so wrong for Cathy to marry Irving.

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2015 11:33 AM

There were so many excellent storylines earlier.

When her boss sexually harassed her and Cathy knocked him out and when the boss woke up instead of being mad (as she thought he'd be) he thought he had spent the night with her.

Early on when Emmerson pursued Cathy to her disdain.

Her boyfriend the personal trainer who was younger

Her boyfriend the doctor.

When she dated the old man, (I'm dating my grandfather!!!)

Her mother's school reunion was hysterical

Andrea's militant feminism

Later on when Andrea abandoned it to marry a man she hadn't met in a month.

When she bought her first computer

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2015 11:37 AM

[quote]True the art was absolutely horrible in them, Guisewite much improved her drawing ability as she went along, but they were among the best years.

There was a "Zippy the Pinhead" strip where he was complaining about the other comics on the comics page and said, "And Cathy! It looks like she drops string on the floor and Xeroxes it!"

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2015 4:07 PM

I've always wondered who was a fan of that comic.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2015 4:14 PM

I find most comics catering to the 'family values' crowd. None are edgy, or rarely would give me a smile, or an outright laugh. Yawn. . .

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2015 4:22 PM

I bought some used Cathy compilations from the 70s online (sad, I know) and while the art was terrible, the content was much edgier. It dealt a lot more with Cathy (and Iriving's) sex life, as in, it was clear that both were quite sexually active and not just with one another. Mirroring the whole conservative boomer shift that occurred in the 80s, Cathy's love life became a lot more chaste, and the strip regressed to a sort of 1950s mentality with Cathy freaking out about her big date on Saturday night. Sex was hardly mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 22October 7, 2015 4:05 PM

I laughed at the appearance of the "How Annoying" category link at the bottom of this thread more than I EVER laughed at "Cathy".

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2015 10:02 PM

[quote]while the art was terrible, the content was much edgier. It dealt a lot more with Cathy (and Irving's) sex life, as in, it was clear that both were quite sexually active

That was most likely a result of everyone toning down sex due to the AIDS crisis.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2015 10:04 PM

Emmerson was much better than Irving, marrying Cathay off was the worst mistake evah.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2017 12:02 PM

I shared a two hour bus ride with Guisewhite once in the late 80s (long story). Nice lady, very funny, great conversation.

by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2017 12:25 PM

[quote] I shared a two hour bus ride with Guisewhite once in the late 80s

Oh, so you were on the M79 crosstown?

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2017 2:02 PM

R16 Maybe people were just more innocent then and it was easier to get a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 28April 4, 2020 2:29 AM

The frau-iest frau shit that's ever been frau'd

by Anonymousreply 29April 4, 2020 2:35 AM

CATHY was the voice of a generation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 4, 2020 2:46 AM

I miss Cathy!

by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2020 4:10 AM

Thanks for the memories. I read Cathy religiously back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2020 4:24 AM

Brenda Starr was so much more glamorous. Cathy looked like a fire plug and made those guttural noises. Maybe all the chocolate didn’t agree with her since she didn’t actually have a digestive system.

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2020 4:29 AM

Like the lesbian upthread, I looked down on Cathy. She reminded me of my mother’s friend Lisa who was perpetually single and self-deprecating and neurotic.

And, as the lesbian DLer says, I realize now that she was a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 34September 1, 2020 5:41 AM

Cathy was a fag hag. They didn't show the cartoons of her hanging out a gay bars with her gay pal.

by Anonymousreply 35September 1, 2020 5:50 AM

I really identified with her boyfriend Irving's struggles as a closeted gay man in a relationship with a woman he loathes.

by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2020 6:07 AM

It was definitely one of the strips I read regularly in the 80s. Not particularly brilliant, but LOL often enough to be in the top 10. The daily comics era ended for me with the demise of The Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes.

by Anonymousreply 37September 1, 2020 6:12 AM

Pearls Before Swine meets Cathy. Pearls cartoonist Stephen Pastis had mocked other strips as well, most notable Family Circus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 1, 2020 6:17 AM

When I was a kid, I had a crush on Irving. I figured if he could like Cathy, somebody could like me.

Sad but true.

by Anonymousreply 39September 1, 2020 6:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!