Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Leftovers Season 2

Tonight was the premiere of the reworked "The Leftovers" on HBO ... anyone watch?

by Anonymousreply 282July 31, 2020 5:21 AM

I am watching it now (repeat), I have no idea what this show is about, haven't watched season 1 yet.

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2015 4:30 AM

"I have no idea what this show is about"

Well, then, you're perfectly qualified to judge the show, using DataLounge standards.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2015 6:07 AM

what the shit? Just started watching it and there is a filthy pregnant woman peeing. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2015 6:21 AM

What's this slow crap with the black family? They sure are not going to get new viewers with this.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2015 6:52 AM

Didn't the wife and the psychic star on family shows in the 80's?

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2015 6:53 AM

I'm wondering what the people from the other town are doing there. I didn't remember the ex-sheriff's girlfriend being the sister of the minister. But it can't be a good sign that both families are there.

Also, WTF with the fire chief burning down people's houses?

The son is cute. And did the daughter and her friends get sucked in a fracking hole? When the girls were running naked in the forest I kind of got the idea that they were acting out their idea of what it was like to disappear.

And I thought the earthquakes were a result of the fracking, but of course there was the opening which was apparently during prehistoric times. And also the town had what appeared to be a small fault line under a plexiglass barrier.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2015 12:00 PM

The black father did not look happy with the white minister from last season. Did the minister's wife improve?

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2015 12:27 PM

I was surprised they showed those 3 young women naked.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2015 12:43 PM

I feel like the audience is an annoyance to the people making this show.

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2015 1:02 PM

I thought there was a lot of potential last season that seemed wasted. Even more so now that they've basically thrown out that season and started anew.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2015 1:55 PM

[quote]I have no idea what this show is about, haven't watched season 1 yet.

Trust me - watching season 1 isn't going to clarify matters.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2015 2:23 PM

And what was up with the sacrifice?

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2015 7:35 PM

Its a parable on lesbians run amok in Northhampton MA

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2015 7:55 PM

Absolutely HATE the new title song. UGH. Nasty twangy country crap.

But the images are actually interesting. But damn, they need to lose that opener soundtrack.

MUCH preferred the opening to last year's season.

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2015 2:04 AM

I liked the first episode. Lots of mystery. I can't wait to find out more about the cave woman from the opening act.

by Anonymousreply 15October 6, 2015 2:09 AM

What the fuck WAS that with the first 15 minutes of prehistoric childbirth and death?

by Anonymousreply 16October 6, 2015 2:14 AM

More David Lindelof "weird for the sake of being weird."

by Anonymousreply 17October 6, 2015 2:20 AM

Wasn't this supposed to be based on books? Did they give up on following the books entirely?

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2015 2:21 AM

[quote]Absolutely HATE the new title song. UGH. Nasty twangy country crap.

I doubt that's going to be the standard opening credits.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2015 2:26 AM

I enjoyed it. I really liked last season. The point last season was not to explain what had happened but to show how people reacted to it, the varying emotional ruptures the characters underwent. I haven't read the book. Supposedly, last season basically ended where the book ends. This season is broadening out the ideas from last season. Also, I read a preview in NYTimes of the first four episodes of this season. The next couple of episodes are supposed to explain who the characters from last year have ended up in the Texas town.

R14, I have very eclectic musical tastes. I'd like to have the opening song sung at my funeral--no time soon, though.

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2015 2:27 AM

Why do you say that, R19?

by Anonymousreply 21October 6, 2015 2:29 AM

Think they'll show three hot guys running through the woods naked sometime this season to balance out the naked chicks running through the woods?

by Anonymousreply 22October 6, 2015 2:31 AM

[quote]Why do you say that, [R19]?

I felt it was too eclectic to be something that's used every week. However, I just Googled and found out it WILL be the opening credit song for the season.

Let The Mystery Be:

Everybody's wonderin' what and where

They all came from

Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go

When the whole thing's done

But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me

I think I'll just let the mystery be

Some say once gone you're gone forever

And some say you're gonna come back

Some say you rest in the arms of the Savior

If in sinful ways you lack

Some say that they're comin' back in a garden

Bunch of carrots and little sweet peas

Everybody's wonderin' what and where

They all came from

Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go

Some say they're goin' to a place called Glory

And I ain't saying it ain't a fact

But I've heard that I'm on the road to Purgatory

And I don't like the sound of that

I believe in love and I live my life accordingly

But I choose to let the mystery be

Everybody is wondering what and where

They all came from

Everybody is worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 6, 2015 2:46 AM

I thought it was pretty lame, actually, right up until the last few minutes. Then dammit, they hooked me.

And the ending credits were almost as bad as the opening credits.

by Anonymousreply 24October 6, 2015 3:05 AM

I need to know why they're burning houses and why those girls disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 25October 6, 2015 3:12 AM

Good luck, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26October 6, 2015 3:17 AM

Do they still have those non verbal people wearing white and smoking up a storm ?

by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2015 1:18 PM

Considering the type of people HBO has directing its shows, are you really surprised it's a mess?

by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2015 1:29 PM

I want the mother in white to come back. I like that actress.

None of it made sense, but I did love the song.

by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2015 1:38 PM

Iris DeMent is awesome.

I'm glad they retooled the show, since the first season pretty much ate up the novel it's based on. So far, I'm hooked, but wary that it will become another LOST i.e. WTF!

by Anonymousreply 30October 9, 2015 1:55 PM

No, R27. Completely different city. MOSTLY new characters.

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2015 6:14 PM

I think it's pretty safe to assume it'll be mostly "WTF".

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2015 2:01 AM

Damon Lindelof Ruins Everything should be the name of this show.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2015 5:52 AM

Very surprised that more don't like this show. The first season was good. It's very, VERY bleak and disconcerting and got under my skin. Reminds me of Six Feet Under, similar feel except without humor.

I hated the first season opening credits with the hokey music and synthesizer strings, so the twangy one is a step up.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2015 6:59 AM

Episode 2 has them back in Mapleton.

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2015 1:20 AM

Yeah, I thought the new season was in a new setting but this second episode was mostly in the old setting. In some cases tying up loose ends in a very pat way.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2015 3:47 AM

The estranged son (brother) is still hot. Sad he's not going to be seen more this season.

by Anonymousreply 37October 12, 2015 3:48 AM

Any new swinging' basket shots of Justin Theroux?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 12, 2015 4:00 AM

This show is so dark and hopeless, it should come with a warning for people with depression tendencies. I don't know if I can keep watching with the ghost of Patti popping up. She's hard to take.

by Anonymousreply 39October 12, 2015 4:05 AM

God damn it, Murial, I hate how you have to hit "post" 2 or 3 or 4 FUCKING times on an iPad or your post gets trashed

by Anonymousreply 40October 12, 2015 4:47 AM

She should have jumped to two million first, because it sure looks like it'll take a million to fix up that awful house.

by Anonymousreply 41October 12, 2015 4:47 AM

I love love love the opening song, and picture montage. I've listened to it a couple times already tonight. The only thing better would be if they used different poignant pics with each episode. SHOWRUNNERS TAKE NOTE.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2015 4:53 AM

I fucking hate that song. God I want to just stab it to death. Last season was so much better.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2015 4:56 AM

The nonverbal smokers in season 1 were a disaster. The only thing stupider would be if it was a radio show. They knew they needed to etiology it.

Personally, I think the US would become a fundamentalist prison if this Rapture-like event occurred. I suppose they can't do that without making a lot of enemy's, though.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2015 4:57 AM

Oh, it seems like they realized the smokers were a disaster, but not enough to kill Patty, even though she was already dead. The show deserves to die for bringing Patty back alone.

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2015 5:15 AM

Is there anyone who hates the song who is over 35? I have a theory is babygays who hate it.

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2015 5:18 AM

Oh, no, the dam is going to break!

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2015 5:21 AM

Wow, I guess he was really thirsty.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2015 5:24 AM

R46, I'm well over 30 (well over 40) and I loathe that fucking song. It's HORRIBLE. It has no redeeming value.

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2015 5:25 AM

I'm already liking this season better. The scenes from the rest of the season have me hooked.

by Anonymousreply 50October 12, 2015 5:39 AM

Pathos? You don't feel it pull at your heart? You don't feel the sense of loss, even as the singer says she'll just let it be? It's all about what happens when we're gone. I love the earnest football player. The disappearing Dancer, the bride so full of hope for a life togetherwith her husband. The little boy in bed looking in his parent/god's eyes, the Black ROTC family, and the hunters. I think the photos depict death in a way you don't usually see.

by Anonymousreply 51October 12, 2015 5:55 AM

It's shitty unlistenable music. Stop trying to make that honky-tonk crap happen. It's awful.

The photos are fine. Even the lyrics could be fine (I wouldn't know, I can't get past the awful music).

Last year's intro was superior in virtually every way. Mainly because it didn't drive me out of the room with how horrible it is. This is the only show I feel compelled to fast forward through the credits on. The song is fucking TERRIBLE. I want to claw my ears out when it comes on.

by Anonymousreply 52October 12, 2015 2:04 PM

Sounded to me like a different artist covered the opening song. I wonder if it's going to be like Little Boxes was for Weeds.

by Anonymousreply 53October 12, 2015 2:13 PM

Good morning, R52. Have some coffee.

I love the opening song! R52, I shall move on to a new line of questioning, as you have confounded my first line.

Do you like country music? I love it. I love the heartfelt talk of Jesus (or "Savior" as in the song). I love that you can dance to it easily enough (slow-slow-quick-quick). I like how it is often about family and country, and God.

by Anonymousreply 54October 12, 2015 2:31 PM

Ann Dowd, the dead bitch in white, is awesome in a little indie film Compliance. She plays a fast food restaurant manager who gets anonymous phone call complaints about one of her employees, a pretty blonde girl. The film turns into a ' he said/ she said ' low key thriller. Dowd is quite good.

by Anonymousreply 55October 12, 2015 2:59 PM

Did you all catch how it was suggested the event might happen again?

by Anonymousreply 56October 12, 2015 3:08 PM

Sure did, r56. Do we think Evie and her friends are Miracle's first departure? It's awfully strange how they found the car, locked with music blaring as if the girls had just been sitting inside it.

Another thought on Kevin: did he try to kill himself?

by Anonymousreply 57October 12, 2015 3:26 PM

R56, I think they related that people fear it will happen again, which is different.

by Anonymousreply 58October 12, 2015 3:34 PM

I understand this show ends being nuked in a microwave.

GET IT?

by Anonymousreply 59October 12, 2015 4:02 PM

R54, country music is mindless and godawful, for simpleton morons... exactly the kind that believe in invisible sky fairies and scream "Jesus Take The Wheel" as if that's the solution or answer to anything (hell, it goes against Jesus's own fucking teachings... morons!)

Country music sucks, and this opening theme sucks, and you suck.

by Anonymousreply 60October 12, 2015 5:17 PM

R60, you seem to be demented. Maybe if you let Jesus take the wheel, you wouldn't be so unhappy, or have such poor taste.

by Anonymousreply 61October 12, 2015 10:51 PM

can't believe this show still has an audience after that abomination of the first season. Lindelof or what's her name must have some serious dirt on HBO executives, it's the only reason they're blowing money producing another season of this shit

by Anonymousreply 62October 12, 2015 11:00 PM

R60, I defy you to not love the linked song. It's a dreary Xmas standard remade as a country & western/polka. It helps if you imagine the oboist and drummer in lederhosen with Hitler Youth haircuts. Also, it helps to have a sense of humor. It makes me laugh to hear it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2015 11:06 PM

Oh, yes, the accordion player in lederhosen as well, natch.

by Anonymousreply 64October 12, 2015 11:10 PM

R61 is projecting... accusing others of what's true of himself. Anyone who likes the title track (or country, or "Jesus Takes The Wheel") has no taste, and is in no position to criticize anyone else's taste.

by Anonymousreply 65October 12, 2015 11:56 PM

R65, this is your way of saying something like "that's what you are, what am I" or whatever child's saying that is.

by Anonymousreply 66October 13, 2015 12:07 AM

No, it's a simple observation of reality.

by Anonymousreply 67October 13, 2015 12:23 AM

I wonder if the crack in the earth that caused the water to drain away and the lucite covered crack in the road are connected. It'll be interesting to find out what caused the crack in the road.

by Anonymousreply 68October 13, 2015 2:19 AM

Is it just me, or did he have a cinder-block tied around his ankles? As in, he was thrown into the water to drown (or to try and kill himself?), but the water disappeared, so he lived?

Is that what we're supposed to get from that scene?

by Anonymousreply 69October 13, 2015 5:17 PM

Yes r69, my first thought was a suicide attempt.

by Anonymousreply 70October 13, 2015 5:45 PM

Maybe the Patti spectre is controlling Kevin, like when (s)he banged his head onto the stove top when he was trying to light his cigarette. GhostPatti/Kevin's guilt took him(self) to the reservoir and threw him in and just by luck the water drained out in time.

by Anonymousreply 71October 14, 2015 5:34 PM

Question for hunters. At the opening, at least 3 of 7 guys have their guns on their left shoulder. Does that mean they're left handed? That's a high proportion, making me think they're actors, not hunters. Can you tell from the way all hold their guns, their right/left handedness?

I noticed that the hunter who was taken also had his bird taken.

by Anonymousreply 72October 14, 2015 8:04 PM

The first season was messy, I wish I could have liked it more than I did. The season finale explained a lot. Not many likable characters, but it has interesting story lines.

by Anonymousreply 73October 14, 2015 8:27 PM

I want to know if those smoking people wearing white are still around.

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2015 12:57 PM

Your questions was answered already.

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2015 1:50 PM

***SPOILER***

Liv Tyler's character shoots herself in the head in the novel, so it's not like they've eaten up ALL the plot of the source material.

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2015 2:09 PM

Good, R76. She adds nothing. I had to go to IMDB to even see who she was. I still not sure, but she's not interesting.

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2015 2:30 PM

I went to grammer school with Amy Brenneman. Her father picked his nose, I remember. I loved her in Judging Amy. Hate her in this, so far, but give her some lines, some material, for Pete's sake. Who told her a role with no lines was a good idea? Maybe her Dad.

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2015 2:34 PM

The third episode's focusing on Laurie's story.

by Anonymousreply 79October 19, 2015 1:51 AM

Another excellent episode. Although I don't remember the intersection between him and Holy Wayne that Tommy was talking about. Was he bullshitting them?

by Anonymousreply 80October 19, 2015 2:05 AM

And lots of Chris Zylka peen.

by Anonymousreply 81October 19, 2015 2:07 AM

They did a good job of bringing everybody up to date with everything that has happened from last season until now. For some reason that I can't think of. Most of the episode was a recap. Odd.

I think the show totally jumped the shark when Amy attacked the book guy. They had a chance to dump the entire smokers' story line when they retooled. I wish they had. It's frustrating, the concept had promise.

by Anonymousreply 82October 19, 2015 2:43 AM

Boring episode to me. For unknown reasons, they spent much of it recapping the prior season. It was like they were saying "ok, is everybody with us, now?"

Then I thought it jumped the shark when Amy attacked that npbook guy. Stupid. Was that supposed to be drama?

by Anonymousreply 83October 19, 2015 3:28 AM

HBO had to think of any way to inject some sex into this show, so they had Liv Tyler show her bush and rape a man. Great job, HBO writers.

by Anonymousreply 84October 19, 2015 3:08 PM

CHRIS.

ZYLKA.

PEEN.

by Anonymousreply 85October 19, 2015 7:44 PM

That fucking theme song at the beginning is still like nails on a chalk board. Makes me want to stab my ears out with knitting needles.

by Anonymousreply 86October 20, 2015 2:10 AM

Nice dick and balls. And I want a hug.

by Anonymousreply 87October 20, 2015 3:06 AM

the question is real or fake, the digital or prosthetic penis are so prevalent these days, it's really hard to know it's his or not.

by Anonymousreply 88October 20, 2015 3:39 AM

I know that I'm alone, but I truly believe that this is one of the best shows on television. I can understand why it hasn't caught on, but goddamn it's a good hour of TV.

by Anonymousreply 89October 20, 2015 3:40 AM

I frame-by-framed it. It looked totally real.

by Anonymousreply 90October 20, 2015 3:43 AM

I didn't pay any attention to Zylka first season, but I'm intrigued by his potential development as successor to Holy Wayne. He comes across as a dumb pretty boy but he actually sold that concluding scene. Maybe he's an actor after all.

by Anonymousreply 91October 20, 2015 3:44 AM

First season was sometimes a chore, but I'm enjoying this season very much. It's different--and that's good.

by Anonymousreply 92October 20, 2015 3:47 AM

He had a frontal scene in season one too. He doesn't mind getting naked. And I think he's by far the hottest guy on the show, so ... him getting naked makes me glad I'm watching :-)

by Anonymousreply 93October 20, 2015 3:55 AM

R90 yes could be a real penis but whose? In Nymphomaniac not only the penis bu the sex acts are all real, the only problem is they are not from the actors, it's digitally stitched from body doubles. That's why I hate the current frontal and sex scenes, in the old days, either they do it or they don't, unlike now, they manipulate the scenes and they don't even tell you and keep you guessing.

by Anonymousreply 94October 20, 2015 4:01 AM

Chris Zylka peens and balls were definitely hot . But do you guys think Justin T will show his peen in this show? i am sure he has big dong

by Anonymousreply 95October 20, 2015 8:52 AM

I think that's been established, r95.

by Anonymousreply 96October 20, 2015 9:50 AM

89, I agree completely. 80, much of the story Tommy told was not true, especially about Holy Wayne showing up at the end.

by Anonymousreply 97October 20, 2015 10:23 PM

Holy Wayne actually told him he was faking it. He also mentioned he had impregnated several other Asian girls and had told them and their handlers how special their baby was going to be, etc. It's the reason the mother abandoned the baby--she learned that she'd been conned into having the baby in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 98October 21, 2015 6:06 AM

I'm interested to find out why Tommy faked being sick when he met up with Jill.

by Anonymousreply 99October 23, 2015 1:07 AM

He has super sexy hairy pits-- they were on display in Season 1

by Anonymousreply 100October 23, 2015 1:13 AM

Are you so deluded that you think they would pay another male stunt actor to recreate being shoved out of a van just to insert a different guy's dick, when they're already paying the speaking actor to do the same thing?

You are an ocean of stupid.

by Anonymousreply 101October 23, 2015 7:27 AM

R101 lives under a rock, HBO is the pioneer in that area, l. they started this whole "fake" real nude scenes, remember those explicit nudity and sex in "tell me you love me", all fake and none of them were real. And one more thing, "body double" is cheap, super cheap, $50 is more than enough for an art/figure model to be dragged out in nude, go to facebook art model groups, they post this all the time like a selfie with the hollywood studio access badge. If the actors agree with the nudity, that's good, but if they don't, not a real problem for the producers, it's really cheap and it's easy to manipulate a scene, the CGI technology is so advanced now it's just a few clicks away to make a perfect cut. Talking about the CGI, 3D stock footages are easily available to purchase, that includes the nudity and sex scenes, a custom made footage takes just a day or two to complete.

by Anonymousreply 102October 23, 2015 8:27 AM

R102, I'm not saying that you're wrong. However, this particular actor is no stranger to showing his cock in film and in print. So it's probably him.

by Anonymousreply 103October 23, 2015 1:19 PM

So... um... nobody's going to talk about that ridiculous "rape" scene? She takes off his pants (he's totally flaccid, we see that), she mounts him and fucks him in about 30 seconds, apparently he managed to get hard and cum or something in that time... and then he's immediately flaccid again (we see that too).

And if that was really gas they threw on him, he wouldn't have been able to open his eyes due to the fumes (or even breathe)... and bringing the flame that close would have ignited him. Have these people ever actually SEEN gasoline?

That whole seen was sooooooooo unbelievable. It made no sense at all. But I guess most people didn't notice because "HOT GUY PEEN!"

by Anonymousreply 104October 23, 2015 4:26 PM

Not watching season 2, i just wanna know if the cute twins from Season 1 are still there. Are they?

by Anonymousreply 105October 23, 2015 4:31 PM

They are not, R105.

by Anonymousreply 106October 23, 2015 5:14 PM

is it explained why, R106? they dead? raptured?

by Anonymousreply 107October 23, 2015 5:16 PM

The character the twins were friends with has moved to a new town with her family, and the show has shifted its focus to the new town.

by Anonymousreply 108October 23, 2015 5:38 PM

thanks, 108! too bad, they were adorable

by Anonymousreply 109October 23, 2015 5:39 PM

R109, they're also no longer on Teen Wolf (they were a fixture of two seasons, and one of them had a major make-out session with another dude on that show).

by Anonymousreply 110October 23, 2015 6:23 PM

their collapse is complete, then?

by Anonymousreply 111October 23, 2015 9:39 PM

HBO really wants us to watch this, they have it on their daily lineup in rotation, it's like every 4 hours there is an episode in repeat, it's ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 112October 24, 2015 4:54 AM

I got chills, they're multiplyin'.

And I'm losin' control . . .

by Anonymousreply 113October 26, 2015 2:07 AM

That woman was singing Rick Astly in the most annoying way. I get that she's annoying, but I don't actually want to be annoyed when I watch tv. That was part of the problem with season 1. Annoying characters are show killers.

by Anonymousreply 114October 26, 2015 2:19 AM

Is it safe to say that it's completely departed from the books?

by Anonymousreply 115October 26, 2015 3:44 AM

What did Nora ask Kevin at the very end? After the handcuffs they laid down on the bed and she asked him a question - he answered "no". I couldn't make out what she said; I was watching online so I couldn't put on captions. Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 116October 26, 2015 3:54 AM

R116 I believe she asked him if he thought the missing girls would be found.

by Anonymousreply 117October 26, 2015 4:10 AM

Do you think the guy living in the tower in the main square could see Patty? Or did he just see him talking to himself?

At the end, she asked, "Are they ever going to find those girls?". He answered, "I don't think so."

by Anonymousreply 118October 26, 2015 4:26 AM

[quote]Is it safe to say that it's completely departed from the books?

Pun not intended... I haven't read the books and have no intention of doing so. I understand the first season was pretty close to the books. Is the second season even remotely related?

by Anonymousreply 119October 26, 2015 1:53 PM

R119 I don't know anything about the book either, but I was under the impression that the first season was the extent of the story and s2 is new, original content.

by Anonymousreply 120October 26, 2015 2:06 PM

Knowing the story only from HBO previews, I was interested to see this show and am glad I stuck to watching it through one or two lesser episodes that came not long after the start of season one.

Not surprised that a show about the inexplicable and incomprehensible is not especially popular. It seems audiences have increasingly less patience with shows that don't have some sort of linear narrative (even if it's non-sequential): audiences want to see where a story is headed (and then be angry if it doesn't go where they think that is.)

I like the unhurried and fractured story told in odd pieces, pieces of a whole that might never come together as a complete picture. And I like the attention paid to making most episodes as stand-alone stories of a sort. Not every episode is a roaring success, but many are very good, and a few have been among the best things on television.

Amy Brenneman's character makes my flesh crawl, though I can't quite decide if the actress is a genius at portraying a sort of crazy bitch who makes my flesh crawl or if she IS that crazy bitch, and that's in a way a good summary of the worst aspects of the show: that there's something interesting and well executed about it.

by Anonymousreply 121October 26, 2015 3:58 PM

I didn't watched it on HD . But can anyone who watched it on HD tell me that Justin Theroux 's butt crack was visible when he was searching for his phone in night with the help of a torch ?

If yes can you please post a pic of the same ?

by Anonymousreply 122October 26, 2015 4:10 PM

Was Chris Zylka's dick on last night?

by Anonymousreply 123October 26, 2015 5:27 PM

The urgency of r122's request tickles me! I'm afraid I don't recall his crack being out and about, but he definitely seemed to be serving ass in those tight jeans.

by Anonymousreply 124October 26, 2015 5:43 PM

R123, he wasn't in the episode at all.

by Anonymousreply 125October 26, 2015 6:38 PM

Thanks, R125.

by Anonymousreply 126October 26, 2015 9:20 PM

Rhett Butler's unrecognizable in the latest episode.

by Anonymousreply 127November 2, 2015 2:28 AM

Is this show by the creators of "Lost"?

by Anonymousreply 128November 2, 2015 2:34 AM

Brett Butler, not Rhett Butler.

by Anonymousreply 129November 2, 2015 2:53 AM

So... did she wake up, or didn't she? Really?

by Anonymousreply 130November 2, 2015 4:02 AM

Full frontal dick shot tonight.

by Anonymousreply 131November 2, 2015 4:04 AM

The black-guy neighbor is a real fucking dicks.

by Anonymousreply 132November 2, 2015 4:06 AM

There is something sexy about the Black neighbor, but I want to hit him on the head with a shovel.

by Anonymousreply 133November 2, 2015 4:08 AM

This show really makes you hate humanity.

by Anonymousreply 134November 2, 2015 4:13 AM

Loved this episode! The show moves way too slow but tonite it finally had a storyline you could follow and connect with of the characters.

by Anonymousreply 135November 2, 2015 4:13 AM

Is it supposed to be ironic that his favorite book of the Bible is "Job"?

by Anonymousreply 136November 2, 2015 4:17 AM

This episode made me angry in the same way that the first season did - people doing things that make no sense but just to make the show quirky and mysterious. The reverend not going back to town with his wife and martyring himself with the creepy folk.... come on!

by Anonymousreply 137November 2, 2015 4:23 AM

Forgiveness is a hated theme on DL no matter where it occurs or how it's portrayed. I thought the Reverend showed compassion to that kid by giving him one of ID bracelets for Miracle despite what the kids father did to him. That kid watched the entire beat down occur. He could have left him for the wolves or whatever hierarchy exists in that society now that the father died in a car accident.

by Anonymousreply 138November 2, 2015 4:40 AM

"Is it supposed to be ironic that his favorite book of the Bible is "Job"?"

OMG! Alanis Morisette is posting on Datalounge. Still don't have a dictionary, dear?

Be, honest: Ryan Reynolds--gay, right?

by Anonymousreply 139November 2, 2015 6:28 AM

My sympathies to every watches this show!

by Anonymousreply 140November 2, 2015 6:47 AM

I missed something from this last episode and I didn't DVR it. Hopefully one of you guys can help me put. When Pastor Matt (Christopher Eccleston) and his wife stop on the road back into town to try to help the guy who ended up mugging them for their ID wristbands, why wasn't he able to drive his car past that point?

by Anonymousreply 141November 2, 2015 7:01 AM

The guy who mugged messed up the engine of his car.

by Anonymousreply 142November 2, 2015 9:11 AM

Thank you r142

by Anonymousreply 143November 2, 2015 9:17 AM

Can someone explain to me how the worst show on television last year has become the one that has 100% of my attention now?

It's SO good!

by Anonymousreply 144November 2, 2015 10:33 AM

Great episode.

I liked the series in its first season, R144, but can see something of your point. So much of the first season was about images (the kind of images that might startle one from the sleepwalking post-mass disappearance), but the second season has been more about gut feeling. The two episodes from season one that seemed to wake a lot of semi-indifferent viewers up were the pieces that centered on Christopher Eccleston's character and, best of all by a mile, later in the season, Carrie Coon's character; both were less about disjointed images than about emotion.

Last night's episode centering on Eccleston's Pastor Matt wasn't expository, it just placed the pastor in an extreme situation where his nervously happy surface was shed, allowing the viewer to have some compassion for his broken, unlikable character who is at once way fucked up and capable of forgiveness. Pastor Matt is just like every character in The Leftovers, only different on the surface.

by Anonymousreply 145November 2, 2015 12:20 PM

You are obviously a grade-A certified retard! Barbra Streisand has been well recognized as the greatest female singer of the past fifty years.

by Anonymousreply 146November 2, 2015 12:26 PM

It's good knowing that Brett Butler is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 147November 2, 2015 4:18 PM

I wouldn't have recognized Brett in a million years.

by Anonymousreply 148November 3, 2015 9:38 AM

I recognized her instantly.

Not really sure what the point of her character and that little segment actually was though.

Seemed kind of weird and arbitrary. But then I don't understand how religious people think.

by Anonymousreply 149November 3, 2015 1:05 PM

I think it just demonstrated the extent to which religious zealotry has been accepted there—anything goes, no matter how ridiculous and nonsensical.

by Anonymousreply 150November 3, 2015 1:41 PM

Why would a good Christian pastor just dump the care, and all of the work that entails, of his wife onto his friends like it's nothing? What an asshole! I am enjoying (or at least appreciating) each episode more and more this season, which is more than I can say about last season.

by Anonymousreply 151November 3, 2015 2:30 PM

[quote]Why would a good Christian pastor just dump the care, and all of the work that entails, of his wife onto his friends like it's nothing? What an asshole! I am enjoying (or at least appreciating) each episode more and more this season, which is more than I can say about last season.

I thought the same thing too when Matt asked Nora to take care of Mary. I'm predicting that the storyline will end with Nora and Kevin getting overwhelmed with Mary in addition to baby Lily and Jill. Then we will see Nora and Kevin putting Mary in a nursing home or a possibly a hospital since she is pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 152November 3, 2015 3:48 PM

[quote] R137: This episode made me angry in the same way that the first season did - people doing things that make no sense but just to make the show quirky and mysterious. The reverend not going back to town with his wife and martyring himself with the creepy folk.... come on!

Yes, I felt exactly the same way. I'm strangely drawn to the show, but a lot of it is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 153November 3, 2015 6:40 PM

Has anyone read the book?

by Anonymousreply 154November 3, 2015 9:45 PM

My niece plays the vegetable in the wheelchair!

by Anonymousreply 155November 4, 2015 5:07 PM

She's quite good, R155, excellent casting choice there!

by Anonymousreply 156November 4, 2015 5:18 PM

I like this season better than last year. It seemed pretty pretentious in the first season and I hate-watched it then. I like the casting of Regina King and her family. There are some interesting things going in that little town,,,

R151, I agree that the ending didn't make much sense. The pastor seems to be unstable and self-sabotages himself. I thought it was over the top when he decided to take the guy's place in the end but I think the character gets off on self-flagellating himself like those religious monks do, plus he sees suffering as something noble. I assume this is why Job is his favorite book in the Bible. As I recall, in the first season, the pastor tried to help someone and they also assaulted him too. I thought this guy will never learn and enjoys the punishment.

by Anonymousreply 157November 5, 2015 8:14 AM

R157, the truly stupid part was the entire show was about them getting back to Miracle, to save the baby. Then the Rev. Dumps the wife & unborn boy off, and doesn't bother to even say where he was going. What if they never release him? It's stupid and while I am interested in the show now, it's stuff like this that will kill it for me soon. If characters act irrationally all the time, it become just a mismash of shockporn.

by Anonymousreply 158November 5, 2015 12:00 PM

A small nitpick -- it bothered me that this exclusive town doesn't have a list of the inhabitants. The reverend shows up at the gate and no one knows him. They should have a computer system with the names/photos of everyone who lives there. It looks like they charge people to come in for day visits, take that money and invest in a database.

by Anonymousreply 159November 5, 2015 1:00 PM

r151 Nora is the minister's sister. Not that it makes it right he left her, but it was with a relative

by Anonymousreply 160November 5, 2015 9:36 PM

I absolutely love this show (both seasons so far). Best written and acted drama on the air. Somebody give Eccleston an Emmy, please.

by Anonymousreply 161November 7, 2015 11:38 PM

How much does Janel Molony make per episode for playing vegetable Mary?

by Anonymousreply 162November 7, 2015 11:51 PM

I'd admit that Eccleston has been a complete standout. He had a dedicated episode in both seasons and they were both just amazing.

by Anonymousreply 163November 8, 2015 1:06 AM

I think Carrie Coon should have won last year for her performance, but she wasn't even nominated. It really does go to show you that Emmy awards really are about buzz and ratings. Eccleston was also a standout last season.

by Anonymousreply 164November 8, 2015 1:42 AM

This show is making me grind my teeth down. I don't get the conflict between Erica and Nora - why Erica got so bent out of shape from the questionnaire and turned it back on Nora. Then the rocks through the windows? More random acts to create drama. Didn't care about the pie, father crap, dumb bird story. I kinda hate Nora's brother for ditching his wife. So, neither Nora or Kevin work? Aren't they broke now that Nora over paid for that house - who's funding their upkeep? Sure hope this season doesn't spiral into a thousand loose ends with no resolution.

by Anonymousreply 165November 9, 2015 3:28 AM

Nora might have some money left over from the departure compensation. IIRC, the 3 mil she used to pay for the Miracle house was from the sale of the Mapleton house. In season 1, Matt needed over a 100 grand to keep his church and he asked Nora for a loan in one episode. I might have missed it, but did Kevin sell his house in Mapleton?

by Anonymousreply 166November 9, 2015 3:34 AM

I don't get HBO--am I missing anything? Right now I'm watching the Crossraoads Guitar Festival (2004) on Palladia.

by Anonymousreply 167November 9, 2015 3:38 AM

I could watch this show live, but I record it and watch it after, just so I can fast-forward though that hideous opening theme song. Dear god that woman's voice is like nails on a blackboard. I want to stab her in the face with knitting needles to make her shut the fuck up and never sing another note ever. Who can possibly think that high pitched nasally caterwauling sounds good?!? AUGH! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

by Anonymousreply 168November 9, 2015 3:40 AM

R168: it's called the "mute" button. Learn to operate it.

And fucking take your meds.

by Anonymousreply 169November 9, 2015 3:44 AM

Get some taste.

Why such a good, quality show is saddled with the worst themesong ever, from the worst singer ever.

by Anonymousreply 170November 9, 2015 3:47 AM

I also don't get why Erica asking if Nora's kids died or departed makes a difference; either way they're gone so asking Nora to make the distinction rings hollow. Erica doesn't even know what happened to her kid, so why the anger and twisting the knife of a woman who also lost people. This scene was supposed to point out.... something but I don't see what. It just seemed dramatic for dramas sake, and to give the actresses a meaty scene but it didn't forward the story. I don't like the plot with the husband beating people who go against the "keep the town safe". Just another random bit to throw into this soup.

Another thing - the parents seem so nonchalant with having a missing child. I think I'd be in a heavily medicated state and so sedated as to be useless.

by Anonymousreply 171November 9, 2015 4:10 AM

R166 Didn't Matt dig up the money buried in Kevin's backyard (last season) and used that to buy the church back in Mapleton?

I also mute the grating theme song.

by Anonymousreply 172November 9, 2015 4:17 AM

[quote]I think Carrie Coon should have won last year for her performance, but she wasn't even nominated. It really does go to show you that Emmy awards really are about buzz and ratings. Eccleston was also a standout last season.

She was the best performer in season 1. She is doing great this season and so far is doing better work than Regina King.

by Anonymousreply 173November 9, 2015 5:44 AM

Ericka is a strong black woman, in other words a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 174November 9, 2015 8:51 AM

The money Matt dug up in Kevin's yard belonged to Kevin's father. Matt was "borrowing" the money to gamble at the casino.

by Anonymousreply 175November 9, 2015 5:27 PM

I hate that song too! And that Apple girl's mother was fire from MY hit Broadway show. She couldn't sing either.

by Anonymousreply 176November 9, 2015 6:00 PM

Oops! That last comment was about the awful song on Showtime's The Affair. Betty missed her mark on this one.

by Anonymousreply 177November 9, 2015 6:05 PM

Best show on TV.

by Anonymousreply 178November 13, 2015 3:52 PM

Best theme song ever. I love it.

by Anonymousreply 179November 13, 2015 6:21 PM

I love the song too, paired with the video of the missing people. To each, his own.

I think it would be cooler if the video paired with the song was different every week, showing different missing peole. . But no. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 180November 13, 2015 9:00 PM

I like it better this season, I prefer the storyline in the new place, got sick of the Holy Remnant crap.

by Anonymousreply 181November 13, 2015 9:11 PM

Guilty Remnants should start a branch in Miracle, can you imagine them watching outside Erika's house ?

by Anonymousreply 182November 13, 2015 10:00 PM

Ooops I meant Guilty not Holy, was too lazy to look it up. Erika and her husband would go off on them.

by Anonymousreply 183November 13, 2015 11:38 PM

The Guilty Remnants led by Meg will probably end up in Miracle.

by Anonymousreply 184November 13, 2015 11:44 PM

Would they even be let in ?

by Anonymousreply 185November 13, 2015 11:47 PM

Are we going to see Brett Butler again ?

by Anonymousreply 186November 13, 2015 11:53 PM

It seems like they do that know what to do with Amy Brenneman. She seems irrelevant to the stories.

by Anonymousreply 187November 13, 2015 11:54 PM

I absolutely love this show. Best drama on tv, no question. Carrie Coon and Regina King were fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 188November 15, 2015 12:53 AM

The daughter comes from a long line of exaggerated, insufferable teenage girls. I can't wait for her to go. She can take her boyfriend with her, too.

by Anonymousreply 189November 16, 2015 1:16 AM

Carrie Coon and Regina King were so fucking good. Oh my God, I just fell over after that scene was over. That was the Emmy Moment, right there.

by Anonymousreply 190November 16, 2015 1:20 AM

I can't see how this is gonna get resolved, unless that was not really poison and the old man was just messing with Kevin. I do hope no more Patty.

by Anonymousreply 191November 16, 2015 3:17 AM

Did Justin T or Chris Z . did any nude scene last night?

by Anonymousreply 192November 16, 2015 4:49 AM

WTF? This episode tonight was the weirdest yet. I still love the show, but this episode made no sense.

Kevin is hallucinating Patti, so he tells his ex (the shrink) she gives him good advice and he turns around and goes to the Miracle resident voodoo pedophile and does that to "help" Kevin eradicate Patti? (Virgil refers to his “foul machinery below the waist” and also says he “hurt John a long time ago,” while Patti later flat-out calls Virgil a pedophile.)

I know it's likely not permanant because of what likely happened with Virgil in the past (heavily hinted that John killed him but he came back. That's why he went to prison for attempted murder, not murder) but it really threw me. It did explain why John is anti-religion if God would bring back a pedophile cleansed of his sins.

Another thought... Dante in The a Divine Comedy had Virgil to guide him thru hell, so maybe this Virgil has the same responsibility?

Are they going to put those two in a box like Erika did with the bird? Wherever Kevin went to did he need Virgil to go with him to get him back?

After this ep it makes me wonder about that pie that Virgil made in the first episode. Was it JUST a pie? I'm thinking that the pie had to have more meaning.

by Anonymousreply 193November 16, 2015 6:22 AM

I am waiting for the writers to start tying together some of this nonsense. Do far, most of the lead characters are behaving in ways that are more than irrational, they are simply "random", and that's going to get tired soon.

by Anonymousreply 194November 16, 2015 3:38 PM

R194 they have been doing this since season 1

by Anonymousreply 195November 16, 2015 3:41 PM

Will we get a third season?

by Anonymousreply 196November 16, 2015 5:21 PM

R179 is just trolling.

by Anonymousreply 197November 16, 2015 5:24 PM

[quote]Did Justin T or Chris Z . did any nude scene last night?

They had gay sex onscreen. Man I wish I had TiVo, it was Fucking HOT.

by Anonymousreply 198November 16, 2015 7:34 PM

They wouldn't really Kevin off, would they?

by Anonymousreply 199November 18, 2015 12:37 PM

There are no miracles in Miracle.

by Anonymousreply 200November 18, 2015 1:34 PM

That daughter is an insufferable mouth-breather.

by Anonymousreply 201November 18, 2015 2:12 PM

Yeah, I hate the daughter.

Kevin will be back. He's too hot to die. . I love the theme song, paired with the video, too.

by Anonymousreply 202November 18, 2015 9:02 PM

Kevin can't be dead.

by Anonymousreply 203November 19, 2015 12:35 PM

Why do you think the trailer guy killed himself? And why did he leave Kevin to die?

by Anonymousreply 204November 23, 2015 12:07 AM

We will discover tonight, together!

by Anonymousreply 205November 23, 2015 12:18 AM

Yum! Leftovers!

by Anonymousreply 206November 23, 2015 12:22 AM

I'm with R194. Get to the point already.

by Anonymousreply 207November 23, 2015 12:43 AM

More random stuff, so far.

by Anonymousreply 208November 23, 2015 1:15 AM

THAT'S WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 209November 23, 2015 1:16 AM

This thing that Kevin's going through, the exact same thing happened to me last year.

by Anonymousreply 210November 23, 2015 1:51 AM

Oh thank God Pattie's dead. I hope she's dead-dead, and not just dead.

by Anonymousreply 211November 23, 2015 2:10 AM

Naked Kevin.

by Anonymousreply 212November 23, 2015 2:48 AM

R12, it's not enough to make up for a season of random noise.

by Anonymousreply 213November 23, 2015 2:55 AM

I meant R212, not R12.

by Anonymousreply 214November 23, 2015 3:46 AM

Justin Theroux has "stinky feet face"

by Anonymousreply 215November 23, 2015 4:05 AM

Re: Tonight's episode.

WTF!!

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 216November 23, 2015 11:16 PM

The show has turned into the cousin of "Lost" - a whole lot of gobbledegook and mystical shit trying to be a TV series.

by Anonymousreply 217November 24, 2015 12:57 AM

My favorite show. This is a great show and should win all awards it is nominated for.

by Anonymousreply 218November 24, 2015 1:01 AM

R218 = show's caterer's mother

by Anonymousreply 219November 24, 2015 1:26 AM

Well the Golden Globes/Hollywood Foreign Press might throw this show a bone.

by Anonymousreply 220November 24, 2015 1:41 AM

Hunh? I think I just saw a shark.

by Anonymousreply 221November 25, 2015 1:33 AM

Latest episode with Kevin in the other world was surreal.

by Anonymousreply 222November 27, 2015 3:50 AM

The Guilty Redundancy bothers me. Nobody's forgotten anything, and not because of them. Everybody is still traumatized and will be for life. I'm not crazy about Meg either.

by Anonymousreply 223November 30, 2015 1:54 AM

Was that Betty Buckley dropping dead?

by Anonymousreply 224November 30, 2015 4:11 AM

I like how they seem to be pulling all the differant story lines together, even if it took till the season's last episode to do it. I love this show because (to me) it seems to assume that watcher is smart enough to follow the story without having to have every little thing and detail explained to them.

by Anonymousreply 225November 30, 2015 5:04 AM

Next week needs to have another Brett Butler scene and tell us who the fuck the people are in white clothes that chain smoke. Liv Tylers voice sounds like Jennifer Garner.

I hope Jennifer Aniston-Theroux has a cameo next season.

by Anonymousreply 226November 30, 2015 5:44 AM

R226 you obviously didn't watch the first season, did you?

by Anonymousreply 227November 30, 2015 1:46 PM

No R227, I didn't. I saw one or two episodes but decided to try again this season as most entertainment critics said it was a reboot and the first season wouldn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 228November 30, 2015 2:33 PM

R226, The people in white are called "The Guilty Remanent". They are a cult. They smoke and bother people to remind them of all those other people who disappeared. It's nonsensical, but no matter. That's why I called them a "redundancy".

Meg is annoying, but I guess she is supposed to be, just like that dead freckled fatty who's name I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 229November 30, 2015 2:38 PM

[quote] show is saddled with the worst themesong ever

Not quite.

"I was screammun

Intuh the canyon

at the MO ment uv mah death!

ECHOOOOOOO I created...."

by Anonymousreply 230November 30, 2015 2:56 PM

Liv Tyler was pretty damn great in the latest episode.

by Anonymousreply 231December 2, 2015 5:38 PM

I do t think they know what to do with Amy B. Will she ever get a storyline that sticks?

by Anonymousreply 232December 2, 2015 6:09 PM

Anyone watching the finale? It's been a helluva episode so far!

by Anonymousreply 233December 7, 2015 1:38 AM

More naked Justin Theroux. Thought for sure there'd be peen.

by Anonymousreply 234December 7, 2015 2:12 AM

This show does nothing but DELIVER! Another fantastic episode and finale, yet again. Has there been any word yet on whether it'll bed renewed for a third season?

by Anonymousreply 235December 7, 2015 2:29 AM

I was talking back to the TV so much at how many dumb things were happening: Matt not wanting to leave squatter village when he first saw Mary awake; no one moving back from the bridge when they thought it was gonna blow; John shooting Kevin and leaving him there, fake out on the RV rigged to blow, why the big secret of Evie joining the GR, Kevin buried by Virgils grandson, the woman who snatched the baby, how much of Kevin's death vision was "real", his karaoke singing.... The guy in the bar who told Kevin he had to sing, has he been on before? I don't remember him other than last week.

This made me grit my teeth like when I watched Lost. Same enraging nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 236December 7, 2015 2:47 AM

This was an amazing season. You cannot watch this show if you hated Lost. There are so many parallels. Lindeloff deliberately and bluntly explains in the show (listen to the "Miracle" song, where he literally says it) there will be no answers, so stop asking. He doesn't care what people think, and I like that he's not listening to the hysterical noise of the audience.

I will be sad if this show doesn't return, but no, it hasn't been picked up for a third season, HBO hasn't said anything, and the ratings were very bad, which Is unfortunate because it was twice the show it was last season.

by Anonymousreply 237December 7, 2015 3:29 AM

The son confuses me... for the last two episodes he seemed like he believes the goals of the GR again. He was hanging around with Meg like he was back on the team. Then at the end of the episode he's back in the family home. Huh?

by Anonymousreply 238December 7, 2015 3:40 AM

Man, that was a great finale. I hope it's just a SEASON finale, but it was satisfying enough for a series finale.

Stellar acting.

by Anonymousreply 239December 7, 2015 3:48 AM

Loved the finale. I agree there were too many unanswered questions.

by Anonymousreply 240December 7, 2015 4:31 AM

Damn! This was an amazing season. The best TV I've seen in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 241December 7, 2015 4:44 AM

This episode was not fooling around, showing Kevin with the cinderblock jumping into the water. Did Kevin try to kill himself last season during any of his "lost time" periods? I'm not sure if he's trying to die because he killed Patty or a different reason. Also, it was harsh to see the 3 girls turn away after seeing Kevin jump. That's dedication, but their cause is about celebrating chaos and loss.

by Anonymousreply 242December 7, 2015 4:56 AM

WOW WOW WOW the season finale was awesome!

by Anonymousreply 243December 7, 2015 5:05 AM

"Meg is annoying, but I guess she is supposed to be, just like that dead freckled fatty who's name I can't remember."

You mean the lovely and beautiful Kathy Geiss (a.k.a. Marceline Hugot) from 30 Rock?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244December 7, 2015 8:43 AM

I was ready to give up on this show but I am glad I stuck with it, the season ending was great

by Anonymousreply 245December 7, 2015 12:39 PM

I know Matt can be annoying, but I was so happy for him and his wife.

by Anonymousreply 246December 7, 2015 12:44 PM

The wife in the wheelchair is Broadway diva Christine Ebersole's cousin.

by Anonymousreply 247December 7, 2015 1:55 PM

R230 Agree! I DVR The Affair so I can Fast forward thru that awful song.

by Anonymousreply 248December 7, 2015 1:57 PM

R247 No she is Ebersole's niece.

by Anonymousreply 249December 7, 2015 1:59 PM

I loved Season 1, but Season 2 was brilliant, and the acting superb all around.

Season 2 dispensed with the Mystery and Whys of the thing and went deeply elemental - to an extent I've not seen in any other series.

by Anonymousreply 250December 7, 2015 3:22 PM

Loved it! And the woman in the wheelchair spent years as a secretary in The West Wing.

by Anonymousreply 251December 8, 2015 1:56 AM

I really enjoyed this season. I thought the first season was ok but wasn't sure if I wanted to watch another season of people being depressed and confused about whether there was a point to life.

But I really liked this season and watching Kevin finding a sense of purpose, love and belonging in that last minute was nice, even if it's just for a moment.

by Anonymousreply 252December 10, 2015 4:36 AM

So what was the cave woman opening sequence really about? Nora's baby? Evie?

Good season however that was head scratching

by Anonymousreply 253December 10, 2015 6:55 AM

Great ending to a great season

by Anonymousreply 254December 10, 2015 10:52 AM

The woman in the wheelchair has an Emmy from The West Wing and was a major character. It's amazing that she agreed to play a character in a coma for 20 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 255December 10, 2015 11:25 AM

Lindeloff has said the opening is like the rest of the show, about grief, loss, and the human ability to survive and the beauty of that.

He has also said that it is book ending. Woman goes out of cave loses one hundred ancestors. Only 2% of population survives, she and her baby. (Mirror opposite of 2% of population disappearing.)

Earthquake.

At end of season, earthquake, Garvey returns from dead, goes home (cave) and finds his entire family alive and gathered. Lindeloff explains it better, but it goes something like that. Read his Hollywood Reporter interviews. They are interesting.

by Anonymousreply 256December 10, 2015 11:30 AM

Good news! The Leftovers has been renewed for a third season! Bad news, it will be the show's final season.

by Anonymousreply 257December 11, 2015 1:55 AM

Eh, a third and final season seems fair for what this show is. And knowing ahead of time it's the end, they can probably do something to wrap it all up with a satisfactory ending.

by Anonymousreply 258December 11, 2015 1:58 AM

What! R257, that's a glass half-full! I demand a full glass!

by Anonymousreply 259December 11, 2015 1:59 AM

I agree with that, r258. It's one of the best shows I've seen in a while and I'm just a little disappointed its getting such a limited run. But it does make sense, from where the story is. I guess it can only go so far before it spirals into a complete clucsterfuck.

by Anonymousreply 260December 11, 2015 2:18 AM

Just like to put this here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261December 11, 2015 10:39 AM

I'm totally fine with it having one more season. Lindeloff is best when he has a deadline and finality in his sights.

by Anonymousreply 262December 11, 2015 12:15 PM

I think the series is brilliant, but also think that three seasons of ten episodes each is perfect - for this series and for most series.

As for telling a story, I'd rather be told the story that the producers and writers want to tell than the story a polled focus group of viewers want to see. That's all the "resolution" I need; moreover, each of the first two seasons can be viewed very nicely as a stand-alone story - the best approach to any series. I don't want or need to know how Kevin and Nora's found baby's life turns out at age 30, or how a complete smoking ban may affect the Guilty Remnant.

by Anonymousreply 263December 11, 2015 12:55 PM

I like the show... but... it's the only show I like that I know of that makes one hour seem like two. I swear, it seems to go on forever. Not sure what is up with that.

Finally catching up with the finale right now.

Regina King is amazing. I love her so much... she's amazing in this.

I like how so much came together and the end. But still... not a lot made much sense. A lot is still missing. Like the motivation of the daughter to behave that way. "You understand"... no I fucking don't.

BTW, how many times can the lead in a series be killed? Just curious. (and the whole Hotel thing is such a cheat... )

by Anonymousreply 264December 14, 2015 12:49 AM

Here is why I think Ivy joined the remnant and told her mother that she understood her reasons.

Before the departure, Evie and her family were in a lot of pain, Evie especially (the crying bathtub story) and the mother (she was planning on leaving). John being put away in jail for attempted murder was horrible for them. But then the departure happened and the town was spared. Because of that, in a way, no one in Jarden was really allowed to be sad. They were saved, they were "a miracle". So much so the girls have to sing it in school every day. So in a sense, Evie's pain was invalidated. "Who cares if your father was put in jail, be grateful you didn't lose anyone in the Departure." This is why she bonded with Meg. Meg's mother died right before the departure so her pain was also invalidated by the world. "Who cares if your mother just died, at least you know what happened to her, be grateful she didn't depart".

So that is why Evie and Meg joined forces. Evie wanted to allow pain and suffering back into the town that in a sense forbid it and Meg wanted to spread her pain and suffering into a town that tried to avoid it. She felt no place in the world should be immune from pain if she wasn't able to.

What do you guys think?

by Anonymousreply 265December 14, 2015 1:21 AM

That makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 266December 14, 2015 1:26 AM

R265, sounds good. I think there are a lot of possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 267December 14, 2015 1:29 AM

That neighbor guy is a real asshole. He murdered Kevin in cold blood. In fact, it's hard to come up with a single moment in the entire season when it wasn't a complete dick.

by Anonymousreply 268December 14, 2015 2:07 PM

The neighbor was an asshole. Did you notice the way he'd stare at people? He was too nosy.

by Anonymousreply 269December 14, 2015 2:14 PM

Was Meg's mother portrayed by Legendary Broadway Icon BETTY BUCKLEY???!!!! If so, why are we talking about Christine Ebersole's niece instead of "Cats", "Sunset Blvd." or "Carrie"?

by Anonymousreply 270December 14, 2015 3:31 PM

I like R265's theory on Evie.

I agree R268, I couldn't stand the neighbor guy and I did have some sympathy for him later on. But the neighbor guy did other cruel things like arson and beating up that one preacher guy played Darius McCrary from Family Matters.

by Anonymousreply 271December 14, 2015 8:14 PM

So.. the preacher with the comatose wife ... that storyline was ... weird. It never REALLY resolved. She sort of woke up, but... then nothing became of it.

And I really hate the whole "the afterlife is real and it's a hotel" bullshit. I mean, it's almost shark-jumping.

by Anonymousreply 272December 14, 2015 9:42 PM

R272 The preacher's wife will probably have the baby. I wouldn't be surprised if she departs/dies after the birth.

by Anonymousreply 273December 14, 2015 11:13 PM

R273, Nobody has departed since the big day. It was a one time occurrence, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 274December 14, 2015 11:44 PM

A few nominations in Critics Choice Awards

by Anonymousreply 275December 14, 2015 11:59 PM

What's the significance of the earthquakes?

by Anonymousreply 276December 15, 2015 12:02 AM

They're a false flag, R276!

by Anonymousreply 277December 15, 2015 12:05 AM

What ever was in the Nat Geo mag? Did we ever find out?

by Anonymousreply 278December 31, 2015 5:36 AM

Sorry for the delay, R278. I think we'll find out next season because the show will be set in Australia where Kevin's dad is and he was the one who thought the National Geographic contained clued to The Sudden Departure.

I loved S1 and I think S2 is a masterpiece. I hope the third and final season can live up to it.

by Anonymousreply 279May 17, 2016 9:40 PM

R265, I think your Evie/Meg theory is on thr money.

I also wonder if we'll find out next season what Meg's mother (Betty Buckley) wanted to tell her before she suddenly died. The character Darius McCrary play told Meg wat it was but we never found out.

by Anonymousreply 280May 18, 2016 3:50 AM

I’m surprised that season 2 was already 5 years ago, but there’s something eerie about it, practically predicting this slow motion plague we have going on.

I still like the spiritual nature of the theme song, even if it is seriously twangy.

by Anonymousreply 281July 31, 2020 5:11 AM

R281 care to expand on that?

by Anonymousreply 282July 31, 2020 5:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!