Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYC area non-smoking ads - HORRIFYING.

I'm so sick of these ads that depict smokers dying of emphysema. We have to listen to them loudly gasping for breath and coughing as if its their last. Does this really do anything to make people stop smoking? I've never smoked and am tired of having to watch/listen to these disturbing images.

Has anyone here quit smoking due to these ads? If one person says yes, I'll feel better. But I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2020 3:25 AM

The only one I ever saw that got to me back in my smoking days was Yul Brynner. Very effective.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2015 11:52 PM

OP, maybe you should [italic]start[/italic] smoking.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2015 12:00 AM

The only person I know who died of copd is my mother. She never smoked a cig in her life. I smoke occasionally, and no, the fear of copd does not enter into the equation.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2015 12:34 AM

The thing I can't stand about anti-smoking people is their inconsistency. Put up posters showing people having colon cancer operations from eating meat, or getting a liver transplants from booze. Will these people take on the alcohol or meat industries or give up beer or steak? No.

And now I expect to hear about moderation...

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2015 12:41 AM

R4 is a libertarian asshole. We get it, now fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2015 12:46 AM

People quit on their own time. Even as an ex-smoker I think these ads are annoying.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2020 9:20 PM

Just start a rumor that only Trump supporters smoke cigarettes because they want to know how it must feel to suck his cigarette-sized dick. The problem should be cured in a week tops.

by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2020 10:30 PM

Maybe they work as a deterrent for potential smokers?

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2020 10:43 PM

R8 When I was in high school, adults harping on about how smoking was bad only made me want to smoke more.

by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2020 10:44 PM

R8 I had the same reaction when adults told me it was bad to have sex at 15.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2020 10:49 PM

Studies show that none of those scary ads work at all.

What works more is ads that say “no one else is smoking, why are you?” And “you’ll become ugly and impotent if you smoke”

by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2020 10:51 PM

R6 is the 2015 bump troll.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2020 11:25 PM

You can get emphysema if you stopped smoking 40 years ago - something those ads don’t tell you. The older you get, something gets triggered inside & damage that was done years ago suddenly takes off like a cancer. And nobody knows who will get it. Someone who smoked for 10 years & stopped 20 years ago can get emphysema while someone who’s 90 years old & still smokes doesn’t get emphysema. There’s also a genetic aspect to some emphysema - a certain genome gives some people who never smoked emphysema.

And there’s really not much research going on because smoking rates are falling, so they figure the death rate for COPD (3rd leading cause of death in US) will drop as boomers die off. Pulmonologists know they’re not going to save people who have emphysema; it’s invariably degenerative & fatal.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2020 2:23 AM

I’m an ex smoker but none of those ads did the trick for me. Couldn’t have cared less.

Like with any addiction you have to WANT to quit.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2020 3:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!