Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I made potato salad, but I don't think I cooked the potatoes long enough

The potatoes aren't mushy, but a little firm. I followed the directions exactly, except for the sugar. I didn't add sugar, but I don't understand why you need sugar in potato salad. The directions said cook the potatoes for 15 minutes. What did I do wrong?

by Anonymousreply 51June 27, 2020 3:45 PM

Asking here, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2015 10:50 PM

You type fat, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2015 10:52 PM

[quote]What did I do wrong?

I'm going to go out on a limb here...but maybe, just maybe, try cooking them longer next time?

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2015 10:53 PM

YOu have to cut them up into one or two inch pieces if you are only going to cook them for 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2015 10:55 PM

Also the water must be boiling the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2015 10:56 PM

We don't know what kind of potatoes you used, nor the size? WTF

Next time, take potato out of the boiling water, run it under cool water, and taste to see if it has the texture you want.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2015 10:58 PM

just buy potato salad at the deli at the supermarket and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2015 11:00 PM

Why are you skipping out on the sugar, OP? The potatoes are just as carby, and will add just as much pudge.

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2015 11:05 PM

Add some mustard. It needs a dab of mustard, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2015 11:08 PM

If you want to try rescuing them, microwave them in one-minute increments until they're done to your liking.

by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2015 11:15 PM

Let your potato salad sit in the refrigerator overnight. The dressing may soften the potatoes. Next time prick each raw potato several times with a fork. It will then cook much faster.

A very tiny amount of sugar brings out the flavor of any added spices or vegetables. Note some recipes call for pickle juice which contains sugar.

You can make healthier potato salad with a very minimal amount of added fat. Or serve small portions.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2015 11:19 PM

Miracle Whip is what I use, and it has the sugar you're looking for in your recipe. Also, slide a sharp knife into the potato to check for doneness after boiling your potatoes. It usually takes 25 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2015 11:30 PM

Did you check your reflux capacitor?

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2015 11:31 PM

Add some pumpkin spice

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2015 12:05 AM

Did you make sure to use raw, organic, gluten-free potatoes?

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2015 12:42 AM

Miracle Whip in potato salad? You must be itching for a fight, R12.

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2015 12:46 AM

Really good I German potato salad and it has healthier oil, olive if you like, not mayo. Of course it does have a ton a bacon if it's made right and yes, it does have sugar.

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2015 12:55 AM

Fuck it. Let's just get this out of the way. Maybe we won't have to have another brouhaha over potato salad.

Ingredients 1 pound small white boiling potatoes 1 pound small red boiling potatoes 2 tablespoons good dry white wine 2 tablespoons chicken stock 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard 2 teaspoons kosher salt 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 10 tablespoons good olive oil 1/4 cup minced scallions (white and green parts) 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil leaves Directions Drop the white and red potatoes into a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Drain in a colander and place a towel over the potatoes to allow them to steam for 10 more minutes. As soon as you can handle them, cut in 1/2 (quarters if the potatoes are larger) and place in a medium bowl. Toss gently with the wine and chicken stock. Allow the liquids to soak into the warm potatoes before proceeding.

Combine the vinegar, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion. Add the vinaigrette to the potatoes. Add the scallions, dill, parsley, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2015 1:05 AM

Mix, mix, stir, stir.

I married young; it's all a blur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2015 1:38 AM

Take it from old friends of the DL, The Ross Sisters, a little sour cream improves everything it touches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 5, 2015 2:05 AM

Sugar in potato salad doesn't sound very good, and I have never heard of adding it. The potatoes will probably soften overnight. I undercook mine because I find that the dressing softens them. If I cook them to the degree I want then the salad turns to mush when I mix the salad. Try adding a diced hard boiled egg.

by Anonymousreply 21October 5, 2015 2:10 AM

Use a skewer to test while the potatoes are still being boiled. It is as simple as that. You should be able to skewer the potato but it should not be soft and bits should not break off.

Interesting recipes here (some quite disturbing). I mix condensed milk with vinegar and taste. Then add more vinegar or condensed milk depending on what is lacking. When that is right I then add a little hot mustard. Then other elements are optionally added: red onions, chopped up bacon or boiled eggs.

Definitely no sugar and no whipped cream.

by Anonymousreply 22October 5, 2015 2:20 AM

I sprinkle the hot potatoes with red wine vinegar and let them cool. Then I make a dressing of mayo and sour cream, with lots of yellow mustard, and salt, pepper, celery seed and whatever other herbs and spices I'm the mood for. Add-ins? Scallions, fresh parsley, sometimes very finely minced celery or black olives.

by Anonymousreply 23October 5, 2015 2:39 AM

I had a great potato salad with golden raisins added for a little kick. Excellent.

by Anonymousreply 24October 5, 2015 2:42 AM

i just buy mine at Publix. I don't have the time to screw with all that.

by Anonymousreply 25October 5, 2015 3:03 AM

[quote]Miracle Whip is what I use

Vile. I'd recommend you throw that potato salad in the trash, but it would unfair to trashcan.

by Anonymousreply 26October 5, 2015 3:05 AM

Publix makes an excellent potato salad if you can't be bothered to cook. Their white breast chicken salad is very good also. Avoid the delicious, but ridiculously high in fat, chicken salad with almonds.

by Anonymousreply 27October 5, 2015 3:07 AM

Use the potatoes with yellow skins.

by Anonymousreply 28October 5, 2015 3:09 AM

Yes r27 they have both great potato salad and chicken salad options. None of it's health food but good stuff on an occasional spurge.

by Anonymousreply 29October 5, 2015 3:12 AM

Nobody can afford chicken salad prices anymore since the chicken plague started. I'm still wondering if there is a conspiracy to raise the prices though.

by Anonymousreply 30October 5, 2015 3:18 AM

your probably need a new job if the price of a chicken salad is an issue.

by Anonymousreply 31October 5, 2015 3:20 AM

R22, surely you mean evaporated milk, rather than condensed milk? Condensed milk is usually sold as sweetened condensed milk (e.g., Eagle brand) & is like liquid sugar, used to make things such as fudge. Evaporated milk has merely had half of its water content removed, so it's just a thicker form of milk.

by Anonymousreply 32October 5, 2015 3:30 AM

Just follow the recipe on the side of Hellman's. Still the best.

by Anonymousreply 33October 5, 2015 3:37 AM

Go fuck yourself, r26.

by Anonymousreply 34October 5, 2015 3:38 AM

I tried to pull a Datalounge and make something home made, but it is easier to buy store bought potato salad. I don't understand how all of you have any time to do anything else with your homemade this and homemade that.

by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2015 3:42 AM

Potatoes come from the Earth, and like most vegetables that come directly from the Earth, like carrots and turnips, they are mildly radioactive. Just sayin'. I hope the salad comes out good.

by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2015 3:50 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 5, 2015 3:57 AM

Someone has obviously cornered the market. This is economic terrorism.

Chicken and egg prices are soaring worldwide, and every country gives an alternative explanations. In Nepal in June, prices up 40%, they said due to the earthquake. In USA up 40% now, they are claiming it is breeders (German company owns the largest breeders) Last summer they said it was an avian flu outbreak Nigeria claims chicken prices soared because the cracked down on smuggling India claims heat wave killed 17 million chickens in July Sauidi Arabia has banned chicken exports after protests, claims animal feed caused the price increase

This is a classic corner, and people all over the world are being fed lies about the cause. Somebody did this on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2015 4:04 AM

The USDA said they had vaccines to prevent a fall outbreak, but chicken prices are still rising.

by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2015 4:11 AM

Look at this trend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 5, 2015 4:14 AM

Fank you for fixing my potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 41October 5, 2015 5:14 AM

It's frightening what KFC is charging now for a bucket of chicken.

by Anonymousreply 42October 5, 2015 5:16 AM

OP, you gotta cook the cut potato pieces for at least 20 minutes.

My favorite potato salad is just olive oil, black pepper, salt, red onions, capers, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Made with red potatoes. So simple, and difficult to stop eating.

by Anonymousreply 43October 5, 2015 8:34 AM

Sugar runs everything, do not put sugar in your salad.

by Anonymousreply 44October 5, 2015 12:02 PM

Put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 45October 5, 2015 1:41 PM

Slice the potatoes evenly so they'll cook evenly. Add a little vinegar to the boiling water.

by Anonymousreply 46October 5, 2015 2:22 PM

Give it your neighbor's as a peace offering, and start from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 47October 6, 2015 2:19 AM

[quote]Miracle Whip is what I use

And you're bragging about it?

by Anonymousreply 48October 6, 2015 3:20 AM

[quote] Try adding a diced hard boiled egg if you want your potato salad to smell and taste like farts.

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 49October 6, 2015 3:22 AM

BEGONE, R12.

by Anonymousreply 50June 27, 2020 3:32 PM

It's almost 5 years later. I'm assuming the potatoes are now cooked.

by Anonymousreply 51June 27, 2020 3:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!