Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Awkward moment between Doris Day and Carol Wayne

This entire interview from 1974 was awkward, but it got really interesting at the 11:00 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 4, 2018 1:39 AM

Thanks, OP. That was fun. Watching Carson babble and try to keep things going was hilarious.

Wonder if Doris bided her time and threw Carol Wayne in the waters off Mexico a decade later. "Take that, you animal-hating bitch!"

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2015 11:22 PM

It's disconcerting to see Doris' nipples on full display like that.

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2015 11:28 PM

Who knew Dodo had some major tits!? Didn't find it that awkward but Carol Wayne had to be the stupidest celebrity ever born. Aside from the Kardashians of course.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2015 11:33 PM

Carol Wayne drowned! Even with those huge flotation devices?

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2015 11:33 PM

Doris did have some major knockers, didn't she? Mike Nichols is supposed to have wanted her to play Mrs. Robinson in "The Graduate " - I could see it.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2015 1:14 AM

Doris was charming. Wonder how she's doing at 91.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2015 1:35 AM

That was the debut of Doris' new breast implants at age 50.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2015 1:41 AM

1) That was an unnecessary remark from Carol Wayne. Neither Day nor Carson asked her if she gave a shit about animals. She just cam out of the blue & offered her opinion. Stupid really because everyone knows that Doris Day is a huge animal advocate so why would anyone say that in front of her unless you want contention ?

2) Look at Doris' eyes though. Something was very off. They're not working together. Really. Look !

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2015 1:53 AM

"Who knew Dodo had some major tits!?"

I did. And apparently quite skilled between the sheet.

"Her relationship with her fourth husband Barry Comden also proves enlightening on the subject of Day’s sexual nature. A maitre d’ at one of her favourite restaurants, Comden had flirted with Day, realising that the way to her heart was through her dogs, for whom he used to supply plentiful leftovers.

Having asked her out and been refused, he persisted and – according to Kaufman – accompanied Day home after another date. He described what happened in a 1997 proposal for a tell-all memoir: “I sat on the end of her bed while she took a quick shower. On an impulse I opened the shower door. She let out a yell and for the first time I laid my eyes on the most beautiful body I had ever seen.”

They made love that night, Day asked him to move in – and he did. The tempestuous marriage lasted five years before ending in 1981."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2015 2:37 AM

Johnny was always a good host, and Doris Day was a delightful show business icon. However, that interview did not work. It was awkward, forced and rather uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2015 4:27 AM

R6 You're right.Her left eye is looking at Johnny while her right is looking at the audience..I wonder what she was on?

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2015 6:51 AM

Maybe she didn't like Johnny or Carol Wayne. She could have forced it and made it less awkward but she didn't want to.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2015 8:00 AM

Carol had a right to speak her mind, she was two of the biggest reasons viewers watched Carson.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2015 2:28 PM

Doris was never a good interview, and dare I say, was not the lovable sweetheart in person that she was onscreen. She was equally cold in an interview with Merv Griffin.

A studio suggested once that Audrey Hepburn and Doris Day meet for lunch in an effort to get to know each other. After the lunch date, Hepburn told friends that she never wanted to be around Day again, saying she was boring and only wanted to talk about clothes, shoes and other silly stuff.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2015 3:38 PM

I once met a waiter who said he made her cry when he couldn't get her order of fish correct after about four tries.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2015 3:42 PM

R15....yeah?

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2015 3:53 PM

Ms Doris is the queen of all size queens. Ten inches was her starting point..... Just ask Sly Stone.:) Who she didn't fuck but came to her house for music business from what I've heard.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2015 4:26 PM

The impression I have of DORIS DAY is that although she puts forth the persona of being the all American gal who keeps bouncing back that by age 45, 50 she was a deeply wounded individual who retreated except for those rare times one saw her in public for tv appearances etc..

DAY surrounded herself with the one thing that loved her unconditionally, her animals. I once asked CANDY BERGEN about DAY who could've ended up being her mother in law. I must've hit a nerve because BERGEN just looked at me and asked, "Why ? Why do you ask me about her ?"

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2015 5:58 PM

p.s. my friend who was with me, the one who 'knows' BERGEN pulled me aside & said, "if you really want to piss her off and bury yourself deeper, ask her about having been a friend to SHARON TATE and how she lived at the murder house up in Bel Air before SHARON and how manson once let himself in to the house when she was alone there." I asked him if that was true and he replied "absolutely". Apparently that is a true story and it happened about one year before the famous Helter Skelter murders. manson went to the house to see TERRY MELCHER who was living there with CANDICE. TERRY was in the music field and BRIAN WILSON had introduced manson to TERRY MELCHER a few weeks earlier and manson went looking for MELCHER to hopefully build a business relationship. Weird huh ? Anyway, supposedly manson let himself into the house and CANDICE encountered him and told him that TERRY wasn't there and asked him to leave. After the murders and then months later once it became known who was behind (the murders) CANDICE realized how close she had become to possibly having been a victim herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2015 6:18 PM

R6, she's really 93. She was born in 1922, not 1924, her purported birth year throughout her career.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2015 11:02 PM

Didn't Doris's husband run off with all her money and that's why she had to do the TV show?

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2015 4:45 AM

Her husband died and left her broke, though she had earned millions. He had also committed her to do the TV series on CBS without her knowledge. She took the money from five years of TV and retired with a big fat fuck you to showbiz.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2015 5:14 AM

It is airing right now on Antenna TV!

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2018 4:02 AM

I like her singing, but her acting and squeaky-clean screen persona are beyond boring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 3, 2018 4:52 AM

Big time boob job.

by Anonymousreply 25September 3, 2018 5:02 AM

Great work!

by Anonymousreply 26September 3, 2018 6:04 AM

Why was Barbara Walters such an unrelenting cunt to Doris Day? Seriously, she was downright hostile to her. Like she interviewing Susan Atkins or Eva Braun or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 3, 2018 6:09 AM

Barbara has always been a vicious cunt.

by Anonymousreply 28September 3, 2018 7:17 AM

Day didnt retire on her last few years of tv gigs. She sued her former lawyer/business mgr who squandered her fortune and won a sizeable settlement that was actually paid from the funds of the lawyers professional errors and omissions insurance coverage.

Day was awful in that interview. Johnny was a pro in trying to smooth it over. If Day was that uninterested in being on she should have just stayed home. She was almost hostile. It was strange.

by Anonymousreply 29September 3, 2018 11:39 PM

Johnny's jacket was wonderfully tragic.

by Anonymousreply 30September 3, 2018 11:50 PM

Why was Carol Wayne even sitting on the couch as a regular guest? I thought she only did appearances in those stupid skits? They must have been short on real celebrities that evening.

by Anonymousreply 31September 4, 2018 12:23 AM

When you look at the list of guest for the old Carson episodes, he really didn't have a lot of big stars in the lineups. He might have Doris Day, Jack Lemmon, or John Wayne---but he had far more guests like Shecky Greene, Foster Brooks, Dick Shawn and Karen Valentine. Plus a lot of C-list musical guests - Charo, Roger Miller, Lola Falana, Mel Tillis.

by Anonymousreply 32September 4, 2018 12:33 AM

She died under mysterious circumstances.

Did Johnny ever offer a tribute?

by Anonymousreply 33September 4, 2018 12:44 AM

[quote]I like her singing, but her acting and squeaky-clean screen persona are beyond boring.

Ah, but her parking skills.....

by Anonymousreply 34September 4, 2018 1:07 AM

Check out Doris staring down Perry Como like he's a juicy little pork chop she wants to devour. Can't really blame her but he was married and looks so uncomfortable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 4, 2018 1:07 AM

R19: It wasn't Brian who was involved with manson...it was Dennis. and boy, did he regret it.

by Anonymousreply 36September 4, 2018 1:11 AM

Not sure how verifiable this site is, but it is interesting to see which movies Doris didn't star in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 4, 2018 1:24 AM

It says in this article that Clint Eastwood was trying to lure her out of retirement in 2015. Would that have been for "Sully". I didn't see the movie, so I'm not sure what role she would have played.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 4, 2018 1:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!