Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hillary Clinton Serves Up the Jokes as Bartender to Herself on SNL: WATCH

As expected Democratic presidential candidate and former first lady Hillary Clinton showed up on SNL. Clinton played a bartender named Val forced to listen to Hillary Clinton (as played by Kate McKinnon) pour her heart out about the 2016 presidential…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2020 4:14 PM

Give her credit - she was pretty darned good! Human, almost.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2015 8:12 PM

Hillary is funny and personable. I don't get the criticism of her.

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2015 8:18 PM

Is it just me, or was that just plain dull. I mean no ill will toward Ms. Clinton, but it really wasn't funny, except perhaps the gay marriage joke , which was tepidly humorous at best. The ship sailed long ago for SNL.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2015 8:22 PM

I like when she comes out of her box and shows she can be funny and take jokes easily. We need see that side of her also. R3 It wasn't her fault, I am sure she didn't write it.

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2015 8:24 PM

That lame Donald Trump line was treated like some kind of burn.

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2015 8:59 PM

See, Rudy Giuliani? It is possible for a politician be funny and entertaining on TV without being a complete buffoon.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2015 9:25 PM

I liked the acceptance of self criticism for LGBT issues. Funny and human.

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2015 9:39 PM

"See, Rudy Giuliani? It is possible for a politician be funny and entertaining on TV without being a complete buffoon."

Fine. I give her a 9 on an 11 point scale.

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2015 9:54 PM

The Hammond cameo as Bill was the only good part.

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2015 10:21 PM

The Hammond cameo was the worst part because it was just a knee jerk. Didn't get the reaction anticipated as Hammond had an awkward exit. It would have been MUCH funnier if "Bill" had hit on Val in front of "Hillary".

by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2015 11:51 PM

Would have been much funnier if it had actually been Bill himself. What's he doing that he's too busy to be on an SNL sketch?

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2015 11:54 PM

Not stealing Hillary's focus?

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2015 12:24 AM

[quote]What's he doing that he's too busy to be on an SNL sketch?

Neither you nor I really want to know.

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2015 8:29 AM

The writing was poor and Hillary was stiff.

My grade would be a solid "C".

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2015 8:35 AM

How many times can she try to be "funny and human"? It's just not working. She should stop trying so hard. She just looks desperate and pathetic and not human and not funny at all.

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2015 10:46 AM

It's interesting that we think our President should be funny and personable and warm. That was one of Obama's problems. He's not a funny guy, and he tries to be humorous and it just lands like a rotten egg.

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2015 11:09 AM

Cringeworthy

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2015 11:12 AM

I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2015 11:54 AM

Actually Obama kills at the White House Press Dinner. We don't know if he isn't funny, he is detached but I would be too in that role. Hillary is best when her back is against the wall. See the 2008 race when she started to realize she was losing it, that's when I was most impressed with her.

by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2015 12:15 PM

ALIEN ATTACK

by Anonymousreply 20October 5, 2015 12:30 PM

She can do funny. Obama could as well, but he holds back - you can see it in "Between Two Ferns".

by Anonymousreply 21October 5, 2015 12:34 PM

They understand how naive and pliable their audience is. The joking would be fine, if she were out talking freely with The American People, as well. Everything is staged, with her.

by Anonymousreply 22October 5, 2015 1:17 PM

No, Obama is not funny. He ruins the humor because he doesn't understand delivery. His vocal inflections never land the joke properly.

In fact, a lot of what he says doesn't land with authority because he allows his voice to go up which we in the US take that vocal cue as a question.

by Anonymousreply 23October 5, 2015 1:39 PM

Bad delivery. Bad timing. Bad performance. Bad judgment. Bad candidate.

by Anonymousreply 24October 5, 2015 1:52 PM

Right. Right. Right. Right. Right

by Anonymousreply 25October 5, 2015 2:21 PM

[quote]The ship sailed long ago for SNL.

Why were you watching it then?

by Anonymousreply 26October 5, 2015 2:28 PM

Everything is staged, with her.

Well it was a comedy sketch after all.

by Anonymousreply 27October 5, 2015 3:49 PM

American voter expect a politician to be bad on SNL. it is what makes them normal looking as normal people would do the same thing. If she came across as a slick actor, people would doubt her sincerity. She did exactly what she needed to do by NOT being perfect.

by Anonymousreply 28October 5, 2015 4:44 PM

[quote]If she came across as a slick actor, people would doubt her sincerity.

A new Suffolk University/USA Today poll released Thursday asked 1,000 voters to describe the three main figures in the Democratic presidential race using a single word........ the most frequent response for Clinton was “liar/dishonest,” followed by “untrustworthy/fake.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 5, 2015 5:01 PM

Could be a lot worse - could you imagine the Prime Minister of Canada, Heir Harper doing a comedy routine? the guy even walks funny. . .

by Anonymousreply 30October 5, 2015 5:03 PM

I haven't watched SNL in years, so I've never seen Kate McKinnon before. She's terrible.

by Anonymousreply 31October 5, 2015 5:05 PM

r29, that is a freeper right to life page. I'm surprised that BLOODY and CANKLES weren't Hillary words for them.

Thanks for trying, Kochpuppet.

Freeper sites generate crap that is re-posted as fact all over the net.

Crap is crap.

by Anonymousreply 32October 5, 2015 5:10 PM

[quote] They understand how naive and pliable their audience is. The joking would be fine, if she were out talking freely with The American People

You can thank Dick Cheney for that.

He saw early on that Dubya needed to be seen and heard as little as possible. The Bush presidency had fewer press conferences and than any previous modern presidency and far fewer photo ops on the campaign trail than any other candidate. Did they really believe nobody else would think, "Say, that's a good idea. From now on, our candidates and presidents will only be seen in small, tightly controlled doses"?

Or did you think only Bush/Cheney would tightly control their appearances and everybody else would carry on as usual after that?

by Anonymousreply 33October 5, 2015 5:11 PM

R23 hasn't seen those press dinner videos... where Obama nailed the timing and the jokes.

by Anonymousreply 34October 5, 2015 5:15 PM

[quote]Freeper sites generate crap that is re-posted as fact all over the net.

The same info can be found on ABC News' website:

"Clinton can’t shake the reputation that she’s hiding something. . . . . .The word “liar” was mentioned 178 times in association with Hillary Clinton. Some of the other top words voters said to describe the former Secretary of State were “dishonest,” “untrustworthy,” and “criminal.” "

Or is ABC News just another Freeper website in your opinion?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2015 5:26 PM

So many freepers , like R29, R35 on this site it's really sad.

by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2015 5:48 PM

No, R36, I am a Bernie Sanders supporter. He has more personal integrity than Hillary Clinton. I can't trust a lifelong politician who builds a $100 million personal fortune in "public service."

by Anonymousreply 37October 5, 2015 5:51 PM

Where is fun loving, pantyfree Madame Trudeau when we need her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2015 6:02 PM

Hillary was okay and less nervous than I thought she'd be - comedy is hard and doing it on live national t.v. is really hard. I thought Miley Cyrus did an excellent job hosting and I liked her new songs. She has a helluva voice, too. I'm now back to loving her. One of the best SNL's I've seen in years.

by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2015 6:05 PM

I like Bernie Sanders too, but I don't think, despite his current lead in New Hampshire, that he has any shot of receiving the nomination. Hillary might be a little still and scripted but she would be preferable over ANY Republican candidate.

by Anonymousreply 40October 5, 2015 6:05 PM

R39 = Shilly McLame

by Anonymousreply 41October 5, 2015 6:06 PM

*little stiff

by Anonymousreply 42October 5, 2015 6:06 PM

r34 please post a clip and I'll be happy to take a look. However, I've never seen Obama be funny where it wasn't extremely uncomfortable. It's like laughing when a special needs kid makes a joke, you feel you have to laugh to encourage the kid, but it's not in the least funny.

by Anonymousreply 43October 5, 2015 7:16 PM

Let's be honest, the Clintons are playing from an old rule book. It is generally acknowledged that when Bill Clinton played the saxophone on Arsenio Hall's show that the tide turned for him and sealed the election in his favor.

They're trying to do the same thing for Hillary, but she doesn't have the same style that Bill had and she's failing miserably.

by Anonymousreply 44October 5, 2015 7:20 PM

Oh please. All major politicians go on SNL. Bob Dole, Steve Forbes, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Poppy Bush, Chris Christie, Rudolph Giuliani, Obama, Al Gore, Jesse Jackson, George McGovern, Ralph Nader, Ed Koch, Al Sharpton, Gerald Ford....and oh yeah, Hillary Clinton in 2008.

Who are you idiots who have no recollections of other pols going on SNL? It's a rite of passage to appear on this long-unfunny show in lame toothless sketches.

by Anonymousreply 45October 5, 2015 8:10 PM

*cringe*

by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2020 4:02 PM

This thread is 5 years old!

Someone is bumping these old Hillary threads - this is the 2nd one I've seen.

Hill, is that you??

by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2020 4:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!