Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What would YOU do with this bland looking New York apartment to make it look good....AND make it homey and a nice place to live?

& yes, this is the Imperial House apartment from the other (popular) thread...

I was just looking at it and thinking what the hell would I do with it to make it look better...so I thought I'd ask DL to decorate it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2021 4:01 AM

The bland parquet floors need to be replaced with a dark long wood, then some modern furniture pieces put in.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2015 4:27 PM

[quote]The bland parquet floors need to be replaced with a dark long wood

Fuck that, I'd carpet it.

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2015 4:30 PM

Paint the walls in some colors that would make it feel inviting. Too much white is going on.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2015 4:36 PM

I would go full 1950's retro. Seriously. With a layout like that, I'd just go with the flow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2015 4:36 PM

R4 Or:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2015 4:36 PM

I agree. Color needed. Very good built in bookshelves. No piles of books all over the place for me.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2015 4:38 PM

R5 I find with certain typically undesirable elements for today's trends (wood paneling, cross hatch and linoleum floors, busy wallpaper, etc.), that some people think are too dated, going in that direction full force is sometimes the best answer. More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2015 4:41 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2015 4:43 PM

I live in NYC, and it amazes me that a $2.5mm apartment has cheap, press board kitchen cabinets.

Ridiculously high maintenance in a post-war building, i.e., concrete, institutional building.

It needs different area rugs, some color that isnt washed out, vomit green, furniture from this decade (or many decades ago) that grandma hasn't been using covers to keep them looking nice.

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2015 4:43 PM

I'm liking plaid, green and red rugs, now. I like the look of cream predominantly in a room against a striking rug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2015 4:45 PM

Imperial House is for NYC's upper crust.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2015 4:45 PM

WHY oh why are we discussing this fucking apartment again, when the other tread did it handily.

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2015 4:47 PM

thread

by Anonymousreply 13October 4, 2015 4:47 PM

I wouldn't go for the 60s retro look people are posting at all.

I'd go for a much more classical look.

by Anonymousreply 14October 4, 2015 4:48 PM

I want an idealized, "Grandparents" house, now. I look at the sets on shows like "Dennis the Menace", "I Love Lucy" and "Leave it to Beaver" and I'm impressed at how well they did spare, in the '50s and early '60s.

The ideal home looked cozy but not cluttered, sleek but with historical elements and a cultural nod. Rarely too clinical or stuffy. It was also a very livable period for interior design. Tough, simple fabrics, nothing too precious or museum like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 4, 2015 4:50 PM

i would burn it out and go 80's squatter chic with chandeliers and furniture made of junk.

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2015 4:51 PM

I would go for a high class country manor look like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 4, 2015 4:52 PM

Those places R15, they never seemed to own a single book....most of us have so much more 'stuff' now.

by Anonymousreply 18October 4, 2015 4:53 PM

& I personally like my stuff around me...and that included DVDs etc.

by Anonymousreply 19October 4, 2015 4:55 PM

I don't care how frou-frou this makes me sound but a room can go from "austere" to "cozy" with simple, plain Priscilla curtains. You have to avoid going chintz on everything else or it will too ridiculous looking, though.

by Anonymousreply 20October 4, 2015 4:56 PM

I would mirror one wall to add some refinement, put a nice wood ceiling fan to add character with matching wood wall panels. Then have some knick-knacks around to give it a more homey feel, framed with some soft pink curtains for a touch of class.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 4, 2015 4:57 PM

That looks like a motel in Kentucky, in 1960, R17.

by Anonymousreply 22October 4, 2015 4:57 PM

1930's interiors were wonderful, too. My favorite film sets are from 1930's films. Go with the overwhelmingly creamy-white palette with black elements, then to make it more casual, go for classic English check/watch drapes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 4, 2015 4:58 PM

Oh, I see...you were kidding.

by Anonymousreply 24October 4, 2015 5:00 PM

R18 They all had libraries, offices, dens or parlors that included libraries. People had priority areas to display books because that was a status symbol for Middle Class Americans; encyclopedia sets, books. Town libraries were also more frequently used.

by Anonymousreply 25October 4, 2015 5:03 PM

R25 The go-to backdrop for tv program introductions, was the den/office library:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 4, 2015 5:04 PM

Needs more color.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2015 5:05 PM

Remove wall between kitchen and dining room. Put in a modern handle-free smoked oak kitchen with Gaggenau appliances. Keep the walls white. Put in 50's Danish architectural furniture. Integrated light system. 100% hidden STEALTH speakers. Art work by Yang Shaobin and Yue Minjun. No open bookshelves (e-books anyone?) all books etc behind doors. As few lamps as possible. As little clutter and knick-knacks as possible.

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2015 5:10 PM

R17 Actually, there are some nice elements in the bicentennial, 1970's colonial revival trend in The US. Although I'd update aspects of it, some ideas are still attractive.

The use of a primarily cream, sepia, stone or mustard base, with intense hints of rust, ochres, and greens (like found in old needlepoint samplers from the 1700's), always exudes coziness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 4, 2015 5:21 PM

The ceilings are too low to do anything other than it's own time period - mid century - or go minimalist. There just no height to do anything too involved. It'd look good with a Bewitched makeover, simple clean lines, limited muted palette (ochre, teal, sage, grey), knock down the wall between kitchen and dining room, get some fabulous retro Danish light fittings, maybe some plantation shutters on the windows to make it cosier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 4, 2015 10:15 PM

NO OPEN KITCHENS! I don't need the whole house to smell when cooking!

New cabinetry, backsplash, countertops and flooring in kitchen. Why not go with wide plank flooring in the rest and add some fucking color. Adding colors and textures might help "de-box" the joint. It's a perfectly nice pad, there's nothing some taste can't fix!

by Anonymousreply 31October 5, 2015 1:01 AM

For starters, I'd move. $2.500,000 for that?????

by Anonymousreply 32October 5, 2015 2:26 AM

Strip the floor and stain in a silvered gray with a high gloss finish.

The walls shoud go the palest grassy green.

Furniture should go low wide rounded modern.

Color should come from paintings.

Tear out the kitchen. Put in apartment-sized sink, stove, fridge with one free-standing cabinet for stuff.

by Anonymousreply 33October 5, 2015 2:52 AM

I'd buy this instead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 5, 2015 3:05 AM

I'd definitely handle those pathetic rows of windows with full wall-length curtains like at r5 and r8. Put a piece of long furniture under them just like they did, too.

by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2015 5:04 AM

God, that house is gorgeous, r34 (though I would quibble with some of the design choices).

Too bad it's in Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2015 9:56 AM

It's New York and there's no clutter? No piles of books everywhere, or paintings leaning against the walls?

by Anonymousreply 37October 5, 2015 10:02 AM

R21 - your suggestion is beyond delicious!

There is just so much to commend you upon your good taste with that room. I like the use of clean spaces to highlight the collections and the utterly gorgeous curtains which set off the fine ceiling fan.

Well done!

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2015 10:17 AM

I have been following the detroit real estate listings for a year now. There are some gorgeous old mansions once owned by auto industry magnates which are in disrepair now, but their bones are magnificent. If you have 200K to put into improvements, and resale is of no interest to you(I'm the end of the line in my family, so everything's going to charity anyway) it would be fun to have a lovely grand home which would be 3 million in Charleston or Georgetown for a little over half a million.

by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2015 10:20 AM

I too am quite inspired by R21. Do you think I could replace the porcelain angels with commemorative snow globes and souvenir spoons? I'm not particularly religious.

by Anonymousreply 40October 5, 2015 10:24 AM

R21 looks like a place Kim Davis would call home.

by Anonymousreply 41October 5, 2015 11:39 AM

Attn NYers: What does "full-service building" mean?

Does the doorman do you coming and going?

by Anonymousreply 42October 5, 2015 11:56 AM

They would be equally classy R40. You should certainly try to infuse your own personality in your decorating!

by Anonymousreply 43October 5, 2015 12:03 PM

[quote]I have been following the detroit real estate listings for a year now. There are some gorgeous old mansions once owned by auto industry magnates which are in disrepair now, but their bones are magnificent. If you have 200K to put into improvements, and resale is of no interest to you (I'm the end of the line in my family, so everything's going to charity anyway) it would be fun to have a lovely grand home which would be 3 million in Charleston or Georgetown for a little over half a million.

R39, thinking about resale would, in fact, be the ONLY reason to buy one of those Detroit mansions. If you wait it out 10 -20 years, the city could turn around and you could get rich from the investment. But to buy to actual live in it would be like committing suicide. It's a war zone there.

by Anonymousreply 44October 6, 2015 4:14 AM

You forgot to say “Tasteful Friends,” OP.

by Anonymousreply 45March 28, 2021 3:33 AM

You need to go white white, or pick a color. Off white, cream, beige and taupe is death. Clean white walls and freshly done floors, people like CLEAN.

New appliances.

by Anonymousreply 46March 28, 2021 3:41 AM

Are you trying to rent this out? The furniture is awful.

by Anonymousreply 47March 28, 2021 3:43 AM

It's not that bad. You need to clean it. Clearly, you need to get better furniture. Get plants. Better art.

If you are asking what to redo, I would take down that wall and gut that kitchen. You did not post the bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2021 4:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!