Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wacky, Old Hollywood thread.

Yes, there are other Hollywood threads but this one is very specific. It's where we list all the oddities of old star's lifestyles, homes and relationships.

Also, current weird, Hollywood tours and festivals that cover the old houses and gardens of these stars, as well as the films that made them famous. Myths, legends and gossip has a home here, too. Extra respect to those who can find pictures of kitsch products used by old stars that are no, longer relevant or used (think: Bakelite cigarette holders).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2020 6:32 PM

Is there now a fan society of "Ladies in Black" who still place roses at Valentino's grave?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2015 2:05 PM

Do you think there is a secret society of young actors who want to keep the Peg Entwistle legend alive and also stop trespassers from climbing up to The Hollywood Sign at night, so they do it the good, old Hollywood way: Dress up as her ghost and wander the hill to keep watch? I think maybe some young actresses do it for fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2015 2:12 PM

24 Hour live webcams of The Hollywood Sign:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2015 2:13 PM

Do you believe there is something clandestine about The LA Library and the symbolism in its design?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2015 2:18 PM

This is a bit, more modern but tells the continuing story, just the same:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2015 2:20 PM

Interesting how Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks would choose a statue of Icarus -- either in homage to something else or an original piece -- and place it on their lawn.

We all know the story of Icarus. He didn't listen to warnings from his Father, flew too close to The Sun and crashed down to Earth because of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2015 2:30 PM

During Hollywood's early fixation with exoticism and esoteric and Occult religions, "Garden of Allah" was a fixture, everywhere; The "Garden of Allah" hotel, villas and private gardens named that, as well.

"The Lord of the star Sirius" is worshiped in Islam and Sirius holds a special place in the inner minds of Kabbalaists (Ancient, Jewish esoteric philosophy and mysticism), Freemasons, Luciferians, Theosophists, Numerologists and others, all heavily represented sects in Hollywood. Mormonism was started by Freemason Adam Smith. Scientology shares many of the same philosophies and rituals as Theosophists. Theosophists have a legacy going back to the beginning of the town.

Does there remain a deeper, religious connection or was this just an era trend?

Was this merely just a

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2015 2:40 PM

Merle Oberon passing her mother off as her maid for years.

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2015 2:40 PM

The Robert Taylor-Barbara Stanwyck marriage.

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2015 2:41 PM

The Janet Gaynor and Adrian marriage was always talked about as a typical, Hollywood lavender marriage but I just assumed it was Adrian who was gay but not Janet. Janet seemed heavily involved with Charles Ferrell in their movies and truly crushing on him, by all accounts. Yet, lots of Hollywood workers called her the "little lesbian" and there were rumors about the trips she and Adrian would take with Mary Martin and her husband.

However, I just never got the vibe from Janet and wondered if she knew she was in an arrangement with Adrian but they both wanted children. Marriage was more transactional back then and less about romance than social standing and security but for some reason, I just don't think she really was involved with Martin. I feel like they were just best friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2015 3:13 PM

R10 Of course, maybe it was Adrian who was really her best friend and Mary was something else.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2015 3:14 PM

R10 you can tell just by that picture that somethings majorly off.

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2020 6:16 PM

Marlene Dietrich staying in bed for the last 10 years of you life out of ennui.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2020 6:25 PM

Wasp Woman Susan Cabot getting bludgeoned to death by her special needs son with a weightlifting bar.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2020 6:27 PM

I adore Adrian as an artist, thought he was attractive, and have always been intrigued. I'd have loved a tome on his sexual nature, experiences, & habits...but that will never be.

by Anonymousreply 15December 11, 2020 6:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!