Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Hello!! No, I'm sorry ...wrong EMAIL address!"

I've been getting emails sent to me in error.

I've been invited to an artsy party on the Upper West Side of New York, a personal invitation (to Dick & Joan).

&

Thanked for joining Netflix (addressed to a guy called Bailey)

NOT SPAM, clearly.

This is new to me. Does it ever happen to you?

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2020 6:41 PM

All the time.

3 different people in 3 different states are just positive that my email address actually belongs to each of them.

It doesn't. (but it's a great email address)

They sign up for all kinds of things and even give it out to their friends and workplaces.

When you get a signup notice for something good, immediately go online and claim you "forgot" your password, use email verification. Create a new password and BAM! Now it's all yours. The imposters will NEVER get back in.

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2015 10:27 PM

check the e-mail headers, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2015 10:33 PM

you still send email? how quaint.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2015 10:43 PM

[quote]When you get a signup notice for something good, immediately go online and claim you "forgot" your password, use email verification. Create a new password and BAM! Now it's all yours. The imposters will NEVER get back in.

Then some poor bastard (Bailey) will being paying for my netflix. I can't do that.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2015 11:21 PM

I started receiving emails from some kind of design firm and also landscaping services in emails sent to a few people. When they first started showing up, I politely replied to all writing that I received the emails in error and for them to correct the address. Someone replied and thanked me for bringing it to their attention and saying they would correct, but to this day, I still continue to receive such emails.

by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2015 12:20 AM

If you mark them as spam, R5, they'll go to the spam folder.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2015 8:04 AM

I'm getting wrong e-mail all the time on one of my gmail accounts. I used to write back about their mistake but practically never got a reply back so now I just don't bother anymore. Unless the e-mail seems important with an invoice or with secrets. Few months ago I got a training session schedule of a national level sports team because someone mistaked my e-mail for belonging to one of the coaches. I replied and told them of the mistake but when I later received another one I didn't bother anymore. I don't read those mails because I they are not for me.

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2015 8:15 AM

Maybe someone else is signing up for stuff with your email address. Not gonna lie, I’ve done it before.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2020 5:43 PM

Is it ‘bigdicktop69@******.com’? Because that’s mine and I’ve been waiting for Netflix to activate my account.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2020 5:49 PM

It happens to me. I've received nude photos in error, a dating site in another country (I have an ethnic nonWASP surname) sent me confirmation of my dating profile. I sure had fun changing the password and rewriting that profile. Last week I wrote to my namesake informing him a national clothing chain sent me a confirmation of his shirt order -- they gave me the postal address. I attribute my receipt of others' emails to:

Having a twenty-year old gmail address

etailers' webforms mangling entered email addresses for insertion to CRM databases

people fatfingering orders on tiny smartphone keyboards

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2020 5:55 PM

Gmail has major problems in this area because their incoming servers ignore any periods in the email handle. So if your email address is chriskenney@gmail.com, then chris.kenney will also reach you at the same address. I am not convinced that this was always the case though. There is another person with the same name as me who I am almost convinced actually has some sort of read access to the same account. I get too much personal mail for him.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2020 5:58 PM

Email addresses from old hacks are traded online all the time. Basically, they are "disposable addresses" that people can use for spamming others, signing them up to receive spam, when the scammers need a disposable email to try to sign up for something etc. Basically, your, say, old Gmail address along with some old password from a leak from years ago got into the hands of a scammer and they probably tried it out on Amazon, eBay, PayPal, Netflix, Twitter, Instagram, wherever you're likely to have had an account. Generally, it doesn't work since you've likely changed the password or contact info at the said site but it's enough to strike the proverbial gold once or twice to make it worth their efforts.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2020 6:03 PM

I get them in my gmail account. I receive billing and account info for someone's electric service in the UK all the time. I've received customer service replies for someone's cell phone service in another state. And I've received a quote for a landscaping job for someone in Australia. Sometimes I try to follow up with the sender to let them know the mistake (the Australian landscaper). Sometimes I just ignore them (the UK electric company).

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2020 6:38 PM

2015 thread brought to you by loser @R8

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2020 6:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!