Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"2010: The Year We Make Contact" is on TCM.

I love this movie. Let's discuss this and all Space travel/Space related movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2021 3:04 AM

There was a thread about this within the last year another time it was on TCM (of course, can't be found using Search). The consensus was that it's underrated and suffers in comparison to 2001. I enjoy it, although the acting can be overeager at times, and it lacks the mystery of 2010. It's very much of its time rather than of our time, i.e., 2010 and beyond. 2001 was quite timeless except for the retro moon scenes near the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2015 10:45 PM

I liked Sunshine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2015 10:47 PM

I saw it once and hated it. What's so great about it?

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2015 10:48 PM

[quote] I liked Sunshine

So did I.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2015 10:48 PM

Never seen it, OP. Any good?

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2021 2:42 AM

2001 is a transcendent work of art about being.

Interstellar doesn't compare very favorably to 2001 (nothing does IMO) but I think it's also brilliant.

So is arrival, even though it's set on Earth.

2010 is a pretty good sci-fi movie.

Sunshine is also a pretty good psychological sci-fi movie.

Gravity was massively overrated. Good effects, but Sandra Bullock writhing around in her bra and panties and then falling from space to land safely and wash up on a tropical shore? Trash.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2021 2:56 AM

The book is so much better. You get to see the life on Europa amongst other things. The creatures that live there destroy the Chinese ship the precedes the Russian/ American mission.

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2021 3:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!