Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Civet de chevreuil avec spätzli et chou rouge

Swiss autumn "comfort food"

So its roe deer (venison) mushroom ragout. With pasta lumps made out of an egg noodle type mixture. And cooked, reduced red cabbage slaw. Typical swiss preparation for fall. The supermarket chains offer it pre-made. Nobody seems to buy it anymore, especially young people, so its always on sale. But they keep making it. Like all rigid cultures, the Swiss stick to their diets and food varieties. So the old fart traditional food is often cheap - the sausages, patés, salty or sweet tarts. All the odd cuts of meat. Nobody wanted the most delicious old fashioned bread today either at the supermarket - it was 1/2 off.

I'll eat it a couple times every autumn. The label says its wild dear from Germany, Austria or Czech Republic so thats an improvement. I remember other years it was frozen farmed meat, sometimes not even European.

Here's a upscale presentation.

What are the old traditional preparations you'll eat a few times in autumn, just to mark the change of seasons?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2021 12:28 AM

I do not like deer, moose or that other deer like animal. I just don't like any of it.

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2015 6:34 PM

I like baby doe, not more than 2 months old, sublime and so tender.

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2015 7:02 PM

Ai has done et reindeer in Norge.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2015 7:07 PM

huh?

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2015 7:10 PM

I'm half middle-eastern so occaisonally I'll find myself craving plain rice, colored with saffron with a bit of butter mixed in. Can't make it as good as my grandmother did but I suppose thats true for almost anyone. Also miss her cardamom and cinnamon spiced carrot cake.

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2015 7:31 PM

I'm in Italy and people...even young people... still do eat traditional winter food. Things like ragu of wild boar or ragu of duck over egg pasta, tripe, rabbit. I love it all.

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2015 7:50 PM

I like sanglier (wild boar) ragout. Sometimes I'll go to the Jura to have it. The duck sounds good. What's it called in Italian, please?

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2015 7:55 PM

Tripe, I need copious quantities of wine to get it down.

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2015 7:56 PM

Eat tripe? No Dear, that just is not done.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2015 8:46 PM

C'est dégueulasse.

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2015 8:57 PM

Civet de sanglier (wild boar ragu) served with a side of gratin de crozets (a savoyard pasta) -- delicious, typical fare in the Haute-Savoie during the autumn months.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2015 9:43 PM

I love venison but hate spaetzle.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2015 9:52 PM

R1 never tried it but I'd try anything once.

by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2021 12:13 AM

How do you say, "It looks like DOG SHIT" in French?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2021 12:15 AM

Scary.

What's with the purplish blue glowing thing in the middle of the plate?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2021 12:17 AM

R14 I think its "J'adore manger des crottes de chien." My French is a bit shaky though.

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2021 12:22 AM

I assume OP is being condescending?

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2021 12:24 AM

[quote] The label says its wild dear from Germany, Austria or Czech Republic so thats an improvement.

Oh deer, OP! And work on your apostrophes while you're at it.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2021 12:25 AM

Why is the dish at R14 called Jackhole?

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2021 12:27 AM

Premade? You're kidding, right?

We always, of course, make the dish (with a slightly different - meaning better - seasoning set and, of course, our own Knoepfle, which is the proper Swiss egg noodle to use, not Spaetzle.

OP is as unsuccessful at being condescending as she is typing in English and pretending to any knowledge of Swiss cookery.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2021 12:30 AM

I walked Le Chemin Du Puy from Le-Puy-En-Velay to Saint-Jean-Pied-De-Port. As I stayed in gites with half board, I soon the downside of local, in season.

For example, a full 10 days of the route I ate duck every night for dinner. It’s effectively a by-product of the food grad industry. I ate duck stew, duck croquettes, duck confit, duck hearts in burgundy and even duck pizza. And sadly, no roast duck with brown, crisp skin. I hasten to add little of it was fresh, but frozen and reheated. Still, I appreciated the local specialities.

Another area served aligot in 4 successive locations. It’s a hand whipped potato and cheese concoction. One guy made it at the table in a dinner theatre type presentation. He also made us sing. 😬

An, of course, out of Le-Puy-En-Velay, it was lentils-and-sausage every night. I like lentils, so no complaints there.

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2021 12:41 AM

Duck and Rabbit.

GROSS!

I can barely tolerate chicken.

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2021 12:45 AM

European comfort food is great if you don't think too hard about what you're eating.

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2021 12:48 AM

Curried rabbit is especially delicious!

Duck with fruit sauce = Yummers!

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2021 12:48 AM

Apparently all other threads from 2015 have already been bumped and this stomach-churning farrago was the only one left.

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2021 12:48 AM

Do you all realize that chevreuil could be Bambi's mother? And curried rabbit that someone suggests could be Thumper? Is Fleur the skunk next? You're all beasts!

by Anonymousreply 26July 9, 2021 12:38 PM

🤮🤢🤮🤢🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2021 12:47 PM

[quote]The label says its wild dear from Germany,

Oh Deere!

by Anonymousreply 28July 9, 2021 12:51 PM

R20 Maybe you should go back in time and dickslap her.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2021 7:04 PM

Bump Bitch at R29

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2021 10:26 PM

If Greg was around in 2015 (as he insists he was), maybe this is the thread that gave him delusions of grandeur and got him started.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2021 10:39 PM

[quote] Oh Deere!

Oh, Deer.

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2021 11:42 PM

[quote] If Greg was around in 2015 (as he insists he was), maybe this is the thread that gave him delusions of grandeur and got him started.

"As he 'insists' he was." What a little bitch you are.

I was indeed around in 2015 and during the twenty years prior to then. "Insists" has a tone to it that shows R31 to be a sniveling little shit. In any case, I don't recall this particular thread and certainly don't need it to have delusions of grandeur.

I do like venison (farm raised) and when I had a catering business, venison was one of my most popular and requested entrees in the fall and winter. If anyone is interested, I have a really wonderful way to prepare it. I would typically serve it with a puree of sweet potatoes, a dried fruit chutney (or sometimes a roasted half-pear), and roasted Brussels sprouts. Oh, and a Rioja Demi-glace. Farm raised venison loin is delicious if you don't overcook it. And it is not at all gamey. Sometimes I would prepare a rack of venison with grilled peaches if I was serving venison in the summer. The rack is a lovely and dramatic presentation.

Let me know if you're tempted to make venison loin and I'll share what is truly a delicious way to prepare it.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2021 11:54 PM

I really thought this was going to be Greg’s “what’s for dinner” thread.

My traditional winter dishes are chili, farro salad, roasted Brussels sprouts, twice-baked potatoes but with olive oil, lemon, shallots, and parsley instead of cheddar and bacon. I may attempt a pan pizza in my cast iron, and I’m making colcannon for Halloween.

But tonight I had spaghetti al limone 🍋

by Anonymousreply 34October 22, 2021 12:00 AM

Spaghetti al limone is one of my favorites!

Ina has a similar recipe that is dead simple and delicious. If you like lemon, give it a try.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 22, 2021 12:10 AM

I like venison steamed with orange peel and various other seasonings.

Like Greg said, not great for stewing, braising or cooking for a long time. It's just too lean.

by Anonymousreply 36October 22, 2021 2:04 AM

I marinade my venison loin for at least four hours and usually overnight. My marinade includes the following:

Grated orange zest

Fresh orange juice

EVOO

Ground cinnamon

Small pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Ground star anise

Black peppercorns

Crushed garlic cloves

Sprig of thyme

by Anonymousreply 37October 22, 2021 1:30 PM

[quote] With pasta lumps made out of an egg noodle type mixture.

Ah, no thank you. Who on earth wrote this?

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2021 3:07 PM

WTF are "pasta lumps?"

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2021 9:24 PM

Maybe they mean dumplings?

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2021 9:50 PM

Good guess.

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2021 12:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!