Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the proper way to serve champagne?

I noticed on a TV show that an unopened bottle of champagne was placed in its ice bucket upside down, opening nose down. For some reason this caught my attention. I thought about the times I've served champagne with the opening up, the body of the bottle sitting in the ice of an ice bucket.

Does it matter which end is up when serving unopened champagne? And why? What about white and other chilled bottles of wine?

by Anonymousreply 53July 2, 2021 2:04 PM

nobody puts an unopened bottle of champagne upside down in the ice bucket. You do that when it is empty.

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2015 1:39 PM

Well, not burnt would be a start...

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2015 1:45 PM

R1, maybe that's it, it was empty and not an unopened bottle. Thanks. Makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2015 2:18 PM

Also, only put the empty bottle upside down if the bucket is in a stand. Or a very serious, heavy bucket. Otherwise the weight of the bottle could tip over the bucket.

In a restaurant the server should be serving the champagne and know when its out. At home, it would be a bit pretentious to have a stand.

There are only about 6 glasses in a bottle. Depending on how many guests you have, you shouldn't even need a bucket. You only need it if you are 2 or 3 people.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2015 2:31 PM

Thanks for the info, r4. Sensible and useful. I was thinking about the times I've used an ice bucket on the table.

I'd use a stand at home if I thought it wouldn't be pretentious, but a fun, extra special touch for an occasion. I might scout out a stand, much against your wishes. One bottle is never enough, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2015 2:43 PM

The 2nd bottle is in the fridge. That is the one that might need a bucket.

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2015 2:53 PM

The point of turning the bottle upside down is you want the waiter to know to ask you if you want another bottle. So there would be no point in doing that at home. If you pour out the last glass, take the bottle to the kitchen and bring out a new one.

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2015 2:54 PM

I wanna make sure all my friends and relatives see and acknowledge the label. "See that? Dom Perignon. My neighbor asked me if it was something to do with S&M. I know this is not like that Andre stuff you are so fond of Beatrice, but hopefully you will like it. It is called Dom Perignon. It costs a LOT. Oh I don't want to say. But everyone could have had their own bottle of Andre. Three or four bottles of Andre. "

Plus if we put the label down in the ice, it might make it blurry. We might want to soak it off in case, you know, the label on our next bottle of Dom Perignon had fallen off and we need to glue this one on.

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2015 3:02 PM

I don't like Dom Perignon and would never serve expensive champagne to people who don't have "champagne tastes". I pretty much never serve vintage champagne anyway, because I can't afford it. Rich friends with champagne lifestyles serve it to me.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2015 3:07 PM

You also need to chill a bottle of champagne neck down in ice for at least 30 minutes if you want to saber it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2015 3:09 PM

who the fuck sabers champagne? maybe at a special event.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2015 3:11 PM

Luv these responses. R8, made me laugh. Too many years ago I bought a bottle of Dom, wholesale from a commercial customer. I worked in a bank. I wanted to impress my boyfriend's family at a holiday gathering. I was the shit. Never regretted that 60 bucks.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2015 3:12 PM

I must stop by the sword store, pronto.

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2015 3:18 PM

Oh, for Christ's sake... Sabering? Sounds like someone has a willful negligence suit wish.

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2015 3:44 PM

From the ass, of course.

by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2015 3:58 PM

Usually ROTC guys and Military grads do the sabering. After they leave school, there is nothing else to use their sabers for, except maybe to make an arch at a wedding.

by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2015 4:08 PM

When is Charles Shaw coming out with champagne?

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2015 4:24 PM

It would be ridiculous to saber a standard bottle of champagne and you would need an experienced expert to saber expensive bottles, perhaps some Cristal at a Russian billionaire wedding. Then it might be funny.

by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2015 4:27 PM

How does one saber a box of of fine cardbordeux?

by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2015 4:35 PM

As I struggle with my box (of wine) I had to laugh with r19.

by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2015 5:11 PM

Veuve Cliquot is your best bang 4 your $

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2015 10:46 PM

I hate poor people.

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2015 10:51 PM

BTW, one should never pop the cork off champagne. Rock cork gently back and forth with a little pop.

by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2015 10:52 PM

Also, if you're a box wine drinker avoid Almaden at all costs. That brand fucks w/ your brain Violent, melancholy even suicidal. Vella is the better choice but sangria it up with fruits. Irish folks should avoid white wines Chemically, they can't handle it for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2015 10:59 PM

Champagne, only the real stuff, makes a great enema.

by Anonymousreply 25October 3, 2015 11:12 PM

I need some champagne to saber. With some military type.

Hope springs eternal.

by Anonymousreply 26October 4, 2015 12:38 AM

I don't pop my cork for every guy I see.

by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2015 3:03 AM

Open-toed slippers are out for serving, OP. You sound like the type not to realize that.

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2015 3:10 AM

Which tastes better Dom, Cristal or Veuve Cliquot ?

by Anonymousreply 29October 4, 2015 3:46 AM

I have to buy a new yacht every time I want to open a bottle of champagne.

by Anonymousreply 30October 4, 2015 5:25 AM

I'd say Dom out of those three, R29, but there are better champagnes than Dom. Take a look at Taittinger's good champagnes.

by Anonymousreply 31October 4, 2015 5:32 AM

Taittinger and Bollinger are my favorites, followed by The Grand Dame. They seem to have a more powerful taste than Dom, which has a flat taste to me. The proper way is to never make a big deal of it. Just twist the cork slowly and it will pop. Wrap the neck of the bottle in a cloth napkin to keep it cool, and to keep from getting your hands wet. No sabering, no letting the cork fly across the room. That's tacky and signals that you are a champagne novice. The bottle can be chilled for 15 minutes in the freezer if you're in a time crunch, but it's better to refrigerate for at least 30-45 minutes. The upside down bottle in the ice bucket signals the waiter that you may want a second bottle, but always leave an empty bottle upside down, no matter what. Never leave the bottle on the table, but return it to the ice bucket, if you've been waiting too long for your server to re-fill your glass. Never store a bottle of champagne upright. It dries out the cork, and it may go flying when you open it. It also releases a ir into the champagne. Always open the bottle pointing it away from people. Wait for the host or server to re-fill your glass. It could be a $1,000 bottle of champagne, and you don't want to be taking more than your share of a pricey bottle. There's an art to ordering and drinking champagne, and most of it comes down to not seeking attention.

I once had my housekeeper come for Christmas dinner. I served Taittinger, and she didn't now how to drink it. She chugged the glass like a bottle of beer and held out her glass for more!

by Anonymousreply 32October 4, 2015 7:44 AM

R32 has some good advice. I like to hold the cork and twist the bottle. It never explodes that way, just gently pops off.

by Anonymousreply 33October 4, 2015 7:49 AM

[R32] Here again. Last month a friend and I had something big to celebrate, so we decided to go out for lobster and champagne. We were in nice jeans and tops, not dressed up by any means, but acceptable at that restaurant. I ordered the Dom (the best they had) by pointing to it on the wine menu, so my guest would not know the price. The waiter took my order, and came back to check. He pointed at the Dom on the list and moved his finger across to the price. I nodded, and said that was the one. No price or even the type of champagne was mentioned. Just try to stay under the radar when ordering fine wines and champagne.

by Anonymousreply 34October 4, 2015 7:56 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 4, 2015 8:03 AM

it makes a phenomenal douche

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2015 6:56 PM

"If you pour out the last glass, take the bottle to the kitchen and bring out a new one. "

This reply by r7 made me laugh, instructions for the retarded LOL

As a Frenchie these type of threads make me sad because I know very well that 90% of the price of a Champagne bottle is the label stuck on it. A lot of the best sparkle wines I've ever had in my life were Crémants and conversly there are demonic Champagnes out there that cost an arm.

All this proper etiquette bs re:drinking Champagne seems to only serve the purpose of making people nervous and self-conscious. It's just wine..

If I had to suggest a castle I'd say Boursault (Veuve Clicquot) because I never had a bottle that wasn't great. But that's the only one.

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2015 7:18 PM

Another vote for cremants and also Californian methode champenoise - buy, drink it, enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2015 7:26 PM

[quote] Californian methode champenoise

Please... How about Chinese Bordeaux?

by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2015 7:40 PM

I hear the Chinese are going for quality food and wine exports but haven't seen any results yet. Foie gras, organic produce, wine and methode champenoise sparklies. Have you tried anything?

by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2015 7:43 PM

[quote]Oh, for Christ's sake... Sabering? Sounds like someone has a willful negligence suit wish.

Nothing dangerous about it, [R14], unless you don't know what you're doing and you're total klutz. It can also be done with a meat cleaver. If you're right-handed, left thumb in the punt, four fingers below supporting the bottle at an upward angle. Take the meat cleaver (or saber) in your right hand. Slide it along the throat of the bottle til it hits the neck. Tap it twice to get your range, and strike it hard the third time. The glass will break cleanly.

It's fun and much easier than it sounds.

by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2015 8:14 PM

There are some wonderful sparking wines from California, and many people like Washington State sparking wines, but I find most of the Washington wines too sweet for my taste.

Yes, champagne and sparking wine is delicious and fun, but there is stlll a certain expectaton of manners and protocol while ordering and drinking them, whether you're from France or not. OP was asking what is the proper way to serve champagne. There IS proper way to order it whether you're in the U.S. or in France, just as there is a proper way to order anything from a menu or a proper way to give your meal order to your server. After awhile, it becomes second nature. Whether we like it or not, we are judged by servers, wine stewards, sommeliers and the guests at our tables. How you order and drink champagne and sparking wine says a lot about your life experiences and whether you're used to the finer things in life. Business deals or work advancement can hinge on proper restaurant etiquette or in somebody's home, showing that you are at ease in any situation, and can handle yourself properly with the biggest clients and in a world setting, maybe even in France. Simply being from France does not automatically mean that you know proper manners or etiquitte.

Say you're invited to the home of your corporate president. The proper way applies here, too, and you certainly do not reach across the table to take the last glass from the bottle being served. You don't go to the kitchen to get another bottle. and you don't try to saber a bottle. Again, there is a proper way to handle yourself in home situations, too. Yes, it is just wine, but how you order it, serve it and drink it makes a difference, even in France.

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2015 7:38 AM

Of course if you are the host, you DO go to the kitchen and get another bottle when you pour out the last glass from the one in the dining room. Who else is going to do that - unless you have help? Which most of us do NOT. And you don't leave an empty bottle of wine or champagne, on your home dining table, when you have guests and everyone is eating.

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2015 7:46 AM

Oh, but your corporate president may have help in the home, and you shoud be prepared for and at ease with that. Of course, when you are in your own home, you to go to the kitchen and get another bottle. It's the proper thing to do, because it is considered rude to leave your guests wanting more. See, etiquitte comes into play again.

by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2015 7:54 AM

[quote]There are some wonderful sparking wines from California, and many people like Washington State sparking wines,

Are you a firestarter?

The word is SPARKLING.

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2015 3:27 PM

Ha ha! I enjoy a good spark every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2015 4:42 AM

[R45] I just re-read my post. How could I have typed sparking three times? It's sparkLing.

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2015 4:55 AM

Veuve or Moët must be the worst of the mainstream marques, Bollinger might be the best. But if you want real champagne drink Krug. Even Dom, Cristal et al don't compare. Never had a really great crémant, but it's reasonable to think they could be better option than 'bargain' champers.

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2015 6:10 AM

I happen to like Veuve, especially the Grande Dame, but agree that Moet and Dom are not my favorites. I find Taittinger and Bollinger comparable (my two favorites), but I've never tried Krug. I'll have to give it a try.

[R48] Can you give me a rundown on Krug? Flavor, dryness, etc. I don't like sweet or fruity wines.

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2015 7:14 AM

R49 What sets Krug apart is the 6-8 years the wine spends sur lie, as opposed to the regulation 1.5. This basically gives you the diametric opposite of the fizzy apple juice style.

Keywords: think richness, depth, intensity, body. Always elegant. Notes: think honey, brioche, toasted nuts, dried fruits, spice. Impeccably dry.

I drink it above plenty of serious white Burgundy.

by Anonymousreply 50October 15, 2015 8:03 AM

Thanks, OP. I'm going to try it. Sounds delicious.

by Anonymousreply 51October 15, 2015 9:43 AM

[quote]What is the proper way to serve champagne?

From a young man's anus, of course.

by Anonymousreply 52October 16, 2015 6:14 AM

R52 yuck 🤮

by Anonymousreply 53July 2, 2021 2:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!