Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Take A Glass Together", from Grand Hotel

Thanks to the [italic]Semi-famous actors who died of AIDS[/italic] thread, I just discovered this amazing performance!

How the hell could Michael Jeter throw himself around like a rag doll that way? Was he on a wire with a harness under his tux?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 15, 2018 6:14 AM

Amazing!

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2015 2:50 PM

This always makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2015 3:13 PM

I wonder how he could sing during the first rubber-leg bit. I realize that it isn't difficult, but would still be too winded to get the words out.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2015 3:18 PM

I showed it to the daughter of a friend of mine who is just getting interested in musical theatre.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2015 3:19 PM

He was wonderful in Evening Shade. Anyone remember the nudist camp episode? So funny.

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2015 3:33 PM

I had the privilege of seeing Jeter in Grand Hotel and this joyously heartbreaking number brought down the house. In my mind, it is second only to Jennifer Holiday's showstopper in Dreamgirls.

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2015 3:42 PM

I always enjoy this clip! It makes me kinda sad to realize just how much aids impacted the arts,so much wonderful talent lost.

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2015 3:48 PM

I saw "Grand Hotel" in previews with my smart ass friend Ellen.

In the middle of the opening number, as we meet all the characters, she leaned over and said, "The little dying Jew will do his big "To LIFE!" number that will bring down the house, then drop dead."

It's an awful show. Two hours, no intermission. Everyone would have left!

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2015 3:50 PM

Ry8, our friend Ellen sounds like a vile, sorry little bitch!

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2015 4:20 PM

Did Ellen change her name to Julie?

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2015 4:23 PM

OP, thank you SO much for posting this! I remember it from the Tonys (I think?); also from at least one PBS Bway special over the years. WHat a great, great talent; gone too soon. I could KICK myself that moved from NYC back to SF in 1988, thus missing this on Bway. Damn damn damn. SO glad there's this clip out there.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2015 4:30 PM

Love you R11, but that was mlop territory.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2015 4:32 PM

He was phenomenal and gone way too soon! Thank you for posting!

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2015 4:32 PM

[quote] I had the privilege of seeing Jeter in Grand Hotel

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2015 4:43 PM

Another classic Michael Jeter scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2015 5:05 PM

So much to say about this clip and like R2, it always makes me smile. Thanks to the Tonys for giving us a permanent memory.

r3, if you watch closely, at 1:16 when he really starts moving, he sings very little. His voice cuts out and fades as he basically "talks" a word or two, then pauses for a moment to join Brent Barrett, who does most of the singing. The chorus sings for the rest of the number. It's a brilliant bit of staging, but even so Michael had to have really saved his breath so he could sing his one line when he hit his mark.

r7, another thing I can never forget when seeing this clip was that David Barron had to step out of the show because he was dying, which is why Brent Barrett took over the role. Barron died during the cast recording and never finished it, leaving only a bonus track.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2015 5:18 PM

Jeter did not actually die from an illness brought on by his HIV; he died from an epileptic seizure.

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2015 5:20 PM

Jeter was brilliant in everything he did.

by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2015 6:33 PM

Who was the other rubber limbed actor who died of AIDS. He was a favorite down at the Public. I think he was in 3P and Pirates.

by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2015 7:09 PM

Even better. Under the snow and on wet pavement.

David Carroll is wonderful too.

This is really magnificent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2015 8:10 PM

I can't believe they didn't slip in that clip at r20 with the slick pavement!

However, I bet they were grateful to just lipsync (the first time as a child I went to the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade I was horrified to learn that all the singers are pre-recorded).

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2015 10:53 PM

[quote]Who was the other rubber limbed actor who died of AIDS. He was a favorite down at the Public. I think he was in 3P and Pirates.

Tony Azito?

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2015 11:08 PM

R22, that is him. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2015 11:22 PM

Where is the semi famous actors who died of aids thread

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2015 11:40 PM

David ... so pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 4, 2015 9:54 AM

Wow. He WAS beautiful, R25. BTW, I'd certainly heard about Carroll dying during the cast recording of Grand Hotel, but I didn't realize this was in '92. Why was the cast recording delayed that long after the show had opened? Surely a hit show back then could afford to make a cast recording?

by Anonymousreply 26October 4, 2015 10:05 AM

[quote] another thing I can never forget when seeing this clip was that David Barron had to step out of the show because he was dying,

David Carroll, not Barron.

by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2015 10:07 AM

I started watching Tony broadcasts in the mid 90s. I think the Sunset Blvd year may have been my first. I've, of course, seen dozens of clips of performances and even acceptance speeches from Tony broadcasts from as far back as the 60s, but I've never come across any kind of tribute to the great many theatre people lost to AIDS. Has there ever been a Tony broadcast that had any kind of acknowledgment of this devastating loss for the industry? I'm not talking about the red ribbons or a passing mention of a deceased friend or creative partner, but anything official - a speech, a special number? There must have been years in which the in memoriam reels were filled with young men taken well before their time.

[quote]Where is the semi famous actors who died of aids thread

R24 - the search function works pretty well if you make sure that "subject only" is selected. But in the spirit of this wonderful moment from Grand Hote, let's take the URL, together....

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2015 10:12 AM

Oops. And there I go leaving the URL off. Here's the semi-famous actors who died of AIDS thread. Pretty much guaranteed to make you misty eyed...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 4, 2015 10:14 AM

That was fucking brilliant, OP.

by Anonymousreply 30October 4, 2015 10:17 AM

R26, there has been lots of discussion over the delays over the years, but until someone writes an "official" version, it's mostly gossip. There were allegedly conflicts between Yeston, Wright and Forrest, possibly over shares but also whether the score could be improved before the London premiere, before putting out an official recording. There were allegedly other thoughts about costs and investors, whether it would recoup the investment for production. Keep in mind also that Carroll was ill before the Tonys, which is why Barrett stepped in so early in the run. Despite claims that Barron would have done it when he was well, with the other possible hindrances to the recording, its production was not likely to happen. I seem to recall the mixed reviews of the show and score were offset by the Tonys, and by that time Carroll was sick. It's possible delays were also made to have him on the recording.

Keep in mind that this show was already 30 years old after never making it to Broadway with mixed reviews and bad luck, partly why Yeston was called in to prop up the score. It still didn't help the reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 4, 2015 11:07 AM

I am so glad to see that "Let#d Take a Glass Together" is not a Yeston song.

by Anonymousreply 32October 4, 2015 12:49 PM

I cry seeing the clip at OP. It is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 33October 4, 2015 7:17 PM

I do too, sometimes, R33, mostly because the more you watch it, you see the craft of what it took to make it look so joyous and effortless. And yet it one person on stage fucked up, the illusion would fall apart.

Jeter's hand work is incredible. He looks like he's resting on a real drinking "bar" at one point. Even when he "reaches over the bar" to grab a drink, you can see how controlled it is but it doesn't break the illusion. To "hit your mark" like that throughout the piece is magical.

The bar holders singing that whatever they're singing ("bubble up?" ba-da-bum?) -- no idea but perfect counterpoint to the melody.

The "chorus/dancers" are right on the money, like a moving tapestry behind it at first, and then they lift that song to another level. I don't know if they have some other chorus behind them, but it looks like they are singing that song, harmonizing it, while they dance, perfectly in sync.

And then there's Barrett, charming as he can be, doesn't stand out, just blends in. In some ways, he's a more believable con artist than Carroll, he's got the right amount of smarm, but when he sings, you totally get the conviction that he's "raising a glass" to the fool in a genuine way because he knows with his looks he can "be" that "genuine" and get away with it.

And it's all woven together just right so Jeter can do his thing and shine. It's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 34October 9, 2015 10:31 AM

Here’s more Grand Hotel with the original cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2018 6:20 PM

For those wondering, he is using the bar when he does the footwork that looks as if it would require a harness. This musical number is sort of a gymnastics routine hybrid where he is using the bar/dance bar like one of the parallel bars in gymnastics. The guys holding the bar really have to work with him through the number as well like dance partners. It was very cleverly choreographed.

And he was great.

RIP Mr Noodle.

by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2018 8:20 PM

The original link has been taken down. Here is another...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 15, 2018 6:03 AM

David Carroll singing ‘Love can’t happen’ is just amazing.

by Anonymousreply 38April 15, 2018 6:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!