Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The most miserable time in your life

Now. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2020 12:57 AM

During my 20s. I was a doormat and plenty of people knew where they could wipe their feet.

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2015 5:13 AM

Right now. I have had repeated (nearly 10) surgeries to fix one botched procedure... that has basically left me with a body part that may be deformed for the rest of my life - all because the first doctor fucked up.

These revision procedures have gone on for 6 months, I've gained 20 lbs during the process because it's hard to really exercise or do much with an open wound and stitches, repeatedly. Now, I finally have the last set of stitches out - and I look like Frankenstein. They say that I'll look "better" in a year, but if these fuck ups never happened... I never would've had to endure all of this. It's been hell, and I am not sure how I am even getting through it - I've had to go on multiple psychiatric drugs.

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2015 5:24 AM

Hang in there, R2, hate hearing that. Pain trumps every other problem. Hope the worst is indeed over.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2015 5:27 AM

Thanks R3. I hope so too. Most of it is on me now to use the skin expander device & see if I can get back to normal without a skin graft or more surgery.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2015 5:35 AM

Jan-Feb, 2014. Over a period of 24 days, my father died, my uncle died, my father's best friend (who was like an uncle) died, and my mother dislocated her hip -- twice! I left my mother's bedside, following hip surgery, to drive to my father's hospital, across town, in order to remove him from life-support (per his advance directive) and sit vigil. That was some pretty fucked-up shit. And I was dealing with it alone, as my brother was stuck on East Coast due to a series of bad storms. I'm still not sure how I made it through that period with my sanity intact.

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2015 9:03 PM

R2 can you post a picture?

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2015 9:07 PM

middle school, 1987-1989. everybody knew I was gay but I hadn't yet found the footing to tell them to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2015 9:57 PM

The years when I was 12 and/or 13.

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2015 10:18 PM

Agree with OP: NOW. To a hideous extent. Sigh. Up to me to change things...

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2015 10:45 PM

High school. Bullies at school, plus emotional, and sexual abuse at home.

The only bright side to all that is that adulthood has been a total breeze by comparison!

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2015 10:51 PM

2011 1990

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2015 10:57 PM

The most miserable time in my life was from 7th to 10th grade. I was a homely, terribly shy, late-bloomer.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2015 10:58 PM

1981 was also hard because I had a suicidal depression. I couldn't seem to make myself do anything.

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2015 11:12 PM

Late 2014/early 2015

I got screwed over by a friend who turned out to be a scam artist and legit psychopath. Then 2 family members passed away within days of each other, then I had a serious health problem that didn't get healed until recently.

I'm still trying to clean up the mess of last year.

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2015 11:19 PM

Wow. What's the story, r11? Break-ups?

by Anonymousreply 15October 4, 2015 12:57 AM

I'd say the panic I felt after my first layoff in 2001.

by Anonymousreply 16October 4, 2015 1:30 PM

When my mother died.

by Anonymousreply 17October 4, 2015 1:35 PM

About 20 years ago. Within one week, I was diagnosed with cancer. My dad (who was my best friend) died (I was glad only because my cancer would have freaked him out). I was fired and expelled from school (for being a whistleblower about grant fraud -- I subsequently won a False Claims Act lawsuit). I was evicted from my campus apartment (since I no longer qualified for it). And my "friends" scattered because they were afraid they, too, would be expelled. I remember lying in bed after these seven horrible days and wondering if life was worth living.

Within a year, I was healthy again. I was enrolled in a better PhD program from which I graduated three years later. I had a wonderful job (one of the university philanthropists knew about my whistleblowing and brought me in as a consultant for his foundation; I subsequently worked my way up to president). And I found true friends.

It's horrible when bad things happen. But, given time, things turn around. I know that the bottom could drop out again but I also know I'd just need to work my way out of the hole again. The critical thing is making sure that you are always doing the right thing even when it would be easier to do otherwise.

I wish everyone here who is going through tough times the very best.

by Anonymousreply 18October 4, 2015 1:42 PM

R18, your story gives me hope. My condolences to you in your loss of your father. I am glad you are doing so well!

by Anonymousreply 19October 4, 2015 4:15 PM

2016. Three family members died in short succession and I had an awful break up with the total asshole I was dating at the time.

by Anonymousreply 20April 5, 2020 3:15 PM

R18 your story is inspiring. Glad you’re having better times.

by Anonymousreply 21April 5, 2020 3:23 PM

OP, you poor deprived baby!

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2020 3:46 PM

Chemotherapy

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2020 12:19 AM

Mid 1979 to early 1980. Screwed by what should have been my own kind due to reverse sexism from a nasty lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2020 12:26 AM

right now

divorce and corona virus and moving back to flyoverstan

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2020 12:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!