Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

There is STILL no such phrase/words as "should of, could of, would of"

But you wouldn't know it, since so many fuckwitted morons use it every day.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2020 2:54 AM

Their they're, OP. Calm down. Your going to loose you're mind.

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2015 10:41 PM

"I could care less!"

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2015 10:44 PM

I should have viciously face slapped OP, I certainly could have viciously face slapped OP and I would have viciously face slapped OP if he/she was here with me.

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2015 10:45 PM

You really got your point acrost.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2015 10:46 PM

Yeah, and there is no "i" after the "n"in aluminum but that doesn't stop Brits from pronouncing it "al u min i um." Language is very idiosyncratic in the real world OP. Not everyone is as perfect as we here at the DL.

by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2015 10:49 PM

Isn't it: "could have, should have, would have" in that order?

Either way, I have never heard anyone say this in real life.

by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2015 10:49 PM

Deep-seeded habits are hard to break. Loose the attitude, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2015 10:50 PM

If you're gonna whine about something, OP, get it right . . . . .

COULD-A, WOULD-A, SHOULD-A !

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2015 10:56 PM

Watch choo talkin bout, OP?

You really axskin for it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 2, 2015 10:59 PM

I'vd done forgot what I was going to say.

by Anonymousreply 10October 2, 2015 11:02 PM

You people are harsh. It's a doggie dog world for sure!

by Anonymousreply 11October 2, 2015 11:05 PM

It blows my mind how people don't realize that what they are hearing is "should've". As in, "should have". Writing "should of" is right up there with "supposably" as far as pet peeves.

by Anonymousreply 12October 2, 2015 11:41 PM

Suffice to say, I have a deep-seeded desire to give people who say "should of" there just desserts.

by Anonymousreply 13October 2, 2015 11:45 PM

You can't teach an old dog to fetch new sticks.

by Anonymousreply 14October 2, 2015 11:51 PM

Who could and should have wood?

Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 15October 2, 2015 11:56 PM

Alot of people spell that way. Their's nothing wrong with it.

by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2015 12:08 AM

For all intensive purposes, this thread is close.

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2015 12:36 AM

This gets me so flustrated.....well, kindly flustrated.

by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2015 1:33 AM

"Should've" is a perfectly acceptable contraction, but I've had several spellcheckers flag it. Maybe it's preferable to use it only in speaking, but not in writing.

by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2015 2:23 AM

For all intensive purposes, could have and could of are the same.

by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2015 2:26 AM

My car failed the emissions inspection. My mechanic says I have to get a new Cadillac converter.

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2015 3:05 AM

Oh FANK you OP for being such a tension whore!

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2015 10:57 AM

There is STILL no such words?

Really, OP?

by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2015 7:32 PM

OP is definately in the wrong website jandra if spelling is his fortay.

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2015 7:47 PM

Get over it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 9:20 PM

I wouldn’t step foot in OP’s house. He’s probably bunkered down in their.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 9:28 PM

That must’ve been OP’s brain that washed up in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2020 10:31 PM

R25 is the 2015 bump troll.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2020 11:29 PM

I’ve never seen anyone write “should of” but if they say it, it’s a legitimate contraction of should have: should’ve It’s in the dictionary OP.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2020 1:56 AM

OP, the use of "should of," "could of," and "would of" bothers me, too, but I'm afraid it's too late to nip the problem in the butt.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2020 2:03 AM

You couldn’t be more wrong, R29. You’re part of the problem in not understanding that.

by Anonymousreply 31September 17, 2020 2:14 AM

WTF? It's "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda".

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2020 2:24 AM

I taught at various community and four-year colleges for about six years, and now I work for admissions (reading essays) at a large public university, and I can tell you point blank what the problem is: these generations (anyone under 40) don't read. And because they don't read, they can't write. And even if they do read, their reading material is not up to snuff. For example, I read at least one misspelled word in the online WAPO every single day -- and I only read the first page!

I remember a student who wrote "It's a doggie dog world" in a paper, and I called him aside after class. I asked him, "What does that mean? Does that even make any sense to you?" He said, "Well, I thought, like, Snoop Doggy Dog." When I explained "it's a dog-eat-dog world" to him, he did admit that my suggestion made much more sense.

But the problem is that they NEVER see these words in print -- and that's why they spell them phonetically.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2020 2:31 AM

OP is LITERALLY losing his mind over this.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2020 2:44 AM

It’s a contraction, moron.

Should’ve

Could’ve

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2020 2:46 AM

I concur, R33. I read admissions essays for a living, and I am astounded by the grammatical and spelling errors (like all of these above) and the inability of the writer to answer the essay question. 500 words and they go off on tangents which make no sense, have no relation to each other, and they sum up with a concluding statement which can turn their previous thoughts upside down.

I read a sentence of 108 words yesterday which had no punctuation, a few misspellings and changes in tense. The writer substituted "U" for "you" and "2moro" for "tomorrow". This is a university which accepts about 30% of its applicants. One of the rules of thumb: If we don't want our professors to have to deal with these kids for four years, we don't accept them.

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2020 2:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!