Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My dysfunctional AA meeting... "Im so and so and Im an addict" version

I still laugh after all these years at the losers who come to AA and refuse to say they are alcoholic. So, they love to look special and say they are "addicts," some for the shame, which they will drink over if they dont get over, and some because they have to be special and different, which they will drink over if they dont get over, and some becuase they wont go to the meeting like Crystal Meth or Cocaine anonymous, which they will use over if they dont get over.... but the ones I laugh the most at are the fat fraus who really are addicted to food, and scared to go to overeaters anonymous (as if everyone cant see they are addicted to food.)

So, bore me with your insistence on not identifying as an alcoholic. Most of you are, and if you arent go to your own meeting or go back out. who cares.

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2020 2:04 AM

OP I suggest you seek out a local meeting of CA

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2015 2:31 AM

As long as there is no cross talk.

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2015 3:25 AM

I know of a meeting that greets newcomers with this statement:

"Before you speak you say 'I'm so-and-so and I'm an alcoholic'. You do not say that you're an addict or say anything else, "so that were all equal". At he end, we say the Lord's Prayer, but nothing else. We don't say anything about '...coming back...because it works if you work it' or similar. If you can agree to this, you are welcome to stay."

So, I figured some truly f'd up person got control of their group consciousness meeting, and rammed-through a bunch of fussy rules. No matter. I can't understand, though, why anyone is threatened by however anyone else identifies themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2015 3:37 AM

I know a woman who would not say she was an alcoholic, but would instead say she's a problem drinker. She didn't stick around long enough to realize that they are the same thing. I think the difference to her was that she felt she could resume drinking after learning about how bad alcoholism can get for others. Saying that you are an alcoholic makes it hard to resume drinking again, should that be of interest to the person.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2015 3:42 AM

Is it just one "I hate AA" troll?

by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2015 3:45 AM

A speaker I heard once claimed to be an alcoholic and addict. He said if you're an alcoholic but not an addict, it just means that you must be old. Then everybody laughed along with him.

by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2015 3:45 AM

I think there is just one that is single handedly trying to bring AA to its knees. He writes like the guy who is single handedly trying to convince everyone that Jesus didn't exist, because there is no God, etc.

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2015 3:49 AM

I don't understand your problem.

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2015 4:01 AM

I used to go to AA meetings TO MEAT and fuck men!

by Anonymousreply 9October 2, 2015 4:26 AM

OP,.don't you think you should stick to taking your own inventory?

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2015 12:00 AM

Do you stand up and say "I'm X and I'm a judgmental cunt"?

You aren't telling the truth either are you?

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2015 12:02 AM

R11, wit of the day.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2015 12:19 AM

OP doesn't speak. He expects the group to pull him out of his shell to reveal the terrifying wonder of his tortured existence.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2015 12:35 AM

[quote]shame, which they will drink over if they dont get over

I wonder if these people don't even realize they spout these trite little truisms.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2015 12:53 AM

OP, all those years not drinking should give some free time. Use it to learn basic English grammar and spelling.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2015 1:51 AM

Oh, R15, you're gonna make him drink, meanie!

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2015 3:14 AM

You know, I don't know why so many people have a problem with addicts in AA. We allow food and love addicts in our Gay Men's AA group.

by Anonymousreply 17May 9, 2016 9:12 PM

I know of a meeting that is intended for people "working one or more programs". But the other Gay meetings I know of welcome anybody, as far as I know.

by Anonymousreply 18May 9, 2016 10:16 PM

R18 So, what is the point of it being a Gay group if anyone can attend.....wouldn't that be Queer meeting?In fact, let's get this right .....NO longer let it be the "gays" accepting ALL comers. That is the job of the Queers!!!

by Anonymousreply 19May 9, 2016 11:47 PM

R19 you obviously are out of touch. Amy Dresner wrote that her sponsor ordered her to attend gay male meetings for her first year because it would help her concentrate on recovery instead of getting laid.

by Anonymousreply 20May 10, 2016 12:26 AM

There are no gay meetings, only gay people.

by Anonymousreply 21May 10, 2016 12:38 AM

I would love to see chapter and verse on what it means that a meeting is designated to be "Gay".

Some interpret this designation to mean that straights are not welcome.

Others interpret this designation to mean that the attendees are mostly Gays and there should be no pearl clutching if someone talks about their husbear, or similar.

This designation is discussed occasionally in group conscious meetings, but people are stubborn so no decision is made. Occassionally a new person walks into a meeting that is not marked Gay, but which only Gays go to, and the new person freaks out. I was speaking once and a guy stood up and said "Is this a Gay meeting? I don't go to Gay meetings! I go to Church!" Then he flounced out.

by Anonymousreply 22May 10, 2016 12:48 AM

OP is what makes the AA cult so insufferable. Some really good people but a lot of assholes.

by Anonymousreply 23May 10, 2016 12:48 AM

Another tiresome NA/AA thread by OP who apparently is threatened by people who attend such meetings in order to improve themselves. Get a hobby and stop going to 12-step meetings. You do not outrank the people who are there.

by Anonymousreply 24May 10, 2016 1:02 AM

R20 The "sponsor" *may* have "ordered" her.....The Gay men don't "have" to follow the "order". I would have sent the entitled bitch on her way with a fucking song in her heart....a song of death. Fuck! I'd "demand" to meet the fucking sponsor! I'm not so "out of touch" that you'd make the same fucking mistake twice.

by Anonymousreply 25May 10, 2016 1:09 AM

Whoops! A few to many quotation marks there....apologies!

by Anonymousreply 26May 10, 2016 1:20 AM

*too

by Anonymousreply 27May 10, 2016 1:21 AM

Gay meetings are designed to be straight friendly.

by Anonymousreply 28May 10, 2016 12:31 PM

R28, what does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 29May 10, 2016 3:03 PM

What do you mean, "what does that mean?"

Which word did you not understand?

It means that straights are welcome to attend [if they don't freak out and insult any gays] but most of the people attending are gay.

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2016 6:38 PM

Does anyone else find the OP's post unintelligible?

"Drink over to get over", wtf does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2016 6:39 PM

AA is a cult

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2016 6:42 PM

[quote]We allow food and love addicts in our Gay Men's AA group.

Love addicts? This is why people hate listening to recovery bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2016 6:43 PM

R8 - you are my hero.

by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2016 7:22 PM

I was going to AA and was getting tired of it. Then the last straw was this unhinged head case I "know" from another situation (business) was up there giving out the chips at the end of the meeting. I walked out and never went back to AA after that.

by Anonymousreply 35May 26, 2016 9:32 PM

AA is more miserable than heavy drinking

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2016 6:57 PM

OP's post is why I find AA insufferable. Who gives a fuck why someone is there if their goal is sobriety from any substance and to better themselves? AA can be beautiful if any given group sticks to their primary purpose and help others achieve sobriety- from whatever substance. We are all suffering in some way; being an alcoholic in AA does not make anyone superior or special. OP is a judgmental fuck and why I chose to support my sobriety in other ways other than AA.

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2016 8:44 PM

It is a tough thing to admit. Once you say the word, it's official. Nobody sets out to be an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2020 2:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!