Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you know any gay siblings?

Yesterday met a gay brother and sister who are running their parents farm. Met a lot of gay people over the years but this is the first time I've met gay siblings.

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2020 4:00 PM

An ex-boyfriend had a lesbian sister (I'm a guy...obviously). He was from a somewhat rural/rustic area of Virginia, but fortunately his family was pretty progressive.

Everyone loved his sister's girlfriend, but I merely felt tolerated (he had only come out several months before we started dating). He also had a straight sister who was supportive.

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2015 5:13 PM

A friend of mine is a twin and they're both gay.

Now my best friend is the youngest of 5 siblings and we have major suspicions one of his older brothers is gay (the older brother in question is a catholic priest).

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2015 5:25 PM

The love of my life (I thought at the time) has a gay brother. They are their parents' only children. I gradually became best friends and occasional fuck buddies with brother #2 after the breakup with brother #1, but it made it hard to feel truly broken up with #1. I ended up having sex with both of them long after #1 and I had technically broken up, though we never a three-way.

For the curious, no, they did not have identical dicks.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2015 5:27 PM

Several. A close friend is gay, as is his brother. Their parents figured at least one of them was gay they just argued over which one. Then they both came out.

My best friend from high school is also gay with a gay brother. He came out first and was a huge disappointment to his Catholic parents after always being the favorite son, but then his brother came out and with the gay thing being moot my friend resumed his role as good son and their Mom had lots of therapy.

I've known others, too. It seems fairly common.

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2015 5:29 PM

My grandmother has 3 out of 4 grandchildren that are gay. My two male cousins and myself are all gay, and my brother is the only straight one out of all of us. I am the youngest and was the first to come out in my 20s, and they came out in their late 30s and mid 40s respectively.

3/4 makes me think that nature is trying to end that branch of the family tree. None of us really have any interest in having kids, and my brother has 3 daughters, so the family name dies with our generation.

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2015 5:37 PM

My husband's only sibling was also gay.

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2015 5:41 PM

My brother (younger) is gay, and I'm bi. Only half brothers though.

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2015 5:45 PM

I have a gay brother and know so many gays and lesbians with gay siblings I can't count them all.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2015 5:50 PM

Yes. My brother and I. And a lot of others. Too many to mention and too commonplace to even notice anymore. Gay brothers, lesbian sisters, several sets of twins and more than a few mixed-gender siblings who are gay. I know one family with 5 boys and all were gay (eventually). I am more shocked to discover people like OP still exist. There have been countless studies on this.

We get this thread every few years from a particularly sheltered poster. It always amazes me that there are out gay people who are shocked by gay siblings.

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2015 5:51 PM

A friend from college is gay and has two gay brothers and a straight sister.

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2015 5:57 PM

Way back when I was in college in the 70's, there were 4 brothers who were all gay. The two in the middle (age-wise) were twins. All in the 20's and very cute (twins the cutest). There was one Saturday night when all four were at the same bar. Needless to say, they were the object of many a fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2015 5:59 PM

Know a guy who is one of 12 children, 6 males and 6 females. There are 3 gay men and 3 lesbians among the siblings. After the "revelation" from the third one, their mother would just chuckle and nudge her husband, then say, "Well Joe, here comes another one," when one of her kids had an announcement to make.

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2015 9:01 PM

I've known a few over the years. I knew one guy with AIDS who died around 2006 aged 40. His brother had been gay and had been an AIDS victim a number of years before. Their parents lost two sons but they also had a straight daughter as their remaining child. Sad situation.

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2015 9:12 PM

Gay man here and my sister is gay.

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2015 9:14 PM

I know several sets of gay identical twin brothers.

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2015 9:21 PM

One of my friends (a gay male) has one brother and one sister... both homosexual.

So that's three gay siblings (out of three) in one family.

True fact.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2015 10:05 PM

My little brother (I'm the middle of five children -- 3 boys and 2 girls) and I are both gay. We're now 35 and 31, respectively. However, I've been out since I was 15, but my brother was in the closet and in denial until 3 years ago. He came out on this 28th birthday. Literally. He brought his boyfriend to his party without warning. Not that we never suspected. Please. We all used to tease him about coming out since he was a teen. But he had never had even one toe out the closet door and then BAM! he shows up with his boyfriend in tow.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2015 10:13 PM

Bisexual male here. My younger full sister is gay. My younger half-sister's boyfriend just came out as a transgender female, but he still presents as a male much of the time. I also have a gay half-cousin.

My oldest sister's ex-boyfriend had a son and daughter who both grew up to be bisexual.

My cousin has a son and daughter, and both have identified at as bisexual at one point, although the daughter currently has a boyfriend, and the son currently identifies as straight, although he's had a boyfriend in the past (he's only 14).

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2015 10:16 PM

What? but of course!

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2015 10:18 PM

Two sets of siblings from different families come to mind. Two brothers. A brother and his half sister (same father.)

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2015 10:45 PM

A goodlooking gay guy I knew at school and kept in touch with, was always very 'now' - wore the right clothes, was always around the right people and places, went to the right university, ended up working at the right magazine and then moved rapidly upwards in London circles, regaling me with telephone calls outlining his fabulous lifestyle.....

However, during the late 90s, the calls took on a different tone as his geeky, unattractive brother had returned to the UK after a couple of years travelling, only to announce that he too was gay and did no more than move to London, intent on riding the coat tails of his brother's shimmering lifestyle - much to his embarrassment, annoyance and frustration. Two gay brothers at opposite ends of social spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2015 11:10 PM

No offense R21 but your buddy sounds like a douchebag. Was their relationship strained before to cause him to act that way towards his brother or was he just obsessed with being an A-gay?

by Anonymousreply 22October 2, 2015 2:40 PM

Also, R21, it sounds as if you are defending your "very 'now'" friend. Are you as cuntescent as he is?

by Anonymousreply 23October 2, 2015 2:51 PM

Yes, my 2nd-best-friend has a gay brother, 6 years younger than he (we're ALL old.) Brother is a completely different personality: quiet, reclusive, short-tempered; my friend is kind, pleasant and chatty. And OP, there are well-known - sort of - gay siblings out there, correct? Roseanne's brother and sister?

by Anonymousreply 24October 2, 2015 3:59 PM

Yes, two sets of brothers in my family tree.

by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2015 4:06 PM

I have a brother who is gay. He's older and was married to a woman and had kids. So I guess he's a bisexual brother who now has a male partner. I came out years ago and dealt with crap like "do you need to see a psychiatrist?" He got "great, you're gay."

by Anonymousreply 26October 2, 2015 4:09 PM

There's even gay twins!

by Anonymousreply 27October 2, 2015 4:26 PM

I think gay siblings or at least cousins is pretty common.

Whether that's due to nature or nurture I have no opinion.

by Anonymousreply 28October 2, 2015 4:41 PM

All of the above plus my own fam seems to indicate that many more than "10%" of the population are gay. That's the statistic I've always heard and it sounds too low.

by Anonymousreply 29October 2, 2015 5:06 PM

I know of gay male twins. They run a gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 30October 2, 2015 5:10 PM

I knew a guy who came from a family of 5 children, 4 boys and 1 girl. All 4 boys are gay.

by Anonymousreply 31October 2, 2015 5:16 PM

My only sibling, a half-brother nine years my senior, is gay.

A friend of mine is from a family of seven kids (4 boys, 3 girls). She and her brother closest to her age (#5 & #6 in birth order) are gay, and they've always assumed their oldest brother (a Catholic priest) is a self-loathing closet case.

by Anonymousreply 32October 2, 2015 7:20 PM

I dated a guy for a year but we broke up and a couple years later I ran into his older brother at a bar - gay bar- and we ended up sleeping together a couple times. The older brother had a much bigger dick.

by Anonymousreply 33October 2, 2015 7:55 PM

Not siblings but my best friend is gay and so is his biological father my best friend was adopted but met his biological parents later in life.

by Anonymousreply 34October 2, 2015 7:59 PM

one of my friends has 2 gay brothers and 1 lesbian sister- 4 for 4!

by Anonymousreply 35October 2, 2015 8:11 PM

When I was a kid, I was neighbors and playmates with two brothers who were obviously gay.

by Anonymousreply 36October 2, 2015 8:29 PM

Tyler Clementi also had a gay brother.

by Anonymousreply 37October 2, 2015 8:31 PM

I remember seeing a documentary(on HBO I think) 10 years ago about a large family with a fundamentalist charismatic Xtian mother and every last one of the adult siblings were gay. That was the one time that I gave serious thought about the nature v nurture question. They were all non-believers and had quite unhappy lives growing up in that home. I'm probably wrong, but if there was a genetic basis for 7 kids all being gay, wouldn't there be more families full of gay siblings? This thread proves that there certainly are more than a few cases of it happening, but SEVEN??? Doesn't that sound a little odd? Oh, and none of them were twins.

by Anonymousreply 38October 2, 2015 8:46 PM

My closest friend has three gay sons, she and her husband are very proud of their sons. She said her oldest son was four years old when he said "Don't be dowdy mother."

One is a professor, one is a cop and the youngest is an actuary.

by Anonymousreply 39October 2, 2015 8:59 PM

[quote]Tyler Clementi also had a gay brother.

I hope he's not going to Rutgers.

by Anonymousreply 40October 2, 2015 9:39 PM

I was friends with a lesbian who lived with her gay brother

by Anonymousreply 41October 3, 2015 1:22 AM

My friend Michael, who died of AIDS-related lymphoma a few years ago after having been positive for over two decades, had a gay older brother who died of AIDS back in the early '90s. His parents were devasted to have lost another son to that disease.

by Anonymousreply 42October 3, 2015 2:44 AM

I have a younger brother who is gay. The four siblings run straight, gay, straight, gay. Must have been the influence of distant stars (or random luck).

by Anonymousreply 43October 3, 2015 2:49 AM

I'm the youngest of 3 brothers. The middle brother is straight, but the oldest was gay. He died of AIDS twenty years ago.

Even though I was in a longterm relationship with a woman, for 15 years, the last 10 of which we lived together, and were married for the last six, I still never really thought of myself as bi, though I was able to live the lifestyle to all outward appearances.

I knew a gay man on Kaua'i, who had 4 brothers; all were gay.

by Anonymousreply 44October 3, 2015 3:01 AM

In my family, there's seems to be one gay boy in every generation, all the rest are straight. No lesbians to my knowledge other than possibly maiden great great aunts who all died at 90 something in the 1930s. I'm the gay one for my generation. I have nothing but nieces so don't know about the next yet.

I have plenty of friends who are gay siblings but then there are good friends who are identical twins and one is gay and the other is not (but perhaps the nelliest straight man I know so he may come out at sixty).

by Anonymousreply 45October 3, 2015 3:24 AM

Me and my lezzie sister

by Anonymousreply 46October 3, 2015 11:36 PM

I have a friend from an extremely religious family in Georgia, and he is gay, as are his older and younger brothers. Three boys, all gay. The parents continue to struggle with this aspect of their family to this day.

by Anonymousreply 47October 3, 2015 11:43 PM

One friend is among three siblings and he and one of his brothers is gay. Another friend is among four siblings and she and one of her brothers is gay.

Yet another friend has one twin brother (identical) and an older brother. When my friend came out to his family, his parents and older brother were fine with it. It's been almost 8 years and his twin brother still refuses to speak to him or even be in the same room as him. The twin brother's sexuality is undetermined. He claims to be straight, but at the age of 28 has never had a girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 48October 3, 2015 11:47 PM

There's a Netflix documentary (I think), about a redneck, homophobic mother with five kids, four boys and a girl, all of them gay.

by Anonymousreply 49October 4, 2015 3:37 PM

As far as I recall identical twins are always the same sexual persuasion. Fraternal twins are like regular siblings as are as chances of sexual orientation.

by Anonymousreply 50October 4, 2015 3:45 PM

The cuckoo kills any "siblings" it finds in the nest. Your average gay man is so attention-seeking I don't see how there would be enough to go around if there were two in one family.

by Anonymousreply 51April 5, 2020 3:14 PM

Chloe Moretz has two gay brothers. Mandy Moore also has two gay brothers and their mother is a lesbian or bi.

by Anonymousreply 52April 5, 2020 3:20 PM

Rosie O'Donnell and her brother Daniel.

by Anonymousreply 53April 5, 2020 3:24 PM

I think there's a genetic thing to gayness.

My dad used to borrow his sister's crop tops and Daisy dukes.

by Anonymousreply 54April 5, 2020 3:32 PM

^ and my ultra religious brother definitely pings.

by Anonymousreply 55April 5, 2020 3:34 PM

Gay man here, and my youngest brother is gay too. Seven sibs all together. My mom had three unmarried brothers.

by Anonymousreply 56April 5, 2020 4:00 PM

My ex and his sister, both gay.

They have a half brother and a half sister who are in hetero relationships, but both ping.

They all have the same father.

by Anonymousreply 57April 5, 2020 4:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!