Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dixie Carter Leaving Diff'Rent Strokes

Todd Bridges said of her removal..."Well they didn't call her Dixie Farter for nothing."

Ew she sounds nasty

by Anonymousreply 23May 20, 2018 8:59 PM

She and Gary disliked each other intensely, and she must have used the NBC cancellation as a way out. But by that time, the show was an "is that still on the air?" show. Mary Ann Mobley might have been easier for him to get along with but she just wasn't as good an actress, and it's painfully obvious in the episode where Sam gets kidnapped.

But where's your source for this Bridges comment, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2015 5:44 PM

I bet they called her co-star "Smelta Jerk" for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2015 7:45 PM

Dana Plato said "Damn, I could really use a hit."

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2015 12:46 AM

Dixie had enough of a sense of humor about it to act alongside Mary Ann on an episode of Designing women. Though I thought that episode missed an opportunity to poke fun at the show. They could have even had Conrad Bain pop up in a cameo. Instead, they saved the Cary Coleman/Different Strokes jokes for another episode a few months later.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2015 12:58 AM

"What's dat smell Mistuh D?"

by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2015 2:28 AM

I tried to get them to see the wisdom of writing me in to play Lincoln as a regular character. I was as brilliant as Abe as I was as Twain. Dix said they were quite hateful towards her after that. They thought we were trying to gentrify the show and move them out. Conrad had them convinced he was an octaroon just to get them to lay off him. And Dana - well, she just fucked them all and gave them dope to placate them.

But our friend Anjelica, who was the High Witch of the Hollywood Coven and Lodge by then, said she'd take care of it. And as you can see, she really did.

Sweet. I hate uppity folk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2015 2:37 AM

"And that (FART) just so you know and your children will someday also know (FART) was the night (FART) the lights (FART) went out (FART) in Georgia (FART)!"

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2015 2:46 AM

MAM helped Kimberly with her bulimia.

by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2016 5:38 AM

Did her ancestors own Nell Carter's ancestors?

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2016 5:41 AM

Why did they tell Danny Cooksey to talk like he always had a stuffy nose? He didn't sound like that when he was the voice of Montana Max on [italic]Tiny Toon Adventures[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2016 5:44 AM

Arnold's coffee never had it so good.

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2016 8:42 PM

What do you suppose happen to Mr. Hooper?

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2016 11:36 PM

Mary Ann was miles better

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2017 9:26 AM

Wait, wait.....Gary Coleman and Dixie Carter hated each other?

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2017 9:42 AM

Charlotte Rae returned as Ms. Garrett for one episode in 1984 to attend the wedding of Mr. Drummond and Maggie. She shared scenes with Dixie and told Arnold, Willis and Kimberly about her new business venture Edna's Edibles and what The Facts of Life girls were up to.

by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2017 10:12 AM

I remember a local Minetonka pron star back in the day named "Dicksie Carter". I never got the connection unti now. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2017 11:30 AM

Dixie was kind of sexy in the part.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2018 7:34 PM

[quote] Instead, they saved the Cary Coleman/Different Strokes jokes for another episode a few months later.

What were the jokes?

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2018 7:42 PM

i hated the Sam kid, he ruined the show

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2018 7:53 PM

Putting Dixie in Diff'rent Strokes was like putting Sir Lawrence Olivier is Squarebob Spongepants. What were they, and Dixie, thinking?

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2018 8:09 PM

I think it set the tone when Arnold hated Maggie at first sight.

They never bonded which I guess was kind of realistic.

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2018 8:10 PM

Gary was a holy terror on set and Dixie was having none of that nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 22May 20, 2018 8:18 PM

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 23May 20, 2018 8:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!